Total body program?

supraseed48

supraseed48

Awards
Hey guys I'm getting bored with my typical 4 day routine. Im looking for the best total body routine to spice things back up a little. I've read where guys are raving about hitting muscle groups 3 or 4x a week with less volume with good results. This will be a new venture for me so I'd appreciate some input on a program that would maximize my time in the gym. Thanx in advance..

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
Hey guys I'm getting bored with my typical 4 day routine. Im looking for the best total body routine to spice things back up a little. I've read where guys are raving about hitting muscle groups 3 or 4x a week with less volume with good results. This will be a new venture for me so I'd appreciate some input on a program that would maximize my time in the gym. Thanx in advance..
Dc training is proving to be quite legit in my experience with it. Its a 3x a week program, i wouldnt recommend the 4x split with out anabolics unless youre a total freak in terms of revovery. Its definitely lower volume but it leaves me with more DOMs and a comparable pump to a 5x high volume split. Its worth a look if youre looking to grow. Intense muscle i think outlines it well but you cant go wrong with a google search for further info on it.

supraseed48

supraseed48

Awards
Thanks guys!! anybody else tried any other specific program that is working well for them?

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
I've been doing full body workouts three times a week for the last 16 months
And I've had great success, far better then when I did a traditional bodybuilder split.
Peace

supraseed48

supraseed48

Awards
I've been doing full body workouts three times a week for the last 16 months
And I've had great success, far better then when I did a traditional bodybuilder split.
Peace
Whats ur routine look like?

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
Whats ur routine look like?
My routine is pretty unorthodox.
I do only closed chain multi joint excersises.
Since you asked I will lay out what I do.

Workout one
Heavy day
Done while wearing a 75 pound Mir weight vest. I train fasted in the morning.
I go from excersise to excersise with no rest.

Dead hang pull ups to failure

Dips to failure

Hanging leg raises to failure

Squats with a 100 pound sandbag to failure.

Jump squats to failure.

I rest for one minute then repeat for a total of six circuits.

Workout two
Moderate day done with 75 pound weight vest.

Hang pulls with feet elevated to failure.

Hanging ring push ups with feet elevated to failure.

Planks to failure.

Box squats to failure.

Pistol squats to failure.

Workout three
Volume day no vest.

Same as workout one.

I've been doing this for almost a year and a half.
Once a month, I go to the gym and do the big three to gauge my strength.
Since starting this my strength on the big three has gone up.
The one rep max listed in my profile I can get for more than three on each lift.
In addition in the last three months I've managed to put on 7 pounds of lean mass.
That's my workout, I know it's pretty unconventional, but it works for me, and it's made me better at all my hobbies surfing, volleyball, and basketball.
Sorry for the long post, hope it was of interest to you.
Good luck
Peace

supraseed48

supraseed48

Awards
Enjoyed reading that bro.. Unorthodox training is becoming more and more the rage for attaining that atheletic body shape guys are after. Training for strength while maintaining flexibility. I can appteciate that. I took a 3 month hiatus last year using nothing but bands, ropes and gravity. It was good training. You have to train for functional strength every now and then. Beach muscles help you very little if you like to play sports..

xigotmailx

xigotmailx

Awards
  • Established
This is actually the last phase of a 3 part program that I run all the time, but it fits what you would be looking for I believe:

Part 3 - Frequency: Weeks 7-9

The goal of Part 3 is to hit each muscle more frequently than Part 1 & 2. Each workout uses a different exercise and different rep range, though the same exercises could be used for each workout if you prefer. The goal is do do two sets of an exercise per each muscle group.

1. Whole Body A: 2 x 4-6 Rest = 2 minutes
  2. Whole Body B: 2 x 6-10 Rest = 90 seconds
  3. Whole Body C: 2 x 10-12 Rest = 30 seconds
  4. Weak Point

Whole Body A: 2 x 4-6 Rest = 2 minutes
Quad - Squats
Ham - Stiff Leg Deadlift
Calf - Seated Calf Raise
Chest - Flat Press
Back - Bent Over Row
Delt - Military Press
Trap - BB Shrug
Tri's - Close Grip Bench
Bi's - BB Curl

Whole Body B: 2 x 6-10 Rest = 90 seconds
Quad - Leg Press
Ham - Lying Leg Curl
Calf - Standing Calf Raise
Chest - Incline Press
Back - Pull-Up
Delt - DB Side Lateral
Trap - DB Shrug
Tri's - Skull Crusher
Bi's - DB Curl

Whole Body C: 2 x 10-12 Rest = 30 seconds
Quad - Leg Extension
Ham - Seated Leg Curl
Calf - Donkey Calf Raise
Chest - Decline Press
Back - Rack Deadlift
Delt - Cable Lateral
Trap - Low-pulley High Row
Tri's - Tricep Pressdown
Bi's - Cable Curl

Weak Point
Basically this day is made for bringing up what you feel is lacking. If feel you need to bring up your back and calves, then work your back and calves. If you need to bring up your chest and biceps, then work your chest and biceps. You basically choose a workout here. Example of chest and biceps:

Chest/Biceps
Incline BB Press 3 x 4,8,12
Flat DB Press 3 x 4,8,12
DB Curls 3 x 4,8,12
Hammer Curls 3 x 4,8,12

It's common for people to have underdeveloped calves, forearms, and rear delts. Weak Point training day is perfect to work on these muscles. Examples routines for these weak points:

Calves
Standing Calf Raise 3 x 4,8,12
Seated Calf Raise 3 x 4,8,12
Forearms
BB Forearm Curl 3 x 4,8,12
DB Forearm Curl 3 x 4,8,12
Rear Delts
DB Rear Lateral 3 x 4,8,12
Reverse Pec Deck 3 x 4,8,12

supraseed48

supraseed48

Awards
This is actually the last phase of a 3 part program that I run all the time, but it fits what you would be looking for I believe:
Outstanding looking program bro. Looks really close to what I'm looking for.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think some of the issues that arise when people try to program their own full body workouts (when coming off a typical bodybuilding split) is they try to emphasize every muscle every workout. First, stay away from emphasizing "muscles" and think "movements". Second, emphasize 2 movements of the upper and 1 of lower body per workout, and the for the secondary do ancillary movements related to the non-emphasized movements. Secondary movements should be done with a unilateral focus (i.e.: one side at a time).

