Taxes

kjscatch

kjscatch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
How do you guys file your taxes? Use to do them myself, but now, with kids, I haven't. I have used H&R Block for the past 5 years, but I always feel like we should get more back. They are in my small town. I could go to other persona accountants and was wondering if you think that's more beneficial? Or do you think it is just a wash?

Not looking forward to seeing how this child tax credit personally affects us. We haven't touched it in savings. Super stupid. You should have to apply for any money you are given. But we would probably have to pay it back for other people anyway in the future.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I began using a personally known CPA several years ago, and have always been glad with that decision.

I, personally, would avoid the more seasonal companies because they merely train people how to do taxes, but the people doing them are not experts.

So, I would compare prices and go with the one I felt best about. For me, that was a CPA who specializes in taxes. He also has handled my Mom's estate and has provided me with tax planning advice, strategies, etc.

Last edited:
xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
i agree with Beau ... find either a good CPA or buisiness adviser. ask around to people you know. particularly the ones who have been in business a while. the most successful companies usually have really good CPAs in house. with small businesses usually hiring someone like described above. I certainly think though in todays day and age, do some gooling and BBB searching before makign your final choice who to use.

kjscatch

kjscatch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i agree with Beau ... find either a good CPA or buisiness adviser. ask around to people you know. particularly the ones who have been in business a while. the most successful companies usually have really good CPAs in house. with small businesses usually hiring someone like described above. I certainly think though in todays day and age, do some gooling and BBB searching before makign your final choice who to use.
Thanks fellas. Yes we know some other accountants in our town. I am also starting a super small dog training business (that could blowup come summer doing board and trains anyways) and am gonna need some guidance.

BOSSMAN

BOSSMAN

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Experience with H&R block, they was charging me around 1k for my wife and I taxes. We have alot to file between holding two jobs, we both have businesses, kids, stocks, and properties so it is a pretty intense situation.

Found a cpa, and for the same filings our fees were 75% less for the same work 🤷🇺🇸

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Experience with H&R block, they was charging me around 1k for my wife and I taxes. We have alot to file between holding two jobs, we both have businesses, kids, stocks, and properties so it is a pretty intense situation.

Found a cpa, and for the same filings our fees were 75% less for the same work 🤷🇺🇸
100% (y)

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
FWIW - my taxes have a fairly high degree of complexity, and I paid $550 last year. A $1000? Ouch - did they buy you drinks first?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
How do you guys file your taxes? Use to do them myself, but now, with kids, I haven't. I have used H&R Block for the past 5 years, but I always feel like we should get more back. They are in my small town. I could go to other persona accountants and was wondering if you think that's more beneficial? Or do you think it is just a wash?

Not looking forward to seeing how this child tax credit personally affects us. We haven't touched it in savings. Super stupid. You should have to apply for any money you are given. But we would probably have to pay it back for other people anyway in the future.
My mother does my taxes lol.

She's a the payroll person for the hospital and does a lot of ppls taxes for them so I give her mine 2. A few years back h&r block said they could get me x amount and my mom figured out they were shorting me like $800 so that was the end of that

kjscatch

kjscatch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My mother does my taxes lol.

She's a the payroll person for the hospital and does a lot of ppls taxes for them so I give her mine 2. A few years back h&r block said they could get me x amount and my mom figured out they were shorting me like $800 so that was the end of that
That's what I am saying. My brother always gets back way more than me and they don't make too much more than us. Plus we have 2 (now 3 kids) and they only have 1.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rocket3015 General Chat 5
JoeBrooklyn General Chat 7
General Chat 6
Nabisco Politics 11
RobInKuwait Politics 39