Should I stay on clomid or try to start TRT?

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
Brief background: I'm almost 35 y/o, did multiple but reasonable AAS cycles from age 19 to 25. Crashed after last cycle (taking OTC anti-e supp not clomid) and have had significant hypogonadism symptoms since, causing large decrease in QoL, and chronic anxiety, ED, fatigue, depression that I did not have prior (except for moderate ED).

Currently I'm on clomid 25mg/day since last week prescribed by my urologist after test came back at 369ng/dl despite very good nutrition/sleep/exercise regimen. I have noticed a pretty significant reduction in anxiety, fatigue (both basically gone), and depression since starting, and I think some mild improvement in erectile function w/ some nighttime erections returning. Still no morning wood. Libido is decent but only slightly higher than pre-clomid. Last cycle was in 2005 and I was treated w/ clomid previously but my test went from 1100 on clomid back to 300s off it so my HPTA will likely not "restart."

I am currently debating whether to continue clomid longer term (say at a reduced dose of 12.5mg ED or EOD) or to start TRT and would just like some opinions. The ONLY two choices are clomid or TRT though. I will never go back to chronically feeling like I have been. Even my family agrees (mom etc. knows about AAS history and has been worried about how down I have been for years now urging me to go into Dr.)

Mitigating factors: Due to what I do for work/school I may have to move to a place I cannot control in the future. It could be a semi-rural area or may be a larger city, but I will likely have to move in 4 years (so I cannot be sure I will be able to get TRT in the new city - how available is online TRT?)
Also, I worry that starting TRT could label me as having a pre-existing condition and we don't know how that will affect insurance with it in flux right now in the US.

Health risks: What's more risky? Long term low dose clomid or TRT? I think really no one knows, clomid has the vision issue and negative mood sides whereas TRT will make you dependent on it in a way that clomid does not.

Any thoughts? Anyone go from clomid for low T to TRT and have better results with one or the other?

InItForGainz

Awards
  • Established
When I was first diagnosed with Testicular Failure/Hypogonadism, they put me on Clomid at 20mg per day and it didn't do anything besides raising my Testosterone by 40ng/dl and play with my mood.
Then when they put me on the TRT injections it was life changing! Everything got better, everything felt better and life just felt great.
So with my experiences and in my opinion, if you have the abailability and access to injectable TRT then go for it.

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
Thanks. How did it affect your health parameters (lipids/hemoglobin etc)?

Does anyone know if TRT is accessible over the internet? Like if I had to move to a small town for example?

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
Thanks, I know I could google that. I should rephrase the question to "Has anyone used online TRT or otherwised accessed TRT outside of your local area?"

InItForGainz

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, I know I could google that. I should rephrase the question to "Has anyone used online TRT or otherwised accessed TRT outside of your local area?"
My second Endo doctor kept messing me around with silly gels and things after my original Endo doctor left the practice so I just self prescribe and administer my own TRT now. I don't know if that answers your question but I think if you're sensible with your dosages and monitor your own health closely enough self administered TRT can be just as safe as doctor administered TRT.

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
Regrettably because of the field I'm in ordering any illegal meds is off the table so I'll have to go through "legit" channels with a doctor's rx. It's either going to be some form of clomid therapy or TRT forever though (which of course means ultimately TRT). Just trying to decide if I should try to start it now at 35 or do clomid because at least if I had to go off clomid I won't have as bad a time as if I had to abruptly discontinue TRT after a few years of it.

InItForGainz

Awards
  • Established
Regrettably because of the field I'm in ordering any illegal meds is off the table so I'll have to go through "legit" channels with a doctor's rx. It's either going to be some form of clomid therapy or TRT forever though (which of course means ultimately TRT). Just trying to decide if I should try to start it now at 35 or do clomid because at least if I had to go off clomid I won't have as bad a time as if I had to abruptly discontinue TRT after a few years of it.
If your only option is to go through legit channels then talk to your doctor, they'll be able to help and advise you better. In my experiece though, injectable TRT changed my life.