Supplements and Inflation

Edmichint

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Some years ago I had a policy regarding my supplement intake. I allowed myself just 3 bodybuilding supplements: a jar of protein, Creapure Creatine Monohydrate, and one testosterone booster that would be rotated. I find myself returning to this model as Inflation continues to rise and it is necessary to budget. Creapure is the Silver Bullet.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Just remember, supplements are a "supplement to your nutrition, they don't replace it.

Real food wins over protein powder, plain old creatine monohydrate is your best bang for your buck (and most effective) muscle builder. Test boosters and all the fancy stuff is a bonus and no where near a necessity.

Food
Vitamin/mineral supplement
Creatine

If you have a couple extra bucks look into some additional vd3 and maybe some essential amino acids or protein powder.

If you really got money to burn them now you look at your test boosters and pre workout ect.

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established
Omega 3/fish oil will benefit you more than a test booster or amino acid supplement unless you are eating sardines or salmon regularly

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Just remember, supplements are a "supplement to your nutrition, they don't replace it.

Real food wins over protein powder, plain old creatine monohydrate is your best bang for your buck (and most effective) muscle builder. Test boosters and all the fancy stuff is a bonus and no where near a necessity.

Food
Vitamin/mineral supplement
Creatine

If you have a couple extra bucks look into some additional vd3 and maybe some essential amino acids or protein powder.

If you really got money to burn them now you look at your test boosters and pre workout ect.
I agree with this prioritization. For bang buck talk this is about spot on. Getting your base diet down will be the key and the other stuff is the cherry on top to give you the edge.

Edmichint

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Omega 3/fish oil will benefit you more than a test booster or amino acid supplement unless you are eating sardines or salmon regularly
Yes, I also take a fish oil and multivitamin, but I don't count them as bodybuilding supplements. I also believe protein powder is an absolute must. I count and measure my macros and it would be daunting to eat that much protein in the form of food.

ironkill

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Some years ago I had a policy regarding my supplement intake. I allowed myself just 3 bodybuilding supplements: a jar of protein, Creapure Creatine Monohydrate, and one testosterone booster that would be rotated. I find myself returning to this model as Inflation continues to rise and it is necessary to budget. Creapure is the Silver Bullet.
I find myself heading in that direction too. Everything has become so expensive

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Creatine HCL and betaine anhydrous is it for workout supplements. Been thinking of adding a pump pre back in like PES' High Volume though.

I consider my 1 scoop a day of whey to fall more under my food budget.

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I stepped into vitamin shoppe yesterday and almost fell over with the price of things. Of course the protein jumps out at $79 and such but everything has gone up.

tenorguy33

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I stepped into vitamin shoppe yesterday and almost fell over with the price of things. Of course the protein jumps out at $79 and such but everything has gone up.
If you keep an eye on their website and emails you can significantly lower the price of many products and even get some good deals. Many times they run BOGO50% and then have stackable 20% on top of it. You’re right though, definitely have to shop around and be smart about the timing of purchases though with the cost increases.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
There was someone here on AM that told everyone to stock up on creatine because prices would sky rocket due to supply chain issues. They weren't kidding...

Edmichint

Awards
  • First Up Vote
There was someone here on AM that told everyone to stock up on creatine because prices would sky rocket due to supply chain issues. They weren't kidding...
Yup. I just grabbed a lb of Creapure from my supplier who ran out a couple of weeks ago and just got it back in stock. I'm sure they will run out again.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You would think companies would be doing everything they could to hold the line when possible but then I read stuff like this and just shake my head:

NOW has been working on upgrading our plastic packaging to be Post-Consumer Recycled
(PCR) for over a year. We have completed a formal leaching study to make sure that no blended plastics
will leach into our products. This conversion will take us some time because the change is massive with
the number of skus we stock. We hope to be moving products into new PCR bottles and new PCR lids
starting 4Q2022, as well as newly recyclable labels. Each of these packaging components adds about
10% to our current cost, so this adds to our future finished product costs. We know that sustainability is
important to consumers and retailers, and this aligns with our 50+ year commitment to being stewards
of the earth.

In my 22 plus years in the industry I have NEVER had a single person even ask about how "green" the bottles were. 10% is insane to INTENTIONALLY add to your manufacturing costs. Now this was a couple weeks back so maybe with fuel costs they may pause this, IMO, non-sense.

CasperKValentine

CasperKValentine

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar

Food might be going up quicker then supplements brother!!! But you are right about the fancy stuff being a bonus. I've started cutting things out. I've also went back to making my own preworkouts.

N2ofusion

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You would think companies would be doing everything they could to hold the line when possible but then I read stuff like this and just shake my head:

NOW has been working on upgrading our plastic packaging to be Post-Consumer Recycled
(PCR) for over a year. We have completed a formal leaching study to make sure that no blended plastics
will leach into our products. This conversion will take us some time because the change is massive with
the number of skus we stock. We hope to be moving products into new PCR bottles and new PCR lids
starting 4Q2022, as well as newly recyclable labels. Each of these packaging components adds about
10% to our current cost, so this adds to our future finished product costs. We know that sustainability is
important to consumers and retailers, and this aligns with our 50+ year commitment to being stewards
of the earth.

In my 22 plus years in the industry I have NEVER had a single person even ask about how "green" the bottles were. 10% is insane to INTENTIONALLY add to your manufacturing costs. Now this was a couple weeks back so maybe with fuel costs they may pause this, IMO, non-sense.
Now is a pretty reputable brand. Even adding 10% I’m sure it will wash out by comparison as I expected competitors prices to rise as well.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

of the earth.

EACH of these components adds 10%---do bottles, lids and labels each represent a separate component?

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
EACH of these components adds 10%---do bottles, lids and labels each represent a separate component?
You are reading what I have. That is only a part of a larger email that goes over all the other reasons for a price increase so this packaging is in ADDITION to supply side issues and shipping costs going up.

The way it is worded leaves something to be desired. If this means a bottle that costs them $0.10 now will cost them $0.11 then that is not the end of the world and it makes more sense. If it means a product with a wholesale price of $20.00 will be $22.00 that is huge because as stated that is IN ADDITION to shipping/raws/supply costs going up.

Either way IMO and IME it's a solution, that costs more money at the worst time possible for most of us, in search of a solution.

thatsuppguy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Damn, protein shot up. 85 for most 4-5lbers now. I have some in reserve, but if I find a deal I am loading up big time

Edmichint

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Eating just clean bodybuilding foods, tracking macros/calories, food shopping at Costco and other like places will dramatically lower food bills. Watch the online supplement companies for deals on protein and creatine. Pass on the plant steroids and insect hormones. Drive DoorDash during spare time. P

MikeWay

Awards
All of this brought to mind a recent blog post I read. We consider plastic because it contaminates the ecosystem and lasts a very long period, putting wildlife in danger.
Moreover, less plastic waste is generated as a result of the durability and biodegradability of the filaments and plastics used for 3D printers. Also, firms and people just starting out can use additional recyclable materials in 3D printing.

Last edited: