Surgery supps

Bigfishy

Awards
I will be going in for surgery pretty soon in which they will screw around drilling bones and other unpleasant things. What are some good supps to speed recovery, slow muscle loss, inhibit fat gain, etc etc etc. So far Im looking into Cissus and BCAA's but unfortunaly there is very little postage about post-surgery. I also have another surgery coming up involving bone and ligament ripping up. Any suggestions on either would be appreciated.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
just be sure to tell the surgeon/anasthesiologist (sp?) what supps you're taking. Plan to lose some weight in the hospital, it's pretty much inevitable.

All you can do is eat as much as you can in recovery. It's better to gain 5 lbs of fat than lose 5 pounds of muscle.

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
HMB, BCAA, and Glutamine have all been shown to help with surgery patient recover. If you used BCAA, you probably wouldn't have to use HMB since some of leucine is metabolized into HMB (I believe 10-20%), assuming you use a high dose of BCAA.

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
just be sure to tell the surgeon/anasthesiologist (sp?) what supps you're taking. Plan to lose some weight in the hospital, it's pretty much inevitable.

All you can do is eat as much as you can in recovery. It's better to gain 5 lbs of fat than lose 5 pounds of muscle.
Good advice. Whenever I am sick I just eat and do not really worry about my diet (Eat healthy, but do not worry about limiting portions).

Loki

Supplement Jester
Awards
  • Established
BigFishy, talk to your doctor (or some legitimate trained medical professional) about hGH &/or LR3 IGF1. I don't recommend these for body composition, but this would be one of the instances (when you need healing/ligament repair) where I would counsel you to investigate and research these two drugs further and consult and MD about them. I have a friend of mine who went through a similar ordeal last year who ended up benefitting immensely from (and recovering much quicker with) hGH use (it was used personally, without medical supervision, but he made sure he knew what he was doing and didn't regret the choice at all).

Beyond that, the two primary supplements you would want to use would be creatine and BCAAs, but in this context, I would recommend something much stronger if you are really going to be bed-ridden for extented periods of time and have a lot of work done on yourself.

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
Good luck, and glutamine i used last yr when i had my foot operated on :)

Bigfishy

Awards
That is interesting about the HGH/IGF-1. I have never done alot of in-depth research about either as i am still a young buck, but I am very interested. Having a couple surgeries in a row (both on left leg and ankle) will not only have me out of the gym and off the field for a while, but probably off my feet as well. I also play collegate Rugby so anything that could help me maintain/recover quicker would be key. Unfortunaly I haven't the slightest idea where to go for info on HGH/IGF-1 (AM section is all body comp.) Where could i do some reading LOKI? P.S. I (heart) Avant Labs

ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday

Rugby kicks ass man....I love it....good luck with what ever you do but check out Cissus RX from SynergyMuscle, they are running a deal where you buy 3 you get 1 free, many are claiming it is healing many tendon and ligament injuries....check it out bro!

judge-mental

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
bump for the cissus as it has alot of info on bone revery
also
fish oil (after surgery)
alot of food
2 G of vitamin C for colagen formation

thats a start

Bigfishy

Awards
I am very interested in cissus but I do have a concern I hope someone here can answer. It seems that anti-cortisol supps such as 7-oh (LX) are not to be taken during the healing process after a surgery; cortisol plays some role in healing???? Either way It seems that cissus may have some anti-cortisol properties? If that is the case would it be unwise to take it directly after surgery???? Also how long after surgery do i have to wait in order to resume my fish oils?

AcuDoc

Board Supporter
Awards
I would add some zinc post op. It really helped my recovery at about 50mg/day. Numerous studies show its benefit for healing.

Be careful with magnesium post surgery because that taken along with some pain meds like vicodin can drop your BP so low that you pass out or go into convulsions.

It happened to me-my BP is pretty good to begin with and that combined with 500mg of Mag (vasodialator) and some vicodin put me into convulsions. I felt so stupid when, talking with the docs, I realized it was the combo that dropped my BP too low. BTW vicodin is used in alot of ERs to quickly drop a person's BP.