Progesterone and Prolactin

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
sethroberts said,

marco asked:

I'm not trying to put you on the spot, or anything, but you've stated that you're "not a fan" of AI's. I was wondering what you would recommend instead of AI's, if anything at all.
Sorry -- trying to respond to everything. Of course keeping doses as low as needed to have an effect will help. Other than that, I would use nolvadex. Nolvadex reduces estrogen receptor stimulation, keeps SHBG levels up and helps with blood lipids a little.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Seth- I know you don't agree with PP's article, but do YOU feel there is considerable risk using nolva for extended periods of time(ie.16-20wks)? Or are they over stated in that sort of time frame, and generally only an issue in prolonged use?

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
Seth- I know you don't agree with PP's article, but do YOU feel there is considerable risk using nolva for extended periods of time(ie.16-20wks)? Or are they over stated in that sort of time frame, and generally only an issue in prolonged use?
I think the dangers of nolva are largely overstated -- mostly by people trying to sell something as a dietary supplement for on or post-cycle therapy. That being said, the risk of adverse events generally goes up in frequency as the dose and duration are increased. I would not use Nolva for 20 weeks -- I would also be cautious about combining it with oral AAS since nolva can cause some liver tox.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I think the dangers of nolva are largely overstated -- mostly by people trying to sell something as a dietary supplement for on or post-cycle therapy. That being said, the risk of adverse events generally goes up in frequency as the dose and duration are increased. I would not use Nolva for 20 weeks -- I would also be cautious about combining it with oral AAS since nolva can cause some liver tox.
I hear ya, it is hard for me to wrap my head around an article, with such scare tactics, when advertising a generally unproven, over the counter supplement to do the job of actual pharmaceuticals.

As for the 20wks, i was figuring if you ran a 14-16wk cycle while using nolva, then ran it for an additional 4wk pct, that would put you up in that range. Maybey longer factoring in any long esters clearing prior to PCT.

Even a 12wk cycle would put you at 16wk min.

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
I hear ya, it is hard for me to wrap my head around an article, with such scare tactics, when advertising a generally unproven, over the counter supplement to do the job of actual pharmaceuticals.

As for the 20wks, i was figuring if you ran a 14-16wk cycle while using nolva, then ran it for an additional 4wk pct, that would put you up in that range. Maybey longer factoring in any long esters clearing prior to PCT.

Even a 12wk cycle would put you at 16wk min.
True and I am sure that nolva is being used for very long periods of time by some users. I probably wouldn't run nolva at the same dose for an entire cycle and then into PCT. But then again, I tend towards more moderate doses which reduces the need for ancillaries. I think there is (perhaps rightfully so) a paranoia about developing gynecomastia so people go overboard and throw everything but the kitchen sink at it in the hopes of warding it off. How many posts do you see with people saying "I just took my third dose of X and my nipples are tingling, itching, sore, full, puffy, leaking when i apply enough pressure to pop my nipple off"

Eric Potratz

Eric Potratz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Show me one shred of evidence that stimulation of the progesterone receptor causes gynecomastia.
Reducing prolactin will reduce stimulation and growth of the mammary gland. (whether it’s PR or ER mediated growth) This is why I advice vitex while on cycle. Vitex also doesn’t carry the same toxic properties as Nolva.

-Eric

Eric Potratz

Eric Potratz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

The dangers from Nolva are equally expressed by articles coming from peer reviewed journals too… Not just from my silly supplement company… the dangers are a reality.

Interesting that you say the “dangers are overstated”, yet you say “I would not use nolva for 20 weeks”…

Contradictory no?

Let me just ask..

Do you think Vitex is ineffective for combating gyno coming from the use of a progestin based anabolic?

-Eric

Eric Potratz

Eric Potratz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I got to say that I agree with Seth in everything he says, it make a lot a sense and for my research , experience and readings on anabolics its all true
reps and I`M going to the store and buy the book, I`ll pay a lot in taxes but what the hell its well worth
I agree with most of what he says too… except his prescription of nolva…

-Eric

repmks

repmks

Awards
  • Established
statements like nolva makes gyno worse while on nandrolone are over all the boards. do you recommend using nolva if symptoms of gynecomastia appear while on nandrolone?

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
Reducing prolactin will reduce stimulation and growth of the mammary gland. (whether it’s PR or ER mediated growth) This is why I advice vitex while on cycle. Vitex also doesn’t carry the same toxic properties as Nolva.

-Eric
There is simply no evidence that prolactin plays a role in gynecomastia -- i.e. the growth of breast tissue. The Williams Text of Endocrinology states and I quote "Prolactin does not play a direct role in gynecomastia" and "this conclusion is in keeping with the fact that prolactin is not a growth hormone for the breast".

Vitex does not carry the same toxic properties as nolva but that does not mean that it is free from potential side effects. Any substance that alters dopamine signalling has the potential to desensitive dopaminergic neurons to dopamine which could result in levated prolactin levels upon cessation due to the loss of inhibitory control.

Do you have any evdiece to the contrary?

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
The dangers from Nolva are equally expressed by articles coming from peer reviewed journals too… Not just from my silly supplement company… the dangers are a reality.

Interesting that you say the “dangers are overstated”, yet you say “I would not use nolva for 20 weeks”…

Contradictory no?

Let me just ask..

Do you think Vitex is ineffective for combating gyno coming from the use of a progestin based anabolic?

