Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Holy cow, those calves!

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
day #5 on the training, lower body.
looking pretty solid upon rising this morning as diet has been immaculate..
weight ~202.3

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Snag, what diet principles do you adhere to? Just your general philosophy on nutrition.
in a nutshell:
micros are every bit as important as macros..
hi-protein, higher-fat (good fat), moderate carbs as a general lifestyle (carbs fairly clean at all times)..
eating every 2-3hrs, multiple times daily (5-6 meals or more daily, so keeping caloric and glycemic load threshholds down)..
multiple amino sources (so not eating same exact thing every day - unless there is great variance in every meal daily)..
bigger meals/more carbs earlier in the day, gradually shifting to smaller meals and higher fats/lower carbs towards night..
and - for lean bulking, a consistent ebb & flow of cals so as to keep metabolism humming along nicely and reduce chance of fat gain.

oh - and i absolutely LOVE beef. :smoker:

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I kind of got that impression from looking/reading on your meals, thank you for explaining.

Props to you on portion control, I just struggle with when I try and use a moderate carb approach for lean mass, then I turn to carb cycling.

6 more weeks of carb cycling then I WILL succeed using carbs! Well probably haha.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
carb cycling is a great approach too.

much like constant change in the training routine, i am not averse at all to constant change in the diet - so long as it remains controlled and not helter skelter.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
LOL

recently came across a nice mix..

i absolutely hate cottage cheese, so i like to disguise it a bit when i eat it.
i found it goes good w/ bagels for breakfast..and i mix it in some of my protein shakes..

at supper, i mix cc + sweet potatoes, and it tastes pretty damn good.

beats putting ketchup on it - which i used to do when i was younger.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
well, it's not 'mix' technically..rather, take a bite of each, chew together.

i don't do yogurt.

i like heavy whipping cream tho............

:lol:

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Ooooo ok ok, I had this light orange, semi chunky purée looking dish in my head lol.
well when you put it like that, it does sound kinda gross.. :yuck:

WED 10/3
day #6 in the schedule, upper body.
threw in some incline DB curls and DB standing military as well..

should've waited till today to post a pic - look pretty swole after a scheduled ~6500cal day yesterday..gained 2lb overnight.
:yup:

THUR 10/4
off

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
How the HECK do you mix those two?!?!?

I tried it in my Greek yogurt before, worked rather well.

lately I've been combining greek yogurt, cottage cheese & almond butter - add some oats - folks seem to be freaked out when I tell them what it is, but doesn't taste bad at all....

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
lately I've been combining greek yogurt, cottage cheese & almond butter - add some oats - folks seem to be freaked out when I tell them what it is, but doesn't taste bad at all....
nice. :cool2:

similar to my shake that has cottage cheese, strawberry protein powder, almond milk, oats and water..

the strawberry protein/cottage cheese is horrible on its own to me, but combined with all this it's actually good.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't know where you live, but if you have a Kroger's grocery store you should try to check out their cottage cheese. I used to eat it alone it was that good. I don't like any other brand of cottage cheese. The reason Kroger's is so good is probably because they mix a good amount of whey (not whey protein concentrate, just whey) into it, which obviously changes the flavor. It also makes the nutritional profile better for me (5g carb per 15g pro).

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
i shop at Kroger all the time man - it's where i usually pick up my organic selections, brown rice syrup, almond butter, etc.
never tried their cc..been using Daisy 2% small curd, specs out to 90cals/.5 cup, 2.5g f, 14g p, 4g carbs.
will check into it - but not hopeful. i dunno what it is about cc - taste/texture both absolutely revolting to me, always have been.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i shop at Kroger all the time man - it's where i usually pick up my organic selections, brown rice syrup, almond butter, etc.
never tried their cc..been using Daisy 2% small curd, specs out to 90cals/.5 cup, 2.5g f, 14g p, 4g carbs.
will check into it - but not hopeful. i dunno what it is about cc - taste/texture both absolutely revolting to me, always have been.
Ah ok, good stuff. Their 2% tastes better than any other brand cc, but I recommend the fat free one. It has a really "soft" texture and no sourness to it, whereas other cc I think has a more rubbery texture to it that's kind of weird, but not bad (it's the taste that gets me more than anything).

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
pick of the back here before bed..damn i been making progress.

thinking i may have to lay down and rest for a week to 10 days, need to heal up the elbows before i mess around and hurt myself..

