Taking PA Pre-workout and Whey Post workout. Good or Bad?

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Guys,

I am on a bulking phase now and my diet is in check. I shoot to about 3500-3600 cals/day and have put on 3lbs in 2 weeks and still continuing to gain weight. My staples are

MyProtein Instant Oats & Maltodextrin- along with my second meal (9:00AM)
Whey Concentrate & Creatine- Post workout.
Fish Oil, Multi and Evening Primrose
Pre-workout/Caffeine pill- once or twice a week

I am thinking about adding EPIQ PA to this. But, read in a few articles that this could interfere with my Whey and cause a reduction in Protein synthesis.

Since it's recommended to take PA 30mins pre-workout;
Would it be counter productive to take PA?
Should I stop Whey and only take PA till I finish this cycle?

Zman68

Zman68

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Guys,

I am on a bulking phase now and my diet is in check. I shoot to about 3500-3600 cals/day and have put on 3lbs in 2 weeks and still continuing to gain weight. My staples are

MyProtein Instant Oats & Maltodextrin- along with my second meal (9:00AM)
Whey Concentrate & Creatine- Post workout.
Fish Oil, Multi and Evening Primrose
Pre-workout/Caffeine pill- once or twice a week

I am thinking about adding EPIQ PA to this. But, read in a few articles that this could interfere with my Whey and cause a reduction in Protein synthesis.

Since it's recommended to take PA 30mins pre-workout;
Would it be counter productive to take PA?
Should I stop Whey and only take PA till I finish this cycle?
You should be fine man, I've been taking OL Triumph (contains PA) for at least 6-7 months now and I always drink whey post workout with no issues. While I haven't read the research specifically regarding this, anecdotally speaking my DEXA results show I have continued to make gains in that time period, so I think it should be alright.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You should be fine man, I've been taking OL Triumph (contains PA) for at least 6-7 months now and I always drink whey post workout with no issues. While I haven't read the research specifically regarding this, anecdotally speaking my DEXA results show I have continued to make gains in that time period, so I think it should be alright.
Check this out. Wasn't a human study though. That's why I wanted help. Don't want to waste a supplement and flush my money down.

http://sciencedrivennutrition.com/whey-protein-alone-or-with-phosphatidic-acid-more-is-not-always-better/

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I took heaps of PA soy leth with my ARA, not sure if it worked but at 9 bucks a can you can't go wrong.

Zman68

Zman68

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Check this out. Wasn't a human study though. That's why I wanted help. Don't want to waste a supplement and flush my money down.]
Interesting study for sure. From my experience it is worth it and I would say give it a shot. Hopefully others can chime in on this.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I dont think the rat study is demonstrating a reduction in mTOR activity with co-ingestion, but that there is no apparent synergistic effects.

Thing is, you take PA and it will be in your system for 5+ hours; should we not ingest any protein during that time? Lol, obviously for muscle growth to occur we dont want just mTOR activity but we also require a suitable substrate to actually build tissue...which is protein.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I dont think the rat study is demonstrating a reduction in mTOR activity with co-ingestion, but that there is no apparent synergistic effects.

Thing is, you take PA and it will be in your system for 5+ hours; should we not ingest any protein during that time? Lol, obviously for muscle growth to occur we dont want just mTOR activity but we also require a suitable substrate to actually build tissue...which is protein.
Interestingly, it only talks about Whey and not real food. I get your point and it's valid. Protein is Protein.