Reduced calories and "starvation mode"

Patuba

Awards
  • Established
So I'm trying to loose some fat but I usually cut calories too much and start loosing muscle. I'm guessing I am going into starvation mode but I only have about a 800 calorie deficit.

I have estimated that I burn about 2500 calories a day and I eat 1700-1800 a day.

Is there a way to tell how many calories you can cut out and not go into "starvation mode"?

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
What's your tdee. 800 deficiency is a lot

Patuba

Awards
  • Established
According to my Body Media it is about 2500-2600 calories on days I exercise and about 2200-2300 on days I do not exercise.

jmiyamoto

jmiyamoto

Awards
Starvation mode would probably be way below that.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
I dont know that I would go that low of a defecit. 500 I would say at the max if you want to do that much. Are you supplementing too? Are you eating vegetables to keep you full?

Patuba

Awards
  • Established
Yes, I am taking supplements and I do eat veggies although not for dieting just good health. I work a hectic job where I don't have a lot of time to eat.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I doubt you are in starvation mode. The loss of muscle can be caused by multiple factors and whilst an 800kcal deficit may be too much in some peoples minds, look into PSMF which will challenge your viewpoints on it.

Patuba

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, what is PSMF?

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
Do you think you are in "stravation mode" because you are hungry?

Patuba

Awards
  • Established
No I am hardly hungry. Lack of gains, body composition changes is my concern. I have the amazing ability of keeping by body appearance the same regardless of diet and exercise.

I thought maybe I was eating too little.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

vassille

Awards
No I am hardly hungry. Lack of gains, body composition changes is my concern. I have the amazing ability of keeping by body appearance the same regardless of diet and exercise.

You are eating too little.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

Your not going to gain much muscle in a calorie deficit; the best you can hope for is that you won't lose to much of what you already have.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have seen people go much lower in deficit. the problem becomes, that you cant focus and become very irritable. u could gage things by your strength perhaps. when it stalls add some more cals into your diet.