Swanson52 Hypertrophy and Health

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It’s been a long ass journey. I’ve had a couple logs here in the past 20 years, and they’ve been largely powerlifting-centric. I tried like hell the last 4 years to break back into the game, but I was fat, generally weak, and ran into a few injuries. I tore my rotator cuff in 2020, had surgery 10/2020. I fought like hell to get on the platform, and I came as far as getting 405 to a 2BD 5 months after surgery. Then, the dreaded back injury. Had a discectomy and foraminectomy in June.

So, essentially I spent 10/20-8/21 rehabbing injuries, and I decided I’d had enough. I decided to get serious about nutrition, and follow a training plan that focused on hypertrophy, tempo, and execution vs just moving weight.

I started using the MacroFactor app from the Greg Nuckols camp, and I joined Paul Carter’s Yoke Squad on the TrainHeric app, all in August or so.

View attachment 210737View attachment 210738

Here’s 325>270 over the course of the last 8 months, and I’m going to jump back into a fat loss phase in a couple months. Right now I’m 263 and have been in maintenance for almost 5 weeks.

I’m just hoping for some discussion ( I have like 1 buddy who trains, and we don’t talk about it much), some accountability, and connecting with you good AM folks again.

Right now, I’m training 3 days a week, as PC just started a DC meso in Yoke Squad, doing cardio 4x/week, and one day of conditioning. I’m experimenting with macros while attempting to stay around 265 or so, mainly by way of adding calories from strictly protein.

Here we go!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
269.2 today.

I hadn’t had a diet “off day” in about a month, so I took a break yesterday. Ate 3 plates of biscuits and gravy, a pizza, 4 tamales, etc. I needed a break, and I’m ready to get back at it.

60 min LISS/MICT (15 LISS, 30 MICT, 15 LISS).
Couple rounds of light prowler pushes.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
IMG_4274.JPG

Little meal prep for the work week from last night.

266.8 today

Face away cable curls
Reverse curls
Barbell RDL
Quad leg press
Calf press

DC extreme stretching after the respective sets.

Also did 5 rounds of farmer’s carries, just trying to build up conditioning a bit.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Found you. Sounds like you have been through the ringer man; glad to see you back in action.

It’s so funny all this, as I just reread cycles for pennies…

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Found you. Sounds like you have been through the ringer man; glad to see you back in action.

It’s so funny all this, as I just reread cycles for pennies…
Yoke Squad doing a 6 week meso (8 if you include 2 acclimation weeks). I’m excited to get after it. Thanks for dropping in.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

65 min LI/MI intervals on the treadmill. Varying incline and speed basically.

10 ea prowler and farmer’s carry rounds.

Let’s fuckin eat.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Incline Swiss bar press
Cable Y raises
Cross Body Tricep Extension
Dante rows
T-Bar rows
Loaded stretches (after each body part)

20 min LISS

Smashing the food today.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

45 min MICT treadmill.

I’m only having a PWO shake on training days. I’ve eliminated all but those shakes, opting for whole foods for all my calories. I know that’s old news, but I’m stubborn. Still getting that 325-340g protein.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
262.4 yesterday

264.4 today

Cable potty curls
Zottmann curls
Seated calf raise
Glute bridge
Adductor leg press
Loaded stretches

Really good day today, nice pump after an unplanned cheat day yesterday. Today was the last session of the DC acclimation phase, the **** gets real Monday.

I should be in here crying like a bitch in a couple weeks. Lol

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I ate 1.5 pounds of brisket and ribs, 3 biscuits and like 5 pastries yesterday. I was moving into my new apartment, so I just ATE.

DB 1/2 rep bench 90x17/7/4
Cable side laterals 25x17/8/5
Overhead rope tricep extension 140x9/3/1
Lumbar cable rows 80x10/6/4
Rack chins BWx10/5/3

All the DC stretches.

Forgot what DC was like. Great pump today.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Are the lumbar rows like a back extension/erector movement?

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Seated barbell curls 60x15/8/5
Hammer curls 35x3x10
Standing calf raises 3x10
Seated hamstring curl 190x8/6/2
1-1/2 rep hack squats 200x15

I don’t feel like I “left it all out there” today. Not sure, not great focus. I did train at a box gym, so maybe that was it. Might stay home and sub heel elevated SSB squats for hacks.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Short on time, so just did a quick, 30 min LISS session.

