Tendonitis

Joshinator

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Im not sure where to put this. But does anybody have any experience with tendonitis? Ive got several places all around my elbow that are starting to bother me, and its getting out of control. Does anybody have any ideas that would help?

I take ibuprofen before going to the gym to prevent bad flare ups.

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Do you do a lot of extensions for triceps, if so alternate for dips and/or close grip bench.

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Do you do a lot of extensions for triceps, if so alternate for dips and/or close grip bench.

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Also if you insist on a skull crusher type movement or push downs use an underhand grip with slightly lighter weight and higher reps.

SMS

SMS

Awards
  • First Up Vote
tendonitis where? golfers elbow? or tennis elbow?

i´ve had both and got rid of them

take some time off (2-4weeks) from the exercises that make you feel pain around the zone, depending on how bad is the issue, then start off from zero with controlled moves and very light weight on those particular exercises.

in the meantime, get some joint support supplement (i´m big fan of Animal Flex, after trying several others, staple for me now). as additional get some vit C, eat pineapple, collagen/gelatin and you are served. (could add many more stuff, it just depends on what you lack which isn´t easy to know)

if you can afford to go to physiotherapist, great!, if not do massage yourself and let the body do the rest of the work.

dgrimm1270PL

Awards
I box of gelatin in
water a day. All types of tendonitis are caused by overuse. I saw that someone recommended doing underhand extensions and I agree but if you want a great routine for triceps that was specifically designed to reduce and hopefully eliminate elbow pain of all types I have found one I love. It's a John Meadows workout and it works wonders simply by having the trainee use slightly different handles on extension exercises, using certain exercises in a specific sequence to properly warm up the elbows before using any heavy weight, then instead of skull crushers which kill almost everyone's elbows he recommends JM presses with an ez curl bar. When the muscle is fully pumped he has you end with light Overhead cable extensions to really stretch the belly of the muscle. Look up John Meadows tricep workouts for sore elbows and give it a shot. Good luck

Joshinator

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
tendonitis where? golfers elbow? or tennis elbow?

i´ve had both and got rid of them

take some time off (2-4weeks) from the exercises that make you feel pain around the zone, depending on how bad is the issue, then start off from zero with controlled moves and very light weight on those particular exercises.

in the meantime, get some joint support supplement (i´m big fan of Animal Flex, after trying several others, staple for me now). as additional get some vit C, eat pineapple, collagen/gelatin and you are served. (could add many more stuff, it just depends on what you lack which isn´t easy to know)

if you can afford to go to physiotherapist, great!, if not do massage yourself and let the body do the rest of the work.
Tennis elbow and golfers elbow. Good info, i might just have to take that time off. I was thinking about using anti inflammatory meds to try and control it first

Joshinator

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I box of gelatin in
water a day. All types of tendonitis are caused by overuse. I saw that someone recommended doing underhand extensions and I agree but if you want a great routine for triceps that was specifically designed to reduce and hopefully eliminate elbow pain of all types I have found one I love. It's a John Meadows workout and it works wonders simply by having the trainee use slightly different handles on extension exercises, using certain exercises in a specific sequence to properly warm up the elbows before using any heavy weight, then instead of skull crushers which kill almost everyone's elbows he recommends JM presses with an ez curl bar. When the muscle is fully pumped he has you end with light Overhead cable extensions to really stretch the belly of the muscle. Look up John Meadows tricep workouts for sore elbows and give it a shot. Good luck
I dont even do heavy dips any more. No tricep specific exercises because i lost half my left arm and i dont want to get too lopsided

Joshinator

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I dont do a lot. I do dips but the weight isnt that heavy. Curls sets it off pretty bad. Pretty much everything can set it off. If i move my arm too fast i can cause some pain

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Do one arm high rep cable's not using a handle. Vary the position of the hand from hammer grip to open and in between. Do this twice a week. Vary the movements....it will re-align the tendons.

dgrimm1270PL

Awards
If curls set if off start doing as many exercises as possible with a thumb less grip. Also start doing high rep thimbles reverse curls. You can use wrist straps around an ez curl bar if helps you maintain a good grip. You most likely wrap your thumb around every barbell, dumbbell or machine when you lift so basically your forearm flexors are always being trained but unless you do a lot of reverse curls, especially without using your thumb around the bar you are just creating a huge imbalance between your forearm flexors and extensors

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
High dose of Cissus & a decent Tens unit (got mine at target for $35)

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
High dose of Cissus & a decent Tens unit (got mine at target for $35)
Was going to recommend same. I've had Achilles tendon issues for several years. A quality TENS unit and Flexatril have pretty much taken care of my issues.