question about insulin mimickers and protein hydroslyte

benj851

benj851

Awards
  • Established
So I have been pondering this for a little while now, and can't seem to come to a conclusion on the matter so I was hoping to receive some input.

Protein hydrolyzte is short chain protein which works to release insulin in the body just like sugar. claiming that you get the benefits of an insulin spike (muscle growth and etc.), without the negative effects of di-saccharide sugar.

the pretense I am getting from this is from no-shotgun, no-synthesize and other pre/post workout drinks with hydro in it.

now at the same time, post w/o nutrition being as crucial as it is, with the goal of 80g of complex and 30g of simple sugars, insulin mimickers come into play to limit the amount of insulin secreted into the system so that more of the carbs ingested go into muscles again to promote muscle fullness leading to muscle synthesis and a better pump due to increased nutrient absorption.

the pretense I am getting this from is pslin and anabolic pump. or other mimickers.

so by ingesting no-shotgun pre, no-syntesize after, and then 10 mnutes later dosing pslin then comsuming my post w/o meal am I defeating the goal of using the products. i.e. does the hydro increase the insulin secretion only to be blunted by the pslin, therefore canceling the benefits of either?

am I making any sense in my question?

As always thanks for your input.

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You are WAAAAAY over thinking this!

The longer you workout the more you will realize that this **** doesn't matter!

Learn about nutrient timing, train with progressive overload and get your calories in. Supplements that have proven ingredients for specific reasons can help but dear lord this question is a microcosm of why I post so infrequently here these days.

You seem like a very smart guy and sometimes that isn't a good thing in this hobby when it drives you to worry about stuff like this.

zb126

Awards
  • Established
You are WAAAAAY over thinking this!

The longer you workout the more you will realize that this **** doesn't matter!

Learn about nutrient timing, train with progressive overload and get your calories in. Supplements that have proven ingredients for specific reasons can help but dear lord this question is a microcosm of why I post so infrequently here these days.

You seem like a very smart guy and sometimes that isn't a good thing in this hobby when it drives you to worry about stuff like this.
On that topic, a book I just picked up off amazon on that is "Nutrient Timing" by Ivy and Portman...under ten bucks and is supposed to be awesome. I'm starting it tomorrow so if you want I'll let you know how it is :)

h22t88

Awards
I tend to obsess over things like this too. There's nothing wrong with it. Every little edge you can get counts. That's what this MB is for. I think it's important to understand exactly how your supps work. Especially if they could be counter acting each other. They're not exactly cheap. Never stop learning and I'd like to see an answer too.

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I tend to obsess over things like this too. There's nothing wrong with it. Every little edge you can get counts. That's what this MB is for. I think it's important to understand exactly how your supps work. Especially if they could be counter acting each other. They're not exactly cheap. Never stop learning and I'd like to see an answer too.
No its not because there is no right answer for this.

Post workout insulin response is generally important so insulin mimicers PWO are not advisable. Shuttling nutrients can and will be done efficiently by your body and insulin will also blunt cortisol BUT on a strict cut the logic might switch.

Also if money is the concern I dare you to name one bodybuilder at any level who will say exotic protein hydroslates are what helped them achieve their base size. I also dare say that not very many people obsessing over questions like this have achieved significant base size. Basically there is no need for insulin mimickers PWO and if you must think that hydroslates will give you an advantage then you should be financially well off enough to not even consider the money because the value for 95% of trainers is so low that the average person doesn't need them (along with 98% of other supplements) So really I am just using this as an example of nitpicking to vent on.

There you go, question answered and a vent as a cherry on top

zb126

Awards
  • Established
No its not because there is no right answer for this.

Post workout insulin response is generally important so insulin mimicers PWO are not advisable. Shuttling nutrients can and will be done efficiently by your body and insulin will also blunt cortisol BUT on a strict cut the logic might switch.

Also if money is the concern I dare you to name one bodybuilder at any level who will say exotic protein hydroslates are what helped them achieve their base size. I also dare say that not very many people obsessing over questions like this have achieved significant base size. Basically there is no need for insulin mimickers PWO and if you must think that hydroslates will give you an advantage then you should be financially well off enough to not even consider the money because the value for 95% of trainers is so low that the average person doesn't need them (along with 98% of other supplements) So really I am just using this as an example of nitpicking to vent on.

There you go, question answered and a vent as a cherry on top
nice vent :D

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I didnt read anything in this thread, but I will say that the only insulin mimetics you should use need to be selective. Im pretty most of the ones sold are not.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Because there are receptors in both skeletal muscle and adipose tissue. You better hope the one youre using is selective just for muscle tissue

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
On that topic, a book I just picked up off amazon on that is "Nutrient Timing" by Ivy and Portman...under ten bucks and is supposed to be awesome. I'm starting it tomorrow so if you want I'll let you know how it is :)
It's basic knowledge that most know/have known for some time. One thing to remember is that Ivy looks at it from a performance perspective.

h22t88

Awards
Haha..nice vent. To tell you the truth I just glanced over his post and then saw you tell him to stop thinking about how his supplements work together. I def obsess/read when I'm off about certain timing of supplements and believe it's very important. If I would have read his question thoroughly and thought about it I prob wouldn't have posted that. It just sounded like you were discouraging him from asking questions about how his supps work. You could have explained to him why PWO IM are not advisable and then went on with what you said (because it's right on) That's all. I live on the dark side, what do I know? ;) EAT and lift like it's my job. My other "supplements" do the rest.