Protein and coming food cost inflation.

R1187

R1187

Awards
  • Established
Not sure if the "conspiracy theories" will pan out to be true, but I think maybe they could. The 5lb tubs selling on Amazon for $40 or so, will they be $70 or $80 by this summer or fall? Is anyone else stocking up on protein powders assuming they will soon become way more expensive?

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yes, they have no choice but to be. Even for the biggest brands out there, a typical 2lb tub costs $20 now to produce. So once they deplete stock of those cheaper 5lb and 2lb ones you will see the price changes.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
If food and supplements start inflating then I eliminate all supplements and go basic.

Rice, pasta, oats, fruit and vegetables and just enough meat to reach my protein needs.

Honestly tho, I don't think food prices are going to get too out of control

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Also, if your big on protein powder then just buy 20lbs now while prices are reasonable

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
If food and supplements start inflating then I eliminate all supplements and go basic.

Rice, pasta, oats, fruit and vegetables and just enough meat to reach my protein needs.

Honestly tho, I don't think food prices are going to get too out of control
biden says to expect 'real' food shortages...of course he is brain dead and lies a lot so there's that...but russia did cut off fertilizer exports to US and 96% of US potassium fertilizer is imported from russia....my bet is that food prices are going to go much higher....plus ukraine is a major exporter of food-over 12% of all food calories consumed globally, and this will need to be made up...yes, i would bet money food prices are going to go up substantially.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
biden says to expect 'real' food shortages...of course he is brain dead and lies a lot so there's that...but russia did cut off fertilizer exports to US and 96% of US potassium fertilizer is imported from russia....my bet is that food prices are going to go much higher....plus ukraine is a major exporter of food-over 12% of all food calories consumed globally, and this will need to be made up...yes, i would bet money food prices are going to go up substantially.
Grains are the main thing that will be impacted by Russia. Rice, oats potatoes, fruit, vegetables, meat ect should all be effected to a much lesser degree.

Of course I don't know anything for certain, but im not overly worried.

Sandwiches will be a luxury item tho lol

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
On a side note, how much longer do you guys think the Russia thing is gonna go on for. Genuine question. What's y'all's thoughts

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Grains are the main thing that will be impacted by Russia. Rice, oats potatoes, fruit, vegetables, meat ect should all be effected to a much lesser degree.

Of course I don't know anything for certain, but im not overly worried.

Sandwiches will be a luxury item tho lol
in 2021 the US imported $1.28 billion of fertilizer from russia--russia has stopped export of fertilizer to US...plus grains are a mainstay for livestock-meat, including chicken.

i mean i would have no problem betting my maximum of 50 cents that the increase in food prices is going to be substantial if you care to wager?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
in 2021 the US imported $1.28 billion of fertilizer from russia--russia has stopped export of fertilizer to US...plus grains are a mainstay for livestock-meat, including chicken.

i mean i would have no problem betting my maximum of 50 cents that the increase in food prices is going to be substantial if you care to wager?
Lol. Well, I hope your wrong. I don't wanna be forced into veganism. Il be living on rice and beans

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Lol. Well, I hope your wrong. I don't wanna be forced into veganism. Il be living on rice and beans
without fertilizer good luck on getting rice and beans...i suggest making potash and growing a organic garden--but be careful of thieves...
go on and google it--'biden says coming food shortages is 'real'...can't believe he would say this if it wasn't a real threat?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
without fertilizer good luck on getting rice and beans...i suggest making potash and growing a organic garden--but be careful of thieves...
go on and google it--'biden says coming food shortages is 'real'...can't believe he would say this if it wasn't a real threat?
I have 3 gardens, compost piles too. I'm good with vegetables from may through September

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I have 3 gardens
so what, i have over 30 guns...your gardens are only as good as your ability to protect them--hunger is one hell of a motivator.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
so what, i have over 30 guns...your gardens are only as good as your ability to protect them--hunger is one hell of a motivator.
I get that, but there's a big difference between some inflation and the Apocalypse lol. I also have guns. But I don't think that's even reasonable to assume I need to stop people from forcefully invading my garden lol

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
If **** hit the fan like that your taking about dooms day stuff. In that case I'm grabbing the guns and some friends and we're taking over the local grocery store

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
If **** hit the fan like that your taking about dooms day stuff. In that case I'm grabbing the guns and some friends and we're taking over the local grocery store
i bet there will be a long line in front of you...it won't take much for shyt to hit the fan if food shortages start to happen--just think black friday sales and how violent people get over a fvcking tv set.

city folks are gonna be fucked.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
i bet there will be a long line in front of you...it won't take much for shyt to hit the fan if food shortages start to happen--just think black friday sales and how violent people get over a fvcking tv set.

city folks are gonna be fucked.
If things went post apocalypse style I have no problem eliminating that line. I think of myself as a good person but desperate times mean desperate measures.

