Prescription androgel - did my doc screw me up?

solguy

Awards
When I was 19 or 20 (I'm now 22), I was referred to an endocrinologist because some routine blood work turned up high estrogen. I had been feeling tired every day and was getting sick a lot with colds etc. The endo did a full blood workup and it turned out the high estrogen was a fluke result, but my testosterone came back on the low end of normal (total test 432).

He said that even though I didn't technically have hypogonadism (i.e. wasn't out of the normal range), my body might need more testosterone to feel energetic, etc. He prescribed me 5g/day Androgel, and my testosterone now fluctuates between 550-700.

My T3 was at 95.6, and he said that I could use a low dosage of T3 to boost my energy as well, even though I wasn't technically hypothyroidic. He prescribed 5 mcg/day Cytomel (T3).

He said that I should try the Androgel for a while and there is a good chance that my body will "learn" that I feel better on that and it will up my natural production.

I've been on it for 3 years now and he has tried to take me off twice. Each time I go off, my total testosterone drops right back down to ~400, and I actually have less free test than when I started. Both times, the doc took me off cold turkey without any sort of PCT.

I spoke with my GP about it and he said that I've been on it so long that my testes have probably atrophied and I'll have to be on it for life.

Do you guys think my doc screwed me up for good? What can I do to get off the gel without such a sharp drop in testosterone?

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
Not sure what the answer is, but if your e level was high and your t level was low, there was something wrong(at 19 your t level would/should be near the high range in my opinion). As far as your situation, first, post your question or ask a mod to move it to this part of the board:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/

Theres some really knowledgeable people in there, that dont frequent this part of the board often. Someone there might be able to give you some real guidance. The only thing I could guess would maybe be try some hcg, Im not sure what you can do, but again, seek help in the other part of the board, you might find some help.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/