T00L Fans Read this!

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established

BryanFury

Awards
That was the coolest thing I've possibly ever read. That album ties to a lot of memories with my ex-fiance, so I don't listen to it much even though it is one of my favorite. I think I'll get to set the tracks in that order and see for myself.

I find things like this quite interesting. :tinfoilhat:

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
alwasy knew tool had a obsession with math but wow..now i know why they have a comp program called "toolbow" thats allows them to individually go in and lay seperate pieces of music..heard some tracks can take years to complete

BryanFury

Awards
Put both versions together...crazy. Going to the radio station today to use some editing software to work on overlaps. Makes me sad I didn't hear of this sooner.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
I know very little about sacred geometry, but I do not doubt it's signifigance in the writing of music. I actually never listened to Tool until this past year around the time my wife served me with divorce papers. Anyway, lateralus was the first album I got and have since aquired them all. Personally, after listening and studdying the lyrics of all of the bands work, There is an undeniable core theme to the music. Without going on forever, trying to explain what it means to me and why, I'll just say that it has caused me to examine my entire life and how I became the person that I am. I survived an abusive childhood, and when I hear songs like jimmy and pushit, what is being comunicated through the words is obvious. For me, lateralus is all about delving deep into the emotional body to feel and heal the wounds of the past. "Choosing to be here in this body". "black and white are all I see in my infancy" to me represents how I was taught to shut myself off from my emotions as a child. Creating undue damage. "red and yellow(anger and fear) then came to me reaching out to me. lets me see." Only when I allow myself to feel and grieve pain from the past can I heal and move forward. "I'll move to heal as soon as pain allows so we can reunite and both move on together".Flame me if you want, but that is the "holy gift".Reclaiming who you really are.

BryanFury

Awards
I know very little about sacred geometry, but I do not doubt it's signifigance in the writing of music. I actually never listened to Tool until this past year around the time my wife served me with divorce papers. Anyway, lateralus was the first album I got and have since aquired them all. Personally, after listening and studdying the lyrics of all of the bands work, There is an undeniable core theme to the music. Without going on forever, trying to explain what it means to me and why, I'll just say that it has caused me to examine my entire life and how I became the person that I am. I survived an abusive childhood, and when I hear songs like jimmy and pushit, what is being comunicated through the words is obvious. For me, lateralus is all about delving deep into the emotional body to feel and heal the wounds of the past. "Choosing to be here in this body". "black and white are all I see in my infancy" to me represents how I was taught to shut myself off from my emotions as a child. Creating undue damage. "red and yellow(anger and fear) then came to me reaching out to me. lets me see." Only when I allow myself to feel and grieve pain from the past can I heal and move forward. "I'll move to heal as soon as pain allows so we can reunite and both move on together".Flame me if you want, but that is the "holy gift".Reclaiming who you really are.
Would have to say you pretty much nailed it in my opinion. I might only see it the same because I have a past close to yours, but either way, I agree.

" Remember. we are eternal.
all this pain is an illusion."

Lyrics from Parabola I have inscribed on the inside of one of my rings. Personaly I think they are way ahead of their time. Their live shows are mind blowing also. Everything changes once you really listen to the lyrics.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Would have to say you pretty much nailed it in my opinion. I might only see it the same because I have a past close to yours, but either way, I agree.

" Remember. we are eternal.
all this pain is an illusion."

Lyrics from Parabola I have inscribed on the inside of one of my rings. Personaly I think they are way ahead of their time. Their live shows are mind blowing also. Everything changes once you really listen to the lyrics.
Thanks for the validation. ;)

That reminds me... I think it's about time I edit my signature.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Nice post Manbeast. There are so many layers to Tool that it doesn't surprise me that there is something like this embedded in the album. I love the song Lateralus, but I thought that the way the lyrics were dropped at the beginning was a little odd. Now it makes complete sense. If only I had the computer software to put together the album that way.

Just wish they'd put out a new album soon.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
After poking around there, I managed to stumble onto the toolshed.down.net forums... Man... I've always dug these guys, but it's one of those things where you like them more and more as time goes on. I do hope that the next album is a bit heavier than Lateralus, but only time will tell with these guys.

ManBeast

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Awesome Lean One. Though I don't have quite the abusive past some of you do I feel the pull of some of the lyrics the more I listen to them. I was completely unaware of the geometry/software stuff but I'm convinced Maynard is a musical genius.

Lines like the "We are eternal.." really did open my conciousness more fully. I never really thought music could deliver an epiphany like that but I was wrong.

Maynard lives about 20 miles from me, I keep hoping to bump into him one of these days.

size

Awards
  • Established
I am a fan of TOOL and have been for years. However, while reading this, I have to laugh at it. It reminds of Bible codes being derived thru matrices for a message, yet the same matirces find incoded messages in Mody Dick also.

