Sporto's Contest Prep

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
What a year! I can honestly say that 2009 was a great year all around and I am very excited to see what the new year will bring! This last year was full of life changes, and I don't see this year being any different. After a successful tax season last year, I picked up golfing as a new hobby and have officially become addicted to the game. I think I honestly love the game as much as it frustrates me! I also had a very successful year prepping clients for both on and offseason work and have felt very fortunate to have made so many great new friends in this industry. I can't begin to tell you the amount of fulfillment it brings to help other people reach their goals the way someone helped me achieve mine. Also, for those who don't know, I am now married to the love of my life - Kera - who not only happens to be my companion in life, but is also my best friend. We were married in early October and followed it up by taking a week long honeymoon in Bora Bora, Tahiti. We stayed in a really nice overwater bungalow, and in fact, the movie <em>The Couples Retreat</em> was filmed directly across the lagoon from where we were staying. To bring the old year to a close, I was able to spend the holidays with family and friends that I don't normally get to see but maybe once a year and have good quality time with them.

So now as the old year closes, a new one opens! I am currently back in my hometown and prepping the office for the upcoming tax season. In addition, I am still finding time to get my workouts in, as well as handling contest preparation for several clients that will be competing in spring shows. I have started up this new blog to post my workouts, diets, supplementation, philosophies, etc. in addition to the sites that I already post on frequently. I will have a new website up soon, which Bob Kupniewski has generously helped me with in setting up in his spare time, and hope to have that up and running very shortly.

As for competing, I have plans to step on stage in my pro debut this fall. I haven't quite nailed down the exact shows I will be doing (much of that decision depends on what all is going on in my life at the time), but one thing is for sure - I will be setting my sights on Layne Norton in Florida come November! If everything works out, Layne and I will be competing against each other in the NGA Universe down in Florida late next year, so for those of you who follow either of us, be sure to check that out as the time comes!

With that being said, I look forward to a brand new year!

Sporto

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Tommy - you're looking great bro, and strong like bull! (as always)..
looking forward to your debut this yr, and you and Layne in the same show would be awesome to see.

everything's looking good. just one thing - golf..really?? :blink:

ahaa, to each their own I guess. :D

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
Chest & Back

I can't even express in words how great it feels to be back into a normal routine, hitting macros, and crushing the gym! Don't get me wrong, I loved spending time with my family over the holiday season, but the worst part about taking time off like that is getting back into the roiutines. It was well worth the time off, both physically and mentally, but that simply marks the countdown to the STAGE! I'm going to do be doing my normal 3 day on, 1 day off rotation alternating heavier days with lighter days without a progression for starters and go from there.

BB Rack Deadlifts

I started off with this exercise and took my working up to my working sets. One of my Christmas gifts this year was a nice, thick Cardillo Belt. Once I start getting up to the heavier weights where my core is the limiting factore instead of the muscle group I am primarily working, I will start using a belt to lift more weight. I am surprised I didn't lose a lot of strength over my hiatus. I was able to bust out top sets of:

675 for 8 reps, 725 for 5 reps, 765 for 3 reps

I was amazed I can even pull 8 plates each side off the rack...that's the first time I've ever been able to do that! I mean, it's no Layne Norton world record raw deadlift off the floor, but it's a start! ;)

BB Incline Press

My chest is one of those body parts that seems to suffer the most strength loss after time off from the gym. Although the strength loss in this case was very minor, it still doesn't surprise me that chest was one of them. Form felt good, and had a really good spotter that slightly helped about half way through on the last rep of the last two sets to keep the bar moving...which most of you know that a really good spotter can make a big difference in the set! I was able to perform top sets of:

320 for 5 reps, 5 reps (spotter help on rep 5), 4 reps (spotter help on rep 4)

I thought about staying at 315 and going for sets of 6ish, but decided to go a litle heavier instead. It wasn't a bed few sets and I will take them for now and build off of them.

