Sleep aids

Hypnotic traveling

Hypnotic traveling

Awards
  • First Up Vote
What does everyone recommend/use to help get to sleep and stay asleep? I tried zmk, I liked it but I’d like to explore other options.

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hypnos by chaos and pain always does me great supp wise
currently no water or a few hours prior to bed, blacked out room and I use a sound machine has given me the best results

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Sleep onset is tricky, and OTC supplements aren’t going to be super effective IMO. Best bet is inproving your sleep environment and sticking to a consistent schedule. Supplement wise, 500mcg of Melatonin may assist.

Sleep depth is a different topic:

600mg Ashwagandha (as KSM-66) greatly improves sleep depth for me. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6827862/

3g Glycine can help sleep depth as well. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1479-8425.2007.00262.x

So for me, my favorite sleep stack is KSM-66 + Magnesium Glycinate. The Magnesium Glycinate yields (IIRC) 14% magnesium and 86% glycine. Magnesium may also be beneficial for sleep quality, so it’s a great pre-bed combo in my experience.

Hypnotic traveling

Hypnotic traveling

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Thank you for everyone’s responses. I’ll take a look at Hypnos. the full spectrum CBD concerns me due to the trace amounts of thc, as I understand they are still detectable. I love herb, but we get drug tested so I need to keep my urine clean.

i use ksm66 religiously (honestly one of my favorite supplements), currently using it in mtest so my doses are at 6am and 6pm, not before bed. I also regularly supplement with magnesium, however I never tried the glycinate, I will absolutely give it a shot.

I prefer to sleep in total darkness, with little to no noise, so if the kids are awake or my wife is watching tv that can be distracting but generally my sleep environment is ideal. Although a new mattress would be nice!

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like mag glycinate for sure. I always get great sleep (as well as enhanced recovery) with SNS growth factor XT without feeling groggy in the morning.

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Here's my recommendations for sleep aids:

• CBD Oil I recommend the 83mg from the CBDisterally. Your mileage may very, but about 2ml gets me feeling really good. I recommend the full spectum blend with the 0.03% THC.
  • NOW Brand Kava Kava 250mg w/ 30% kavalactones. This stuff is like herbal Valium. You can read a lot more research about it on the Examine.com Kava page. It's a really good idea to take a fat source with the Kava because the kavalactones bind with the fat to cross the blood brain barrier. A lot of people like lecithin to take with their kava and I use 3 capsules of NOW Lecithin for this purpose. page.
  • NOW L-Theanine 100mg - This is another great relaxing supplement and really can have a synergistic effect with the stimulants to reduce the overall stimulation but still have it be there. Again, you can read more about it on the Examine.com Theanine page.
  • REPP Phenibut 250mg- Phenibut is the most iffy one on this list. Some people love it, some people are scared of it. In my experience, it's not euphoric so there's really no risk of addiction and 250mg is a very good starting dose for the compound. Phenibut is actually a gabapentanoid, while not directly working at the GABA receptor site, it has some form of interaction with it. You can read more about phenibut on the wikipedia article on it or this old article I saved by David Tolson, which is actually great, but he forgot to include the references. Phenibut Science By David Tolson
Then there are some drugs (specifically antihistamines) that help with sleep, but don't use them too often or you'll get dependent.

Doxylamine Succinate - this is what they put in Nyquil to help you sleep
Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) - Benadryl is also an antihistamine and will put you to sleep as well. It's dirt cheap when you buy it as an antihistamine, but when you buy it as a sleep aid a the pharmacy it's much more expensive.

I've never really liked Melatonin, it just doesn't really jive with me for some reason, but if you decided to take it, I would recommend the slow release variety as it keeps you asleep all night.

One thing I did come across while searching for melatonin was a product by AllMax called Lights Out. It has a lot of good ingredients in it. You'll notice they added B6 in the form of P5P which is the superior form (but it gives me weird dreams). That plus a lot of good sleep ingredients gives it a 👍 in my book.

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Thank you for everyone’s responses. I’ll take a look at Hypnos. the full spectrum CBD concerns me due to the trace amounts of thc, as I understand they are still detectable. I love herb, but we get drug tested so I need to keep my urine clean.

i use ksm66 religiously (honestly one of my favorite supplements), currently using it in mtest so my doses are at 6am and 6pm, not before bed. I also regularly supplement with magnesium, however I never tried the glycinate, I will absolutely give it a shot.

