Thyroid Support...possible Hypo

Gore

Awards
I just had some labwork done and noticed that my TSH level was at 2.4, which is kind of high if were going off the newer scale. I have been looking at the symptoms of hypothyroidism and I am realizing that I have some of them...mainly extremely cold hands&feet in the winter that are nearly impossible to warm up. I also have thinning hair and get tired throughout the day with trouble sleeping at night.

My lab tests didn't have any t3/t4 measurements on them but I did have CBC and my red blood cells were also on the low side.

What I am looking for is a mild thyroid supplement to try and see if I notice any difference. I don't want to jump into cytomel or anything that will be suppressive because I don't want to gamble with my thyroid. Are there any supps that are worth trying?

Cocaine4PWO

Banned
Awards
I just had some labwork done and noticed that my TSH level was at 2.4, which is kind of high if were going off the newer scale. I have been looking at the symptoms of hypothyroidism and I am realizing that I have some of them...mainly extremely cold hands&feet in the winter that are nearly impossible to warm up. I also have thinning hair and get tired throughout the day with trouble sleeping at night.

My lab tests didn't have any t3/t4 measurements on them but I did have CBC and my red blood cells were also on the low side.

What I am looking for is a mild thyroid supplement to try and see if I notice any difference. I don't want to jump into cytomel or anything that will be suppressive because I don't want to gamble with my thyroid. Are there any supps that are worth trying?

what range u looking at? i just did sum blood work and the range for TSH is 0.450 - 4.5

either way stay away from broccoli, cauliflower and spinach. look into l-tyrosine and drop any l-carinitine supplements u may take.

Gore

Awards
I started checking around, doing some research after I received my labs and found stuff like this:

" 95 percent of the population tested actually had a TSH level between 0.4 and 2.5. As a result, the NACB recommended reducing the reference range to that." (thyroid.about.com)

I have been looking into trying San T2, it's non suppressive and with both 3,3 and 3,5 should work better than with just one or the other. Again, I feel that if I see any change its worth going through my doctor to treat hypothyroidism. I think I will be able to tell rather quickly since the weather is getting colder and my feet stay freezing all day. Especially since I teach outside in the AM.

Cocaine4PWO

Banned
Awards
san t2 looks good, let me know how it works for u then.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
I think I read somewhere that there was only one study saying cruciferous vegetables were bad, and another one saying that they are bad, but their effects are neutralized by iodine supplementation.

Cocaine4PWO

Banned
Awards
Feedback is good. Ask Daycrawler, he logged it on another forum. Raws are legit, SAN doesn't mess around with YOUR health like that (see the san and quality thread below.). I recommend 1 month on, 1 off, and another on (one bottle altogether). You can run it with a fatburner, and I would follow up with a month on a 7keto product like lean xtreme or blaze xtreme, just to be sure there's no suppression.

This is the most conservative way to run it...keep in mind I haven't seen or heard of any reports of suppression, and daycrawler got bloods after, iirc. No issue at all.
From a SAN rep.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
If TSH is low, 7-keto + forskolin seems to be a favorite (though I have yet to see the research).

Cocaine4PWO

Banned
Awards
Cooper, how strong is the studies of forskolin increasing stomach acids and should be avoided if you have a history of ulcers?

My family has a history of stomach ulcers so I steered away from Forskolin for that reason

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Can you refer a good 7-keto product?
Reduce XT for 7-keto.

Cooper, how strong is the studies of forskolin increasing stomach acids and should be avoided if you have a history of ulcers?

My family has a history of stomach ulcers so I steered away from Forskolin for that reason
There really isn't a definitive study outlining forskolin's effects on the stomach (this one has some hints though: http://ajpgi.physiology.org/content/254/4/G531.reprint), and GI distress is pretty hit or miss with users. Since the most straightforward cause of stomach ulcers is Heliobacter Pylori plus an overly acidic gastric environment, it appears that this is probably genetic, unless your family consumes a diet similar to yours (which I doubt since BBers dont consume the typical Western diet, but I could be wrong). If that is indeed the case, I'd proceed with caution when using forskolin; however, keep in mind that 50mg a day is all you need.

Cocaine4PWO

Banned
Awards
If TSH is low, 7-keto + forskolin seems to be a favorite (though I have yet to see the research).
When you mean low do you mean TSH is high?

Can Reduce XT be stacked with SAN T-2 Xtreme or that's too much?

Were talking if someone is hypothyroidism

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
When you mean low do you mean TSH is high?

Can Reduce XT be stacked with SAN T-2 Xtreme or that's too much?

Were talking if someone is hypothyroidism
No, 7-keto and forskolin allegedly boost TSH. I'd run Reduce XT AFTER SAN T2 extreme. I personally do not like diiodos...very little upside with the downside of a steep price.

Power Chews

Awards
Gore, the first thing that I would do is take a look at your diet. Do some research on Goitrogens. Are you eating a ton of Peanut Butter?? Also I know first hand that a TSH of 1-1.5 is ideal, but a 2.4 is getting into the grey area that a doctor will tell you that you are fine. That may not truly be the case if your tired consistently after getting enough sleep. Unless sleep apnea comes into play.

Gore

Awards
I am not eating peanut butter at the moment nor anything else from the list of goitrogenic foods...by sheer luck. I also do not have sleep apnea.

Power Chews

Awards
Also an excessive amount of alcohol could affect your thyroid. HHMMMM. How about excessive amounts of mercury prone fish? Any chance of that? Sometimes these 2 things can mimic each other.

Cocaine4PWO

Banned
Awards
All the good vegetables are goitrogenic. what type of vegetables with the most nutritional value will one would eat then ?

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
I think I read somewhere that there was only one study saying cruciferous vegetables were bad, and another one saying that they are bad, but their effects are neutralized by iodine supplementation.
foods that contain goitrogens such as broccoli (the family) legumes, etc can effect thyroid provided you have the specific antibody as DR D stated. otherwise it wont effect you.

To much iodine will Raise TSH.

Gore

Awards
Nope...don't drink...not a huge fish eater either. I wish I could attribute this to the foods I was eating because then I could just adjust my diet...however it seems more and more likely that it is a genetic thing. My mom actually takes meds for her thyroid so there ya go...damn.

Power Chews

Awards
All the good vegetables are goitrogenic. what type of vegetables with the most nutritional value will one would eat then ?
True. Its simply something to look out for when selecting foods, if you feel like you have thyroid issues.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
Nope...don't drink...not a huge fish eater either. I wish I could attribute this to the foods I was eating because then I could just adjust my diet...however it seems more and more likely that it is a genetic thing. My mom actually takes meds for her thyroid so there ya go...damn.
as does my mom, i would say most women do bc of them trying to eat such low calories they agouti levels are so high and leptin levels are so low they case issues with Raised TSH, low t3 and near normal t4. not necessarily a thyroid problem but different endocrine issues such as issues with leptin, POMC, MC3/4, agouti, insulin, and GIP.

look into taking calcium in between meals, 500-1000mg with magnesium (250-500 2-3x a day) and vitamin d (5000-10000iu per day in winter lower end over summer). With that, and making sure you dont space meals over 5 hours apart (unless eating 50-75% cals in that meal) and keep 12 hours between dinner and breakfast minimum.

youll see a big difference.

cook all veggies and eat roasted peanuts. dont eat raw peanuts.