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Take care of yourself brother! 10 days now is better than 4 weeks if something goes wrong!!!!!
absolutely my friend.
tough for my mentality to rest, but wise indeed.
resting the elbows..still getting in some leg work tomorrow.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
i am very happy with the last 5 weeks.
(other than the elbow deterioration that is ahahaa)

will attempt to work around it it for awhile..lower body day #1 this morning.

quick feedback on the first week of TRS -- have i said how much i LOOOOOVE this stuff??
awesome combination of compounds, exquisite quality.
this time around, i figured i'd try something different..rubbed some sustain alpha on my genitals as directions indicate you can..
just a lil bit. and - i'll be damned if it doesn't provide a lil boost to the machine! (pun fully erected errrr i mean, distended no wait not right either -- how bout intended)
TCF is great as well, just makes you feel gooooood.
seriously - this might just be my fav group of products from Primordial. hyooge thumbs up! :fing02:

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
lil food pic, since it's been awhile.
before i got to munching on it, was 10oz lean (96%) beef, chopped up with onions and shrooms, can't see the bleu cheese crumbles anymore cuz they already melted.
paired with the usual 5oz salad w/ tomato & red pepper (balsamic vinaigrette/olive oil dressing this night), and couple carmel rice cakes for dessert. (low carb meal, 670cals total)

i twinged my back bending over for a runaway crouton.... :doh:

SUN 10/7
rest

MON 10/8
lower body, scheme #2

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
oh, forgot to mention..
i've settled in to a finite postWO nutrition..altho i like switching things up, this is sweet in its simplicity.
i strive to keep macros ~80-90g carbs/40-50g protein, minimum fat for this timing.
been rolling with :

1 can Sierra Mist Natural,
shake of 2 TBS brown rice syrup + 2 scoops isolate

that sierra mist is crisp and refreshing, cheap too..natural ingredients, real sugar.

huggy77

huggy77

Awards
day #4 today, moving to rep scheme 2 on upper body.

felt good, used 115s thruout my 6 sets on incline DB bench..i think lugging them things up and down myself is more tiresome than the actual reps themselves..
oughtta make for some beefy forearms if done regularly for an extended period of time, LOL.

only downside is, my elbows been bothering me a bit lately....
:scared:
I always feel the same way lugging around big dumbbells. Your luck u have 115s. My gym makes me jump from 110 to 120 which sucks.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
I always feel the same way lugging around big dumbbells. Your luck u have 115s. My gym makes me jump from 110 to 120 which sucks.
and i have the opposite problem - i have 125s, but no 120s. :D

moving leg day to tomorrow, back is still a lil tight from saturday.
weight @199.9 upon rising. :(
my metabolism is goofy right now, gonna need to increase cals slightly again.
pic of arm after no upper-body work in what seems like forever (5-6 days i think lol)

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
stocked up on almond butter and brown rice syrup today, and found this new lil MaraNatha item.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looking massive, brother. Awesome work. I'm subbed for the rest of it. Getting some great cooking tips already!

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Looking massive, brother. Awesome work. I'm subbed for the rest of it. Getting some great cooking tips already!
welcome, old friend.
good to have you here. :)

lower body, scheme #2 -- with a lil twist.
back feeling fresh again, but i wanted an addtl day of rest to ensure healing.
so, did some walking DB lunges in place of the deadlifts, and broke the 4-rep scheme with these, instead doing @8 steps per leg since i haven't done them in awhile (kept the squats @6x4)..felt pretty good.

elbow is feeling better too, but not quite all the way back yet. still feels funny when i awake in the morning..
better heal up! Month #2 in the program is looming, and ima need dem elbows at full strength!
(ooooo clean & presses coming..haven't done in a very long time..)

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
training today: none, rest

interesting meals i been having lately.
last night for supper, i had:
5oz lean beef
3oz black forest ham
3oz roast beef
1/2 cup jasmine rice (Matt Porter inspired the jasmine rice..yum love the stuff)
625cals

<4500cals i put down yesterday -- and weight dint change one bit> :think:

for breakfast today, was:
5oz lean beef
1 cup frosted mini-wheats + 6oz almond milk
then, the shake: 1 scoop isolate + 1/2 cup cottage cheese + 1/4 cup oats, in 10oz of water.
nice lil 650 cal meal there, delicious and nutritious and well-balanced.

oh...and dem walking DB lunges yesterday -- they tore me up! :eek:
(in a good way)

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have you ever had Basmatti rice? - I pretty much eat only beef as my meat source and I'll mix it up with Basmatti. I love the stuff. - I throw in taco seasoning, salsa, and fat-free sour cream.

