Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
IIFYM simply allows for a slight variance from traditionally considered healthy foods, although swapping a potato which is actually VERY healthy for a sweet potato shows that what is considered healthy is subjective to the person making the comparison.

Likewise, brown rice I consider unhealthy due to the high levels of phytates yet I see results swapping it for white rice.

Overall it is daily intake that matters and not individual foods. You can lose weight eating unhealthy and gain it eating healthy. Weight loss and gain is not dependent on how 'healthy' a food is.

Edit: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8561057

As an example

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Overall it is daily intake that matters and not individual foods. You can lose weight eating unhealthy and gain it eating healthy. Weight loss and gain is not dependent on how 'healthy' a food is.
Very very true. However I do have a question, does it affect the quality of muscle gained or fat loss? In other words, I'm at a deficit eating really well (lean proteins, carbs come from fruits veggies rice and sweet potato, fats come from oils and avocado). Will I ultimately have a better physique than someone who is also at a deficit eating fast food (same macros)?

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Can you show me evidence where a keto diet out performs an isocaloric high carb diet? Hint, there isnt any.
If u keep insulin quiet for long enough, then yes, low carb outperforms high carb diets in a number of things. This is all assuming the diets are equal in calories.

For one, cholesterol levels tend to get alot better, insulin sensitivity increases MUCH better and for myself, blood pressure drops dramatically. I can't say the latter happens for everyone but it does for myself.

Regardless, I've picked up on ur patterns over the years and I've learned that it doesn't matter what I say, u'd disagree and with it u'd bring the staunchest arrogance as if ur word is the last word on the subject matter. You haven't presented any more "evidence" than I have, this I am sure of.

In fact, if it didn't come from u, then it must not be correct. So we should all stop asking questions and challenging notions ( nevermind that science falls apart when we stop doing this) because ur knowledge and perspective seems to trump all because u've got a few legit credentials in the text books, as if they are an end all to knowledge and wisdom on all things human metabolism.

Grow up and show some respect to others. Answer questions without being condescending. Just because ur face and name remain anonymous on the Internet, it doesn't mean u have to be (or have the right) disrespectful to others in ur response.

While I could find plenty of studies supporting what I'm saying here, I really dont care to spend hours of my night defending myself against someone as dogmatic in their educational perspective as yourself.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
If u keep insulin quiet for long enough, then yes, low carb outperforms high carb diets in a number of things. This is all assuming the diets are equal in calories.

For one, cholesterol levels tend to get alot better, insulin sensitivity increases MUCH better and for myself, blood pressure drops dramatically. I can't say the latter happens for everyone but it does for myself.

Regardless, I've picked up on ur patterns over the years and I've learned that it doesn't matter what I say, u'd disagree and with it u'd bring the staunchest arrogance as if ur word is the last word on the subject matter. You haven't presented any more "evidence" than I have, this I am sure of.

In fact, if it didn't come from u, then it must not be correct. So we should all stop asking questions and challenging notions ( nevermind that science falls apart when we stop doing this) because ur knowledge and perspective seems to trump all because u've got a few legit credentials in the text books, as if they are an end all to knowledge and wisdom on all things human metabolism.

Grow up and show some respect to others. Answer questions without being condescending. Just because ur face and name remain anonymous on the Internet, it doesn't mean u have to be (or have the right) disrespectful to others in ur response.

While I could find plenty of studies supporting what I'm saying here, I really dont care to spend hours of my night defending myself against someone as dogmatic in their educational perspective as yourself.
Low carb is better than high carb for health, but IIFYM is about body comp not other factors. I tried the same argument once upon a time and got nowhere.

Wasnt trying to be condesending, apologies if it came off that way. Reading back, can clearly see how i made that seem. I just meant to say look at the net effect vs. Isolation.

I used to follow low carb because it made sense for weight loss, now I follow it because its the 'healthier' option.

You can follow IIFYM on a low carb diet or a high carb diet or somehing in between. Thats the beauty of it.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Very very true. However I do have a question, does it affect the quality of muscle gained or fat loss? In other words, I'm at a deficit eating really well (lean proteins, carbs come from fruits veggies rice and sweet potato, fats come from oils and avocado). Will I ultimately have a better physique than someone who is also at a deficit eating fast food (same macros)?
Ultimately no. Muscle is muscle and you cannot change the quality of it provided their diet hits minimum protei and fat levels. But getting adequete protein and fats alongside micronutrient dense foods will mean you live a better life than someone who neglects these things.

