Rest-Pause for close grip bench

fieldt76

Awards
How long should I wait between each rep? I love close grip bench on my tri day and i'm just looking to change it up a bit.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
for standard rest pause, 30 seconds. though you can wait 5 seconds, 10 seconds, or anything in between. consistency is key though, as it better tells you if you're making progress.

for example, 5-10 second rest, you'll get maybe 1-2 extra reps. on a 30 second rest, you may push 5 extra reps. if you're not consistent with your timing, its difficult to measure progress.

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
I hear alot of people go by their breaths,.. like 10-12 breaths, then more reps. I suppose a certain amount of breaths would equal a certain amount of time. ie:12 breaths=30 seconds!!!

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
I usually count breaths...10 -12 is right where I try to be...

fieldt76

Awards
so I did them today(close-grip bench/rest-pause). After I warmed up with 135, here's how it went...
10 breath pause between every rep:
185x12
205x10
225x8
I was pretty gassed after that was over with, but i really liked it.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
not trying to call u out but i dont get how rest pause is good for anything besides pure strength gains?

i do it for bench press trying to raise my max but i use a 3 rep max...

so u do one rep rack one rep rack on 185 and same all the way down? why not just do that on ur last set

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
so I did them today(close-grip bench/rest-pause). After I warmed up with 135, here's how it went...
10 breath pause between every rep:
185x12
205x10
225x8
I was pretty gassed after that was over with, but i really liked it.
I don't get it. You got only 12 @185 on your first set, but still managed 8@ 225, on your last set?

Usually you would keep the weight the same through all "mini sets" of the RP set. And pick a weight you would FAIL at, for a certain number of reps(ie 6-8).

fieldt76

Awards
I don't get it. You got only 12 @185 on your first set, but still managed 8@ 225, on your last set?

Usually you would keep the weight the same through all "mini sets" of the RP set. And pick a weight you would FAIL at, for a certain number of reps(ie 6-8).
I guess I should have asked more specific questions in my original post. I've never done rest-pause before and wasn't sure how it would go. Also, I didn't have a spot yesterday, which kind of screwed me out of the failure part. Thanks for the advice bro. You wouldn't happen to have a link that explains RP in detail would you?

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
Rest-Pause Principle (using 85-90 percent of your max, do 2-3 reps and put the weight down. Then do 2-3 more, rest, 2-3 more and rest for a total of 3-4 rest-pauses. The short rest-pauses allow enough time for ATP to be resynthesized and permit further reps with the heavy weight.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
listen to him. He knows whats up.