Powerlifting Training Log and Stuff

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've always been tempted to try Bulgarians but have the fear of eating ****.
I know Pete Rubish swears by them too.
You can always do them with dbs held to your side if you don't wanna put the bar on your back. Get some grip work in that way as well. They are best in the 8-12 range while loaded and if done bw go 15-20 (more for like a prehab or activation drill). Dont take them heavy as hell like Rubish does...theres no need for that. And also how he partially tore his adductor (i think that was him that did that while doing a 1rm bss).

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
You can always do them with dbs held to your side if you don't wanna put the bar on your back. Get some grip work in that way as well. They are best in the 8-12 range while loaded and if done bw go 15-20 (more for like a prehab or activation drill). Dont take them heavy as hell like Rubish does...theres no need for that. And also how he partially tore his adductor (i think that was him that did that while doing a 1rm bss).
I'll have have to give them a go. I'm off from the gym today so I'll be changing things around. Still gonna keep my mains the same as far as reps/sets/ percentages.

Definitely needs to cut down the bicep training too I'm currently doing it 3 times a week and my arms last night felt like they were gonna tear right off.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
A lot of guys around here do light hammer curls in their warmups. Like sets of 30 with very light weight just to fill the bis, brachialis, and brachioradialis with blood.

I do 3 sets of direct bi training a week. I have tiny bis comparably to my tris but i rarely have issues with bicep tendnitis. If i do its typically while doing pronated wide grip lat pulldowns.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
A lot of guys around here do light hammer curls in their warmups. Like sets of 30 with very light weight just to fill the bis, brachialis, and brachioradialis with blood.

I do 3 sets of direct bi training a week. I have tiny bis comparably to my tris but i rarely have issues with bicep tendnitis. If i do its typically while doing pronated wide grip lat pulldowns.
So almost everyday training bi's in the warm up? Or just certain workouts?

Do you train tri's harder? Since it helps the bench?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

I believe they do it before every session, like 1-2 light sets to 30. I do 3x12-20 once a week on Thursdays.

I absolutely train tris wayyy harder than bis. Probably at least 2:1 in terms of direct tri:bi work.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
I believe they do it before every session, like 1-2 light sets to 30. I do 3x12-20 once a week on Thursdays.

I absolutely train tris wayyy harder than bis. Probably at least 2:1 in terms of direct tri:bi work.
I see. Yeah I've been doing dips/ close grip benches. I've been adding some rope pull downs too.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I train bis 3x a week, always light and high rep. I get in 400-500 reps of tris a week, 20-40 reps heavy, some moderate and probably half in sets of 20-50. Your catalog of triceps exercises is a little limited. I'll do skullcrushers, JM presses, rolling triceps, dumbbells, barbell, cable, band, flat, incline, decline, overhead. The options are limitless and should be treated as such.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
I train bis 3x a week, always light and high rep. I get in 400-500 reps of tris a week, 20-40 reps heavy, some moderate and probably half in sets of 20-50. Your catalog of triceps exercises is a little limited. I'll do skullcrushers, JM presses, rolling triceps, dumbbells, barbell, cable, band, flat, incline, decline, overhead. The options are limitless and should be treated as such.
How often for bi's and the reps that you recommend?

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Tell me what you think of this I train about 300 reps of back a week. So roughly 150 rows and pull-ups.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How often for bi's and the reps that you recommend?
Pretty often, and I do some for a few. I literally only do biceps so they don't hurt when I bench. I use 25-30# dumbbells. Maybe 60-70 for cheating ass hammer curls.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Tell me what you think of this I train about 300 reps of back a week. So roughly 150 rows and pull-ups.
I'd do more..again 400-500. Include about 150 pullaparts and facepulls a week, maybe 50 shrugs. I literally train upper back nearly every day I train.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
What about shoulder work? I do OHP seated with db's for sets of 8 3x per week.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What about shoulder work? I do OHP seated with db's for sets of 8 3x per week.
Sure, try it. The only way you're going to know what works best for you is to spend time under the bar. Make a plan, stick to It for a couple months, test maxes, assess what worked and what didn't, make changes, and repeat. Rule of thumb is if you suck at it, do more of it, and if it hurts you, don't do it. Those are the two rules for assistance. The more important rule is to assess technique every set and always strive to improve every time out.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Sure, try it. The only way you're going to know what works best for you is to spend time under the bar. Make a plan, stick to It for a couple months, test maxes, assess what worked and what didn't, make changes, and repeat. Rule of thumb is if you suck at it, do more of it, and if it hurts you, don't do it. Those are the two rules for assistance. The more important rule is to assess technique every set and always strive to improve every time out.
I'll do that. I've been consistent with keeping this log updated with my training as well as my personal notebook. I'm excited seeing the progress that's happened so far.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Man I can't wait to show you guys the workout for tonight. It's stacked. Sucks when I have to deliver mail to golds gym and I can't train.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Day 4 week 3:

