The type of E2 test matters ....

appleyard777

Awards
Was getting some routine labs and decided to add an E2 panel just to see where I was at.

Purchased the standard Estradiol through quest and then realized I should have got the "Ultrasensitive" based on several threads I have read on here. So I purchased the Ultrasensitive as well.

Results: (to clarify these results were from the same blood pull / not separate times)
Estradiol - 75 pg/mL HIGH
Estradiol, Ultrasensitive, LC/MS - 17 pg/mL

As you can see standard Estradiol test shows me being quite high but the Ultrasensitive shows me as good to go.

Make of these what you will but if you aren't getting the ultrasensitive test you may be showing falsely high. At least, this is my interpretation as I assume the Ultrasensitive is more accurate for males based on my research.

Newbie78

Newbie78

Awards
From what I've read, your typical Estradiol test is designed with the expectation of having blood pulled from a woman whereas ultrasensitive is designed for men. It's typical use being for determining fertility in men.

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
From what I've read, your typical Estradiol test is designed with the expectation of having blood pulled from a woman whereas ultrasensitive is designed for men. It's typical use being for determining fertility in men.
So should we be getting the ultra sensitive test for e2 bloodwork. As I have never had this done nor know how to ask my doctor.