training till failure every set.

Mperkins

Mperkins

Awards
So i was in the gym last night banging away at my back and here comes with 120lb soaking wet college kid asking me if i train till failure EVERY set. I replied yes. I think its a waste of time after you warm up to throw aeound weight but give up after a few sets because youre bored or it starts to burn a bit. well he gave me a look like I dont know what im talking about and that training till failure is the bad. Normally id disregard something that i learn from a guy who looks like he talks with "broscience" but it really got me thinking. What do you guys like to do? Ive heard about only failing last set and people who NEVER train till failure.

so whats your training ideas?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Failure can be a relative term, in exercises and in how much effort one puts in. I also do not think it is needed very frequently in the compound exercises say (and rarely actual failure in say squatting or deadlifting) but much easier to recover from in say isolation work, or the small muscle groups.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For me, I workout alone so till failure is hard but I get pretty damn close. Whether it be 5 reps or 15, that last rep is definitely a challenge.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
I never train to failure end neither do any of my workout partners. We have several national level highland games, powerlifting, and strongman competitors at the gym too. Of course we also don't train body parts and train movements instead. The only time I fail a lift is missing a lift on the platform at a powerlifting meet.

I have also seen a steady increase in size and strength since I started training with them all two years ago. So take that for what its worth. Training to failure all the time increases the chance of injury way to high especially at my age. I want to lift for several more decades and I'm patient so I'll lift safely and keep on lifting longer then all my competitors.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you can do a second set the first was not to failure :pat:

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
I don't train to failure at all. Although I train to be strong and see hypertrophy as more of a secondary goal, I don't think concentric failure is necessary for pure hypertrophy training. It can be used but I would pick and choose my spots. Wave it as a method for ^ intensity, I suppose

Revival

Revival

Awards
I finally stopped training to failure. I did love pushing till the weights started going the other direction but I did put a hurting on my next set. Ultimately most high quality programs as far as I know do not have you go to failure. Ultimately everything needs to me balanced to optimize results. If your doing a high volume program with multiple exercises on each body part than failure training will only hinder a naturals gains most of the time. It puts such an enormous strain on your CNS it can make you need deloads more often and extra unnecessary recovery between workouts. However some programs Like DC training which is fantastic of course are great with failure training since your doing such few reps per body part its makes everything nice and balanced and helps get you some extra damage.

You should read Borges article on his Myoreps system. He actually breaks down multiple sets and talks about which of your last reps get full muscle fiber activation and setting up your program to give you the maximum number of reps that put in that zone. Things like more rest make make it take more reps on the following set before you reach that point. Again all the best programs have all these different areas balanced really optimally which is why its ideal to follow good programs and not change them all up IMO.

just my 2 Cents

JD261985

Banned
Awards
I finally stopped training to failure. I did love pushing till the weights started going the other direction but I did put a hurting on my next set. Ultimately most high quality programs as far as I know do not have you go to failure. Ultimately everything needs to me balanced to optimize results. If your doing a high volume program with multiple exercises on each body part than failure training will only hinder a naturals gains most of the time. It puts such an enormous strain on your CNS it can make you need deloads more often and extra unnecessary recovery between workouts. However some programs Like DC training which is fantastic of course are great with failure training since your doing such few reps per body part its makes everything nice and balanced and helps get you some extra damage. You should read Borges article on his Myoreps system. He actually breaks down multiple sets and talks about which of your last reps get full muscle fiber activation and setting up your program to give you the maximum number of reps that put in that zone. Things like more rest make make it take more reps on the following set before you reach that point. Again all the best programs have all these different areas balanced really optimally which is why its ideal to follow good programs and not change them all up IMO. just my 2 Cents
I'm very close to done with failure training been doing HIT for quite some time but I have added close to an inch to my quads and .75 in to my arms naturally with it. I just feel like over time it kills my CNS

rockme

rockme

Awards
I stopped training to failure, as it doesn't agree with my body anymore. I prefer training with heavy sets across, rather than a balls out set. I've been doing 5/3/1 for awhile now and it is a wonderful program. However, that AMRAP set is a loose cannon for me. I think I'm going to reset my T1RM and do wendlers other template that has you hitting sets across the board. Plus, it's based on prilepins chart, which I like. I will prob work up to a true single every 3 months or so and spend the rest of the time in submax training