supplements for clarity of speech

bj22

Awards
I have interviews for Pharm D schools coming up and I want to stay calm and focused while having a strong grasp over what I want to say. Any recommendations for supplements that will provide some assistance?

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
Acetyl L- Carnitine, Tyrosine, Ginko, etc.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I have interviews for Pharm D schools coming up and I want to stay calm and focused while having a strong grasp over what I want to say. Any recommendations for supplements that will provide some assistance?
silbutiamine- you can literally remember every word that you say in a conversation (at least I can)- I don't like it long-term though- makes me real restless and agitated

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
silbutiamine- you can literally remember every word that you say in a conversation (at least I can)- I don't like it long-term though- makes me real restless and agitated
This is true.

I know that you DEFINITELY benefit from piracetam and choline if you find your dosing protocol. This is a superb comination and it's been tried and true, over & over and again.

PatMan

PatMan

Banned
Awards
This is true.

I know that you DEFINITELY benefit from piracetam and choline if you find your dosing protocol. This is a superb comination and it's been tried and true, over & over and again.
He knows what he is talking about!

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I 4th this.

Alpine

Alpine

Awards
  • Established
Propranolol is a beta blocker that will reduce your fight or flight response. In other words, it will reduce the nervousness effects of your CNS. Heart rate will decrease, your breathing rate will go down, you wont sweat as much, and dry mouth wont be as noticeable. It doesn't effect the mind negatively at all and only reduces the physical manifestations of "nervousness."

It has long been a secret of professional musicians and singers who need to control breathing and tone or fine motor movements. It is really very safe unless huge doses are consumed.

A new trend is that it is being prescribed to people with anxiety issues when they need to be their best for interviews, public speaking, etc. It has also shown promise for increasing test scores among students.

Thirty-two high school students who had already taken the SAT before enrolling in this study and who had stress-induced cognitive dysfunction on exams were given 40 mg of propranolol one hour before they retook those tests. Mean SAT scores with beta-blockade were 130 points higher than on the initial SAT done before entering the study without medication (p = less than .01). A single dose of propranolol immediately before the SAT permitted improved performance in students prone to cognitive dysfunction due to test anxiety.
The effect of beta blockade on stress-induced cogn...[Clin Pediatr (Phila). 1991] - PubMed Result
Stress Interferes With Problem Solving; Beta Blocker May Help
“The propranolol actually reversed the stress-induced cognitive problems and improved performance levels to within the range participants reached when they weren’t under any stress,” Beversdorf said. “So what we found is that the stress of public speaking triggers the brain’s normal response to stress, and that stress response is enough impair cognitive flexibility. In turn, 40 milligrams of propranolol is enough medication to reverse this effect in healthy people.”
(plenty more research on it in this area).

It is now also being used to treat Post Traumatic stress syndrome because of its unique effect of minimzing the effects of harsh, disturbing memories. Another reason it reduces anxiety and probably leads to higher test scores and performances. It is a very unique compound.

I have used 40-50mg prior to LSAT (popular among law/med students), final exams and intense public speaking engagements for school. It basically just reduces all physical manifestations of nervousness and helps you focus.

You could stack it with one of the nootropics mentioned above for a 2 hit combo (body/mind). However, I promise you this one actually works and will blow away and nootropic choice out there. Better living through chemistry. ;)

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I hate Propranolol chronically, but it might work acutely (used it myself back in 1993 for a college speech).

Be careful of flat affect.

Alpine

Alpine

Awards
  • Established
I hate Propranolol chronically, but it might work acutely (used it myself back in 1993 for a college speech).

Be careful of flat affect.
For his situation, the most damaging thing is physical manifestations of stress and nervousness in his speech and mannerisms. His cognition is probably not that much of an issue in a simple interview scnerio (even if recalling is required).

I really doubt 40mg will give anyone the "flat affect." If you're referring to the medically common term flat affect it is associated with a lack of facial expression due to being zonked out on a beta blocker. I cant imagine how much you would have to take for this to occur. If you were taking a recommended 150-250 a day for angina then yes, maybe. Otherwise, I don't think its a concern. You can't even feel 10-20mg. Even on 40mg you still feel nervous and your heart is probably still accelerated. You just don't get owned by it.

