Stiff in the early morning immediately upon awakening

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Back stiff, shoulders stiff. Cannot just jump out of bed as usual. Been like this the past few months.
Goes away by the time I get downstairs and after drinking a cup of coffee.

Typical due to age? Typical due to heavy evening workouts?

Have a first rate mattress in terms of providing support while sleeping.

bobi593

bobi593

Awards
  • Established
Back stiff, shoulders stiff. Cannot just jump out of bed as usual. Been like this the past few months.
Goes away by the time I get downstairs and after drinking a cup of coffee.

Typical due to age? Typical due to heavy evening workouts?

Have a first rate mattress in terms of providing support while sleeping.
I had this same problems stretching was my answer....

gaz7456

gaz7456

Awards
If you train in an evening, go home, eat and then bed or something similar, there's a good chance those muscles will tighten overnight and cause stiffness.

I feel like an old man for the first few minutes after getting up, then start to feel fine as the joints start to lubricate and remember what they were meant for.

A good stretch before bed for 15 minutes helps when i can be bothered and stretching in the morning too. Either way, keeping the body supple is so important, and even more so if you train hard and often.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just getting old!

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Creaking and stiffening is age creeping up on you. Lol

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well do not wish to sound vulgar but thought maybe since I do not use PJs and only a thin sheet maybe my body is not warmed while I sleep compared to clothing and a bedsheet cover.

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
I believe 5-10 min basic yoga stretches in the AM will let you train years longer than otherwise. It's really helped me...

LMuscle

LMuscle

Awards
Could easily be lower estradiol levels. When my e2 levels are low, I'm stiff in the morning, hurts to walk etc. When E2 is normal or elevated, I have no joint popping or cracking, no pain. Just jump out of bed and do whatever.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well, I would certainly say that heavy evening workouts are in play more than age. I know when I work in a heavy evening sessions I have a difficult time waking and just feel "stretchy", very similar to a heavy back workout any time of the day prior. Stretching will help, but if questioning the workout timing, then your back to troubleshooting 101.

Blesum

Blesum

Maestro
Awards
I recently encountered this problem as well when I went back on Armidex after being forced onto tamoxifen due to insurance coverage changes. I did a bunch of research and am fairly confident that for some reason going back onto Armidex after being on it for 10+ years then getting off for 1.5 years did it. Granted I did not have my E2 levels but according to broscience and various forums, it was what it was. I cut my Armidex intake in half and started feeling better/less stiff/less pain.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This week family visiting from out of town so no evening workouts. Back to usual early morning immediate alacrity

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So, good time to evaluate if the workout timing is in play.