-Eric

"The dangers are overstated" does not mean that there are not potential risks with its use. These risks increase with dose and duration as I have previously stated. The greatest dangers from nolva - in my opinion - are liver toxicity and endometrial cancer -- and I don't have a uterus.

I do not think vitex is effective for combating gyno coming from the use of progestin based anabolics because there is not evidence that it is the progesterone receptor activity or the prolactin that is causing the gyno. What are you proposing to be the mechanism of action of vitex efficacy in progestin based gyno? I am open to discussion and new evidence must always be considered if theories are to evolve over time but I am not going to go round and round with you in a circular argument -- either provide evidence outside of anecdotal observations or give us all a break.

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
statements like nolva makes gyno worse while on nandrolone are over all the boards. do you recommend using nolva if symptoms of gynecomastia appear while on nandrolone?
There is a lot of bologni all over the boards. Somebody says something and then everyone repeats it over and over again to appear as if they know something. If gyno symptoms appear, then it may be too late. Do I recommend nolva over treating with something to reduce prolactin in the absence of elevated prolactin? yes.

The statements about nolva are based on the following premises: 1) progesterone receptor stimulation causes gyno 2) nolvadex upregulates progesterone receptors. There is no evidence for #1 and although # 2 may occur in the short term, nolva has been shown to decrease progesterone receptor concentration in the longer term.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
There is a lot of bologni all over the boards. Somebody says something and then everyone repeats it over and over again to appear as if they know something. If gyno symptoms appear, then it may be too late. Do I recommend nolva over treating with something to reduce prolactin in the absence of elevated prolactin? yes.

The statements about nolva are based on the following premises: 1) progesterone receptor stimulation causes gyno 2) nolvadex upregulates progesterone receptors. There is no evidence for #1 and although # 2 may occur in the short term, nolva has been shown to decrease progesterone receptor concentration in the longer term.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20050901/821.html

dont we always use nolva short term anyway, so the long term decrease in PR concentration doesnt apply to how we use it correct?

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established

dont we always use nolva short term anyway, so the long term decrease in PR concentration doesnt apply to how we use it correct?
Depends on how you define short and long term and how you define increased PR expression. I would actually argue that PR downregulation is not desired. Treatment with the progesterone receptor antagonist Mifepristine actually results in gynecomastia probably through the loss of the suppressive effects of progesterone receptor activation on estrogen.

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established

That is an interesting article that you linked to. Did you see these quotes?

A small study involving 20 healthy men showed increased prolactin levels in those receiving a low dose of chasteberry (120 mg per day) but a decrease of prolactin secretion with higher doses (480 mg per day).

Chasteberry also has been used to modify libido, most often to reduce sexual desire but sometimes to improve decreased libido.

Also, did you notice absolutely no mention of treatment of gynecomastia in that article. Additionally, there is no evidence in the scientiific/medical literature of its use for gynecomastia.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yea I just thought I'd put that out there because there was a small discussion on it and you can take from it what u can

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
Yea I just thought I'd put that out there because there was a small discussion on it and you can take from it what u can
Yeah. And I am not telling people to not use vitex or AIs or some combination of those and whatever else you want to take that makes you feel like you are doing the best thing for you. There are risks associated with every substance you put into your body, including over the counter supps and herbs. Everybody has to weigh these risks versus the potential benefits and make an informed decision. I just have not seen any convincing evidence that progesterone or prolactin cause the symptoms of gynecomastia in the absence of elevated estrogen and if elevated estrogen is the root cause, then that is what I want to treat.

Eric Potratz

Eric Potratz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yeah. And I am not telling people to not use vitex or AIs or some combination of those and whatever else you want to take that makes you feel like you are doing the best thing for you. There are risks associated with every substance you put into your body, including over the counter supps and herbs. Everybody has to weigh these risks versus the potential benefits and make an informed decision. I just have not seen any convincing evidence that progesterone or prolactin cause the symptoms of gynecomastia in the absence of elevated estrogen and if elevated estrogen is the root cause, then that is what I want to treat.
Fair statement here.

I’d love to spend the next few hours of my day hunting down abstracts that show prolactin or progestin induce mammary gland growth… but I simply don’t have the opportunity at the moment. (pregnancy = prolactin = breast growth, hello!?)

Trenbolone would theoretically lower circulating estrogen during a cycle by way of negative feedback upon T production, yet gyno is a common occurrence with high doses of this Trenbolone. (obviously, I propose this is related to a direct action on the PR). I think your theory is that sulfate bound E2 is being released over the term of this cycle, and thus stimulating gyno by a lack of ER antagonism from trenbolone?

I suppose this is a possibility (and probably explains part of the problem), but you would be just as hard pressed to find a single silver bullet study to support that statement as I would have trying to find a study showing male gyno being induced by a progestin or a prolactin/progestin combination.

-Eric

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I would caution against "reducing" estrogen as I do think that AIs may be partially to blame. "Controlling" estrogen is preferable and I am partial to SERMS for this purpose. Especially for non-aromatizing or low aromatizing compounds because the reduction in SHBG and the increased "free" estrogens will not be helped by AI's.
whats your opinion on running low dosed- two pumps 2xday td formestane on a tren cycle? formestane is different than most ai's as you well know.

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
Fair statement here.

