Teens and Test Boosters, the Age Old Question

GreekTheBrick

GreekTheBrick

Awards
  • Established
Welcome to AM!

Given that you are a healthy teen, no test booster in the world will give you anything. At this age you are at your prime, eat BIG and lift HEAVY and you will grow like a truck.

Paul, besides eating BIG and lifting HEAVY, might be stupid and took physical enchancement drugs. MIGHT. Either way you shouldn't consider it all as it is the most stupid thing a teen can do.

PS. Return or sell the test booster you have bought.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
At 16, just stick to lifting heavy, focusing on form and technique. Get your sleep and eat food. Additionally, stick around here and join other fitnes communities and read up on different types of training and nutrition. I would not suggest any supplements. Maybe a protein powder if you have some income, but if your parents are feeding you, just eat, eat, eat!

Daycrawler

Awards
  • Established
If Paul put on a ton of muscle with minimal fat, he likely took pro hormones. It's not a real secret that most brick and mortar stores sell prohormones under the labels of test booster. Not your GNCs of the world but I recall stopping by a OneStop nutrition and they had a cleverly named product that had Superdrol a good two years after it had gotten schedule III status.

Some stuff I wish I knew at 16:
Eat lots, do cardio, don't try to be better than anyone else but yourself. Stretch and Foam roll often. Read up about trigger points. Focus on form, not weight. Do plyo training.

There's zero need for a test booster at 16.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Definitely just eat, workout, sleep, repeat. I think most of us here would love to go back to 16-18 years old, I know I would. You are hitting your prime, and it sounds like you have already done a great job. Plus, now you have AM to help you going forward.

I was in high school during the so called steriod era of baseball. We were all taking crap with no PCT, no guidance, no brains. I'm certain it did way more harm than good. I was diagnosed with melenoma few years back at 36, non sun related. In my mind, I feel it's linked to some of the spiked stuff I ran back then.

Anyways, Paul may have different genetics as well. Don't worry about him, just focus on you.

Killcure666

Awards
As the other guys have said get rid of the test booster it won't do anything. They hardly do anything for anyone especially teens with soaring testosterone levels.

If I could give advice to my younger self I would say find a good structured phased out program and follow it exactly as it's written. Focus on eating vegetables, minimally processed foods and high quality protein sources at about 1.0g per lbs of body weight. Diet and training will do far more for your physique than any supplement ever will.

Above all stay consistent, the huge guys you see at the gym are huge because they stuck with their diet and program for years on end. Consistency is key

Killcure666

Awards
By lifting heavy, do you mean stuff under your 5 RM? For instance, on the bench, I can do 195 for 6, and my goal is 195 for 8. Once I hit 195 for 8, I plan to move up to 205 for 8, which has worked well for me. I remember one week, I benched 175 for 6, then my next workout I miraculously hit 185 for 8, I was amazed how my bench went up 10 pounds and 2 reps in a matter of days.

I also got advice from an adult at the gym who told me a nice trick to increase my bench was to do dumbbell presses, so I could strengthen each side, which makes sense, so I am currently not flat benching, and working on making my one chest/tricep as strong as the other. My last workout I did 75 on each arm for 8, so my next goal is to bump it up to 80 on each arm, and get 8 reps.
I would find a phased program if I were you. Doing 4-6 weeks with heavy weight which is considered 1-6 reps followed by 4-6 week phases of higher reps 8-12 in order to keep the body from plateauing.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Sounds like you knew the answer to your own question. At 16 it's not worth using a test booster. Paul may very well not even know what he was taking.

210LBS

Awards
  • Established
Not really an age old question. The verdict on this has been out for quite some time now - a test booster will do nothing for you. When I was in high school I was consistent never missing a workout and would eat like crazy. I ate anything and everything - you name it; pop tarts, pizza, donuts, eggs - I swear, it's like whatever I ate I would just grow. God I miss those days. Anyway, your friend is probably on PH or AAS. PHs are so easily available. He could be on a PH and think it's a test booster.

Switchfoot

Switchfoot

Awards
I do eat a lot, I started lifting around May, and over the summer I went from around 156 to 185 pounds, and currently weigh 192, my height is also 5'10. I grew so much over the summer, I got those dang stretch marks on both shoulders, gotta' get rid of em'. Also, it's just the temptation, Paul got massive, and the kid even rumored to me that he could bench in the 300s. However what made me question if he just took boosters was the size of his traps, they looked really overdeveloped, and I know people that use PES do have bigger traps.

Any other words of advice from you vets out there?
Stretch marks, "got to get rid of them"?! You should be proud of them and look at them as a "right of passage". It's proof you are growing.
Keep doing what you are doing, forget about the "test boosters", and use the money for protein instead.

210LBS

Awards
  • Established
By not worth it, do you mean not worth it as in it will have no effects, or the positives won't be worth the negatives? I hear stories of teens getting good results with test boosters, so why does the answer that concludes them ineffective in teens often contradict people's "results" with them?
They won't work. You are not going to boost your test levels any high than they already are. There will be no positive or negative side effects. The results you are hearing are placebo.