I prefer to sleep in total darkness, with little to no noise, so if the kids are awake or my wife is watching tv that can be distracting but generally my sleep environment is ideal. Although a new mattress would be nice!
KSM66 is a great supplement for sleep. Magnesium glycinate is also a great supplement to help with sleep. Magnesium is a potent muscle relaxer and helps calm your body down. You also have good poops in the morning from the magnesium.

You could also try adding glycinate itself to your sleep regiment as it has been shown to help get a deeper and more restful sleep. NOW Glycinate would be the perfect addition.

Uncle_E

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
KSM66 is a great supplement for sleep. Magnesium glycinate is also a great supplement to help with sleep. Magnesium is a potent muscle relaxer and helps calm your body down. You also have good poops in the morning from the magnesium.

You could also try adding glycinate itself to your sleep regiment as it has been shown to help get a deeper and more restful sleep. NOW Glycinate would be the perfect addition.

I’m having good sleep with Magnesium Glycinate / melatonin combo.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Unfortunately, a low dose of phenibut (250-500 mg) is the only thing that consistently gives me great sleep. I don't get any improvements in mood...just a large decrease in anxiety and very sleepy. Never had to go higher than 500 mg either. I'd recommend trying some of the other/safter options given here first but if all else fails, it might be worth trying phenibut before bed (on an occasional basis).

Hypnotic traveling

Hypnotic traveling

Awards
  • First Up Vote
What dose is recommended for magnesium glycinate? I’ve been taking magnesium glycinate (400mg)the past two night and it seems to be helping a bit.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Growth factor xt or Phenibut xt by SNS would be my go to!

Hypnotic traveling

Hypnotic traveling

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Looking at growth factor xt, but noticed it includes L Dopa, as does mtest, which I also use in the evening - would this still be ok to try?

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Looking at growth factor xt, but noticed it includes L Dopa, as does mtest, which I also use in the evening - would this still be ok to try?
With the two combined it looks like it would be a total of 300 mg. I don't think that's anything to be concerned about. I've seen a lot higher dosages in products so I don't see an issue.

Cienapotr

Cienapotr

Awards
The best sleep aid I had last year was the new mattress. I used to sleep on a memory foam one, but that one caused me problems with blood pressure, and I used to get headaches every night. And a little less than a year ago, I got an airflow mattress from shelden-healthcare.co.uk, one of the best purchases I made. This mattress consists of different cells filled with air separately, so each part of my body has support. This mattress also helped to reduce the pressure on the surface of my body and make me feel much better. Now I experience much fewer headaches and sleep all the 8 hours like a baby.

Last edited:
Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
The best sleep aid I had last year was the new mattress. I used to sleep on a memory foam one, but that one caused me problems with blood pressure, and I used to get headaches every night
How did the mattress cause you BP problems?

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Excellent recommendations in here. Here's my sleep supplement regimen.
-Daily 1 hour before bed: Magnesium Glycinate, KSM66, Zinc, B6
-2 nights per week (never back to back): Phenibut
-Occasional uses: Delta 8

I find the bigger I get the less quality sleep I'm getting. I might need to have a sleep study and see if there's some sleep apnea going on.

Screwtape

Screwtape

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've started using Sensoril Ashwagandha and it seems to work great taken before bedtime.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Sensoril was mentioned above and is a good option; we get a lot of feedback from people that use Stress & Anxiety Support timing a dose before bedtime for relaxation purposes.

Sleep Assist XT has a great ingredient profile and a lot of great feedback as well. The dosage is customizable for individual needs and most people find that 2 capsules works great (you can take up to 4 caps). For me, I use 1 capsule if I'm getting less than 6 hours of sleep, 2 capsules if I can get 8 hours of sleep, and base if off how I feel if I'm trying for between 6 and 8 hours of sleep.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sensoril was mentioned above and is a good option; we get a lot of feedback from people that use Stress & Anxiety Support timing a dose before bedtime for relaxation purposes.

Sleep Assist XT has a great ingredient profile and a lot of great feedback as well. The dosage is customizable for individual needs and most people find that 2 capsules works great (you can take up to 4 caps). For me, I use 1 capsule if I'm getting less than 6 hours of sleep, 2 capsules if I can get 8 hours of sleep, and base if off how I feel if I'm trying for between 6 and 8 hours of sleep.

Agreed here as well. Can't go wrong with SNS. So many quality sleep aides out there.