Protein Blend

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
I am not a PES cheerleader but I think is is a decent product as I have purchased it. I don't think I will be a frequent repeat customer as prefer a different product.
it matters not to me whether you are specific company "cheerleader" or not, but thanks for qualifying your feedback here..
Specifically what I don't like about Beverly label: I don't personally feel Calcium Caseniate is a quality protein source. Also in regards to the ingredient list I don't prefer to use products that have Sodium Caseinate and Mono- And Diglycerides.
I applaud the fact that we have now moved beyond the benign "protein % per scoop" quantification..

but - what do you have against calcium caseinate? what would be your preferred source - something like micellar casein perhaps?
(Beverly UMP has micellar in it too, along with calcium caseinate..)
truth be told - you are splitting hairs I think,....ANY type of industrial/commercial casein can be surmised to have "drawbacks" - for that matter, so can whole food from cheese & milk (ie too much sat fat & too much lactose etc)

as for the mono & diglycerides - well I can see the value in the point you make, in generic context....but if you are really worried about these minute amounts that are simply used as binders for consistency purposes, again I think it's practice in irrelevant hair-splitting again for you....I would like to see what kind of foods you eat daily, that you pay this much attention to - and god forbid you ever eat out somewhere! how do you justify that expense, for such hazardous nutrient profile???

along those lines - may I ask, since you say select is not your go-to protein powder, just what is the powder you prefer?

For sure, but PES Select comes remarkably close to it in flavour plus a better formula when you consider the protein + extra leucine.
UMP has extra leucine in it too, btw, fyi

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
it matters not to me whether you are specific company "cheerleader" or not, but thanks for qualifying your feedback here..
I applaud the fact that we have now that we have moved beyond the benign "protein % per scoop" quantification..

but - what do you have against calcium caseinate? what would be your preferred source - something like micellar casein perhaps?
truth be told - you are splitting hairs I think,....ANY type of industrial/commercial casein can be surmised to have "drawbacks" - for that matter, so can whole food from cheese & milk (ie too much sat fat & too much lactose etc)

as for the mono & diglycerides - well I can see the value in the point you make, in generic context....but if you are really worried about these minute amounts that are simply used as binders for consistency purposes, again I think it's practice in irrelevant hair-splitting again for you....I would like to see what kind of foods you eat daily, that you pay this much attention to - and god forbid you ever eat out somewhere! how do you justify that expense, for such hazardous nutrient profile???

along those lines - may I ask, since you say select is not your go-to protein powder, just what is the powder you prefer?
2 step conversion of milk straight out of a cow's teat of course (step 1 dehydrate the movile, step 2 pulverize into powder). :p

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You ever get any and have a sample I will kindly trade you for some.
Have not bought that stuff in a long long time brother :p My closet currently consists of Select and Metabolic Drive :p

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
I applaud the fact that we have now that we have moved beyond the benign "protein % per scoop" quantification..

I'm not sure why you have such a condescending tone your post. Perhaps you do not not intend to come off this way and if we were having this discussion in person you would be more amicable. As you clearly are knowledgeable about the topic and contribute frequently to these forums, I will assume the later to be the case

First of all, I do feel the net percentage of protein in a product is a valid measuring tool. Not only does it suggest how many additional ingredients and/or fillers are in a product but it also is a easy way to measure the cost efficiency of a product (for those that may be more price sensitive than others). I understand you place little value in this number. No problem there. It's possible I am the only one that values that information.

In regards to Calcium Caseinate, after reviewing my comment I mispoke. I incorrectly referred to it as "not a quality" protein source. I do not belive it to be of poor quality. To be more specific, lthough calcium caseinate is a casein protein, to which most assume to be a slow digesting protein, there was a study that found it's assimilation in the body to not be that much slower than whey protein. If a slower rate of absorbption is what one is looking for with a casein, I realize I am making asn assumption here, then calcium caseinate (as a standalone protein source) would not be the best choice for that purpose. However with the added fats in UMP (3.5g/20g protein), the rate of absorbtion of CC in as a whole in UMP is likely moot.

Splitting hairs.....yes, perhaps that is true. However I personally try to limit (notice I did not say eliminate) my exposure to certain things, in so much as I can and/or where I have an easy choice to do so. It just so happens that the supplement industry is such a place where I can easily limit my personal exposure to some of these ingredients.