This is not going to happen tho. Prices are going up but our country is not going into a apocalypse style frenzy

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
If things went post apocalypse style I have no problem eliminating that line. I think of myself as a good person but desperate times mean desperate measures.

This is not going to happen tho. Prices are going up but our country is not going into a apocalypse style frenzy
'north american fertilizer shortage sparks fear of higher food prices and shortages'
'fertilizer shortage may lead to scramble on north american farms'
'energy crisis will trigger a food shortage'
'nitrogen fertilizer shortage to force US farmers to scale back'
'iowa farmers fear fertilizer shortage'
'american fertilizer shortage confirms that food prices will skyrocket'

if people go into a frenzy over black friday hdtv's imagine what they will do for a pound of ground chuck when their belly is empty?

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Fertilizer is going to hurt farmers bad, equally the price of chemicals for spraying and let’s not forget about the price of fuel. Last study I read was average farming practice takes 4-6 gallons a acre. 2019 study showed the us has 900.2 million acres of actual farm land. The math is scary.

So I figured just say a average 4 gallons a acre, then let’s go low say diesel (farm diesel dyed no road tax) 4$, and let’s just use 900 million acres.

Grand total- fourteen billion four hundred million

Screwtape

Screwtape

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just brought a 45lb bag of whey protein because the price of whey isolate is about to increase where I am (New Zealand).

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
lets go brandon
...um..no....Has....... zero to do with the president and keep in mind the prices started going up in spring 2020 (Trump).

This all started in mid 2020 but many supplement shops and small brands were not aware unless they were some of the major players constantly moving product and always reordering and seeing the increases.

As a brand owner myself, I have seen protein go up almost triple. What I mean is a 53 foot truck of 47,000 pounds of whey protein protein isolate (wpi90) used to cost around $200,000 now would cost about $450,000+ ...that's just the raw powder on pallets.

So costs have to be passed on.

5lb tubs will be a thing of the past soon or $150 retail.

2lb whey protein isolate on the shelves will be close to $50-$60 and some are already there. Many supplement shops will have to stop selling many brands of proteins.

Any lower cost 2lb tubs are usually amino spiked or filled with milk powder and minimal whey protein isolate by very unethical brands. Lots of garbage out there from VERY well known brands.

We recently tested a sample of wpi90 100% whey protein isolate that ended up being 50% maltodextrin and crap!! and 50% wpi. So your 25gm scoop of whey protein is really 12.5gms and those brands keep prices reasonable and mislead the consumer.

Now the other issue is that maltodextrin prices have also skyrocketed so soon brands can't use that to cut protein anymore so they will use crap milk powder and very low grade wpi60 which I think they add to those cheap cereal breakfast bars at the supermarket or maybe they add it to dog food lol. But the brands will claim its wpi90.

It costs the typical manufacturer $19 per 2lb whey protein and that's before cost of flavoring, tub, labels, etc etc. So do the math. $22/tub at cost from the *manufacturer* not the brand. Now the brand has to pay their manufacturer for that protein and charge way way more to the consumer.

If the prices out there are too good to be true then you know that 50% of the product is garbage .

So who do we blame? US based dairy companies. Those scumbags are screwing the American brand owners but hey...capitalism bruh!

Why are prices up?

China has bought out, and continues to buy out U.S. made whey to use as pig feed to help rebuild their pig population after it was wiped out from swine flu. In addition, cheese manufacturing has been down. No cheese, no whey. Add to that the increased cost of plastics and freight and we have the perfect storm to disrupt the market..

US dairy manufacturers allocate like 90% of whey to sell to China because they pay so much, and then they leave the Aemrican brands and manufacturers fighting for the remaining 10%.