I’d love to spend the next few hours of my day hunting down abstracts that show prolactin or progestin induce mammary gland growth… but I simply don’t have the opportunity at the moment. (pregnancy = prolactin = breast growth, hello!?)

Trenbolone would theoretically lower circulating estrogen during a cycle by way of negative feedback upon T production, yet gyno is a common occurrence with high doses of this Trenbolone. (obviously, I propose this is related to a direct action on the PR). I think your theory is that sulfate bound E2 is being released over the term of this cycle, and thus stimulating gyno by a lack of ER antagonism from trenbolone?

I suppose this is a possibility (and probably explains part of the problem), but you would be just as hard pressed to find a single silver bullet study to support that statement as I would have trying to find a study showing male gyno being induced by a progestin or a prolactin/progestin combination.

-Eric
That is pretty close. Back conversion of estrone sulfate to estradiol. The estrogen sulfate would be elevated due to decreases in SHBG that accompanies strong androgenic stimulation in the absence of estrogen. This decrease in SHBG also removes the protective effect of SHBG against breast tissue gorwth. Everyone is keen on decreasing SHBG but there are some good papers showing that SHBG actually protects against breast tissue growth beyond its ability to sequestor estrogens.

As I stated earlier in the thread, I was one of the first to put the idea out there that progesterone receptor stimulation may be causing gyno. It was only later that I realized that this is incorrect. Breast growth in pregnancy is probably not a good model for gynecomastia because there are so many hormonal changes going on simultaneously. Prolactin is not a growth factor in the breast and progesterone not only decrease prolactin but also decreases estrogen receptor expression. This is further driven home by the fact that the progesterone antagonist, mifepristone, actually results in gynecomastia. You don't have to search now and this shouldn't be some kind of contest. I have searched extensively on this topic over the years and I am very well-versed in the body of knowledge on the subject but you never know, you may pick a set of search terms that turns up something I haven't.

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
whats your opinion on running low dosed- two pumps 2xday td formestane on a tren cycle? formestane is different than most ai's as you well know.
I am not sure if suicidal AIs are better or worse when it comes down to it. The end result is generally the same, too low levels of estrogen, horrible HDL levels and potential rebound gynecomastia.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I am not sure if suicidal AIs are better or worse when it comes down to it. The end result is generally the same, too low levels of estrogen, horrible HDL levels and potential rebound gynecomastia.
but by it boosting igf-1 secretion, upregulating hpta and decreasing shbg doesn't this make formestane different than most other suicide ai's. and i am talking low dosed.

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
but by it boosting igf-1 secretion, upregulating hpta and decreasing shbg doesn't this make formestane different than most other suicide ai's. and i am talking low dosed.
Maybe but it makes it similar to some competitive AI's

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Maybe but it makes it similar to some competitive AI's
i have to disagree, i feel adding td formestane to my cycles is the best decision ive made regarding ph cycles. ive done propadrol before and many different cycles with formestane included and have no signs of any gyno/prolatin issues. i guess results speak for themselves. nice information though, very interesting.

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
i have to disagree, i feel adding td formestane to my cycles is the best decision ive made regarding ph cycles. ive done propadrol before and many different cycles with formestane included and have no signs of any gyno/prolatin issues. i guess results speak for themselves. nice information though, very interesting.
To each his own. If the reduced HDL levels don't bother you and you don't sufer from rebound gyno then do what works for you.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
To each his own. If the reduced HDL levels don't bother you and you don't sufer from rebound gyno then do what works for you.
well my lipids are just fine, and looking at my join date i guess ive been doing ph cycles for about 3 years now. not that i don't value your information, just it seems inconclusive, imo. i see all these guys with all these symptoms that i don't have, and ive ran a lot more cycles than most of them. the difference is td formestane-i swear by the stuff and it's treated me very well. my bro-science theory is keep estrogen low not dead on cycle and prevent most of these symptoms if not all. low dosed td formestane for the win.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
well my lipids are just fine, and looking at my join date i guess ive been doing ph cycles for about 3 years now. not that i don't value your information, just it seems inconclusive, imo. i see all these guys with all these symptoms that i don't have, and ive ran a lot more cycles than most of them. the difference is td formestane-i swear by the stuff and it's treated me very well. my bro-science theory is keep estrogen low not dead on cycle and prevent most of these symptoms if not all. low dosed td formestane for the win.
What is your HDL post cycle if you don't mind sharing?

What is your on cycle Estradiol? I assume you know since you say "keep it low, not dead"

What is your history with gyno, if any, prior to using TD form?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
What is your HDL post cycle if you don't mind sharing?

What is your on cycle Estradiol? I assume you know since you say "keep it low, not dead"

What is your history with gyno, if any, prior to using TD form?
i don't keep my medical history on hand but i get tested for liver values and lipids 2 times a year, my doc has never raised a concern so i assume they are within normal range- i have been tested while on cycle, post cycle and off cycle and never once have the varied enough for my doc to be concerned. i have test and estrogen tested once a year-all my insurance will pay for and again no concern by my doc-these tests have been done for last 7 years and i have been doing ph's for 3 of them. never had gyno and i use td formestane to keep it that way. sorry if i seem abrassive but i really feel the formestane is why i have none of the symptoms others seem to be having.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i don't keep my medical history on hand but i get tested for liver values and lipids 2 times a year, my doc has never raised a concern so i assume they are within normal range- i have been tested while on cycle, post cycle and off cycle and never once have the varied enough for my doc to be concerned. i have test and estrogen tested once a year-all my insurance will pay for and again no concern by my doc-these tests have been done for last 7 years and i have been doing ph's for 3 of them. never had gyno and i use td formestane to keep it that way. sorry if i seem abrassive but i really feel the formestane is why i have none of the symptoms others seem to be having.
1. Just because your Dr didn't express concern doesn't mean you are in optimal range. My HDL was in the 20's and my dr didn't say ****, as my total choles, and trigs were fine.

