Tender Hearted Deer Hunter

The Neck

The Neck

Awards
  • Established
> A hunter and his friend were sitting
in a
tall tower stand along Highway 16 near Vanderhoof, BC early one cold December morning.
>
> Suddenly, a huge buck walked out over
the
corn they had spread in the low shrubs The buck was magnificent..... a once in a lifetime animal. His rack was huge. The hunter's hand shook as his mind was already counting the Boone and Crockett points.
>
> Moving quickly, the hunter carefully
aimed the Leopold scope on his .300 Win Mag at the unsuspecting buck.
>
> As he was about to squeeze the trigger
on
this deer of a lifetime, his friend alerted him to a funeral procession passing slowly down Highway 16.
>
> The hunter pulled away from the
gunstock,
set the rifle down, took off his hat, bowed his head and then closed his eyes in prayer. His friend was stunned.
>
> "Wow, that is the most thoughtful and
touching thing I have ever seen you do. You actually let that trophy deer go to pay respects to a passing funeral procession. You are indeed the kindest man I have ever known, and I feel lucky to call you a friend."
>
>
>
>
> The hunter shrugged. "Yeah, well, we
were
married for 37 years."

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
LOL...good stuff....

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Woah... .300 WM for a deer? A bit overkill, don't ya think?

:lol: Yeah, yeah, I got the point of the story. Reminds me of my ideal day out hunting. ;)

Marcello

Awards
Lawl. I would say a .300 is a bit overkill as well :p

The Neck

The Neck

Awards
  • Established
Woah... .300 WM for a deer? A bit overkill, don't ya think?

:lol: Yeah, yeah, I got the point of the story. Reminds me of my ideal day out hunting. ;)

LOL, very true! I guess if your gonna do it, do it right!!

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Kinda to get a little off-topic, but I'm curious... Can anyone give me an idea of the size of a deer? I know what they look like, see 'em often enough in Pennsylvania here, but need to quantify it. What is the weight and shoulder height of a good size doe and buck?

Reason I ask is that my perspective with them is really skewed lately. I picture them as pretty big, but then when I compare to my dog, they're definitely not that big! Last similar animal I saw out in the wild was a bull elk, so that's definitely too big. My Dane is 34" at the shoulder and about 145lbs - over 7 feet tip to tip easy.

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
Kinda to get a little off-topic, but I'm curious... Can anyone give me an idea of the size of a deer? I know what they look like, see 'em often enough in Pennsylvania here, but need to quantify it. What is the weight and shoulder height of a good size doe and buck?

Reason I ask is that my perspective with them is really skewed lately. I picture them as pretty big, but then when I compare to my dog, they're definitely not that big! Last similar animal I saw out in the wild was a bull elk, so that's definitely too big. My Dane is 34" at the shoulder and about 145lbs - over 7 feet tip to tip easy.
La. Basin
Buck 240lbs.
Doe 200lbs.

La. marsh
Buck 170lbs.
Doe 140lbs.

I once shot an annoying little squirel at 25 yards with a 308. He barked at me one too many times.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
La. Basin
Buck 240lbs.
Doe 200lbs.

La. marsh
Buck 170lbs.
Doe 140lbs.

I once shot an annoying little squirel at 25 yards with a 308. He barked at me one too many times.
What are you feedin' them down there, man!!!

Thanks for the stats. :cheers:

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
What are you feedin' them down there, man!!!

Thanks for the stats. :cheers:
The Achafalaya Basin is very nutrient rich. Run off from many rivers, lakes, and streams makes it excellent habitat for wildlife.