Rack Chins

I must say...after the rack deadlifts, my back was pretty spent! For these, I brought the seat in a little closer and set up more upright to do more of a pulldown movement. I was able to still lift pretty heavy and get what I need done in spite of the previous rack deads sets. My top sets were:

BW+150 for 6 reps, BW+200 for 5 reps, 5 reps

I will be working this exercise in on a regular basis due to the fact I can perform a heavy back exercise without incororating my lower back. The more I can keep it fresh and recovered, the more I can continue to do all the heavy compound lifting that I do.

DB Incline Flys

As you've noticed, I dropped back down to 315 for my second set here. I have done 325 with really strong reps before, but today I just wasn't feeling it. I think the heavier rack chins today took a little more out of me than usual, so I had to bump it down to 315 for set 2. The first set was to "trappy" with the pulls off the floor. With 315 though, the reps were solid and it right where I wanted them to.

DB Incline Flys: 105s for 9 reps, 8 reps

The only potential problem that I see here is that the gym I am now lifting at for the remainer of tax season only has DBs that go up to 100lbs. That really sucks, but there is nothing that I can do since EVERY gym in this town is the exact same way. There have been several people along the way in my journals advising different ways to get around that, and i am now looking into those options as we speak. But for now, it's just the 100s and my sets were:

100s for 12 reps, 10 reps, 10 reps

I went a little slower and really focused on maximum contraction throughout the range of motion. My chest was tore up by the end of the sets and that was a great way to finish the workout. I walked out feeing both mentally and physically euphoric!

Diet has been in check since Monday of this week. By "in check" I mean that I have been counting out macros, hitting numbers, balancing out meals, timing carbohydrates, etc. I have been getting a lot of emails and questions about my daily diet and supplement regimen as of right now, so I will outline a typical day's worth.

Meal 1: 4 scoops of Scivation Solution 5 & 3 slices of Sun Maid Cinnamon Raisin Bread - 17.5g fat, 70g carbs, 51g of protein

Meal 2: 2 turkey (Boar's Head Blazing Buffalo) & cheese (Sargento reduced fat) sandwiches (Sara Lee wheat bread) - 16g fat, 70g carbs, 55.5g protein

Meal 3: 6oz of grilled chicken breast strips (Tyson), 3 oz. of spaghetti pasta (Generic), 2 servings of shredded cheese (Sargento reduced fat) - 19.5g, 69g carbs, 62.5g protein

(Pre-Workout) Meal 4: 2 packets of oatmeal (Quaker Instant - flavor varies), 2 scoops of whey - 6g fat, 56g carbs, 50g protein

(Post-Workout) Meal 5: 2 packets of oatmeal (Quaker Instant - flavor varies), 2 scoops of whey - 6g fat, 56g carbs, 50g protein

Daily Totals (on average): 65g fat, 320g carbs, 270g protein

I hope that gives a better idea of how I do things concerning my diet. I am a simple person and always opt for the simplest approach. I am completely fine with eating the same foods for simplicity sake. I mix them up of course, and I don't always eat waht is above, but I typically eat 5 meals a day and split up my macros in that fashion. Sometimes I will leave out the cheese and take some EFAs, Sesamin, or Max CLA. If it looks like I will be longer than 2-2.5 hours between a meal, I will down 2 scoops of xtend. I'm always adapting my diet every day to coincide with whatever life throws at me. I think that's really the important part. Once you have the understanding and awareness of the basics down, it becomes much easier to nail nutrition no matter how hectic life gets.

Sporto

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
Tommy - you're looking great bro, and strong like bull! (as always)..
looking forward to your debut this yr, and you and Layne in the same show would be awesome to see.

everything's looking good. just one thing - golf..really?? :blink:

ahaa, to each their own I guess. :D
Thanks dude!

Yes...really...golf...LOL

But, in all fairness I used to make fun of golf all the time...until I tried it! Now I can't stop playing! It's actually a lot funner that it looks!