2. I have never seen any on-cycle form bloodwork.. How do we even know to what degree it is effecting E2?

3. I am glad to hear you have never gotten gyno symptoms, but since you never had them before TD Form, is it possible you are one of the few to be pretty resilient to gyno?

I can personally say i have ran 500mg test/300mg deca, and 750mg(think i actually touched 1k at one point) test/400mg deca, no AI, or anything to combat estro, and didn't have any gyno symptoms.. Does that mean everyone will have that experience?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
1. Just because your Dr didn't express concern doesn't mean you are in optimal range. My HDL was in the 20's and my dr didn't say ****, as my total choles, and trigs were fine.

2. I have never seen any on-cycle form bloodwork.. How do we even know to what degree it is effecting E2?

3. I am glad to hear you have never gotten gyno symptoms, but since you never had them before TD Form, is it possible you are one of the few to be pretty resilient to gyno?

I can personally say i have ran 500mg test/300mg deca, and 750mg(think i actually touched 1k at one point) test/400mg deca, no AI, or anything to combat estro, and didn't have any gyno symptoms.. Does that mean everyone will have that experience?
look, i never claimed to have science or medical background, but since this is a forum for sharing our experiences i shared mine. all i can say is ive been using ph's for awhile now and i have no symtoms others are reporting, the difference imo is the formestane on cycle. i did not stumble upon formestane, there is a ton of research on it and it has been used for decades for cycles like you have mentioned. take it for what it's worth but i believe in the stuff and will never run a cycle without it.

Dragon13

Dragon13

Awards
  • Established
Show me one shred of evidence that stimulation of the progesterone receptor causes gynecomastia.
Progesterone:

1) http://www.endotext.org/male/male14/male14.html

2) http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=1525645 (sort of, in a round-about way; abstract seems to conclude presence of elevated E and PR receptors contributes to severity of condition)

3) http://www.springerlink.com/content/235p1612528vk68t/

Now here's the thing. All of the above and every other study I could find (of the few out there) also had estrogen linked in in some manner. Also, some of the above are admittedly tenuous links. But the bottom line seems to be estrogen and progesterone work synergistically when it comes to breast growth. IOW, I agree with you that estrogen is the key... sort of. I have concluded that elevated progesterone itself cannot cause gyno, but it can (in a round-about way) in the presence of enough estrogen. I don't think you disagree, seeing as how estrogen is still the key, so here's where I'm going with this.

We've been talking about the Tren compounds here; from what I understand they have an incredible binding affinity for the progesterone receptor. My theory: 1 part of the Tren gyno issue is that the tremendous surge in progesterone can trigger gyno in the presence of normal estrogen levels. You mentioned the breakdwon of SHBG and how it would increase circulating E; this would only serve to exacerbate the problem. So yes, E is the key, but saying progesterone has no role is misleading IMO.

Now on to prolactin. You said this earlier in the thread: "There is no evidence that controlling prolactin will prevent or treat gynecomastia. Many of the issues that are being attributed to prolactin can be explained through other mechanisms."

If this is true please explain why the first 2 links below indicate prolactin is a growth factor for breast enlargement, while the 3rd and 4th, which provide an overview of the symptoms of clinical prolactinoma, list gynecomastia as a symptom (albeit "uncommonly" on the Mayo Clinic link), and the last 3 all list gyno as a symptom of simple hyperprolactinemia.

Prolactin:

1) http://www.springerlink.com/content/nn1424748054t0w4/

2) http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1869171

3) http://neurosurgery.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=212

4) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/prolactinoma/DS00532/DSECTION=symptoms

5) http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/endocrine/hypopit/prolactin.html

6) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperprolactinaemia#Symptoms

7) http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/h/hyperprolactinemia/symptoms.htm

Finally, here's a quote from MedicineNet.com by author Dr. Robert Ferry Jr., MD and his Medical Editor, Dr. Ruchi Mathur, MD, FRCP(C).

What is the normal function of prolactin?

"Prolactin stimulates the breast tissues to enlarge during pregnancy."

I flat-out don't buy the fact the elevated prolactin can't cause gyno. I've run across enough evidence, both anecdotal and not, to not believe otherwise. Perhaps there is a relatiuonship similar to progesterone with E in that eswtrogen is needed in some degree to cause actual breast growth - I don't know. My question from earlier, about whether or not binding the PR receptor could affect prolactin levels, would fit perfectly if it were true. (Tren binding PR = rise in prolactin = part 2 of potential gyno (along with normal E and E+PR issues). Alas, you posted evidence to the contrary - thanks by the way. Now I'm kind of back in the same place I was before: I think prolactin can stimulate gyno (and if not classical gynecomastia in all cases, then certainly nipple discharge, and who wants that either), but I can't explain why prolactin would go up so high on a designer Tren cycle.