Upper tomorrow, looking forward to this one.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just want to add something in here; if there are chubby, or dad bods checking in, let me tell you something.

Your metabolism probably isn’t slow, your NEAT sucks, and you need to increase your TDEE. About 2 months ago, coming off a fat loss phase, I started gaining weight at about 2600 cals/day (cut was ~2100). Instead of dropping back, I started doing LISS/MICT cardio 4-5x/week, in addition to training 4x/week (training sessions were typically 40-50 min). I train for hypertrophy, and 3 of those cardio sessions were 60 min, with the other 1-2 30 min. Before you hit me with the “no time”, I commute 90 min/day to a 12 hour, rotating shift power plant operator job. There’s always time.

After 52 days in maintenance, my calories to maintain my weight have gone from 2600-ish to around 3300, and I’m still 2 pounds lower than my lowest cut weight. I get a minimum of 10,000 steps in between cardio and work, and I shoot to double my expenditure on my Apple Watch. I know that doesn’t correlate to actual calories burned, but I know I’ve kept it moving all day. I also shoot for a minimum of 330g protein/day, and let fat and carbs fall wherever to hit my calories.

I’m not saying you have to do what I do, but as a lifelong fat kid who thought I had a shitty metabolism, turns out I wasn’t fucking moving enough.

Get off your ass.

/rant.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I just want to add something in here; if there are chubby, or dad bods checking in, let me tell you something.

Your metabolism probably isn’t slow, your NEAT sucks, and you need to increase your TDEE. About 2 months ago, coming off a fat loss phase, I started gaining weight at about 2600 cals/day (cut was ~2100). Instead of dropping back, I started doing LISS/MICT cardio 4-5x/week, in addition to training 4x/week (training sessions were typically 40-50 min). I train for hypertrophy, and 3 of those cardio sessions were 60 min, with the other 1-2 30 min. Before you hit me with the “no time”, I commute 90 min/day to a 12 hour, rotating shift power plant operator job. There’s always time.

After 52 days in maintenance, my calories to maintain my weight have gone from 2600-ish to around 3300, and I’m still 2 pounds lower than my lowest cut weight. I get a minimum of 10,000 steps in between cardio and work, and I shoot to double my expenditure on my Apple Watch. I know that doesn’t correlate to actual calories burned, but I know I’ve kept it moving all day. I also shoot for a minimum of 330g protein/day, and let fat and carbs fall wherever to hit my calories.

I’m not saying you have to do what I do, but as a lifelong fat kid who thought I had a shitty metabolism, turns out I wasn’t fucking moving enough.

Get off your ass.

/rant.
Pretty simple once one breaks it down eh?

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Converging chest press 140x17/6/5
DB shoulder press 45x11/6/3
Smith JM press 125x8/4/3
One arm lat pull downs 100x23/10/7
Meadows row 60x12/5/3

Loaded stretching.

I really misjudged a couple weights, obviously. All of these were supposed to be 20 total reps. Lots of slow negative tempo.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Tempo is usually 5111 or 5121. **** burns.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So I got put in charge of cooking the plant meal today, smoked a 13 pound prime rib, baked 8 potatoes. Absolute perfection, smoked the meat at 500 for 30 to get a sear, then 2.5 hours at 300. Pulled it at 115, let it rest for 20, ideal medium rare. Crust was just right.

What did I do? Ate 1.5 pounds of it, then ate a 20oz baked potato. No. Fucks. Given.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I slept in and skipped cardio today. However, I legit ate 5000 calories yesterday, and my weight only bounced up .8 pound. I’ll take that as a W.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

A flu bug put me on my ass Saturday and Sunday, did 45 min LISS yesterday, got back on the horse today.

Cable face away curls 60x8/6/4
Reverse curls 60x15
DB RDL 100’sx15
Quad leg press 335x25
Calves

Good day back, everything felt right again. Ended up barely hitting protein goal yesterday, but my appetite was ****. Hopefully that comes back today or tomorrow.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I wish ours carried the Fairlife milk but they don’t for some reason (they do have the RTDs). I just get them at Walmart, or Kroger in a pinch.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wish ours carried the Fairlife milk but they don’t for some reason (they do have the RTDs). I just get them at Walmart, or Kroger in a pinch.
I guess that’s the one thing I didn’t get there, I buy my Fairlife milk at Safeway. The RTDs come from Sam’s though.

93/7 ground beef for $4/lb!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I guess that’s the one thing I didn’t get there, I buy my Fairlife milk at Safeway. The RTDs come from Sam’s though.

