UFC 71 Post Fight Discussion

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, Gomi and Arona, I thought of, but I'll give him a pass on the possible injury versus Sakojuwhatever.

Points taken, though, isn't it? Defeat is instructive and can be very motivating.

I never said I thought Franca could take Sherk, just that's he scheduled up next.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Did you have somebody in mind then?

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
No, no one immediately comes to mind. Penn after he Pulverizes Jens?

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
To me that shot Page landed didn't look all that hard. I will not doubt Chuck's chin but it didnt' seem like it should've put him down. Page could have really hurt Liddell if big John didn't step in.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Why does everyone count out Franca? Haven't you guys learned anything from the recent happenings? Hermes has heavy hands and an unorthodox style that can cause problems. His ground game is solid and he can probably neutralize Sherk's GnP. I'll go with him in the upset though Sherk will likely win the decision.

It seems as of recent that no one can defend their title in 2007. Will Anderson defeat Nate or will he also possibly fall along with Sherk and Couture? I don't see Randy beating Gonzaga for several reasons. Gonzaga is a bigger guy with good stand-up and a solid ground game. Randy may have trouble taking him down and even if he does will he be able LnP/GnP for 5 rounds to get the decision? He isn't a finisher so I think Gabriel will catch him eventually.

I'll go with Silva to defend his title as I still think his ground game is underrated and of course his stand-up is bar none in that div.

Skyblue

Skyblue

Awards
my boss lost 200 dollars betting on ol chucky.. as for me.. well im up a couple bucks. RAMPAGE LOOKS LIKE A ****ING DINOSAUR / GORILLA. hes so scary.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Both, actually.

But not really, of course.

Athletic ability I have for miles (moreso than Sherky), but definitely not the skillset that he has.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
To me that shot Page landed didn't look all that hard. I will not doubt Chuck's chin but it didnt' seem like it should've put him down. Page could have really hurt Liddell if big John didn't step in.
The chin is like an off switch. You hit it with a slight amount of force and goodnight..

Brother

Brother

Awards

That exchange could have played out very differently, if Lidell had immediately followed the left hook to the body with a right cross to the head, instead of holding his right back and dropping his left to Page's Right hook counter. Pot shotting versus punches in bunches is one of things that the great boxers criticize MMA guys for, rightly so, and a single shot then dropping that hand is just begging for a nasty counter to that same side.

Whatever, I would'nt count out Lidell just yet. When Athletes win they party,too often and complacency sets in, when they lose they get pissed at themselves, regain hunger and ponder improvements, if they don't just give up.

Upsets, though this was'nt really one, are a good thing, Lidell now joins the recent club, in no particular order, of GSP, Hughes, Sanchez,Jardine, Guillard,Franklin, Sylvia, Little Nog, Wanderlei, and Cro Cop, did I miss anyone of real note?, who can use the pain of loss to renew themselves into even better fighters.

War Muscle Shark!
thats funny... every exchange could play out differently if they do different things. Hind sight is not getting knocked out thats for sure. The simple fact is Chuck didnt remember rule 1 of stand up. HANDS UP CHIN DOWN! My favorite upset was the the Queen of mean he took some huge uppercuts.

whats all the shrek hype about? That little ogre just bothers me with his lack of technique. I know people want to see knock outs but these guys have submissions in their faces ALL the time. If you miss the sub it always leads to a reversal or distractions wich open up the puching game. Din is a good example... had he missed the armbar he would have a had a nice reversal to set up some G&P.

LONG LIVE RAMPAGE:afro:

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
whats all the shrek hype about? That little ogre just bothers me with his lack of technique.
Oh no you di'in!!

What lack of technique are you referring to? The best shoot in the business, the way he controls people, or his boxing skills that shut down Diaz and nearly knocked out Hughes?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
No, no one immediately comes to mind. Penn after he Pulverizes Jens?
Penn is the only guy I can think of that has a good chance of beating Sherk. By good chance I mean 80%. I think BJ would TKO or sub Sherk, but if it got past 2, then I would take Sherk of course. So, BJ or Marlon Sims in a street fight:bruce1: :run:

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
@ Brother,

Of course, any exchange could be critiqued to a different outcome, but that particular one is textbook on what not to do.

I am not a Liddell fan, not before and certainly not more so after last night's performance.

Re: Sherk_Franca

We kid SS on the Sherky love, but it's warranted. Hermes has a puncher's chance with one of his looping hooks or a sub, but Sherk's superior technically offensive and defensive standup, shoots, ground control with GNP and superior strength , speed and stamina is, IMO, gonna prevail. Then again, what do I know, Cro Cop and GSP looked like the winners to me too.

daniel35

daniel35

Awards
  • Established
chuck was winding up for the big right after the left to the body, and I don't even think he saw rampages' right coming(defense in close is not he's forte, for his style he needs franklins help in doing a better side step to the outside and then the big counter), but still I'm like a lot of you in thinking it really looked more like a glancing shot that shouldn't have put chuck down, but they say the ones you don't see coming are the ones that knock you out. I really don't see why this shouldn't have lasted a few rounds if chuck was really prepared for war. I would like to have been a fly on the wall to hear what he's coach said after the k.o. Probably something like that sob should have listened to me.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
That was a good counter by Rampage, but Chuck left himself wide open. Personally, I thought he saw it coming, but thought his chin was out of range or Rampage was faster than he thought. A lot of these fighters with good chins depend on them too much like Chuck, Leben, .... They leave themselves open and focus more on offense taking some punsihment along the way. Guys with so-so chins like Crocop have to focus more on defense and creating an almost impenetrable fortress (not-so-much against GG of course).