I rambled a bit here, hope this all makes sense. Hoping you can respond here, maybe there's something I'm missing.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
look, i never claimed to have science or medical background, but since this is a forum for sharing our experiences i shared mine. all i can say is ive been using ph's for awhile now and i have no symtoms others are reporting, the difference imo is the formestane on cycle. i did not stumble upon formestane, there is a ton of research on it and it has been used for decades for cycles like you have mentioned. take it for what it's worth but i believe in the stuff and will never run a cycle without it.
I understand, but you are giving no info, while making claims like"my bro-science theory is keep estrogen low not dead on cycle and prevent most of these symptoms if not all. low dosed td formestane for the win"

How can you even say that when you don't even know what it is doing to your estradiol?

I have yet to see any bloodwork with Form. Please show me any labs you have found over the years..

Lastly what ph's have you run, while using TD form?

I am not knocking the stuff, as i have used it a few times myself, just to be clear.

Dragon13

Dragon13

Awards
  • Established
There are quite a few papers showing progesterone to reduce prolactin levels -- likely through its suppressive effects on estrogen receptor activation. I pasted abstracts from a couple below. Even medroxyprogesterone, a very potent porgesterone, causes a decease in prolactin receptor levels.

Drugs that interfere with the production or release of dopamine. Antipsychotic medications are well known for causing increased prolactin levels.
Yeah, I knew these latter ones, was kind of hoping for info on PR activation. Very interesting that progesterone reduces prolactin. My theory still has one hole (see above post).

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
Progesterone:

2) http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=1525645 (sort of, in a round-about way; abstract seems to conclude presence of elevated E and PR receptors contributes to severity of condition)

Now here's the thing. All of the above and every other study I could find (of the few out there) also had estrogen linked in in some manner. Also, some of the above are admittedly tenuous links. But the bottom line seems to be estrogen and progesterone work synergistically when it comes to breast growth. IOW, I agree with you that estrogen is the key... sort of. I have concluded that elevated progesterone itself cannot cause gyno, but it can (in a round-about way) in the presence of enough estrogen. I don't think you disagree, seeing as how estrogen is still the key, so here's where I'm going with this.

We've been talking about the Tren compounds here; from what I understand they have an incredible binding affinity for the progesterone receptor. My theory: 1 part of the Tren gyno issue is that the tremendous surge in progesterone can trigger gyno in the presence of normal estrogen levels. You mentioned the breakdwon of SHBG and how it would increase circulating E; this would only serve to exacerbate the problem. So yes, E is the key, but saying progesterone has no role is misleading IMO.

Now on to prolactin. You said this earlier in the thread: "There is no evidence that controlling prolactin will prevent or treat gynecomastia. Many of the issues that are being attributed to prolactin can be explained through other mechanisms."

If this is true please explain why the first 2 links below indicate prolactin is a growth factor for breast enlargement, while the 3rd and 4th, which provide an overview of the symptoms of clinical prolactinoma, list gynecomastia as a symptom (albeit "uncommonly" on the Mayo Clinic link), and the last 3 all list gyno as a symptom of simple hyperprolactinemia.

Prolactin:

5) http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/endocrine/hypopit/prolactin.html

Finally, here's a quote from MedicineNet.com by author Dr. Robert Ferry Jr., MD and his Medical Editor, Dr. Ruchi Mathur, MD, FRCP(C).

I flat-out don't buy the fact the elevated prolactin can't cause gyno. I've run across enough evidence, both anecdotal and not, to not believe otherwise. Perhaps there is a relatiuonship similar to progesterone with E in that eswtrogen is needed in some degree to cause actual breast growth - I don't know. My question from earlier, about whether or not binding the PR receptor could affect prolactin levels, would fit perfectly if it were true. (Tren binding PR = rise in prolactin = part 2 of potential gyno (along with normal E and E+PR issues). Alas, you posted evidence to the contrary - thanks by the way. Now I'm kind of back in the same place I was before: I think prolactin can stimulate gyno (and if not classical gynecomastia in all cases, then certainly nipple discharge, and who wants that either), but I can't explain why prolactin would go up so high on a designer Tren cycle.

I rambled a bit here, hope this all makes sense. Hoping you can respond here, maybe there's something I'm missing.
Firstly, only trenbolone is a strong PR binder, dienolone and nandrolone are not -- they bind but are actually quite weak. The rest of what you wrote (I can address more fully in a little while -- I am heading out at the moment) is more or less correct (there are some things that I will take issue with later) but the whole ball of wax can be summed up by saying that in the absence of elevated estrogen, prolactin and progesterone will not cause gynecomastia so I go back to my original statement that if you control estrogen, then you will limit gyno. If prolactin and or gyno cannot cause gyno in the absence of elevated estrogen then they are not the root cause.

gelin

Awards
^ that's similar to what Bill Roberts has mentioned... tren has a binding affinity for PRs but does not activate them.

Great thread. Appreciate everybody's input.