210LBS

Awards
  • Established
Stretch marks, "got to get rid of them"?! You should be proud of them and look at them as a "right of passage". It's proof you are growing.
Keep doing what you are doing, forget about the "test boosters", and use the money for protein instead.
When I was in high school I started getting stretch marks on my arms and chest. I bought cocoa butter and rubbed it in to get rid of them. Did absolutely nothing. The stretch marks just kept growing and growing the more I worked out. The muscle is definitely worth the stretch marks!

SlavicStrong

Awards
Uggh.. so much for the beach body, it's such an eye sore, lol..

StatePlan1425

StatePlan1425

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
By not worth it, do you mean not worth it as in it will have no effects, or the positives won't be worth the negatives? I hear stories of teens getting good results with test boosters, so why does the answer that concludes them ineffective in teens often contradict people's "results" with them?
Not including "test boosters" that actually contain PHs or DSs, the most common side effect of "test boosters" are monetary catabolism and wallet atrophy..."not worth it" as in doesn't work at any age really not as in they work but lots of side effects. They're lots of discussions here on AM about the value of test boosters. Sure, maybe for guys with really low T to help with sex drive or maybe from loosing muscle but not for most guys and certainly not for someone young. IF they increased your T even a few more points you are not going to notice an effect.

Now, in terms of "real world results?" Never underestimate the power of placebo! Again, assuming the stories you're hearing about other teens do not include PH, DS, AAS, I guarantee that any additional "gains" they're getting from a test booster are placebo. (e.g. your expecting more T, therefore you feel more aggressive, therefore tou train with more intensity, etc.)

Stick around on AM. Lots of wise men and women here to learn from. Many you've already heard from.

Cheers.

Switchfoot

Switchfoot

Awards
Not including "test boosters" that actually contain PHs or DSs, the most common side effect of "test boosters" are monetary catabolism and wallet atrophy..."not worth it" as in doesn't work at any age really not as in they work but lots of side effects. They're lots of discussions here on AM about the value of test boosters. Sure, maybe for guys with really low T to help with sex drive or maybe from loosing muscle but not for most guys and certainly not for someone young. IF they increased your T even a few more points you are not going to notice an effect.

Now, in terms of "real world results?" Never underestimate the power of placebo! Again, assuming the stories you're hearing about other teens do not include PH, DS, AAS, I guarantee that any additional "gains" they're getting from a test booster are placebo. (e.g. your expecting more T, therefore you feel more aggressive, therefore tou train with more intensity, etc.)

Stick around on AM. Lots of wise men and women here to learn from. Many you've already heard from.

Cheers.
Monetary catabolism and wallet atrophy. LOL

StatePlan1425

StatePlan1425

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do you think, if Paul did take PHs and stuff, that in the future he will have problems?
I'm not an MD and even if I were, impossible to give you an answer without more information. All I can say is the probability some will have complications later is higher than someone who did not use PHs, AASs. Now, don't go and scare the $#!+ out of your friend. Just encourage him down a different path.

210LBS

Awards
  • Established
As I've been researching test boosters for two months, here is my hypothesis if you may...I don't necessarily think it's the test boosting properties that give teens results, I think it's the estrogen blocking properties. I've heard that since teenagers have high test, their estrogen is up there too, and estrogen is referred to as anti-test. It might be a lot more dangerous, but I theorize an aromatase inhibitor would do more for a teen than a natural test booster, any thoughts?
Teenage hormones are all out of whack. The only way you're going to know your estradiol and test is to get blood work done. But regardless, I don't think your estrogen levels at your age should be that high. Typically, when you go through puberty, hormone imbalances may occur where you have too much estrogen, but that is usually fixed on its own over a short period of time I believe. Therefore, even the OTC anti-estrogen properties aren't really going to do that much for you - if anything. Now, if you are referring to a legit aromatase inhibitor like aromasin, maybe that would have an impact on raising your test levels. But that's assuming you can increase your natural testosterone levels higher than they already are. But now we are getting into illegal stuff with real side effects.

There are plenty of other people who are much older than you who use testosterone boosters. Their test levels are far lower than yours and many probably have higher estrogen levels, and they don't report the kind of results you are talking about.

Switchfoot

Switchfoot

Awards
Thanks for the answers so far, keep em' coming, they are actually starting to motivate me to work even harder. Anyways, still looking for an answer if you can over-eat as a teen. For instance, I'll stuff my face at dinner, get full, then an hour or two later, get hungry again, and want to eat. Is this okay? Or will it make me gain fat?
There is only one way to find out and that is to keep doing what you are doing. If you get fat you'll have your answer, but I guarantee you'll gain muscle in the process.

210LBS

Awards
  • Established
I feel like I won't gain too much fat though, for three reasons, one, I am a growing boy, two I use the calories for muscle building, and three, I feel like if the body is saying it needs more food, then it needs for food, and will most likely not gain fat too quickly.
You can still get fat but you have more leeway. Basically, just be a 16 year old kid. Don't be the kid who can't eat pizza with his friends because you're cutting. As long as you are working out hard you're going to need to feed those muscles. If you sit around all day and eat ice cream then you'll get fat. Workout hard and eat and you'll be good. If you feel like you're getting fat then go out for a run or cut back a little. Just listen to your body.

Switchfoot

Switchfoot

Awards
I feel like I won't gain too much fat though, for three reasons, one, I am a growing boy, two I use the calories for muscle building, and three, I feel like if the body is saying it needs more food, then it needs for food, and will most likely not gain fat too quickly.
Yep. That's my logic also.