My preferred protein at the moment is a couple of the products offered by MuscleFeast. Their ingredient profile is free of ingredients that I try to limit as well as being naturally sweetened. You may say avoiding artificial sweeteners is yet another area where I am splitting hairs and again you may be correct. However since it is easy to do so when choosing my protein I make the choice to limit my exposure of these ingredients in my protein powder as well.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
I'm not sure why you have such a condescending tone your post.
I'm not sure why you would infer or calculate a "tone" to my post to begin with?
quite frankly, I really do not think my keystrokes have "attitude", but if you conclude this to be true then so be it, what can I do? :)
(does a smiley face help?)

Perhaps you do not not intend to come off this way and if we were having this discussion in person you would be more amicable. As you clearly are knowledgeable about the topic and contribute frequently to these forums, I will assume the later to be the case
i'm really a pretty amicable guy, despite the hoopla you may hear about me ;)

First of all, I do feel the net percentage of protein in a product is a valid measuring tool. Not only does it suggest how many additional ingredients and/or fillers are in a product but it also is a easy way to measure the cost efficiency of a product (for those that may be more price sensitive than others). I understand you place little value in this number. No problem there. It's possible I am the only one that values that information.
no, you are not the only one who values that info - and I have no problem with it
as a tool, used to measure the value or effectiveness of something, it can be somewhat helpful in the overall determination of an answer...
to use it as the sole quantifier of a comparison however, is pretty inefficient and newb-ish if you will..
for example: if you were measuring the net protein per scoop of disproportionate powders, like say a full MRP (which of course has more carbs and fats typically speaking than say a straight whey isolate powder), then it would be quite bastardized and useless...

(I do not just single you out here - there are actually websites that dedicate themselves to all-inclusive comparisons of this %, throwing dissimilar powder profiles all into one lump to compare....and of course, this is quite ludicrous, no?)

one of the most farcical, hideous articles of all time - issued by Consumer Reports no less - basically used this mentality and methodology to compare proteins for "heavy metals" a few yrs back....anyone who was educated on the topic, saw it for the mess it was - but that did not stop the spreading of the nonsense to the massive uneducated folks out there, and I'm sure a great many ppl to this day still have erroneous ideas due to this epic failure in "reporting"

really, it means nothing, except as just another tool to put something into perspective .. using it as the sole unit to compare xyz protein powder to abc powder, however, not so good...

In regards to Calcium Caseinate, after reviewing my comment I mispoke. I incorrectly referred to it as "not a quality" protein source. I do not belive it to be of poor quality. To be more specific, lthough calcium caseinate is a casein protein, to which most assume to be a slow digesting protein, there was a study that found it's assimilation in the body to not be that much slower than whey protein. If a slower rate of absorbption is what one is looking for with a casein, I realize I am making asn assumption here, then calcium caseinate (as a standalone protein source) would not be the best choice for that purpose. However with the added fats in UMP (3.5g/20g protein), the rate of absorbtion of CC in as a whole in UMP is likely moot.

Splitting hairs.....yes, perhaps that is true. However I personally try to limit (notice I did not say eliminate) my exposure to certain things, in so much as I can and/or where I have an easy choice to do so. It just so happens that the supplement industry is such a place where I can easily limit my personal exposure to some of these ingredients.

My preferred protein at the moment is a couple of the products offered by MuscleFeast. Their ingredient profile is free of ingredients that I try to limit as well as being naturally sweetened. You may say avoiding artificial sweeteners is yet another area where I am splitting hairs and again you may be correct. However since it is easy to do so when choosing my protein I make the choice to limit my exposure of these ingredients in my protein powder as well.
I take no issue with anything else you post here, and in fact I think you may be more ahead of the game here, than the average forum member - that is a compliment, in case you thought I was being cheeky or condescending once again

cheers, take care

turff49

turff49

Awards
I've enjoyed reading this discussion!

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
beverly makes some awesome protein flavors....but looks like i'm on my own boat and don't tend to use blends

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
i'm really a pretty amicable guy, despite the hoopla you may hear about me ;)

cheers, take care
Thank you for your comments and discussion. I appreciate the time you take to share your knowledge and information on these forums.

Cheers :)

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
Premium blend by Muscle Feast. One sale you can get a 5lb container for I think $50.

1/3 of each: whey protein hydrolized, isolate, and then casien.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Premium blend by Muscle Feast. One sale you can get a 5lb container for I think $50.