Sporto

Quinc

Quinc

Awards
  • Established
uh, some of us are using this thread as motivation, so if you can stop being selfish and update it; that would be great. :)

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the tips!
Anytime!

uh, some of us are using this thread as motivation, so if you can stop being selfish and update it; that would be great. :)
Sorry about that :) Tax season is starting to slow down now, so I will have more time online now. When we get hit hard, I only have enough time online to handle clients and that's about it.

Other than that, my training and diet (as it does every year around this time) get really erratic. Progress slows to a halt, strength comes down a little, and the composition of my physique suffers a little. There's not too much to report during this rough couple of months other than that lol.

Hopefully this week I can settle back into a normal routine with diet/training/supplementation and be back to setting new personal bests!

I appreciate you following along!

Sporto

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
Quick update:

Tax season is beginning to slow back down from the initial rush...so I now have more time in between little lulls at the office to get online and poke around. My schedule is back on pace as of this week with respect to training, so that is a plus. I also have been hitting some dieting numbers the last few days for once, so when my bodyweight stabilizes, I will start reporting where it is at and what numbers I am hitting.

I'm getting really anxious to start officially "prepping" for my next show. I'm already excited to get back into a normal diet/training routine too. I'm going to get back into taking my full supplement arsenal this week as well...so a lot of changes this week. Hopefully by next week I will be starting back up my journals on a regular basis with some thorough details.

A few side notes:

* I was able to finally rack deadlift 8 plates on each side for a few reps. I mean, it's no Layne Norton natural raw deadlift record (you know I love ya Layne!) but hell, I was surprised I could even pull that weight off the rack!

* My IT-bands feel MUCH better. I haven't had massages since tax season started, but I have been doing a lot of stretching and taking care of them on my own, as well as adjusting form on a few exercises, and they are back to pain free. I have a felling I know what the culprit was, but I am just glad it's fixed.

* I am still able to deep squat 5 plates on each side for 5 reps, as well as perform my SLDL/RDL hybrid with 5 plates on each side for 5 reps. So leg strength is still doing well in spite of a chaotic schedule and poor nutrition.

* Arm strength is still really good...the most noticeable loss of strength is in my chest, back and shoulders...I'm not quite pressing and pulling the weight I was before tax season. So hopefully that will come back fast now that I am back in my routine.

* I am going to be doing some light cardio and other accessory work so that my acivity level goes up, and ultimately my calorie level.

Other than that, it's back to the grindstone and just looking forward to the Arnold here in a couple of weeks!

Sporto

pctforeal

Awards
  • Established
Just curious, but why is your prep in the usp supplement section? Are you a rep or using their supps?

I want answers Mr :)

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
Actually, that's a very good point, and I guess I had been posting it in here out of habit lol. I was sponsored a couple of years ago, but no longer. I do still use their product line though (just about everything they put out)...in fact, I need to make a bulk order here very soon for when my prep starts for my pro debut.

I can move the journal elsewhere...no worries :) I'm sure Jacob would rather only have sponsored athletes in his section anyway!

Sporto

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
nah..easier for me to keep an eye on you right here in this forum Tommy! ;)

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
A quick update!

1) I'm changing up my style of training for now - I'm still incorporating the basic principles, but I am changing the layout and adding a few things to the mix. I can already tell this is going to work well because the last 2 workouts I had, the muscle groups I used are EXTREMELY sore and tender to touch.

2) I will be at the Arnold all day Saturday - I wish I could be there earlier, but unfortunately our schedule just won't allow us to get there any earlier. But I still look forward to meeting up with everyone!

3) I'm making a huge bulk order of USP Labs products to start my prep off with a BANG...so I am getting really excited for the time to come to start prep!

4) Oh...and I am officially going to be a DADDY! I've been so excited and filled with joy lately that I've hardly slept! This news just made me the happiest I've ever been in my life (aside from the day I married Kera of course).

Sporto

spiderduncan

spiderduncan

Awards
  • Established
A quick update!