Health is subjective- fats get a bad press and so the general public tends to lower them only to make matters worse for themselves. Their healthy view point is likely causing them more problems.

View body comp as seperate from health and longevity and itl make more sense. But a good diet emphasizes both.

Contopaxi

Contopaxi

Awards
I think another think I can personally thank IIFYM is the situations where I use to avoid social events or be restricted to eating out of Tupperware daily.

I do disagree with posting just photos of my ice cream and cereal on Instagram so I make sure to upload my broccoli and chicken meals I consume daily.
I do love Poptarts though.. Red velvet addiction haha

R1187

R1187

Awards
  • Established
IIFYM rests on the premise that all calories are fairly equal and that you can obtain pretty standardized muscle building / fat burning potential by eating within your Macros (proteins, carbs, fats). Thus, if you are at a 270 calorie deficit it’s perfectly okay to indulge in that Hostess Twinkie, you did, afterall, stay within the macros for the day and thus aren’t in any danger of gaining weight or harming your muscle building potential—FALSE !
But a calorie is a calorie in terms of pure bodyweight management.

I don't think IIFYM ever asserts you don't need adequate protein in your diet.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
From what I have read, IIFYM doesn't really "believe" in glycemic index or spikes in insulin. Most people will tell you a white potato is identical to a sweet potato, when we know the micronutrient content is very different. IIFYM calls them the same

white potatoes have a ton of positive sweet potatoes do not have. And if one were to avoid white i dont know why. Great sources of potassium and a lot of people cramp due to a sodium/potassium imbalance.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Based on what I've seen and heard, the only counters to IIFYM have been both red herring and strawman fallacies. Foods that many consider to be clean (e.g. lats, brown rice) can be seen as foods to avoid to others. The traditionalists obviously see IIFYM to be rubbish as it goes against the grain of what they learned.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Based on what I've seen and heard, the only counters to IIFYM have been both red herring and strawman fallacies. Foods that many consider to be clean (e.g. lats, brown rice) can be seen as foods to avoid to others. The traditionalists obviously see IIFYM to be rubbish as it goes against the grain of what they learned.
To add to this, I also think it is a big misinterpretation of what IIFYM is. It isn't a diet plan and so it doesn't specify macro breakdown but rather just states to eat minimums of fats, proteins and micronutrients and with the calories left over, you can fill it with the foods you enjoy.

So lets say you need 3000kcal to meet your target and you hit adequate fats and proteins and micronutrients with 2400kcals, then you have 600kcal left to fill with foods that hit your macro goal.

A lot of diet creators have made money trying to complicate a simple issue and this tries to give people a little flexibility into their diets. Remember that some people really struggle with cravings and that allowing small amounts of "naughty" food may actually benefit them in the long run.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
To add to this, I also think it is a big misinterpretation of what IIFYM is. It isn't a diet plan and so it doesn't specify macro breakdown but rather just states to eat minimums of fats, proteins and micronutrients and with the calories left over, you can fill it with the foods you enjoy. So lets say you need 3000kcal to meet your target and you hit adequate fats and proteins and micronutrients with 2400kcals, then you have 600kcal left to fill with foods that hit your macro goal. A lot of diet creators have made money trying to complicate a simple issue and this tries to give people a little flexibility into their diets. Remember that some people really struggle with cravings and that allowing small amounts of "naughty" food may actually benefit them in the long run.
That last paragraph is one of the main reasons I jive with the actual principles of the philosophy. The best diet is the one that a client can hold indefinitely and not for a small stretch of time.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
What's a Twinkie ha
The greatest invention since the egg. It's basically a cream filled sponge cake. The deliciousness of said creatures are borderline qualifications to be a recreational drug.

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
I'm from the UK AND TWINKIES ARE EASILY THE BEST TASTING TREAT EVER! I can sometimes get them at my local supermarket but I have to order them online otherwise. Worth it though.