1/3 of each: whey protein hydrolized, isolate, and then casien.
I might look into this. Is MF a reputable company? I have never heard of them before.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
no longer work for them, yet the message remains the same...not sold on blends
You want increased nitrogen retention in muscle correct? Casein has been shown to do this. You want to sustain anabolism/mTOR increase correct? A blend does this.

I suppose alternatively you can add like 2 grams of extra leucine into your casein and that would probably illicit a similar effect (getting that quick mTOR spike from the leucine and then sustaining it due to the casein). However, then you’re missing out of the peptides/micro-fractions which isn’t very well understood ASFAIK but they appear to be beneficial (I think there’s a study, granted done on mice, that is pretty recent where they matched the amino content but one group was fed freeform aminos whilst the other was fed peptide bonded aminos, aka intact proteins, the protein fed group resulted in more positive body comp, thus suggesting ideally you would want the aminos to be peptide bonded or there may be other factors in play, but intact proteins would be more beneficial).

Thus, again, a blended protein would be superior. No idea why you would want to stick to just whey because that goes in and out of your system rather quickly so you’re missing out on the sustained anabolism effect you would get with the blend.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
a blended protein would be superior. No idea why you would want to stick to just whey because that goes in and out of your system rather quickly so you’re missing out on the sustained anabolism effect you would get with the blend.
if this is your sole reasoning, it is faulty in overall context, and geared only to those whose eating habits may concurrently facilitate longer periods w/o eating where this may be attractive..
it does not, however, become any kind of a guiding nor definitive be-all/end-all statement

personally I like blends, and I may even roll with a blend before bed - but eating the mass amount of cals I do daily, and not being particular fond of huge meals or going w/o food for long periods of time, I eat 7-8-9x daily sometimes, every 2.5hrs roughly speaking (and sometimes every 2hrs)..
for my endeavors, an isolate is just fine, no? and is typically what I utilize more often than not..

you also make no distinction to the segment of guys who add protein to a whole food meal (again I do this quite often myself)..
if I am having small portion of ground turkey or lean beef, with some black beans and some rice (and of course the green veggie on the side) - where is addtl "benefit" you speak in adding a blended protein to this feeding, vs, adding a simple isolate or plain concentrate?

much like I think guys look at wrong things on labels, I think others get all caught up in arguing moot points that may exist in isolated cases, but surely mean absolutely nothing in clamoring for all-inclusive understanding and thus making a dictated "principle" of understanding such as this (blend) is better than that (isolate)

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
^^^ Tried Beverly? heard its GOAT
it's pretty damn good, for sure
bev has some of the best flavorings - I fell in love with the flavoring systems those guys had yrs ago, back when I used a lot of Ultra Size (r.i.p.) .. why they ever discontinued that one is beyond me, I am still heartbroken

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
it's pretty damn good, for sure
bev has some of the best flavorings - I fell in love with the flavoring systems those guys had yrs ago, back when I used a lot of Ultra Size (r.i.p.) .. why they ever discontinued that one is beyond me, I am still heartbroken
Never tried it but i agree Beverly's CnC is godly.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
if this is your sole reasoning, it is faulty in overall context, and geared only to those whose eating habits may concurrently facilitate longer periods w/o eating where this may be attractive..
it does not, however, become any kind of a guiding nor definitive be-all/end-all statement

personally I like blends, and I may even roll with a blend before bed - but eating the mass amount of cals I do daily, and not being particular fond of huge meals or going w/o food for long periods of time, I eat 7-8-9x daily sometimes, every 2.5hrs roughly speaking (and sometimes every 2hrs)..
for my endeavors, an isolate is just fine, no? and is typically what I utilize more often than not..

you also make no distinction to the segment of guys who add protein to a whole food meal (again I do this quite often myself)..
if I am having small portion of ground turkey or lean beef, with some black beans and some rice (and of course the green veggie on the side) - where is addtl "benefit" you speak in adding a blended protein to this feeding, vs, adding a simple isolate or plain concentrate?

much like I think guys look at wrong things on labels, I think others get all caught up in arguing moot points that may exist in isolated cases, but surely mean absolutely nothing in clamoring for all-inclusive understanding and thus making a dictated "principle" of understanding such as this (blend) is better than that (isolate)
Nah, wasn't implying it to be the final say on the matter ;) Lots of other variables in play as well for making progress.