Dragon13

Dragon13

Awards
  • Established
Firstly, only trenbolone is a strong PR binder, dienolone and nandrolone are not -- they bind but are actually quite weak. The rest of what you wrote (I can address more fully in a little while -- I am heading out at the moment) is more or less correct (there are some things that I will take issue with later) but the whole ball of wax can be summed up by saying that in the absence of elevated estrogen, prolactin and progesterone will not cause gynecomastia so I go back to my original statement that if you control estrogen, then you will limit gyno. If prolactin and or gyno cannot cause gyno in the absence of elevated estrogen then they are not the root cause.
Interesting, thanks seth. However, I'm sure everyone here has seen this post from "guru" Big Cat regarding 19-Norandrosta-4,9-diene-3,17-dione (the active in the Tren designers):

"prohormone that converts to 9-unsaturated nandrolone's. 4,9-diene-19-nor steroids are discussed as a group in the two studies I reference often by Ojasoo and Raynaud, and compared against 4-ene-19-nor and 4,9,11-trien-19-nor steroids. By comparison they are almost as potent progestagenically as the trienes, but their androgenic component is actually lower than that of the 4-ene steroids. That makes them, for a dose that yields equal anabolic effect, considerably more progestagenic and supressive. Its mostly crap. If you want I can probably post some RBA data when I get home."

He would seem to disagree with you.

Secondly, part of what I was saying was that perhaps "Tren gyno" may not necessarily need elevated estrogen to induce it. However, if what you are saying about the 19-nor compound only weakly binding is true... I'm back at square one.

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
Interesting, thanks seth. However, I'm sure everyone here has seen this post from "guru" Big Cat regarding 19-Norandrosta-4,9-diene-3,17-dione (the active in the Tren designers):

"prohormone that converts to 9-unsaturated nandrolone's. 4,9-diene-19-nor steroids are discussed as a group in the two studies I reference often by Ojasoo and Raynaud, and compared against 4-ene-19-nor and 4,9,11-trien-19-nor steroids. By comparison they are almost as potent progestagenically as the trienes, but their androgenic component is actually lower than that of the 4-ene steroids. That makes them, for a dose that yields equal anabolic effect, considerably more progestagenic and supressive. Its mostly crap. If you want I can probably post some RBA data when I get home."

He would seem to disagree with you.

Secondly, part of what I was saying was that perhaps "Tren gyno" may not necessarily need elevated estrogen to induce it. However, if what you are saying about the 19-nor compound only weakly binding is true... I'm back at square one.

The Ojasoo Raynaud paper I am most familiar with(J Steroid Biochem. 1987;27(1-3):255-69) shows dienolone to have an androgen receptor binding affinity equal to tren (and both significantly greater than testosterone) but with 1/6th the binding affinity of the progesterone receptor as trenbolone. I have seen him refer to a 1984 paper but the only paper they published in 1984 (Clin Neuropharmacol. 1984;7(4):325-31.) does not mention dienolone at all.

Another paper (J Comput Aided Mol Des. 1992 Dec;6(6):569-81.) confirms this level of progesterone receptor affinity but shows trenbolone to have much greater AR affintiy that the ojasoo raynaud paper. In this paper, dienolone still has much higher AR activity than testosterone.

Also, as PP pointed out earlier, binding affinity isn't everything. However, I am not aware of any functional assyas published for dienolone that show the level of activity at the progesterone receptor. However, in my opinion it seems very likely that it is not acting as a full agonist.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I understand, but you are giving no info, while making claims like"my bro-science theory is keep estrogen low not dead on cycle and prevent most of these symptoms if not all. low dosed td formestane for the win"

How can you even say that when you don't even know what it is doing to your estradiol?

I have yet to see any bloodwork with Form. Please show me any labs you have found over the years..

Lastly what ph's have you run, while using TD form?

I am not knocking the stuff, as i have used it a few times myself, just to be clear.
ok, first of all if your hdl were that low and your doctor didn't say anything i would find a new doctor ASAP. second how can you say you can't find find any blood work on how it effects estradiol? my GOD man, it was a prescription anti-estrogen breast cancer drug. it was replaced by 2nd generation drugs like nolvadex becuase of poor bio-availability not because it didn't work in iv form. transdermal delivery solved this problem. do some research, it's all over the place, i suggest something called google. btw don't take my word on it, form is recommended for on cycle use by DR.D, DINOII, AND ARTUR L. REA WHO WROTE THE DEFINATIVE ARTICLE ON IT. IT SEEMS APPARENT YOU POSTED TO DISCREDIT ME, BUT I AM NOT ALONE IN ADVOCATING THE USE OF TRANSDERMAL FORM ON CYCLE.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
ok, first of all if your hdl were that low and your doctor didn't say anything i would find a new doctor ASAP. second how can you say you can't find find any blood work on how it effects estradiol? my GOD man, it was a prescription anti-estrogen breast cancer drug. it was replaced by 2nd generation drugs like nolvadex becuase of poor bio-availability not because it didn't work in iv form. transdermal delivery solved this problem. do some research, it's all over the place, i suggest something called google. btw don't take my word on it, form is recommended for on cycle use by DR.D, DINOII, AND ARTUR L. REA WHO WROTE THE DEFINATIVE ARTICLE ON IT. IT SEEMS APPARENT YOU POSTED TO DISCREDIT ME, BUT I AM NOT ALONE IN ADVOCATING THE USE OF TRANSDERMAL FORM ON CYCLE.
Big-T, i actually had some respect for you, but you're sounding like a big fat cry-baby..lol Seems like the form isn't lowering your estrogen enough..