Karo was excting as usual and his standup seems to have improved as well.

Alexander pounded Jardine hard and brutally. I don't know how Keith hung on for so long. He should have fallen to the guard early on, but it's hard to make decisions when your getting pounded.

Salaverry-Martin: Martin just man-handled the more finesse-skill guy. Weird stoppage, it just didn't seem like it should have ended there, but Salaverry didn't really do anything.

i don't think Chuck's done, but as Rodja said do you want to see Chuck get a third shot at Rampage?

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i dont think chuck deservses another shot. THe only way we should see a three is later down the line if page has the belt still and chuck has pounded his way back up to the top.

I really feel the reason chuck got knocked out was not due to the power but more of the glancing blow to the chin. A shot like that can put anyone down i think, tied in with the fact that i think chuck was really nervous the whole way through even walking out. I think Page intimidated him seriously, and can you blame him haha.

Jardine jardine....he really relies on his chin to much he has got one but underestimated his opponent or overestimated his ability to take a hit. He kept trying to regain himself but the other guy was on turbo. I swear he could have fought a few more guys right then and there after the fight. (did i say that before)?

Thrall

Thrall

Awards
  • Established
my boss lost 200 dollars betting on ol chucky.. as for me.. well im up a couple bucks. RAMPAGE LOOKS LIKE A ****ING DINOSAUR / GORILLA. hes so scary.
No doubt. They don't look that big on TV either, but that guy was friggin huge next to the rest of his entourage! I'd stomp him though, at a colossal 5'10", 185 lbs. :fool2:

On a serious note, I think all of these crazy upsets have proven one thing about MMA...no one has the magic bullet. At least, not yet. Anyone can perform an upset given the right circumstances and training.

That, and Randy Couture will be fighting until he is 80.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
...I would like to have been a fly on the wall to hear what he's coach said after the k.o. Probably something like that sob should have listened to me.
You ever watched their first fight? Dana White kept repeating how Liddell wasn't following the fight plan.

On a serious note, I think all of these crazy upsets have proven one thing about MMA...no one has the magic bullet. At least, not yet. Anyone can perform an upset given the right circumstances and training.
Nobody Beats Fedor

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
chuck was winding up for the big right after the left to the body, and I don't even think he saw rampages' right coming(defense in close is not he's forte, for his style he needs franklins help in doing a better side step to the outside and then the big counter), but still I'm like a lot of you in thinking it really looked more like a glancing shot that shouldn't have put chuck down, but they say the ones you don't see coming are the ones that knock you out. I really don't see why this shouldn't have lasted a few rounds if chuck was really prepared for war. I would like to have been a fly on the wall to hear what he's coach said after the k.o. Probably something like that sob should have listened to me.

There is a video with Hackelman on Sherdog with a post-fight interview. He said they never go to the body from the outside because of the high risk for the small return. Chuck made a mistake of doing it and got caught.

I thought Chuck looked really calm on the way out and Page looked nervous on his walk and then focused once he got into the ring.

size

Awards
  • Established
My thoughts:
Leben vs Starnes: OK fight. Leben seem to only care about brawling. Such an approach will continue to pile losses onto his record. I expected Starnes to win but I was disappointed in his progress when then hit the ground.

Jardine vs Alexander: Alexander certainly looks like he is an aggressive fighter. However, the biggest memory that I will have from this fight is Jardines ability to take punches. I thought he was going to be out on at least 3 occasions but he kept getting up. I did find it odd though that he never stayed down and tried to pull guard. While watching, I kept thinking he would stay down and attempt it if he was able to stay awake.

Martin vs Salaverry: I was excited about his fight and I was disappointed by the result. Seemed like a strange stoppage but I assume that Salaverry was briefly knocked out from landing on his head. I thought it had really good potential for a great fight with Salaverry using technique and skill to combat the power of Martin.

Karo vs Burkman: Karr's hands looked good. Rather early in the fight, it appeared to me that Burkman's spirit had be broken as Karo appeared to land any punch he wanted and never seemed to be in any trouble. I was hoping for a few judo tosses so i was a little disappointed and I was hoping Karo would finish him. Karo looked like a continually improving fighter.

Liddell vs Jackson: Not surprised by the outcome but I am surprised by how early it happened. Jackson looked sharp as he moved around the ring keeping his hands high. Not much to really pick apart on the fight as the exchanges were so brief. Liddell got caught with a nice punch and got finished. Now I know people are critiquing Liddell's hand positions but that is how he has always fought. His punches and hand positions have always be unconventional and for most of his fights it has not mattered. However, this time it did.

Biggest thing for me was the announcement of Henderson fighting in the UFC as he is one of my favorite fighters. So I look forward to seeing him in action in the future.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jas123 MMA 20
LakeMountD MMA 57
Beowulf MMA 41
MMA 23
exnihilo MMA 40