1) I'm changing up my style of training for now - I'm still incorporating the basic principles, but I am changing the layout and adding a few things to the mix. I can already tell this is going to work well because the last 2 workouts I had, the muscle groups I used are EXTREMELY sore and tender to touch.

2) I will be at the Arnold all day Saturday - I wish I could be there earlier, but unfortunately our schedule just won't allow us to get there any earlier. But I still look forward to meeting up with everyone!

3) I'm making a huge bulk order of USP Labs products to start my prep off with a BANG...so I am getting really excited for the time to come to start prep!

4) Oh...and I am officially going to be a DADDY! I've been so excited and filled with joy lately that I've hardly slept! This news just made me the happiest I've ever been in my life (aside from the day I married Kera of course).

Sporto
1. I am looking forward to more updates. Will transfer your notes to this thread?

3. Big order, eh? I would be curious, as that you are already a large lad!

4. Congratulations!!! Being a dad is a wonderful experience. Will you find out the gender before birth?

Also, I wanted to echo what others have said that your log is inspirational and informative. I have become more patient with my progress (weight increases/strength progressions) because of your continued reminder that progress over time yields the greatest dividends! ...your phrase, "another one is in the books" reminds me that sound nutrition combined with consistent workouts produce results over time.

Thanks!!!

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
1. I am looking forward to more updates. Will transfer your notes to this thread?

3. Big order, eh? I would be curious, as that you are already a large lad!

4. Congratulations!!! Being a dad is a wonderful experience. Will you find out the gender before birth?

Also, I wanted to echo what others have said that your log is inspirational and informative. I have become more patient with my progress (weight increases/strength progressions) because of your continued reminder that progress over time yields the greatest dividends! ...your phrase, "another one is in the books" reminds me that sound nutrition combined with consistent workouts produce results over time.

Thanks!!!
Wow - I really appreciate the kind words...it means a lot!

I will update this log the best I can during my prep. I have a lot of things coming up in the near future so my time is limited online, but Once prep starts, I will be all out to bring the best I can!

Sporto

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
Another quick update!

First off, it was GREAT to see everyone out at the Arnold this year for those of you who made it! I always love going to those events and being able to chat with like-minded people about the sport and hang out with some cool *ss people (except Layne because he's a dork!). So for thoise that came by the booth and hung out, it was great seeing you!

Second, some of you know and some of you don't, but I had a minor surgery that took place immediately after the Arnold that has had me in recovery the last few days. It was nothing major, and everything went great! I won't bother with the details (*hint* I wear a lot of LiveStrong apparel now), but let's just say that I am ready to get back into lifting 100% now! Since Saturday was my first day off the pain medications (I still have over half a bottle left, but I haven't needed them), I was able to go to the gym on Sunday and do a light leg workout. Man, I miss it! Doc said I should be back to lifting my upper body in about 3-4 more days, and be full go in about 3-4 more weeks or so.

So, that puts me at being back in full force before tax season ends and literally CRUSHING IT until the final stage appearance in Florida WITH (not against) Big Layne - who is making his pro debut this year after 4 years. I have been extremely excited about this return to the stage to see what I have been able to do in the last few years. I will be implementing an all-new diet, training, AND supplementation strategy for this year that I will reveal little by little as the contest season unfolds. This entire journey of mine has been mapped out to the very last detail - now it is only a matter of putting my head down and OUTWORKING Layne :D Just kidding - you all know no one can outwork him! One thing is for sure though, we are both going to bring a physique neither one of us has seen yet...that's for sure!

Also, due to the EXTREME GENEROSITY of Jacob, I have a USP Labs supplement aresenal to literally carry me throughout my journey this year. I have enough set aside to utilize the infamous "CEO STACK" that was implemented by Doug Miller last year - and we all know how that turned out! So once mid-May starts, I will be tranisitioning into a very detailed and rigorous journey for 20-25 weeks incorporating 4 shows in a 5 week period. This will define the work I have put in for over 2.5 years now and it's time to step back on stage with the big boys and hold my own! I have never been more excited to prep in my entire life...