Try READING what i wrote.
I said i have yet to see any blood work..I didn't say it doesn't exist, or i looked specifically for it.. I asked you to post what you have found, since you are the self appointed Form. guru, and clearly have seen bloodwork.. I just want to see bloodwork on an CYCLE, not on some women with breast cancer. I would love to see the impact it has on E2, at certain doses.

Discredit you? When did i ever say form shouldn't be used on cycle? NEVER, said that. I asked you to quantify your claims.. You talk about not driving E2 to low, and then said your E2 is in good range, and i asked what your numbers were, is that too much to ask, when you make claims like that?

I asked perfectly valid questions, per the info you posted. It seems like you got butt hurt, and felt my questions were some sort of attack, rather then just answering the questions.

I never said anything against using an AI on cycle, at all..lol We are not fighting on opposing sides here, I just asked you some simple questions, and rather then answer them, you go on some tangent..

Seems like you are on the defensive.. Seriously, get off the rag dude... It is obvious you can't carry on a mature discussion, without getting defensive, and acting like people are against you. We are all trying to learn here, the more info the better..

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Big-T, i actually had some respect for you, but your sounding like a big fat cry-baby..lol Seems like the form isn't lowering your estrogen enough..

Try READING what i wrote. I said i have yet to see any blood work..I didn't say it doesn't exist.. I asked you to post what you have found, since you are the self appointed Form. guru. I just want to see bloodwork on an CYCLE, not on some women with breast cancer. I would love to see the impact it has on E2, at certain doses.

Discredit you? When did i ever say form shouldn't be used on cycle? NEVER, said that. I asked you to quantify your claims.. You talk about not driving E2 to low, and then said your E2 is in good range, and i asked for proof, is that too much to ask, when you make claims like that?

I asked perfectly valid questions, per the info you posted. It seems like you got butt hurt, and felt my questions were some sort of attack, rather then just answering the questions.

I never said anything against using an AI on cycle, at all..lol Seems like you are on the defensive.. Seriously, get off the rag dude...
ok, i admit to being a little defensive. i am on a xtren/formestane cycle right now. just know what my results have been like. as for being a formestane guru-i found something that is more effective by far than the higher priced stuff or 'hard to get stuff chems', and just passing along how great it's results have been for me.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
ok, i admit to being a little defensive. i am on a xtren/formestane cycle right now. just know what my results have been like. as for being a formestane guru-i found something that is more effective by far than the higher priced stuff or 'hard to get stuff chems', and just passing along how great it's results have been for me.
I just hope you understand, i never got an attitude with you, or had any intention of arguing, and was genuinely asking relevant questions, so we can all get a better idea of what is happening with on cycle form use.. I am not doubting your experiences at all, but trying to get as much of the picture as i can.. Again, the more info we have the better.

I am not against FORM at all, and stated i have used it myself. I just wish i knew more about it in regards to on cycle bloodwork.. From looking at all the HRT threads with people using Adex, we can get an idea of what doses to start at/use, in order to get estradiol where we want it, without squashing it.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
maybe a good on cycle mix would be DIM/I3C mix ED with 6bromo EOD?

keep estradiol low aswell as the freed up estrone sulfate hopefully more undercontrol?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I just hope you understand, i never got an attitude with you, or had any intention of arguing, and was genuinely asking relevant questions, so we can all get a better idea of what is happening with on cycle form use.. I am not doubting your experiences at all, but trying to get as much of the picture as i can.. Again, the more info we have the better.

I am not against FORM at all, and stated i have used it myself. I just wish i knew more about it in regards to on cycle bloodwork.. From looking at all the HRT threads with people using Adex, we can get an idea of what doses to start at/use, in order to get estradiol where we want it, without squashing it.
sorry, between working 12's and the tren kicking in, i have been a little on edge.

Eric Potratz

Eric Potratz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Progesterone:

Prolactin:

Thanks for doin my searching for me...

Eric Potratz

Eric Potratz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Im still standing by my recommendation of vitex and possibly an AI for the control of progestin based gyno. (perhaps even in cases of non-progestin based gyno)

I think it’s obvious that prolactin is a contributing growth factor, although it may not be the “root” of the cause. But who cares.

Rather than administering a toxic SERM, or an AI that may push HDL down to unfavorable levels, it seems most logical (to me) to simply suppress prolactin for period and thus handicap gyno growth through this mechanism.

BTW, Ive worked with AAS/GH using athletes who have had gyno issues. In this case, where further estrogen suppression is undesirable, I simply recommend they reduce their hGH therapy. Guess what, the gyno stops.

By simply by reducing a co-factor (eg, GH, prolactin, IGF-1, ect) you can manage gyno issues. That’s my approach.

-Eric

Dragon13

Dragon13

Awards
  • Established
The Ojasoo Raynaud paper I am most familiar with(J Steroid Biochem. 1987;27(1-3):255-69) shows dienolone to have an androgen receptor binding affinity equal to tren (and both significantly greater than testosterone) but with 1/6th the binding affinity of the progesterone receptor as trenbolone. I have seen him refer to a 1984 paper but the only paper they published in 1984 (Clin Neuropharmacol. 1984;7(4):325-31.) does not mention dienolone at all.

Another paper (J Comput Aided Mol Des. 1992 Dec;6(6):569-81.) confirms this level of progesterone receptor affinity but shows trenbolone to have much greater AR affintiy that the ojasoo raynaud paper. In this paper, dienolone still has much higher AR activity than testosterone.