Contopaxi

Contopaxi

Awards
I'm from the UK AND TWINKIES ARE EASILY THE BEST TASTING TREAT EVER! I can sometimes get them at my local supermarket but I have to order them online otherwise. Worth it though.
Buying twinkies tomorrow now

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Funny Bones>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Twinkies although I'm not the biggest fan of those types of foods.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Funny Bones>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Twinkies although I'm not the biggest fan of those types of foods.
Nutter bars
But I don't eat them except when it's cheat central

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
Nutter bars But I don't eat them except when it's cheat central
Oh my gush forgot about those, yes nutter bars all the way. Use to have after every karate session when j was a kid (5-8 )

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nutter bars
But I don't eat them except when it's cheat central
Never had them. I just looked them up though, but you can;t put them in the "pastry" discussion since they are wafers.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Peanut Butter anything has an unfair advantage.

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
Peanut Butter anything has an unfair advantage.
That's true, same goes for anything cinnamon. So what's the next best thing hmm

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
I never imagined this thread would be so active
Why aren't any of you chatty ****s on my FB I need that half this active

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
When do the red velvet cake Oreos come out those should be interesting to try.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I was in the store the other day, in the middle of my PSMF, and my gf and I walked past a shelf with a bunch of flavored peanut butter that was made by "The Peanut Butter Company". I've never heard of such a company, and right away I told my gf that I was going to quit my job and go work there - because it is my calling. They had Cinnamon Bun Peanut Butter. Sorry Tabascoonall.

Too bad it was all basically candy and I probably won't be able to even try it for a long while...haha

Contopaxi

Contopaxi

Awards
I was in the store the other day, in the middle of my PSMF, and my gf and I walked past a shelf with a bunch of flavored peanut butter that was made by "The Peanut Butter Company". I've never heard of such a company, and right away I told my gf that I was going to quit my job and go work there - because it is my calling. They had Cinnamon Bun Peanut Butter. Sorry Tabascoonall. Too bad it was all basically candy and I probably won't be able to even try it for a long while...haha
I've heard of these!

White chocolate peanut butter also if I remember correctly... *drools*

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I was in the store the other day, in the middle of my PSMF, and my gf and I walked past a shelf with a bunch of flavored peanut butter that was made by "The Peanut Butter Company". I've never heard of such a company, and right away I told my gf that I was going to quit my job and go work there - because it is my calling. They had Cinnamon Bun Peanut Butter. Sorry Tabascoonall.

Too bad it was all basically candy and I probably won't be able to even try it for a long while...haha
These have been out for probably 3-4 years buddy.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Never tried them, but they have been out for a long time. They even have a cafe in NY.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Haha - yea, I had the impression they were around for a while. Seemed established. I just never came across it. Purely awesome company. Haha.

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
i have some in the cabinet right now. Highly tasty!! I really want to try P28 PB any good?

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i have some in the cabinet right now. Highly tasty!! I really want to try P28 PB any good?
P28 banana raisin is the best flavour IMO, then Signature & White Chocolate. Also check out Pumpkin Spice & Toffee flavours of Nuts n More and Chocolate cookie dough Cracked Nut Butter.

Contopaxi

Contopaxi

Awards
Sh*t bro. That is impressive. Are holding the same amount of muscle in both pics?
Sadly I didn't get a Dexa scan done at all but the first pic was after an all out binge and the scale read 90kgs.. Got down to about 80-82kgs in the 12 weeks.

neilallen.

neilallen.

Awards
Never heard of this type of diet but will definitely be looking more closely at it although it does sound pretty complex to a normal gym goer just looking to look good and not competing. Personally I have had great results just eating sensibly and training hard.....and of course utilising an effective 'stack'.
1) 4 x Dianabol daily
2) 1ml of Tri-Tren 150 (Tuesday and Friday)
3) 1ml of Test Ethananate (Tuesday and Friday)

I used the Tri-Tren for only 3 weeks because although the physical effects are unequalled, the side effects were just as potent as the actual anabolic effect. An u n - equalled steroid in my opinion but with strong side effects. Night terrors, paranoia, aggression, anxiety, disturbance in sleep pattern all throughout the night.

PROS - Ripped, vein after vein, massive strength increase, an almost powerful surge throughout the body, an amazing, almost unbelievable change in body shape for the better.

It also played havoc with my joints so at week 3 swapped the Tri-Tren for nandralone (deca) 300mg/1ml to bulk and also to lubricate my painful joints caused by the Tren. ........With this a carried on with the test eth using both at 1ml twice per week.