However, when pricing is more or less the same for the protein powders at the time one is shopping for protein powders, why not go for the blends to provide just a little extra bang for the buck ;)

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Best post of the thread. You have received some reputation points from T-bone!.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Best post of the thread. You have received some reputation points from T-bone!.
I agree - too many people major in minors. I see the benefits of a mixed protein, but in many situations I think whey would still be superior to be honest.

Even the studies listed on the Select write-up aren't 100% applicable to the real world. For me, I ONLY use protein powders around my workouts...before/during/after and not necessarily all 3 of those, but some combination. About 1-2 hours after my workout I usually eat a relatively large meal. None of the studies accommodate for these "real life" scenarios. They are merely an examination of drinking nothing but whey vs. drinking a blend. The fact of the matter is, most of us are blending protein already - eggs, meat, fish, milk, cheese, yogurt, you name it.

Granted, casein has its strong points and increases certain metabolic responses, but you can get this from whole foods too....people look to their protein supplement as if it will make or break something, and really it is such a small part of the big picture. I bet there are guys who have become ripped and huge that don't even use powders...

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I agree - too many people major in minors. I see the benefits of a mixed protein, but in many situations I think whey would still be superior to be honest.

Even the studies listed on the Select write-up aren't 100% applicable to the real world. For me, I ONLY use protein powders around my workouts...before/during/after and not necessarily all 3 of those, but some combination. About 1-2 hours after my workout I usually eat a relatively large meal. None of the studies accommodate for these "real life" scenarios. They are merely an examination of drinking nothing but whey vs. drinking a blend. The fact of the matter is, most of us are blending protein already - eggs, meat, fish, milk, cheese, yogurt, you name it.

Granted, casein has its strong points and increases certain metabolic responses, but you can get this from whole foods too....people look to their protein supplement as if it will make or break something, and really it is such a small part of the big picture. I bet there are guys who have become ripped and huge that don't even use powders...
This here would disagree with you: http://suppversity.blogspot.de/2014/04/when-whey-casein-unite-in-spirit-of.html

Let's say that your purpose is for preworkout. You still shouldn’t drink that whey pre, it’s not really going to benefit you before training as it still takes time to make it through into circulation. Let’s say you use the whey intra, again, what is the point when it’s not really doing what it is supposed to be doing as quickly as one would want it to be. Let’s say you just want some post workout nutrition, again, a blend would be superior.

If you were to be doing what Snagency was doing, one really has to question why the heck you’re getting in a shake with your meal. Just to get more protein in? Eat more protein then, why toss in a shake then? Especially an isolate. If one is using that isolate to spike mTOR and for the meal to help sustain that upregulation of mTOR, why not just dose some leucine before the meal instead? Does the same thing.

The “real life” scenario is that if you are to use protein powders, why not use what is likely going to be the most beneficial especially when pricing is going to be the same (always buy this stuff on sale people!). If you’re going to use it, squeeze the best bang for your buck out of it.

It’s actually completely nonsensical to go about it with the mindset of “I’m already eating a bunch of slow digesting proteins, so I should use a quick absorbing protein as my protein powder.” What sense does that make when the blend will give you the mTOR response of the straight whey AND have additional benefits ESPECIALLY when you can get it at basically the same price as the whey and CERTAINLY in MOST cases CHEAPER than the whey isolate?

At the end of the day, it's preference. I personally just suggest to get the best bang for buck when presented as equally priced option.

If you REALLY were to break it down to "real world," it would STILL suggest the blend being superior because it's STILL giving you what a straight whey would give you but some extra bang for the same $$$ as well. In the REAL world, it's always better to get more value for your dollar. That's the real world IMO (just my opinion).

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This here would disagree with you: http://suppversity.blogspot.de/2014/04/when-whey-casein-unite-in-spirit-of.html

Let's say that your purpose is for preworkout. You still shouldn’t drink that whey pre, it’s not really going to benefit you before training as it still takes time to make it through into circulation. Let’s say you use the whey intra, again, what is the point when it’s not really doing what it is supposed to be doing as quickly as one would want it to be. Let’s say you just want some post workout nutrition, again, a blend would be superior.

If you were to be doing what Snagency was doing, one really has to question why the heck you’re getting in a shake with your meal. Just to get more protein in? Eat more protein then, why toss in a shake then? Especially an isolate. If one is using that isolate to spike mTOR and for the meal to help sustain that upregulation of mTOR, why not just dose some leucine before the meal instead? Does the same thing.

