Squat Warm ups?

SemiBulimic

SemiBulimic

Awards
  • Established
I get a severe burning pain in my hips when i squat. I squat with feet 1.5x shoulder-width apart, but it still hurts with a more narrow footing.

What i want to know is how you guys warm up your hips before squatting - be it light or heavy?

For what it's worth i train raw.

SemiBulimic

SemiBulimic

Awards
  • Established
Cheers Nick, loving your bench work by the way.

Out of interest do you train the squat much? I mean if the theory that squatting helps build the other lifts indirectly is true you must have a huge raw squat!

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
Cheers Nick, loving your bench work by the way.

Out of interest do you train the squat much? I mean if the theory that squatting helps build the other lifts indirectly is true you must have a huge raw squat!
I just started back actually, with the bicep/shoulder/pec injury I had earlier it made it very painful to put my arm around the bar. I have been doing the 20 rep squat program lately(to a box) and have gone up to 515 for 20. No idea what I would max out at, but I do feel it helps build the entire body.

SemiBulimic

SemiBulimic

Awards
  • Established
I just started back actually, with the bicep/shoulder/pec injury I had earlier it made it very painful to put my arm around the bar. I have been doing the 20 rep squat program lately(to a box) and have gone up to 515 for 20. No idea what I would max out at, but I do feel it helps build the entire body.
I'd like 515 to a box for 1 to tell you the truth - that's unreal. Any plans to compete in a full meet? surely you could give the likes of Siders or Glen Ross a run or their money in a raw meet?

fritzer

fritzer

Awards
  • Established
i do raw too, no boxes or anything, and i would definitly follow Nicks advice he knows what he is doing! but i have badish joints and like to really get warmed up by doing squats and leg curls

my squat warm up for squatting something like 455 in sets:
own body weight x 12
135 x 12
185 x 8
225 x 5
275 x 3
315 x 3
365 x 1
405 x 1

... then sets

when i powerlift style for something like 600:

135 x 12
225 x 6
315 x 3
365 x 1
405 x 1
455 x 4
500 x 3
550 x 2

... sets

also do some leg curl really light to get the knees warmed up

try alternating your footing a little, also make sure your right and left feet are equal distance from your midline. i had this problem left was always a couple inches out more and it made my squats really hard over time

finally, you should be sitting into a chair with weight distribution on your heels mostly but dont lift your toes or anything. put bar low on your back if you can (not too low), get out of the rack with knees bent... you probably know all this already but for others who maybe reading

:)

NickW

NickW

DO WORK!
Awards
  • Established
I'd like 515 to a box for 1 to tell you the truth - that's unreal. Any plans to compete in a full meet? surely you could give the likes of Siders or Glen Ross a run or their money in a raw meet?
I do plan on doing a full power meet (raw, of course) next april in TX, at the Ronnie Coleman Classic! Hoping to get 800 on squat and dead, 675ish on bench would be great too:). :dl: