Stronglifts or starting strength ???

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
I am just starting powerlifting. I am 205lbs 15-17 percent fat I'm trying to get to 198 class and at 10 percent fat. I was wondering which would be better to start with and how should I keep up ing the weight? Strong lifts has me up the weight five pounds every lifting day while straying strength is up ing the weights every week? Sl is 5x5 and as is 3x5 so which should I do??

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
Com e on help a newb out..... I really wanna get into this being big thing as i hate the skinny look

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Try one for a little while, then try the other. Its all what works for you. Thats pretty much the best advice I can give. Give it like 6-8 weeks then switch. And record you progress and figureout which one is "BEST" for you and your body type.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
I would recommend Starting Strength for nearly any beginner who wants to get bigger and stronger. I wish I had followed a program like this when I was starting out. I would have made more progress in my first year or two than I did in 10+ years.
I also wouldn't necessarily change your training program every 6-8 weeks either. Do SS and milk the linear progress for as long as you possibly can. If done correctly, you can reach a decent level of strength faster than most people.
I also wouldn't worry about trying to lift in a specific weight class right now. You're just beginning, so don't limit yourself my trying to stay in a low weight class. Eat enough to get stronger and don't be afraid to gain some weight. As long as you don't get massively fat in the weight gain process, gaining weight will help you get stronger at a quicker rate.

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
Hey thanks guys will try either one... give it three months on each and see which one works better... ya being 5'10' and 208lbs at 13-14%bf is pretty good genetics im thinking for strength condersidering im pretty strong on some lifts now

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Whatever you choose to go with, I would recommend you totally buy in and follow the program as written. Particularly if you are relatively new to lifting or if you don't have much experience with more "powerlifting" style training, don't start trying to modify everything right away.
Eventually you will be able to start making major modifications or making your own programs, but it usually takes several years of serious lifting experience to be successful doing this.
Good luck.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
If you're still making improvements on your lifts currently then don't stop. Usually one of the main factors I consider before starting a cut is my current gains..

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
The only thing with starting strength is you're bound to shoulder imbalance. You need bent over rows in any routine that involves bench presses. Power cleans do not balance out muscles used in the bench presses. You need to work the antagonists to every motion.

If you would add in bent over rows after deadlifts in workout 1, then you'd be much better off. Stronglifts involves 5x5 which may affect the linear progression that beginners need.

I would do starting strength, but do it like this.

Workout A
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
BO Row 3x5

Workout 2
Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
Clean 5x3
Pullups 3x5

MongoSS

MongoSS

Awards
I would check out westside for skinny bastards, which is westside that utilizes more hypertrophy work to increase muscle mass. I beleive Joe defranco came up with it.

Sweekaters

Awards
If you are trying to drop weight and not gain it, I wouldn't really recommend either as you won't be able to make linear progression for very long on a calorie deficit.

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
I started stronglifts and I am not calorie defecit right Now it's bulking time so I'll do it exactly as planned and see if I can get at least to a 300 bench