Also, as PP pointed out earlier, binding affinity isn't everything. However, I am not aware of any functional assyas published for dienolone that show the level of activity at the progesterone receptor. However, in my opinion it seems very likely that it is not acting as a full agonist.
Very interesting. I never was foolish enough to take everything that guy said as gospel truth, but he did seem to know his stuff and everyone else considered him "the" authority. This is the first time I've ever seen anyone directly contradict his conclusion. You just never know with these "gurus"; after all, how do we know what their background is and how knowledgable they really are? (Hmmm, same could be said for you Seth. No offense, I just don't know much about you)

Back to the topic at hand: if what you say is true, then I am at a loss to explain why the Tren designers can give prolactin-related sides such as leaky nips and (possibly) gyno. And I am still at a loss to explain why prolactin becomes elevated when using these compounds. Despite what you've posted, I do not believe elevated or even rebound estrogen alone can cause lactation in men, despite the E - prolactin relationship.

Great thread, but the ditch is getting deeper. :worried:

Dragon13

Dragon13

Awards
  • Established
Im still standing by my recommendation of vitex and possibly an AI for the control of progestin based gyno. (perhaps even in cases of non-progestin based gyno)

I think it’s obvious that prolactin is a contributing growth factor, although it may not be the “root” of the cause. But who cares.
Exactly.

Rather than administering a toxic SERM, or an AI that may push HDL down to unfavorable levels, it seems most logical (to me) to simply suppress prolactin for period and thus handicap gyno growth through this mechanism.
Both need to be controlled, as supressing prolactin alone still leaves estrogenic effects to be dealt with. While I agree prolactin is a contributing growth factor, when using an aromatizing compound (which I suspect the Tren designers to be, despite manufacturer claims), I'd still go AI. HDL is likely going to be in the shitter anyways. :worried:

BTW, Ive worked with AAS/GH using athletes who have had gyno issues. In this case, where further estrogen suppression is undesirable, I simply recommend they reduce their hGH therapy. Guess what, the gyno stops.

By simply by reducing a co-factor (eg, GH, prolactin, IGF-1, ect) you can manage gyno issues. That’s my approach.

-Eric
Eric, question for you: the Tren designers, of which 1-T Tren is one, all obviously market as being very similar to trenbolone. Yet the chemical structure of the end hormone after enzymatic conversion may (from what I understand) actually be closer to nandrolone. Any insight on this?

Also - I can't really find any info on dienolone itself, does anybody have Vida #s on it?

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
Very interesting. I never was foolish enough to take everything that guy said as gospel truth, but he did seem to know his stuff and everyone else considered him "the" authority. This is the first time I've ever seen anyone directly contradict his conclusion. You just never know with these "gurus"; after all, how do we know what their background is and how knowledgable they really are? (Hmmm, same could be said for you Seth. No offense, I just don't know much about you)
If you are referring to Big Cat, you're not alone. He's a smart guy, but sometimes seems to either not think out of the box or have some agenda against certain steroids (particularly 2nd-Gen. OTC ones). I've watched other "gurus" (Patrick Arnold, Dr. D, etc.) rip apart his "theories" on BB.com over the years. I have not considered him a guru or "the final word" on endocrine physiology for years. He loves to quote Vida text (which is a very valuable resource), but doesn't seem to venture too far for other sources.

Back to the topic at hand: if what you say is true, then I am at a loss to explain why the Tren designers can give prolactin-related sides such as leaky nips and (possibly) gyno. And I am still at a loss to explain why prolactin becomes elevated when using these compounds. Despite what you've posted, I do not believe elevated or even rebound estrogen alone can cause lactation in men, despite the E - prolactin relationship.

Great thread, but the ditch is getting deeper. :worried:
Elevated E2 causes the prolactin receptors to become more sensitive, therefor possibly not requiring a rise in serum prolactin to cause a "prolactin effect." Is that enough to cause lactation in a human male? I don't know, but I don't discount it either.

Dragon13

Dragon13

Awards
  • Established
If you are referring to Big Cat, you're not alone. He's a smart guy, but sometimes seems to either not think out of the box or have some agenda against certain steroids (particularly 2nd-Gen. OTC ones). I've watched other "gurus" (Patrick Arnold, Dr. D, etc.) rip apart his "theories" on BB.com over the years. I have not considered him a guru or "the final word" on endocrine physiology for years. He loves to quote Vida text (which is a very valuable resource), but doesn't seem to venture too far for other sources.
I was, and I agree. Although did not witness the bb.com shredding as I avoid that board usually. Only reason I referenced him was b/c that quote on the Tren compounds is parroted on the boards as gospel truth with no one contradiciting it, so much so that I more or less believed it, as much for a lack of contradictory evidence as anything else.

Elevated E2 causes the prolactin receptors to become more sensitive, therefor possibly not requiring a rise in serum prolactin to cause a "prolactin effect." Is that enough to cause lactation in a human male? I don't know, but I don't discount it either.
I'll buy that, E and PRO have a converse relationship - but what's causing elevated E2? Just regular suppression + SHBG offset? Wouldn't think this would be enough. Or... if the compound is not binding the progesterone receptor (or not very strongly), are we looking at simple aromatization issues here? Everything could be avoided by simply adding an AI? Sounds too easy, although I don't think I've seen anyone run a Tren designer with an AI (although I admit I haven't searched).