Sulbutiamine is basically only good for anti mental fatigue imo. It has shown memory improvement in rats. I'm not aware of any great studies on humans and cognitive function but then again, I never really researched it. For the purposes stated in this thread, I cant think of a better choice than Propranolol. ALCAR wont do anything noticeable and neither will Tyro. Ginko is a crock of sh1t. Piracetam..blah Get real people. None of this will help him in an interview. Most nootropics are horseshit anyway unless mega dosed and even then its pretty shaky. He's not sitting for the ****ing MCAT. Take some BSN NO Xplode 27min prior to intense interviews for maximum pump and remind them you're a bad ass bodybuilder.... lol

Nervousness is perceived as weakness (especially by females). When you're physically manifesting nervousness in an interview you seep weakness and insecurity from every oily pore. Youre dead in the water. STAY FROSTY you dipshit meatheads!! :D On btw, do you know how BAD you would have to crash and burn in a PharmD school interview for it to actually stop you from being admitted. If you have the stats they want and you arent a haunch backed mute, then you'll be fine. They are practically a traditional formality and rarely block anyone thats not already under qualified...****ing PharmD interviews... bettah eat yo wheaties...

Author's note: I wanted my 666th post to be special.

bigpoppapump2

bigpoppapump2

Awards
  • Established
Wow. I'm gonna be graduating from Purdue next year so will try it out with some job interviews....

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sulbutiamine is basically only good for anti mental fatigue imo. It has shown memory improvement in rats. I'm not aware of any great studies on humans and cognitive function but then again, I never really researched it. For the purposes stated in this thread, I cant think of a better choice than Propranolol. ALCAR wont do anything noticeable and neither will Tyro. Ginko is a crock of sh1t. Piracetam..blah Get real people. None of this will help him in an interview. Most nootropics are horseshit anyway unless mega dosed and even then its pretty shaky.
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree - with conditions.

Depending on the cause of the nerves (whether adrenaline/Nor-a related, or stemming from stumbles in recall - whish is what I have) multi-faceted Noots CAN help.

If I am facing a particularly demanding situation (such as running my booth at the Olympia, and talking/selling 1400 people in 3 days) then an acute dosage of 6-10 Clear Edge, Caffeine, Sulbutiamine, Geranamine, Coq10, and some ALCAR puts me into a zone that feeds on itself resulting in what we call "rare form". Everything flows in not only a clear manner, but in a manner which is almost scarily insightful.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

Depending on the cause of the nerves (whether adrenaline/Nor-a related, or stemming from stumbles in recall - whish is what I have) multi-faceted Noots CAN help.

If I am facing a particularly demanding situation (such as running my booth at the Olympia, and talking/selling 1400 people in 3 days) then an acute dosage of 6-10 Clear Edge, Caffeine, Sulbutiamine, Geranamine, Coq10, and some ALCAR puts me into a zone that feeds on itself resulting in what we call "rare form". Everything flows in not only a clear manner, but in a manner which is almost scarily insightful.
did the silbutiamine at the olympia and the arnold- really helped a lot- you literally talk to 1,000 plus people each day (or more)- def. a great tool for someone like me, who is naturally pretty reserved/quiet.....:thumbsup:

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
did the silbutiamine at the olympia and the arnold- really helped a lot- you literally talk to 1,000 plus people each day (or more)- def. a great tool for someone like me, who is naturally pretty reserved/quiet.....:thumbsup:
Believe it or not, my natural inclination is introverted. It has taken a LOT of years to get me over that blockage from what's in my brain to my vocal cords without turning into mumbly-mush.

The sulbutiamine helps IMMENSELY with that translation. The best ideas in the world won't do anything if you can't communicate them.

Alpine

Alpine

Awards
  • Established

No doubt that combination is proven. I just think Propranolol hits an angle that no nootropic can when it comes to stress/testing/interviews. And thus, is very valuable.

Btw, Dsade, I ran 2 bottles of Clear Edge over the course of 2 semesters of finals cramming for my 1L year. Each cramming period was 2-2.5 weeks long. It was not long after you debuted the product. I genuinely think it helped (along with the Monster energy low-carb) :D

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No doubt that combination is proven. I just think Propranolol hits an angle that no nootropic can when it comes to stress/testing/interviews. And thus, is very valuable.

Btw, Dsade, I ran 2 bottles of Clear Edge over the course of 2 semesters of finals cramming for my 1L year. Each cramming period was 2-2.5 weeks long. It was not long after you debuted the product. I genuinely think it helped (along with the Monster energy low-carb) :D
My wife slugs down 4 of those a day.

