SSRI or NDRI antidepressant while on cycle?

spirall08

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Both the DR and pharmacist told me that the SSRI/NDRI antidepressant (wellbutrin) can actually reduce the effects of Nolvadex (which I've been prescribed to combat gyno).

Do ya'lll think the same antidepressant could also reduce/inhibit the effects of the rest of my planned cycle (test/npp/dzine)? Anyone take an antidepressant while on cycle before?

Thanks.

CubsFan312

CubsFan312

Awards
I've done cycles on antidepressants and it's no problem. Hormones don't interfere with SSRIs or Welbutrin at all. In fact, DHT is a neurosteroid that has positive benefits on mood.

Metabolites of DHT have been found to act as neurosteroids with their own AR-independent biological activity.[18] 3α-Androstanediol is a potent positive allosteric modulator of the GABAA receptor, while 3β-androstanediol is a potent and selective agonist of the estrogen receptor (ER) subtype ERβ.[18] These metabolites may play important roles in the central effects of DHT and by extension testosterone, including their antidepressant, anxiolytic, rewarding/hedonic, anti-stress, and pro-cognitive effects.

G34RS

G34RS

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Those studies are kind of conflicting, and a lot of it focuses on cancer survival rates. You may be fine for the purposes you’re using it for. There are alternative SERMs and antidepressants, so if you run into issues you can switch it up.

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
I think @Punkrocker is/was using Wellbutrin while on cycle, with the 'blessing' from his doc.

CubsFan312

CubsFan312

Awards
Since AAS don't interact with neurotransmitters the way other drugs do, there's really not going to be an overlap. Testosterone or any of the other drugs mentioned don't interact with the serotonin, dopamine, epinephrine, norephedrine, etc neurotransmitter receptor sites in the brain.

But, if he you want to ask your doctor, by all means, feel free. I'm sure he will probably refer you to a rehab facility.

spirall08

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks all. Appreciate the feedback. Good to know the meds shouldn't interfere w the test/dzine. Just curious though, why would the meds reduce the efficasy of the Nolva?

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Thanks all. Appreciate the feedback. Good to know the meds shouldn't interfere w the test/dzine. Just curious though, why would the meds reduce the efficasy of the Nolva?
I was actually hoping that you could tell us that, since you've had people telling you so, lol.

spirall08

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was actually hoping that you could tell us that, since you've had people telling you so, lol.
Yea I can try to ask the Doc/pharmacist. If I hear anything I will let you all know. Otherwise if anyone knows the reason hopefully they can fill me in.

CubsFan312

CubsFan312

Awards
Yea I can try to ask the Doc/pharmacist. If I hear anything I will let you all know. Otherwise if anyone knows the reason hopefully they can fill me in.
Might have something to do with the enzymes in your liver being taken up and used by the SSRIs. Your body has all these enzymes in the liver called CYP enzymes that colloquially known as Cytochrome P450 and they do all sorts of jobs of breaking down drugs, converting them via enzyme pathways to different drugs, and a whole host of things. The SSRIs/Wellbutrin could be taking up one of the enzymes used by SERMs to prevent them from acting effectively as they should.

That would be my guess.

spirall08

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Might have something to do with the enzymes in your liver being taken up and used by the SSRIs. Your body has all these enzymes in the liver called CYP enzymes that colloquially known as Cytochrome P450 and they do all sorts of jobs of breaking down drugs, converting them via enzyme pathways to different drugs, and a whole host of things. The SSRIs/Wellbutrin could be taking up one of the enzymes used by SERMs to prevent them from acting effectively as they should. That would be my guess.
CubsFan312 seems like you nailed it.

Message from Dr:
"Evidence suggests that antidepressants inhibit the metabolism of tamoxifen to its more active metabolites by the ctychrome P450 2D6 (CYP2D6) enzyme, thereby decreasing the anticancer effect."

She said since I'm using tamoxifen for gyno (and not cancer) then its OK (I still feel like if it reduces the effects of the nolva then my gyno can theoretically flare up again. I guess we'll see).