The “real life” scenario is that if you are to use protein powders, why not use what is likely going to be the most beneficial especially when pricing is going to be the same (always buy this stuff on sale people!). If you’re going to use it, squeeze the best bang for your buck out of it.

It’s actually completely nonsensical to go about it with the mindset of “I’m already eating a bunch of slow digesting proteins, so I should use a quick absorbing protein as my protein powder.” What sense does that make when the blend will give you the mTOR response of the straight whey AND have additional benefits ESPECIALLY when you can get it at basically the same price as the whey and CERTAINLY in MOST cases CHEAPER than the whey isolate?

At the end of the day, it's preference. I personally just suggest to get the best bang for buck when presented as equally priced option.

If you REALLY were to break it down to "real world," it would STILL suggest the blend being superior because it's STILL giving you what a straight whey would give you but some extra bang for the same $$$ as well. In the REAL world, it's always better to get more value for your dollar. That's the real world IMO (just my opinion).
You sure do like contradicting yourself don't you?. Talk about nonsensical....

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You sure do like contradicting yourself don't you?.
Here’s another one: http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2014/06/protein-blends-not-isolates-promote.html

Again, the benefits here is to get that high spike of aminos and then trying to sustain it. The blends are going to perform both these functions and costs the same as whey if you do a little price shopping and for sure cheaper than quality isolates. So is it really just a matter of caring too much about the minutia or is it just smarter shopping for value here? I say the latter.

I don't see how I was contradicting myself. The post you replied to noted that BCAAs are counterproductive. That does not contradict my comment about using leucine before a meal if your goal is to get that mTOR response and have the protein meal you have afterwards sustain the anabolism. You only need about 2 grams of leucine to illicit the mTOR response optimally. That is a far cry compared to how BCAAs were being shown in the study I’ve linked earlier.

The link I've provided earlier, that study shows protein wasting due to having added the freeform AAs TO the whey. What that effectively is doing is giving you a huge spike in AA levels in a short span of time. That does indeed induce protein wasting. Which is the same reason why it’s probably not a good idea to pound down like a 60 gram of protein whey shake in one go.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Kissdadookie - I hear you loud and clear man. I'm not against you per se, I'm just pointing out that the difference is probably not that big. I'm not taking my whey protein during my training so that I have aminos in my blood stream while I train. Straight BCAA's would be better pre-workout for that. I'm taking it to make sure I have protein coming in after my workout. When I can afford it, I mix in pepto-pro or BCAAs ...but I can't always afford that. Certainly a blend doesn't help here.

The casein post-workout has a potential benefit. But, if I'm taking whey and then eating a big meal with loads more protein, I'm going to have a lot of aminos floating around for use.

And a whey isolate will have very few calories for that protein. For 25 grams of protein on a whey isolate I'll be looking at under 120 calories total, even with a lesser isolate, and select is the ONLY blend I've found that matches that, and Select IS more expensive than most of the isolates I've seen when they go on sale....but not a lot. This is the reason I use a whey when I use it - it just happens to be cheaper.

But my argument applies to you too - if it's cheaper, or about the same, I will use it when that is the case - because the effects will probably be similar or slightly better. I just don't think the difference is going to be profound and buying it just because it is a blend and never using straight whey is throwing the baby out with the bath water. Whey is good stuff. It used to be egg white was considered the BEST protein, until whey came along. Now it's a blend ....great. I don't think most people started getting the size of Arnold because they suddenly had whey protein and all he ever used was egg white protein...

Select has a good deal going right now and it's not much more than a whey isolate so I grabbed it and had my first shake yesterday....it is delicious even in water and I'm happy with the blend. I'm not afraid of straight whey either though......

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I do not see why its so important, if you meet your protein intake in the 24 hour period if you use a blend or a whey protein the difference would be minimal.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
If you were to be doing what Snagency was doing, one really has to question why the heck you’re getting in a shake with your meal. Just to get more protein in? Eat more protein then, why toss in a shake then?
when you are consuming upwards of 400-500g protein daily, you can come talk to me about "just eat more protein" then ;)
it's not as simple as you appear to believe - and convenience as well is a plus ... make no mistake however: anybody who knows me or my philosophies, knows I prefer solid whole food sources of protein to powders, any day - it's just not that simple to consume that much clean food daily, and I like to have a variety of things to whet my palate
Especially an isolate. If one is using that isolate to spike mTOR and for the meal to help sustain that upregulation of mTOR, why not just dose some leucine before the meal instead? Does the same thing.
#1 - my leucine doesn't have as many cals as my protein shake (and I do not count cals from straight aminos anyway)...again - I eat a lot of food and cal intake is fairly substantial...powders help me not only boost protein but also boost total cals
#2 - it isn't always isolate as I say, but that is not the reason I use isolate a lot - rather, it is for the lactose-free processing, as I am sensitive to too much lactose ... when I use something else as protein powder source with a meal, it is to top off my carbs or fat designation for that particular meal, while also getting some addtl protein in

