Sets Per Week For Arms

G34RS

G34RS

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Just curious how many sets per week you all do for biceps and triceps.

I read so many different things on it, but it’d be nice to get a quick poll for what’s worked for all of you.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Supposedly 10-20 sets per week per body part is best. I only do 6-8 (3-4 sets twice per week).

G34RS

G34RS

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Supposedly 10-20 sets per week per body part is best. I only do 6-8 (3-4 sets twice per week).
I’ve been looking into Mike Israetel’s recommendations on sets, and it looks interesting. Some of that scheduling **** gets way too complicated for me though, and I can’t spend an hour making a spreadsheet every few weeks to keep track of my workouts.

I had previously only been doing 6 per week, but I feel like my arms really lag behind the rest of my body, and the lack of strength there is limiting the development of my chest and back.

I’ve also been hesitant to move up sets in the past, as I’ve gotten tendonitis before when I was younger, less experienced, and frankly not eating enough to recover properly.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I've been doing 14 sets of bi's and 20 sets of tri's (but 8 of the tri sets are just high rep rope pull downs to warm up the elbows before the real work starts). Some drop sets, some muscle rounds, some sets at 5010 tempo. This doesn't include some of the compound reps I do during the rest of the week when I'm working shoulders, chest and back.

I'm natty and not huge, but the current workout plan is getting me enough results to be getting comments from some family and friends about my arms. Gonna keep it going another 4 weeks at least before I switch things up.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
6-8 sets (true sets to failure of near failure) twice a week is what I do. More and I couldn’t function. If you train volume and low intensity then yes up to 20 sets per week but if you train with intensity it’s impossible, litterally impossible to do more than 8-10 sets per muscle per workout!

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
6-8 sets (true sets to failure of near failure) twice a week is what I do. More and I couldn’t function. If you train volume and low intensity then yes up to 20 sets per week but if you train with intensity it’s impossible, litterally impossible to do more than 8-10 sets per muscle per workout!
Yeah, I neglected to mention that I have the sets split over two days. Monday and Friday (with other muscle groups on Tues, Wed and Sat). Each of those arm days my bi's and tri's are pretty toasted by the time I'm finished. Again, the 20 tri sets is if you count the warm up sets, without those it's only about 12 sets for tri's.

BMW4Life

BMW4Life

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I've never seen more growth in my arms than now. I do a total of 7 sets a week. PPL split

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So you're still doing double what I do. I've been thinking about this though. Arms are also the only body part I train to failure, and they are lagging the most. I may back off a little and add more volume.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
So you're still doing double what I do. I've been thinking about this though. Arms are also the only body part I train to failure, and they are lagging the most. I may back off a little and add more volume.
Yeah my arms grew when I started doing less heavy but more control and slower reps. For the rest i completely messed up what I said up there I have a 4 day split right now and I do 3 to 4 exercise 2 sets per muscle so yeah when you think about it it’s once a week too. I’m just so used to follow what my coach says I didn’t even realise I do once a week

Last edited:
CasperKValentine

CasperKValentine

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yeah my arms grew when I started doing less heavy but more control and slower reps. For the rest i completely messed up what I said up there I have a 4 day sleep right now and I do 3 to 4 exercise 2 sets per muscle so yeah when you think about it it’s once a week too. I’m just so used to follow what my coach says I didn’t even realise I do once a week
I was going to say the same thing until I read your reply. I'm normally low volume, high intensity and agree 100% with what you said about not being able to do x number of sets if you train with true high intensity. That's when an empty bar or pink dumbbells get heavy.

Recently I started getting to a point my strength was shooting up in all bicep/tricep exercises but no size changes even with increasing calories. When I flex the muscle it feels so tight, I wanted to really start stretching the facia and add more time under tension. I started using lighter weights and slower reps with more focus on the contraction, I added more sets but only going to failure on some of the sets. Arms grew quarter of an inch very quickly. I honestly think it was a combination of both methods though. I don't think I would have got the quick size increase without the intensity work that increased strength. I guess what I'm getting at for the OP is that there isn't a set way that's going to work for everyone. It really depends on where you are at with training, your genetics, etc. Sometimes you just have to use some trial and error to figure out what works best for you at a certain time.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
This kind of stuff is always highly individual both on an all time and based on recent programming basis.

Typically when training with adequate rest 6-8 sets per session up to 2-3 times per week (12-24 total weekly sets) on average (different individuals may require different approaches).

*If you haven't done higher frequency or volume is below this don't jump in too high too quick, start low and build.
**Vary these things one specific volume will produce different results even for the same individual based on circumstances.
***Periods of higher targeted volume and frequency for lagging parts can work well if you lower volume in other areas.

Finally keep in mind this only matters or makes sense if you are actually getting proper muscle activation and intensity for the required muscle.

I personally do 0 direct work currently. :censored:

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
8 set for triceps, one workout per week

12 for bi's two workouts per week - My bi's stink !!