Sporto

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
Back Day

I was really looking forward to tonight's workout. Not only am I back on my supplements (had to cease taking most of them prior to surgery) and nutrition (was all over the place because of surgery), but I was alos feeling good enough to try and lift intense and use some heavier weight. Tonight I started off with bent over rows (Yates style), hammer strength pulldowns, hammer strength close grip rows supersetted with dumbbell shrugs, rack deads and bodyweight pull-ups. Strength was better than I thought it was...not 100%, but surprising not bad at all. The bodyweight pull-ups at the end were a joke lol...I felt like such a weenie. Nutrition was around 3000 cals at around a 40/20/20 ratio. Felt good....took 5 meals and nailed it. No cardio...won't be doing any til about mid-May. Still very excited...this year will be a lot of fun!

Sporto

triplewhammy

Awards
We'll be watching buddy...you're definitely a fan favorite so keep crushin' it! The break after surgery will end up being more beneficial in the long run!

-triple

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
Chest Day

Yesterday was my first lifting day with my upper body area since my surgery. Everything actually went better than expected, and I was able to do all the exercises I wanted to (with much lighter weight of course). I used my Sporto method for each exercise and just cut the weight in half and doubled the reps...what a burn! It was kind of nice getting back to really good form and using a slower tempo. I could really feel the stretch and contraction with each rep. I started off with some hammer strength presses, smith machine incline presses, machine flys, hammer strength incline presses, some seated and standing calf work (sporto method combined with sporto tempo flat out KILLS), and some weighted ab work.

By the way - I am ANXIOUSLY awaiting prep to start so I can start up my USP Stack. I will be juicing PRIME, Powerfull, AP/PSlin to the GILLS...

CEO STACK HERE I COME!

Sporto

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
We'll be watching buddy...you're definitely a fan favorite so keep crushin' it! The break after surgery will end up being more beneficial in the long run!

-triple
Thanks! I'm already in my "zone" so to speak and just counting down the days for the deficit to officially begin. I've got a much more intense focus this year to bring something to the stage that will just WOW myself :D

That, and to place ahead of Layne lol!

Sporto

triplewhammy

Awards
Thanks! I'm already in my "zone" so to speak and just counting down the days for the deficit to officially begin. I've got a much more intense focus this year to bring something to the stage that will just WOW myself :D

That, and to place ahead of Layne lol!

Sporto
Thatta boy! I saw you win your pro card in Dekalb, wish I could see you and Layne toe to toe but that's alright, I'll catch the pics online for sure...

P.S. I can tell you from experience, you will enjoy the CEO stack :D :D :D

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
Leg Day

Ouch...still hurts to sit, walk, climb steps, move, you name it. My knees were buckling and I was waddling out of the gym last night. I'm working on a few different things with my workouts these days and the increased intensity is creating soreness I haven't felt in a long time. I did things a little bit differently today....started off with some single leg extensions, then hack squats, then single leg curls, unilateral leg press supersetted with atg squats, adductor machine (raised hips firing the glutes) and finally walking lunges! It was actually nice to have my legs wobble and fail before my breath did on lunges LOL. I'm starting to feel better and better each day now that my nutrition and supplementation is spot on.

IN THE ZONE...

Sporto

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
first off, congrats on the new dad gig! :)

now, about the surgery..what did you have done?
if you don't want to speak on it here, PM me.

lastly - yeah man, the CEO stack is simply off the chain, you will like bro. ;)

if I am understanding right, you are not using A-Satck currrently tho?
I might run a mini-cycle for a short duration to help thru recovery and transitional issues at this point, get you firing on all cyclinders again.
take a break from stack mid-prep, then come back strong with the CEO graduated dosing thru completion.

spiderduncan

spiderduncan

Awards
  • Established
It was nothing major, and everything went great! I won't bother with the details (*hint* I wear a lot of LiveStrong apparel now), but let's just say that I am ready to get back into lifting 100% now!
Ummm...would this be similar to procedure to the founder of LifeStrong?!