So there's the enemy.

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
That's nitrogen ^ but the largest deposits of potash (potassium fertilizer) are in Canada. Israel is another big producer.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
This is the same thing that we as Americans always do, we see that something is about to happen and it turns into mass hysteria. Prices are going to go up and prices are going to go down just like they always do it's going to spike for a little while and then it's going to go back down. No one's going to be breaking into your house and robbing your deep freezer or stealing the crops out of your gardens

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Except for the old man nextdoor to me, the bastard steals my first round of tomatoes every year

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
on another note... WA state says they are aiming to ban ALL nonelectric vehicles by 2030. :mad:

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
...um..no....Has....... zero to do with the president and keep in mind the prices started going up in spring 2020 (Trump).

This all started in mid 2020 but many supplement shops and small brands were not aware unless they were some of the major players constantly moving product and always reordering and seeing the increases.

As a brand owner myself, I have seen protein go up almost triple. What I mean is a 53 foot truck of 47,000 pounds of whey protein protein isolate (wpi90) used to cost around $200,000 now would cost about $450,000+ ...that's just the raw powder on pallets.

So costs have to be passed on.

5lb tubs will be a thing of the past soon or $150 retail.

2lb whey protein isolate on the shelves will be close to $50-$60 and some are already there. Many supplement shops will have to stop selling many brands of proteins.

Any lower cost 2lb tubs are usually amino spiked or filled with milk powder and minimal whey protein isolate by very unethical brands. Lots of garbage out there from VERY well known brands.

We recently tested a sample of wpi90 100% whey protein isolate that ended up being 50% maltodextrin and crap!! and 50% wpi. So your 25gm scoop of whey protein is really 12.5gms and those brands keep prices reasonable and mislead the consumer.

Now the other issue is that maltodextrin prices have also skyrocketed so soon brands can't use that to cut protein anymore so they will use crap milk powder and very low grade wpi60 which I think they add to those cheap cereal breakfast bars at the supermarket or maybe they add it to dog food lol. But the brands will claim its wpi90.

It costs the typical manufacturer $19 per 2lb whey protein and that's before cost of flavoring, tub, labels, etc etc. So do the math. $22/tub at cost from the *manufacturer* not the brand. Now the brand has to pay their manufacturer for that protein and charge way way more to the consumer.

If the prices out there are too good to be true then you know that 50% of the product is garbage .

So who do we blame? US based dairy companies. Those scumbags are screwing the American brand owners but hey...capitalism bruh!

Why are prices up?

China has bought out, and continues to buy out U.S. made whey to use as pig feed to help rebuild their pig population after it was wiped out from swine flu. In addition, cheese manufacturing has been down. No cheese, no whey. Add to that the increased cost of plastics and freight and we have the perfect storm to disrupt the market..

US dairy manufacturers allocate like 90% of whey to sell to China because they pay so much, and then they leave the Aemrican brands and manufcturers fighting for the remaining 10%.

So there's the enemy.
look here man i went thru 4 fucking years of trump being blamed for everything that was bad...if i want to blame that fucking mentally ill old man sitting in the white house i have every right to do so...remember not my president--well back atcha.

fuckjoebiden.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
According to this, we already produce more fertilizer than Russia here in the US.

Ideally, we could just increase domestic production and maybe make up the difference from a few places other than Russia while we ramp up.

then what are farmers worried about--all is good and prices of food are going to drop, right?

we should be lucky to have such a great man as joe biden to lead us🦸‍♂️...dang, i will sleep well knowing this country is in the hands of such a competent man like joe biden--whoopee

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
then what are farmers worried about--all is good and prices of food are going to drop, right?

we should be lucky to have such a great man as joe biden to lead us🦸‍♂️...dang, i will sleep well knowing this country is in the hands of such a competent man like joe biden--whoopee
I don't know about all that. I just think there are possibilities for averting some of the worst-case scenarios you were describing.

But yeah, f$ck Joe Biden. I used to really like raving.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I don't know about all that. I just think there are possibilities for averting some of the worst-case scenarios you were describing.

