Safe for me to compete at a collegiate level in sprinting?

pcproffy

Awards
I'll admit I'm only 32 so don't lynch me! I competed in track and field, sprinting, in high school and college. I'm tempted to train and compete as an independent at some local college meets. My favorite race is 400m and I wonder if I could still run under 50 seconds. I'm also worried about the safety of trying and here is a little more information.

For the past 10 years I have been lazy about my health. I smoked for a few years but have been mostly smoke free for the last 4-5 years. The last 3 years I have boozed it up a bit. I'm now about 30 lbs overweight, 6'2 and 210lbs. I have been a weekend warrior and not kept up on my fitness.

A few things in my favor: I lived pretty healthy the first 2/3 of my life. I'm only 30 lbs overweight and never got really fat. My cholesterol and blood pressure have always stayed in healthy levels. Athletic background and I know how to train.

I don't plan to compete for 8-12 months so I can take my time increasing intensity. Anyone think I should worry about dropping dead from pushing myself too hard?

ProfBush

Awards
Dude, what are you thinking? You are 32 years old and it's time to head for the easy chair. You should know that it is all downhill from here. Unfortunately it will be a couple more years before we can give you the official over-35 play book and teach you the secret handshake. Look around the gym and see how out of shape we pathetic creatures are who are over 30.

Seriously, I am 60 and still setting PRs in the gym. Get a physical so you will know for sure that you are healthy enough and, if you can still hit your numbers, go for it.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Get yourself checked out and start kicking some arse bubba. You will just have to be smarter and listen to your body more because it won't be as forgiving as it was in your youth.

pcproffy

Awards
I checked out the USA track and field (masters) 2009 season for 30-35 range and only about 3 people officially ran the times I hope to achieve. I might need to revise my goals slightly :p

Still I think I have a chance because I know I never maxed my potential when i was younger because I lacked knowledge and experience.

Thanks for the replies.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
30 is the new 20. Seriously though, 32 is not "too old" to be pushing yourself AT ALL (with the exception of some sort of medical condition).

Cubate

Awards
I am 34 and here's how I train:

13 mile bike ride 40 minutes weight lifting 4 times a week.

You can still kick ass...

Go for it....

I took a stress test at the cardiologist prior to training this hard... I bought an HR monitor and sometimes add a two mile run at the end....
I hope to enter a triathlon in June.....

I was just as lazy.... And smoke and drink...

Go go go go!!!
Jesus helps me too...

KAZISKING

KAZISKING

Awards
sprinters don't peak until after 30. My dad was a sprinter (100,200,400, and long jumper) in college. he had the second fastest high school 400 time in the state and I ran a 4.4 forty back in the glory days. I would defintely do it if I was younger.

GuyverX

GuyverX

Awards
  • Established
Get yourself checked out and start kicking some arse bubba. You will just have to be smarter and listen to your body more because it won't be as forgiving as it was in your youth.
My 50 year old aunt is ripped and has a six pack and just eats clean and exercises.
And people I know who are 35+ seem to be more healthy and active than many 20 somethings I see.
See no reason why a 32 year old guy cannot train, eat right and blow the cleats off anyone else.

to the OP.... wishing you the best.