If you want something truly amazing, study the number phi(Fibonacci sequence is an approximation) and see how it correlates directly with nature. Truly amazing in my opinion.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Agreed size, I don't find it laughable, I find it as a great explanation as to why even people who aren't "into" tool can find the music beautiful, due to the fact they incoporate concepts like that into it. "Natural Beauty" I guess...

ManBeast

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
I agree with this. Classical compositions have mathemtical formulas that seemingly make them more pleasing to the ear.
I would use the words Objective beauty. In this sense. Most music for example, can inspire difrent intelectual or emotional responses in difrent people.This is subjective in nature. Pieces of music written with the knowlege of the sacred geometry can be called objective because they will illicit the same emotional response regardless of who hears it. An example, "Adashio(sp) for Strings" written by Samuel Barber was used in the movies Platoon, and at the end of the elephant man. I remember hearing it a lot after 9/11 too. It also crosses over into architechture too. The cathedrals of Notre Dam are said to be built using the same geometry.

Pretty Fu*kin' cool I say. :box:

BryanFury

Awards
Slightly off track, but APC just finished a cover/remix album, the second one they've released in a year. If the sequence holds, we will see a new Tool album by early/mid 2006. In an interview, Maynard said they are playing with mood inducing tones placed under tracks so that you don't really notice, but hear them none the less. I would suspect that would mean another album along the lines of Lateralus.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Slightly off track, but APC just finished a cover/remix album, the second one they've released in a year. If the sequence holds, we will see a new Tool album by early/mid 2006. In an interview, Maynard said they are playing with mood inducing tones placed under tracks so that you don't really notice, but hear them none the less. I would suspect that would mean another album along the lines of Lateralus.
I think I heard a track off that the other day. It was Lennons' "Imagine". I caught it in the middle of the song and thought it was pretty cool. I though to myself... I gotta find out who theese gyus are. After the song, the DJ said it was APC. I laughed my ass off. It was pretty cool.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
eMOTIVe

Go, buy now.
It comes out on election day... ;)

I know because I have it on special order, along with Halo 2.. :thumbsup:

BryanFury

Awards
It comes out on election day... ;)

I know because I have it on special order, along with Halo 2.. :thumbsup:
Most of the tracks on the coming APC album aren't up to par in my opinion. Mer De Noms and 13th Step are leaps above it.

As for Halo 2...Hurry up November. :thumbsup:

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I was not impressed as much with Twiggy on the Bass as I was with Paz. I'm also not a big fan of Paiste cymbals (which Jose Freese switched to), oh well. To me Mer De Noms is APC.

ManBeast

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I do agree Mer De Noms is the difinitive APC album, and soundtrack to my sex life.. :thumbsup:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Hmm...I actually liked 13th step better. It was more atmospheric.

guitarjunkie420

Board Supporter
Awards
Danny Carey is way undrrated as a drummer I personally think he's amazing and one of the best ever up there with John Bohnam, Neil Pert , Bill Ward ect.........

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Since this has been resurected, Any body know when the new work will be released? I thought sometime this summer.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Since this has been resurected, Any body know when the new work will be released? I thought sometime this summer.
Def. not this year. I'm hoping by late 2006, early 2007. They released the Emotive album w/ all the cover song in order to hold APC fans off for awhile so that Maynard and co. can begin working on the new TOOL. From what I understand, they've just began working on it this past winter. Someone else has said that they're alos going to be teaming up with NIN again for another album. The thing with tool is that with the kind of music they play/write/compose, it takes a lot of hours getting everything right. So it may take even longer than expected...

I wish I could see them again soon, but likely won't until they start their tour for the new album, whenever that is. :sad:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Def. not this year. I'm hoping by late 2006, early 2007. They released the Emotive album w/ all the cover song in order to hold APC fans off for awhile so that Maynard and co. can begin working on the new TOOL. From what I understand, they've just began working on it this past winter. Someone else has said that they're alos going to be teaming up with NIN again for another album. The thing with tool is that with the kind of music they play/write/compose, it takes a lot of hours getting everything right. So it may take even longer than expected...

I wish I could see them again soon, but likely won't until they start their tour for the new album, whenever that is. :sad:
Actually if you check out toolband.com and sort through all the weird stuff posted, it sounds like they've made a lot of progress on it and I think have finished an 18 minute song and probably others. It could be out late fall/winter of this year, but with tool who knows.

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

Can't wait, but it'll probably be delayed and put off knowing thats how it usually goes. They will not release something that has been rushed either, I would say 2006. It seems to take them about 5 years in between records, so that would be about right.

willieman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yes, wish they would get that album...one of the best bands to see live..