But yeah, f$ck Joe Biden. I used to really like raving.
you remember when you couldn't find toilet paper because people were hoarding it?

imo, it was a bonehead move for biden to advertise upcoming food shortages--
bloomberg-'biden say's to expect food shortages'
farm policy news-'it's going to be real' biden on food shortages.
yahoo news-biden says food shortages are 'going to be real'

i try to restrain myself from calling biden names because to me it is obvious he is suffering from mental illness, but those responsible for enabling him to continue are 💩

btw-where is Robert Mueller?

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
you remember when you couldn't find toilet paper because people were hoarding it?

imo, it was a bonehead move for biden to advertise upcoming food shortages--
bloomberg-'biden say's to expect food shortages'
farm policy news-'it's going to be real' biden on food shortages.
yahoo news-biden says food shortages are 'going to be real'

i try to restrain myself from calling biden names because to me it is obvious he is suffering from mental illness, but those responsible for enabling him to continue are 💩

btw-where is Robert Mueller?
I never had a problem getting TP but as I've said before CT is a weird place.

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
look here man i went thru 4 fucking years of trump being blamed for everything that was bad...if i want to blame that fucking mentally ill old man sitting in the white house i have every right to do so...remember not my president--well back atcha.

fuckjoebiden.
Yeah, I'm not sure what that's all about, nor do I care about political stuff on this forum. I'm just letting you know so in case you decide to blame somebody or an entity that has nothing to do with it, like for instance, China ....just understand this is capitalism (which is a good thing).

If we need to blame anyone it’s the US dairy companies for screwing us.

But yeah, does anyone blame them? But doesn't mean we have to like them.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, I'm not sure what that's all about, nor do I care about political stuff on this forum. I'm just letting you know so in case you decide to blame somebody or an entity that has nothing to do with it, like for instance, China ....just understand this is capitalism (which is a good thing).

If we need to blame anyone it’s the US dairy companies for screwing us.

But yeah, does anyone blame them? But doesn't mean we have to like them.
i know a guy who owns a dairy farm and is always complaining about all the restrictions government is putting on small privately owned dairy farms and private farms in general-and he has been complaining about this even before trump...

livestock eat grains, if there are less and higher priced grains it's hard to blame dairy farmers for this...we need to support private farmers, they need our support.

and btw-fuckchinatoo.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
i know a guy who owns a dairy farm and is always complaining about all the restrictions government is putting on small privately owned dairy farms and private farms in general-and he has been complaining about this even before trump...

livestock eat grains, if there are less and higher priced grains it's hard to blame dairy farmers for this...we need to support private farmers, they need our support.

and btw-fuckchinatoo.
edit-i talked to the guy i know who owns a small dairy farm and he said to tell you to go fvck yourself..he sells whole unprocessed milk to large outfits for processing and gets pennies on the dollar of what processed milk sells for retail, and this includes milk products/by-products like protein powder...he is struggling just to keep his farm going so if you think he is getting rich you are fucking crazy.....just sayin

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
edit-i talked to the guy i know who owns a small dairy farm and he said to tell you to go fvck yourself..he sells whole unprocessed milk to large outfits for processing and gets pennies on the dollar of what processed milk sells for retail, and this includes milk products/by-products like protein powder...he is struggling just to keep his farm going so if you think he is getting rich you are fucking crazy.....just sayin
Hey well that's your problem if you're talking to a farmer. Who the heck told you to talk to a farmer lol and who's talking about farmers?

Companies like these not farmers.

Last edited:
thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Hey well that's your problem if you're talking to a farmer. Who the heck told you to talk to a farmer lol and who's talking about farmers?

Companies like these not farmers.

i live around farmers and talk to them often, several of my family members are farmers....farmers need our support, they are really struggling...

i misread your post, and i apologize, i'm just very defensive when it comes to farmers....sorry for my error:confused:

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i live around farmers and talk to them often, several of my family members are farmers....farmers need our support, they are really struggling...

i misread your post, and i apologize, i'm just very defensive when it comes to farmers....sorry for my error:confused:
Oh..come on man now you make me feel bad lol but yeah no worries...

Screwtape

Screwtape

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How much of the price increases is due to inflation and supply chain issues, and how much is due to straight up price gouging?

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
How much of the price increases is due to inflation and supply chain issues, and how much is due to straight up price gouging?
Mostly legit sprinkled with some gouging for sure.