I will be implementing an all-new diet, training, AND supplementation strategy for this year that I will reveal little by little as the contest season unfolds.
I am especially interested in seeing the diet and training unfold. To what degree are you changing the two?

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
well see that's what I was thinking, but I'm confused with the upper body sensitivity..in any event, i don't like to 'assume', I like to know.

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
Arms/Traps/Delts/Abs Day

There is no way on Earth I could describe in words how unbelievably sore I am today. It reminds me of the last time I worked out with Doug Miller in DC when I couldn't even touch my legs for a few days. I guess it's only fitting since I trained that same way 2 days ago lol. Yesterday was pretty intense...I kept the workout moving with some supersets and some intensity techniques. Smith machine presses, preacher curls, tricep extension, some cable work for lateral and rear delts, some seated dumbbell curls, cambered cable curls, dumbbell skull crushers, etc. I threw in some seated dumbbell shrugs and side serratus ab work before finishing. Very intense, sweat just pouring, and because nutrition has been in check the last few weeks, I'm really liking what I see in the mirror! Today is a much needed off day...just food, supplements, and a nice nap! The weights start again tomorrow!

Sporto

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
If you haven't already checked it out, you should really go to:

www.naturalbodybuildingradio.com

There's a lot of great info on there and it's nice that natural bodybuilding is getting some good exposure as well!

The featured guest this week has been told he has epic gyno too

Sporto

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
first off, congrats on the new dad gig! :)

now, about the surgery..what did you have done?
if you don't want to speak on it here, PM me.

lastly - yeah man, the CEO stack is simply off the chain, you will like bro. ;)

if I am understanding right, you are not using A-Satck currrently tho?
I might run a mini-cycle for a short duration to help thru recovery and transitional issues at this point, get you firing on all cyclinders again.
take a break from stack mid-prep, then come back strong with the CEO graduated dosing thru completion.
Thanks for the well wishes!

I'm not on any USP Labs products just yet. I'm saving them so that I have enough to last me through a 25 week prep. Jacob was extremely generous in his shipment to me and I have to ration it out the best I can to make it last...especially the PRIME!

I am especially interested in seeing the diet and training unfold. To what degree are you changing the two?
I'm incoporating a few different things into the diet and training this time around. With diet, I'm going to be more particular on some of the sources I use, and the timing of how I do things. With the training, I'm going to be using a variety of intensity techniques, one of which is my own little method, and start lifting muscle groups a little further apart with some a little more volume...the split will be different, but I can tell you that the way I am lifting now is getting me sore for 3-4 days now!

well see that's what I was thinking, but I'm confused with the upper body sensitivity..in any event, i don't like to 'assume', I like to know.
Tumor removal is all it was. It was close to the heart so they had to go in and laser it out. All seems to be well now and I am back at it pretty hard except the upper body stuff!

Sporto

spiderduncan

spiderduncan

Awards
  • Established
I'm incoporating a few different things into the diet and training this time around. With diet, I'm going to be more particular on some of the sources I use, and the timing of how I do things. With the training, I'm going to be using a variety of intensity techniques, one of which is my own little method, and start lifting muscle groups a little further apart with some a little more volume...the split will be different, but I can tell you that the way I am lifting now is getting me sore for 3-4 days now!
I will be following your updates! Thanks for the overview.

Tumor removal is all it was. It was close to the heart so they had to go in and laser it out. All seems to be well now and I am back at it pretty hard except the upper body stuff!
Wow! Did they determine if the nature of the tumor (benign/malignant)? How was it discovered?

Glad to hear that you are mending well.

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
Wow! Did they determine if the nature of the tumor (benign/malignant)? How was it discovered?

Glad to hear that you are mending well.
They did a biopsy and it came back benign...

I was having chest pains on my left side up near my collarbone area for some weird reason and thought maybe I pulled/torn something, so I went in for an MRI. THat's when they saw the tumor. So it was by dumbluck that they found it really.

It's out now and I'm back on the mend, so it's all good!