I'm reformulating (improving) and we should see a new version shortly. I'd love to get your feedback on it.

moklepaul

moklepaul

Awards
  • Established
I bought a case of the Clear Edge when it was liquidated. I take it when I play poker! :) Great stuff, and considering it was sold for pennies a pill realy, so so worth the money. A stronger version would be fantastic, I've always liked trying new focus and memory related supps.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't know why, but sulbutiamine doesn't do much for me...neither does geranium extract, even with sulbutiamine.. I think I need to take a long break from any type of stims :run:

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't know why, but sulbutiamine doesn't do much for me...neither does geranium extract, even with sulbutiamine.. I think I need to take a long break from any type of stims :run:
Reset AD?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I was on it for a while before but it spiked my progesterone too high. I think it's time for something like HC. I haven't given my adrenals much rest in years.

chaser103

Awards
Reset AD?
I don't know about you guys, but I get so nervous when I have to get up and make a speech or a presentation. Which supplement or herb would help combat this nervousness?

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
Apparently having low Dopamine levels can lead to cognitive dysfunction and speech problems. Maybe some L-dopa or Tyrosine will help some.

Alpine

Alpine

Awards
  • Established
I don't know about you guys, but I get so nervous when I have to get up and make a speech or a presentation. Which supplement or herb would help combat this nervousness?
Nothing can really prevent you from getting nervous. Some medications can reduce anxiety but that is about it. If something dulls you enough that it prevents nervousness, it is probably impairing your thought processes as well. Propanolol doesnt work like this. It doesnt dull the mind at all, and in fact, seems to free it from the binds of the stressor.

For your specific purpose, the best method is to reduce the physical manifestations of this nervousness (that others can detect) such as rapid speech, breathing, steadiness of voice, sweating, physical nervous ticks or fidgeting, etc. IMO there is one compound proven time and time again to reduce this AND also IMPROVE cognitive function and test scores. Propranolol.

Nootropics like the ones people have mentioned above come into play for long-term studying/cramming and the retention of this material. They also help with reducing mental fatigue (one of their most real benefits IMO) and increasing mental productivity during intense or taxing mental processes. Still, it appears that the physical response to stress is the number one stumbling block in cognitive performance. This is why propranolol can be so effective and many studies back this up.

chaser103

Awards
Nothing can really prevent you from getting nervous. Some medications can reduce anxiety but that is about it. If something dulls you enough that it prevents nervousness, it is probably impairing your thought processes as well. Propanolol doesnt work like this. It doesnt dull the mind at all, and in fact, seems to free it from the binds of the stressor.

For your specific purpose, the best method is to reduce the physical manifestations of this nervousness (that others can detect) such as rapid speech, breathing, steadiness of voice, sweating, physical nervous ticks or fidgeting, etc. IMO there is one compound proven time and time again to reduce this AND also IMPROVE cognitive function and test scores. Propranolol.

Nootropics like the ones people have mentioned above come into play for long-term studying/cramming and the retention of this material. They also help with reducing mental fatigue (one of their most real benefits IMO) and increasing mental productivity during intense or taxing mental processes. Still, it appears that the physical response to stress is the number one stumbling block in cognitive performance. This is why propranolol can be so effective and many studies back this up.
Hey Alpine,
Great response! I totally agree with you.

Brad2131

Awards
this was one of those threads where i was like are you serious...?

then i read all the way through it and was really surprised. Sometimes it just amazed me what effect some compounds do to your body.

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd opt for a good nootropic blend, but without any stims as you don't wanna be rushing your speech during your interview.

I think scivations product and clear edge have both been discontinued, but im sure theres still some good products around if you search nootropic at NP.

IMO if your at all nervous about it then something like phenibut might help you relax and be calm about the interview. Some ppl find phenibut too strong/sedating for them during the day though.

gettingully1

gettingully1

Awards
i just bought NP's Sulbutiamine caps dosed at 300mg per caps - how can i dose this? thanks

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
1-2 caps with some caffeine.

Mozilla/4.0 Sprint:MotoQ (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220)

gettingully1

gettingully1

Awards
thanks - what about Green Tea Extract? I just got that from NP too! can i take that with salbt? how would i dose those together?

monsterbox

monsterbox

Awards
  • Established

trust me on this...beta blocker. Go to a doctor and get one prescribed.

Doesn't mess with your head in any way whatsoever or change you mood...just blocks your adrenaline. No shakes = no nervousness = no butterflys = great speech. Used to depend on this stuff for scholarship auditions.

Think of how 3 cups of coffee would hype you up....well you take a beta blocker and it blocks the effects of the caffeine and you are normal again.

You'll thank me later.