Too Much Protien

GetYourWeightUp

Awards
In my college nutrition class that all extra protein above ur daily value (under 100 grams) will turn to fat???? This is like the oposit of what I have heard from bodybuilding and what I have practiced...I always went with the 1.5 to 1.7 grams per pound of bodyweight...is this just turning to fat??

g4ud1n

Awards
  • Established
The average person is going to have much different caloric needs than a bodybuilder. You will be fine as long as you are staying active and in the gym.

IRserge

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Let me just start off by saying access calories make you fat, no matter where it comming from. Too much fat will make you fat, too much carbs will make you fat etc. For bodybuilders increased protein is needed to aid in muscle recovery. Sedentary people would need less protein since they aren't constantly tearing down muscle tissue.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
The thing to remember is that in an excess caloric environment, protein is LESS likely to be stored as fat. This doesn't mean it won't, it just means it has a greater chance of being burned or used for repair than being stored in adipose tissue.

Factors such as those mentioned above as well as overall macro ratio are going to affect the the ultimate end point of the extra protein.

The number given by the class is simply one based on the "average" person expending the "average" number of calories per day while sitting in their cubicle e-mailing the newest Dilbert back and forth. BBers and atheletes in general would be statistical outliers in this sort of bell curve view .

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Likeliness of being stored as fat:

Saturated Fat (highest)
Monounsaturated Fat
Polyunsaturated Fat
High GI Carbs
Low GI Carbs
Protein (lowest)

All things being equal, would this be correct?

bda55

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

Saturated Fat (highest)
Monounsaturated Fat
Polyunsaturated Fat
High GI Carbs
Low GI Carbs
Protein (lowest)

That was discussed in this thread a while ago

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established

Saturated Fat (highest)
Monounsaturated Fat
Polyunsaturated Fat
High GI Carbs
Low GI Carbs
Protein (lowest)

No.

mab904

mab904

Awards
Let me just start off by saying access calories make you fat, no matter where it comming from. Too much fat will make you fat, too much carbs will make you fat etc. For bodybuilders increased protein is needed to aid in muscle recovery. Sedentary people would need less protein since they aren't constantly tearing down muscle tissue.
From my experience, increased protein intake is a must when trying to put on some muscle. I take in over 200 grams of protein a day and I only weigh 133lbs. Never really saw any substantial body composition changes until I increased protein.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
That was discussed in this thread a while ago
From what I can tell, that thread only discussed which macros are first used for energy. Nothing about fat storage (unless I'm stupid today and I missed something obvious).

GetYourWeightUp

Awards
From my experience, increased protein intake is a must when trying to put on some muscle. I take in over 200 grams of protein a day and I only weigh 133lbs. Never really saw any substantial body composition changes until I increased protein.
I am the same way...I didnt start seeing real gains till I was eating more then 400 grams a day....( At a bodyweight of 270..)

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
270 and at what bf? and how do u scarf down 400 gms?

bda55

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm only 180 and have like 350g on some days.. Its not that hard, just eat eat eat :D

Croix

Board Supporter
Awards
O/T - Moyer, is that you in your avatar?

If so, you look awesome man, that's exactly the physique I'm aiming to achieve - what are your stats there?

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
once i started scarfing down 300+ grams of protein a day (workout days are about 350g protein) i finally began growing. lots of food i've been eating.
i do that now at a bodyweight of 170lbs and 19 years old. Momma goes grocery shopping twice a week! :burger::food:

oh yea, btw, 270 at 15% is TREMENDOUS! good job getyourweightup!

BigDick

Awards
I heard this too. In fact, my nutrition textbook DID talk about bodybuilders and how they don't need as much protein as say, marathon runners. a bunch of BS if you ask me... but it is backed by some scientific studies, albeit probably flawed.