To detail this schematic:

Day A:
Emphasis: 4-5 sets
Deadlift
Bench Press
Row
Secondary: 2-3 sets
Squat
Over head press
Pull up
Core/accessory: 2-3 sets
Triceps
External shoulder rotators
Static core work (planks)

Day B
Emphasis:
Squat
Over Head Press
Pull Ups
Secondary:
Dead lift
Bench Press
Row
Core/accessory:
Biceps
Scapula depressors
Trunk flexion and extension

And then rotate the days such that week 1 is: A, B, A. And week 2 is B, A, B. Etc.

As an example:

Day A
Deadlift 5 x 5
Incline press 4 x 6
Barbell row 4 x 8
Split Squat: 3 x 12
Half Kneeling DB over head press 3 x 10
Dumbbell rows 3 x 15
Lying triceps extension: 2 x 10
External shoulder rotations with bands 2 x 12
Prone bridge plate switches 3 x 10/direction

Day B:
Front Squat 5 x 5
Strict Standing Over Head Press 4 x 6
Weighted Pull Ups 4 x 8
Single Leg RDL 3 x 15
Chinese Rows 3 x 12
Single Arm Incline Press 3 x 10
Hammer Curls 2 x 12
Prone Scaptions 2 x 15
Swiss ball pikes 3 x 10

Of course, you will need to periodize it in some fashion, and also think about switching the exercises every 2-3 weeks.

Br

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
When you all do squats or deads first on a full body day, doesnt that ruin your workout? The rest of my lifts would suffer considerably, I have to start with pushes, then pulls, then legs. Seems like my pushing strength falls first, then pulls, then legs.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
When you all do squats or deads first on a full body day, doesnt that ruin your workout? The rest of my lifts would suffer considerably, I have to start with pushes, then pulls, then legs. Seems like my pushing strength falls first, then pulls, then legs.
Maybe at first, but I would assume you adapt such that the decrease in strength due to systemic fatigue in minimal. I know the difference in my weights from doing olympic and lower body is maybe 1-2% less on the pressing versus when I do the pressing fresh.

Br

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
Maybe at first, but I would assume you adapt such that the decrease in strength due to systemic fatigue in minimal. I know the difference in my weights from doing olympic and lower body is maybe 1-2% less on the pressing versus when I do the pressing fresh.

Br
Interesting, so do you follow a full body training routine year round? I used to do full body when I started lifting, then got into a university powerlifting team a few years back and since then ive been doing a 4 day split routine.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Interesting, so do you follow a full body training routine year round? I used to do full body when I started lifting, then got into a university powerlifting team a few years back and since then ive been doing a 4 day split routine.
Not year round. It all depends on what phase of training I'm in. I like full body when my focus is on speed, since it gives me more time on the track, or when my work load is high I can only get in 2-3 days of lifting per week. Right now I'm using an upper/lower 4 day program.

pinkster

Awards
My routine is pretty unorthodox.
I do only closed chain multi joint excersises.
Since you asked I will lay out what I do.

Workout one
Heavy day
Done while wearing a 75 pound Mir weight vest. I train fasted in the morning.
I go from excersise to excersise with no rest.

Dead hang pull ups to failure

Dips to failure

Hanging leg raises to failure

Squats with a 100 pound sandbag to failure.

Jump squats to failure.

I rest for one minute then repeat for a total of six circuits.

Workout two
Moderate day done with 75 pound weight vest.

Hang pulls with feet elevated to failure.

Hanging ring push ups with feet elevated to failure.

Planks to failure.

Box squats to failure.

Pistol squats to failure.

Workout three
Volume day no vest.

Same as workout one.
loving the sound of that workout. Quick question though, a pistol squat is a one legged squat right? How the hell do you work up to that? For my weight i've got decent leg strength, and very good core strength (i think anyway) but there's no way in hell i could manage one of those

pinkster

Awards
Cheers Todd,
They look horrible, painful and proper hardwork.

Can't wait to get started

supraseed48

supraseed48

Awards
I can tell u this much. Since I started this total body program my appetite has went through the roof. Can anyone tell me if that is normal?

supraseed48

supraseed48

Awards
Ahh its a crossfit program. Im not looking to lose weight. Got a buddy doing a program similar to that. He was a hulk, now he looks like one of those Kenyan distance runners off of the olympics. Not for me bruh, i'm still using decent poundages on my total body program. Actually using more than normal on some of the exercises due to the 2 sets per muscle group...

Callejul

Awards
Ahh its a crossfit program. Im not looking to lose weight. Got a buddy doing a program similar to that. He was a hulk, now he looks like one of those Kenyan distance runners off of the olympics. Not for me bruh, i'm still using decent poundages on my total body program. Actually using more than normal on some of the exercises due to the 2 sets per muscle group...
This made me laugh! Thank you!