again - when you can consume 6000 cals on average daily (and now closer to 7k on daily basis), and keep those cals all clean for the majority of the week, and day in and day out, then maybe you can have a conversation with me about dietary discretion and structure

until then, stop assuming so many things! that is not always a good thing

I do not see why its so important, if you meet your protein intake in the 24 hour period if you use a blend or a whey protein the difference would be minimal.
pretty much this
end message: stop getting caught up in the inconsequential!

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
KDD: can you summarize all of your posts after writing them at the top of each post looking forward? :D

I'm sure I agree with you on most things, but goodness, I don't have the patience to find out.

ddfox

ddfox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Doesn't "amino spiking" with glycine & taurine throw off the % ratio of protein?

Isn't the quality of the protein more important than the % per scoop?

I'd rather have 20g protein from a great blend than 24g from a protein with added cheap aminos.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
Doesn't "amino spiking" with glycine & taurine throw off the % ratio of protein?

Isn't the quality of the protein more important than the %?
Yes it does. However,I hope most of the readers here are smart enough to avoid those types of products.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
give this man a cigar :bandit:
now we're getting to more of what should be looked at - as well as processing methods

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
when you are consuming upwards of 400-500g protein daily, you can come talk to me about "just eat more protein" then ;)
it's not as simple as you appear to believe - and convenience as well is a plus ... make no mistake however: anybody who knows me or my philosophies, knows I prefer solid whole food sources of protein to powders, any day - it's just not that simple to consume that much clean food daily, and I like to have a variety of things to whet my palate
#1 - my leucine doesn't have as many cals as my protein shake (and I do not count cals from straight aminos anyway)...again - I eat a lot of food and cal intake is fairly substantial...powders help me not only boost protein but also boost total cals
#2 - it isn't always isolate as I say, but that is not the reason I use isolate a lot - rather, it is for the lactose-free processing, as I am sensitive to too much lactose ... when I use something else as protein powder source with a meal, it is to top off my carbs or fat designation for that particular meal, while also getting some addtl protein in

again - when you can consume 6000 cals on average daily (and now closer to 7k on daily basis), and keep those cals all clean for the majority of the week, and day in and day out, then maybe you can have a conversation with me about dietary discretion and structure

until then, stop assuming so many things! that is not always a good thing

pretty much this
end message: stop getting caught up in the inconsequential!
Excellent points :D

Calories are going to important, so definitely point taken on that account.

KDD: can you summarize all of your posts after writing them at the top of each post looking forward? :D

I'm sure I agree with you on most things, but goodness, I don't have the patience to find out.
You know, I never thought of that. That's a mighty fine idea!

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I'd rather have 20g protein from a great blend than 24g from a protein with added cheap aminos.
Some people will argue who cares, you're only missing out on a few grams of protein. From the spiked ones out there. One, we don't know how much it threw off the total count. Two, personally, if I am paying for 24 grams, I want 24 grams per scoop. I'm not going to pay $3.60 for a gallon of gas that is diluted with water, to make a comparison.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Some people will argue who cares, you're only missing out on a few grams of protein. From the spiked ones out there. One, we don't know how much it threw off the total count. Two, personally, if I am paying for 24 grams, I want 24 grams per scoop. I'm not going to pay $3.60 for a gallon of gas that is diluted with water, to make a comparison.
Does not look good for their business or their ethics either. Some companies have been found guilty of it more than one time in the past as well.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Does not look good for their business or their ethics either. Some companies have been found guilty of it more than one time in the past as well.

Seriously?. Come on now!. Are you still holding a grudge against that guy for some reason?. Let it go already. So the guy got arrested, so what?. You always seem to bring it up.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Seriously?. Come on now!. Are you still holding a grudge against that guy for some reason?. Let it go already. So the guy got arrested, so what?. You always seem to bring it up.
It was not my picture dude relax I saw it on another website