Sporto

spiderduncan

spiderduncan

Awards
  • Established
The featured guest this week has been told he has epic gyno too
Thanks for the link and the ensuing laughter that followed. lol. I don't frequent forums all that much, but I do recall a thread (bb.com?) that was inferring that a certain natural athlete had moobs.

BTW, I downloaded the interview and am looking forward to it.

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
Update!

Everything has been going great lately! Tax season is coming to a close within a few weeks, which as much as I love making a bunch of money in a short period of time, I am really looking forward to the time freedom that comes afterwards! I have a ton of things going on right now, and it has just as much fun as it is challenging to balance them all lol.

This last week, my diet has been on point. I have implemented a couple of strategies that I am testing out, and so far so good. The actual daily numbers on average have been:

70g fat
380g carbs
250g protein
3150 calories

with my bodyweight stabilizing at 225ish. That puts me at 14 cal/lb bodyweight while incorporating no cardio...which is nice. I have a good body composition level right now and feel like I am way ahead of my starting point the last time I prepped for a show. Not only am I 35lbs lighter, but my ratio is a lot better. This will really be worth its weight in gold so that I can go at a pristine 1-1.5lbs/week to maintain as much muscle as possible. I plan on upping these to:

75g fat
405g carbs
270g protein
3375 calories

and letting my bodyweight stabilize there before the initial deficit into prep. I'm looking at having my weight stabilize no higher than 228lbs in the condition that I am in.

I have been devoting a lot of time into researching all areas of this sport, and training has been no different. I am not re-inventing the wheel, or anything like that. All fundamentals that I have been preaching the last couple of years still apply to what I am doing. However, I have been learning a lot about the more refined details of training, stimuli, fibers, etc. and have been implementing some new strategies to my training that have literally left me sore to touch for multiple days in a row. This is a good thing in a twisted way :) The power/hypertrophy split has done wonders for me, and being able to add/subtract to it to fit some other techniques in has really kicked my butt into gear!

Supplementation is going to be a VERY important part of this next prep for me. I have had a paradigm shift in a few areas this last year or so, and this is one of them. Just like with training, the fundamentals will still apply, but again, I am paying a lot more attention to the finer details of this aspect and will be incorporating a few new principles into this prep. Believe it or not, there are some HIDDEN GEMS that I am now aware of that are actually pretty cheap that can really make a big difference and go a long way. I realize everybody responds differently to different things, so I won't divulge too much info, but let's just say there have been a few new things come to the surface lately that show great promise in making prep far more efficient!

With that being said, the last couple of days of training have been some good upper body days. I can almost fully flex the upper body area where my surgery was without any pain. There is still some mild swelling that should be gone within another week or two. Then it's heavy weight time! My strength in other areas are almost back to a full 100% of where I was at before all this happened. And what better way to start prep than at 100%! I do have a couple of nagging mild injuries that i have to nurse a little and work around, but I am still able to find exercises that give me no pain that allow me to continue to work those areas. So I can't complain!

I've got my pictures from my last show pinned up as the physique I want to crush this time on stage. I will be leaner, I will be more detailed, I will be fuller, I will be drier...I will NOT be outworked...PERIOD!

I have legs to do today - time to go to war...

Sporto

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
Three days ago was a massive leg day...the last two days have been pretty painful, and coincidentally, I took them off the gym to deal with some personal stuff. I went in the first day to do some abs/calves work that I simply had nothing left in the tank to do on leg day. So, I went in for a small workout to do that and have taken off since today. Leg strength is climbing and I was able to raise the weight on everything, including my supersets that literally leave me seeing jesus at the end of the sets lol.

Tonight was chest/shoulder night. My right shoulder is going to be an obstacle for me to overcome this prep. It's just very painful to do any chest exercise heavy. So I will have to nurse and and use several intensity techniques to do what I can with it. It sucks, but hey, everyone else has naggin injuries too, so I am no different. That's just part of the game. Maybe after a few of my magic supplements kick in, that will all get better :D I've been using a few different exercises the last couple of shoulder days to try to work around my injury, and I'm starting to find a few that will really work for me. The problem is going to be heavy chest work...looks like I will have to get a little creative to create the load I need. Can the CEO STACK come soon enough already!

