Sprinting

Invulnerabledr

Invulnerabledr

Awards
So I’ve been bodybuilding for years but I want to go a different direction in fitness. I want to start doing ring work, calisthenics and train for more athleticism but I still wanna stay muscular of course. I’m tired of going to gyms and I sold most of my home equipment. The things I kept are my weight belt and about 150lbs of weight in plates. So I plan to do weighted dips and push-ups and pull-ups still. But mostly want to get strong on the rings. Sometimes goals change. I also want to do this for simple health reasons.

But my main question is. What if I decided to trade leg exercises with hill sprints? I’m sure I would lose mass on my legs but wouldn’t I still maintain some muscularity to them? Even if I kept adding intensity (for example going up steeper hills?) I live in a very mountainous area. Tons of steep hills. Thought of also maybe buying one of those sleds and putting weight on it and pulling it up hill.

Invulnerabledr

Invulnerabledr

Awards
Sorry not sure why the thread posted twice.

Hypnotic traveling

Hypnotic traveling

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I think you could probably hold onto muscle mass, but over time I would imagine without progressive overload you’ll slowly lose it. I like the sled idea, as you can load it and progress. Farmers walks are something else that are kind of in alignment here since you have plates, if you could get the plate loaded farmers bars.

PhantomReaper

PhantomReaper

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
The Sled....
A very unacceptable device..just push..
Plus..it hits the heart pretty hard to..
I used to train and occasionally fight, sprints were a huge part of the training..
Z...

Invulnerabledr

Invulnerabledr

Awards
I think you could probably hold onto muscle mass, but over time I would imagine without progressive overload you’ll slowly lose it. I like the sled idea, as you can load it and progress. Farmers walks are something else that are kind of in alignment here since you have plates, if you could get the plate loaded farmers bars.
Hey man thanks for the reply.
I’m pretty sure I’d lose some muscle mass over time but if I’m sprinting frequently and challenging myself by going up steep hills I can’t see me losing absolutely all of it. I don’t mind losing some mass I just want to maintain some musculature and start training with the rings so a little lower body loss might be benefitical

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
For upper body I can't recommend one arm push-ups with a weifhted pack enough. Triceps actually grew from adding these. For lower body sprinting, pistol, Bulgarian, and sissy squats can all be down with dumbbells.

Invulnerabledr

Invulnerabledr

Awards
For upper body I can't recommend one arm push-ups with a weifhted pack enough. Triceps actually grew from adding these. For lower body sprinting, pistol, Bulgarian, and sissy squats can all be down with dumbbells.
I don’t have dumbells but I have farmer handle straps So I can put the plates on them and do those! Thanks!

EpiStrong

EpiStrong

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I Literally just incorporated sprinting. Still learning where the distance is where it becomes more cardio but so far I like sprinting roughly 60 yds then light jog or walk back and repeat.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You will definitely lose something and you probably won't remain as balanced if you only sprint (even if you add in sleds).

Just depends on your goals though. "Sprinting" is a pretty broad term, but if you have varied goals and vary the running distance and duration, add some sleds, and some supplemental leg exercises to your ring oriented program I don't think you'll be too disappointed as long as expectations are reasonable.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Currently I'm doing 2 longer jogs, hill sprints, tire flips, farmers walks, walking lunges, squats and deadlifts and lots of jumping rope.. Not all on the same days of course but 2 or 3 of them 2 or 3 times a week. While I'm getting significantly more athletic and better at the things I'm doing, my leg mass is definitely not improving, I'd say you can temporarily maintain but eventually it's gonna go backwards.

Invulnerabledr

Invulnerabledr

Awards
Currently I'm doing 2 longer jogs, hill sprints, tire flips, farmers walks, walking lunges, squats and deadlifts and lots of jumping rope.. Not all on the same days of course but 2 or 3 of them 2 or 3 times a week. While I'm getting significantly more athletic and better at the things I'm doing, my leg mass is definitely not improving, I'd say you can temporarily maintain but eventually it's gonna go backwards.
I have these farmer walk straps I can put plates on (I’m sure you’ve seen them before) and do lunges up hill. I got about 150lbs total in plates so I can always buy more if needed. I’ll throw the lunges in with the sprints.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Iain Valliere recently retired as an IFBB pro and his new mission is sprinting. Hes going all in, getting professionally trained and everything. I have no desire whatsoever in sprinting but the youtube videos he has just started putting up documenting his journey are interesting as fuk.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Iain Valliere recently retired as an IFBB pro and his new mission is sprinting. Hes going all in, getting professionally trained and everything. I have no desire whatsoever in sprinting but the youtube videos he has just started putting up documenting his journey are interesting as fuk.
I watched a little and that was pretty interesting. I didn't watch a ton so I probably missed the why, seems a weird direction to go, but fun for what it was worth.