93/7 ground beef for $4/lb!
Their non-antibiotic 93/7 ground turkey at Sam’s is also within that price too. Extremely similar macros and it digests faster/easier, if you ever need the variety. My wife doesn’t do beef but likes that, so we always have it around.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
261.6. Oops. I’ve been upping the calories, but I think this is residual from being sick.

60 min MICT. The turf was full, so I’ll go back this afternoon for farmer carries and prowler rounds. Gotta stay moving on my days off.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
260.4. Wtf.

Ended up doing a quick PM MICT session last night to get my steps in.

Today;

DB incline 90x9/3/1. Maybe misjudged this. lol
DB Y Raise 20x12/7/3
Cross body tricep extension 50x8/4/2
Dante rows 90x15/8/6
T bar rows 70x13
Loaded stretching

Lots of ISO holds, slow ass eccentric, and holds in the shortened and lengthened position. Left the ego at the door.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
260.4. Wtf.

Ended up doing a quick PM MICT session last night to get my steps in.

Today;

DB incline 90x9/3/1. Maybe misjudged this. lol
DB Y Raise 20x12/7/3
Cross body tricep extension 50x8/4/2
Dante rows 90x15/8/6
T bar rows 70x13
Loaded stretching

Lots of ISO holds, slow ass eccentric, and holds in the shortened and lengthened position. Left the ego at the door.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I figured out why I dropped weight so fast (and it’s stupid obvious); last bloods were 2 weeks ago, and e2 was 140(!). Reintroduced anastrozole at .5mg, 2x/week 9 days ago, have dropped 7 pounds in the last 6 days.

Water. It’s always water.

60 min MICT this morning. Day off, so I’ll go do another 2-2.5 miles this evening to keep my TDEE up and get my steps.

Be safe tonight, friends.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

I figured out why I dropped weight so fast (and it’s stupid obvious); last bloods were 2 weeks ago, and e2 was 140(!). Reintroduced anastrozole at .5mg, 2x/week 9 days ago, have dropped 7 pounds in the last 6 days.

Water. It’s always water.

60 min MICT this morning. Day off, so I’ll go do another 2-2.5 miles this evening to keep my TDEE up and get my steps.

Be safe tonight, friends.
That estro bloat is real. That fire yesterday was surreal man. Wtf it’s December?!?!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That estro bloat is real. That fire yesterday was surreal man. Wtf it’s December?!?!
Ya man, what is this **** all about? Absolutely no fuckin moisture is a bitch, but how’d it start?

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ya man, what is this **** all about? Absolutely no fuckin moisture is a bitch, but how’d it start?
Supposedly a tree/powerline. Some reporter let out a slip about it being Xcel’s fault. Who knows anything anymore man.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Supposedly a tree/powerline. Some reporter let out a slip about it being Xcel’s fault. Who knows anything anymore man.
I wish your last sentence were less true.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
260.2. Ate a TON yesterday, and it looks like the water is gone. Gonna try to stay 258-261 through the end of this DC meso.

Cable potty curls 100x12/6/3
Zottmann curls 25x14
Seated calf raises (3512 tempo) 135x3x10
Glute bridge 320x15/8/4
Adductor leg press 385x25
Loaded stretches, lots of tempo.

Solid day. Sat on the pec deck for 10 min at the end rethinking my life choices.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

35 min LISS treadmill

Conditioning-
5 rounds yoke carries
10 rounds farmer’s carries
5 rounds prowler

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Flat DB press 100x10/4/1
Cable side laterals w/iso hold 30x8/5/3
Cable OH tri extension 140x8/4/2
Single arm cable rows 80x12/6/4
Rack chins BWx15/7/4
Loaded stretches

Going to hit 45 min MICT after work.

Plan is to finish this DC meso (4 weeks left), deload for a week, then start the 4 day DC PPL program, which is 8 weeks. I’m going to run a moderate deficit, add some Anavar and Masteron, and see if I can get to the mid 240’s.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I love those compounds.
I’ve had excellent luck with Anavar, this’ll be my first run of masteron. Hoping to see some good things.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I’ve had excellent luck with Anavar, this’ll be my first run of masteron. Hoping to see some good things.
It will keep you drier and denser, less AI needed, promotes better libido, about as strong as testosterone per mg as far as pure protein expression and strength increases. I am definitely a fan - it complements most other compounds well.