It looks like mush, but it's delicious.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Have you ever had Basmatti rice? - I pretty much eat only beef as my meat source and I'll mix it up with Basmatti. I love the stuff. - I throw in taco seasoning, salsa, and fat-free sour cream.

basmatti is next on my list - MP recs that one as well.
up till now, i just been a plain ol' brown rice kind of guy.
as for beef - you know i am right there with ya.
beef: it's what's for dinner.
and breakfast.
and lunch..... :)

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I can attest ^^^^ solid meal.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
stocked up on almond butter and brown rice syrup today, and found this new lil MaraNatha item.

I NEED to try that , I'll order some online haha.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
well guys - decided to roll out some some upper body work this day, kick lower body back to FRI, and start setting up for month #2 in the program.
no DB tho, will stick with BB to ease in.
i'm ready..been kinda stir-crazy w/o the upper body action.

and..it was on. :hammer:
after waking in a foul mood cuz i stayed up late to watch the DET-OAK game, just to see my Tigers wrap the series up..led the whole game, up 3-1 in the 9th only to watch freakin closer (?) valverde blow it in less than 5min :rant: ... had some fuel for the early morn workout, and a good one it was.

very basic, did some incline BB bench alternated with cable pulldowns (pronated), 6 sets working pyramid up in weights/down in reps. started at 225x12 on the incline BB, just feeling things out, ended at 325x4 -- elbow felt solid thruout! no issues at all.
moved to standing military presses, did 5 straight sets @135x8, again just working back into things, dint want to push.
ended with some direct ab work (almost forgot what this was like been so long lol)..no arm movements this day.

just a very nice day in the weight room, very pleased..nice to have teh chest a bit swole again. :D

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Ugh....that's all I have to say about....,you know what I'm talking about.

Snag, you only use whey isolate protein?
yes, i do..and - yes, i do (pretty much anyway).
i'm not worried about fast-digesting protein when i'm eating every 2-2.5hrs bro. ;)

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yes, i do..and - yes, i do (pretty much anyway).
i'm not worried about fast-digesting protein when i'm eating every 2-2.5hrs bro. ;)
I'm shopping around some protein ideas (low carb of course ;-)) probably going to end up with isolate. Have you used truenutrition's isolate?

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm shopping around some protein ideas (low carb of course ;-)) probably going to end up with isolate. Have you used truenutrition's isolate?
I give them a thumbs up. - Are there quite a few of these "make your own" shops now? I remember there were only a couple popular ones for a while. I always used ProteinCo/ATW.

Ugh, I shutter at protein costs these days. I bought a bag at Sam's like a year ago. That's been the extent of my whey intake.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice rehab workout, Snag. - I've been there before, easing into things but still having a great session. It's a combination of knowing that things are getting better, and that you pushed yourself to what your body told you to do. Makes for a nice leap forward.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
thanks IC, yes you nailed it pretty aptly.
had no intention of going quite that heavy for bench, but everything was feeling good and things were quite light in the early going.
my bench has always been the strongest of my lifts, proportionately speaking, so it was easy to push myself a lil bit on these..
by the time i got to shoulders and utilizing stability, figured i'd better back off -- even tho i wanted to toss on some more weight.
still quite pleased with the whole process and again you nail - nice points to build off from here out. :thumbsup:

today, lower body day scheme #3.
no issues with the back, everything felt good this morning.
the plan is to hit upper body in some fashion tomorrow, take SUN off, and begin MON with the second month in the program.

weight still hovering ~200 -- even tho i have not dipped below 4k cals in a few days (went up to 4750 day before yesterday!)
i'm quite at a loss to explain this..maybe i'm due for a dirty cal day..

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have you ever had the California Pizza Kitchen frozen pizzas? - Perfect for a somewhat-dirty, high-cal day. Jamaican Jerk and BBQ Chicken are my favorites! - I believe it's about 45g of protein per pie, and around 90g carbohydrates. - I tend to eat them after my 5x3 and 5x5 workouts.

Just a suggestion.

What was your highest bench most recently? - I apologize if you've already posted your lifting stats.

I need some serious work on my bench! Unlike you, Bench has always been my weakest. Whenever someone asks me what I bench, I tend to say "Wrong question." and hope to deflect them to "How much do you squat?" :eek:

I think the biggest problem is that I rarely have a training partner. I can push myself on Squat or DL regardless, but that's not the case with bench.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I want a dirty cal day.

But it ain't because I'm not gaining, haha