TDEE calculations

AvidFisherman

Awards
I am 32, 275lbs 20%bf.

Right now I am using MyFitnessPal to monitor my calories but I was wondering why the TDEE from MyFitnessPal differed from other online TDEE calculators so much and what the best source of registering your TDEE is.

According to MyFitnessPal, without exercising I need to consume 2370 calories a day to loose 1 lbs a week, meaning they log my TDEE at 2870, being seditary. Online calculators have my TDEE anywhere from 3100 through 3800 when I submit that I work out 5 days a week.

Right now I am just going to keep following MyFitnessPal because it's working for me but I was wondering if there was a more accurate way to judge TDEE?

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I typically don't use the calculations on myfitnesspal, and I don't log my exercise on the app either. I'm not sure how they calculate your TDEE, but I feel that the numbers in that app are off too. With myfitnesspal, the 2870 number is your base TDEE, and when you log exercise in the app it will increase the amount of calories you can eat. I suggest not logging exercise though, it will make your intake very inconsistent and very hard to keep track of.

Bottom line though, if what you're doing right now is working for you, stick to it. TDEE is just an estimation anyway, its usually inaccurate no matter what calculator you use. If you're losing weight at 2870 cals then stick to it. An online calculator would most likely be more accurate for getting your TDEE, but if your method and current diet is working, then stick to it! Good luck with reaching your goals

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
^ good synopsis of it just being an estimate

This is one of those weird things where the best method is actually just trial and error, screw science! ;)
Lol

The mfp estimate looks realistic to me, run those cals a few consecutive weeks and monitor your average weekly weight loss.

Don't weigh in daily it will mess with your head.

Expect a lot of water fluctuation if you're just starting

AvidFisherman

Awards
I've been running it for about 6 months and have lost 6 percent bodyfat, so I know it's working. It's just now that I'm getting down lower in bodyfat it's going to be harder to loose weight so I'm wanting to be more accurate with my planning.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
I've been running it for about 6 months and have lost 6 percent bodyfat, so I know it's working. It's just now that I'm getting down lower in bodyfat it's going to be harder to loose weight so I'm wanting to be more accurate with my planning.
Very well done brother

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You are correct that it will get harder as you go. There are several methods of creating some better deficit. You can try eating a little less every couple weeks, adding in extra work load, cycle carbs, ect. At 20% bf you should see some good effects from increasing cardio times by 10 mins every couple weeks until you start to stall. After that though you will have to keep a thought eye on the diet. I like to tell people its not a diet, is a certain kind of suffering.

baxtecal

baxtecal

Awards
  • Established
Go to IIFYM . Com (no spaces), Once you go to webpage it says "TDEE calculator" at top of page on one of the tabs, it will give you a good estimate if you input the info asked correctly. hope this helps!

HeizzMP

HeizzMP

Awards
OP, online calculators are a great place to start. It's frustrating that a few of these calculators are giving you quite a wide range for calories. All you can do is stick with one, be consistent, and see where it takes you. Once you have a basis for your calories/macros, you can follow weekly how your body progresses (lose weight, gain, maintain), and then you can vary your intake based on your goals.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Georgiepecker Nutrition / Health 5
Nutrition / Health 3
Nutrition / Health 1
Weight Loss 3
Nutrition / Health 1