Weight is holding steady at 225...Probably another week at this calorie level and then I will bump it another few hundred...prep is right aorund the corner and I have a FULL arsenal of diet/training techniques along with synergitic supplements that will make this one incredible ride! Not to mention, a unique way to use AP for some fat loss!

Back day tomorrow - can't wait!

Sporto

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
Back Thickness/Traps/Rear Delts

Deadlifts, Barbell Rows, Dumbbell Shrugs supersetted with Incline Supported Dumbbell Rear Raises, Hammer Strength Iso-Lateral Low Rows, Reverse Peck Deck supersetted with Hammer Strength Iso-Lateral Rows

~ It feels great to be doing some conventional deadlifts again! I was actually very happy with where my strength was on these considering I haven't pulled from the floor in a long time. I will continue with these all the way through prep. The barbell rows felt strong as well. I was able to go heavy and keep my traps from getting involved much and the middle of my back was on fire at this point! The hammer strength stuff was next...man, I love the feel of these...I'm so glad that the gyms I work out at have them. The reverse peck deck was some really light weight...I have a small tear in the area where my tricep inserts into my rear delt, so this exercise as well as the incline supported dumbbell rear raises were with some lighter weight. I just have to do what I can for now until it heals. I finished off with some more hammer strength work, this time at a different angle, and was pretty gassed out after that.

Diet

Fat: 70g
Carbs: 380g
Protein: 250g
Calories: 3150cals

~ I'm really just starting back on these numbers after about a week of not counting due to various circumstances and situations (including Easter!) going on right now. Tax season is closing up shortly and I will soon have the time freedom to do whatever, whenever, so I am looking forward to that! But as of today, I am back on these numbers and will continue to push the maintenance threshold until my official contest prep deficit starts.

Supplements

~ I have a brand new supplement protocol that I will implement in phases over the course of this prep. I have initiated the first phase as of a couple of weeks ago and I can already tell a difference. I am well stocked with some awesome combos that I will be using over the course of the next 20-25 weeks and can't wait to put my new theories to the test!

Sporto

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
Chest/Shoulders/Calves

Smith Machine Incline Press, Hammer Strength Iso-Lateral Decline Press, Low Incline Dumbbell Flys, Hammer Strength Iso-Lateral Shoulder Press, Seated Machine Lateral Raises supersetted with Cable Front Raises, Around The World lateral Raises, Seated Calf Raises, Machine Straight Leg Calf Raises

~ Strength is still not 100% in the chest or shoulder area. Chest seems to be improving though and strength is still going up as it has been since my surgery. The shoulder is still pretty painful, but I have found some ways and techniques to work around it for now. I have some supplements that I will be mega-dosing in the near future that will surely help with this, but I am not starting them up just yet. I've switched in and out some new exercises for these muscle groups and applying some new intenisty methods. I'm anxious to see the results over the next few months! I will be having some bizarre workout pairings from here on out, but that is all part of the plan - MUAHAHAHAH!

Diet

Fat: 57g
Carbs: 368g
Protein: 276g
Calories: 3089cals

~ I underate a little on the cals and fat grams...I've been used to eating all low fat stuff for so long, that I'm amazed at how much room I have for things like cheese and peanut butter. I'll do a better job of just supplementing with some fish oil, sesamin, and CLA at each meal when I need the fat content to be up a bit so that I don't cram it all into one meal at the end of the day.

Supplements

~ Still in the first phase...haven't implemented the CEO stack yet, nor have I started up the Scivation test booster. Those will start within the next few weeks though as the beginning deficit gets closer. I'm actually in the middle of a little stack I'm using for this tranistional period and it is scheduled to run out right about when the deficit starts and I will be implementing some different things. So far, things are going just the way I want them to!

Sporto