Scrawny man needs some help!

bagofbones

Awards
Hey guys, new to the boards here and finally getting back into weight training and out of my period of extreme laziness! Im an obvious ecto and have a very skinny physique, it seems impossible to gain weight. When I was in college I was in the best shape and I freaking lost it all, damn computer jobs!

Anyways, just wanted to get everyones opinion on what they think is best for people like me to do to gain weight and bulk up. I am reading a mens health book which has meal plans and exercise routines but I wanna compare it to everyone elses thoughts.

Thanks!

MasterFlexx

MasterFlexx

Awards
First get your base back naturally. Eat as many calories for the target weight you are aiming for, but make sure you are eating clean. You don't want all the weight you gain to be fatty. Take a multi daily and drink lots of water.

Get your training back on track too. Stick to your routine and don't miss a scheduled gym day. After you get yourself back on a good track and start running into those infamous plateaus then start supplementing to get you over those barriers. Do you have an on site gym where you work? Can you find someone to workout with? Both of these will help with your motivation and help you stick with your goals. This is just a few minor suggestions to get you started again.

Search this forum, there are tons and tons of threads with an overwhelming amount of information on how to get started again and get everything into check.

I'm sure others will chime in with some suggestions shortly.

Last edited:
bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Your biggest hurdle as an ecto is going to be eating enough. Track your calories with something like fitday.com and eat more than you think you should.

tattoopierced1

keep a notebook handy with you for a week and write down your macros on what you are eating. Add them up at the end of the day and at the end of the week, sit down and start critiquing your diet and make changes where they need to be made. It'll be obvious if you just take a little time and patience in writing this stuff down at first and will become 2nd nature once you get settled in.... then future changes wont be a big deal because you'll know exactly where you need to fit or remove things from.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
A) 5x5 - http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

Plus

1. Workout hard - There are many different workout regimes, many that work well. Generally: Strength training is in the 6 rep range / Bodybuilding in the 8-10 rep range. - Rep range warmup: 15 ( sets 1 & 2 ) Working: 10, 8, 6 last three sets add drop sets to failure )

2. Fast Efficient Workouts = 1hr - This is not hard and fast but studies have shown that Cortisol rises after 1hr

3. Protein shake immediately after workout and then protein meal with carbs etc within 1hr

4. Creatine - Mono or CEE you decide. Both before and after workout.

5. Daily meals - 5 - 6 day ( including shakes ) protein = 1g per pound of body weight. Meal 1 ( breakies ) is shake plus oatmeal or whatever else you want ( apple is good fibre / system crap mover ), Meal 6 is post workout shake with creatine etc and then solid food meal. Carbs tapered down from morning to evening and fats tapered up from morning to evening. Protein is a constant.

6. Sleep 8 - 10 hrs a night ( very imp for all natural BB'ers )

7. Supps - Do you note the order in which these are and where supps come??? - a) Multivitamin / B complex b) Whey protein c) creatine e) Test boosters / stacks etc

Most importantly do you see the order of these things?

Exercises: Compound movements i.e. two arm two leg exercises.

1. Squats - Biggest muscle and boosts test like crazy, work em hard and see results big time.

2. Deadlifts / Chins / Bent over Rows / Pulldowns - 1st attempt either an palm up or palm down chin at the beginning of your back workout, if you can do one, try two, if you can do 15, add weight. Most important for back is to make the mind / muscle connection. Concentrate ( start with low weight and excellent form ) on getting a good contraction and not swinging with the weight. Calm controlled up down with good squeeze of lats at bottom of rep. All about the connection / squeeze

3. Leg press

4. Flat Bench Dumbell / Barbell - Always swap it up, it takes more muscle etc to do dumbells ( stabilizing muscles etc ) but switch it up - Start with dips to hit lower chest then move to flat bench / incline.

5. Core work - Abs / lower back - work the weaker harder.

This should give you a good idea....Best thing for test.....squats ....good form, warm up well, be careful and grow!