Squats @65% (290)
3x8

1st two sets hand my hands out wide for grip (this was a lil hard)

Last set went with a closer grip outside shoulder width (felt better and felt more power)

Front squats
-I never do these but wanted to start.

Did 3x10@135 (felt too easy wanted to challenge myself)

Decided to go for 225x5 PR for me. (I know it sucks for weight)

Felt ballsy wanted to try my bw at 275.

275x 1 PR (very tough holding but exploded out the hole)

Leg ext

90lb x 25

110lb x 20 x 2 sets

Leg curls (felt extremely weak)

75lb x 20 x 2 sets

Hammer curls

3x15 @ 25lb

Incline curls

3x8@ 30lb

Finished up with 10 min spin bike and stretching.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Day 5 Week 2:

Weight assisted pull-ups (120lb)
5x10

Weight assisted dips (120)
1st set 40 reps
2nd set 25 reps
3rd set 10 reps

Db rows
3x20@ 70lb

Close grip bench
3x5@ 275lb

Ez skulls seated
2x25@80lb

Db shrugs
5x10@80lb

Finished with 10min spin and stretching.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
I've been trying to learn how to use leg drive in my benches. Today I felt like I was sorta doing right but is there anyway to help increase leg drive?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been trying to learn how to use leg drive in my benches. Today I felt like I was sorta doing right but is there anyway to help increase leg drive?
Herder can probably help with this but probably not much without seeing a video of what you're currently doing.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Herder can probably help with this but probably not much without seeing a video of what you're currently doing.
I'll have to take one on Tuesday (bench). I usually have no trouble with 275 on CG but whatever I was doing with my legs maybe leg drive it just felt extremely easy.

What I read online was to arch your back and dig your upper back/ rear Delts on the bench and have your legs close and heels up and once weight is sitting on my chest I explode up while hip thrusting/ slamming my heels down.

Of course my ass is put no leaving the bench!

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Let's see a video. You should be driving heels down and driving your body toward your head the entire set, no breaks.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Let's see a video. You should be driving heels down and driving your body toward your head the entire set, no breaks.
If I take a video are you able to tell what I'm doing wrong with an empty bar or is it better to see form when bar is loaded? I just ask cuz my bench day isn't until Tuesday?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If I take a video are you able to tell what I'm doing wrong with an empty bar or is it better to see form when bar is loaded? I just ask cuz my bench day isn't until Tuesday?
It's got to be a decently tough set, preferably with a little over 80% of your 1RM on the bar for multiple reps.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
It's got to be a decently tough set, preferably with a little over 80% of your 1RM on the bar for multiple reps.
Herder with your experience in powerlifting would you consider doing an 80% bench during a hypertrophy block a set back? Like is that testing too early I know mentally and physically I can do it. I just don't know about lifting above my set percentage of 65%. Well this affect my potential by jumping the gun?

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Technically by the program I'm scheduled to start hitting 80% of my 1rm in 6weeks.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Herder with your experience in powerlifting would you consider doing an 80% bench during a hypertrophy block a set back? Like is that testing too early I know mentally and physically I can do it. I just don't know about lifting above my set percentage of 65%. Well this affect my potential by jumping the gun?
Just hit your prescribed set and film it. If it's too easy, nobody will see any issues and you'll have to wait another week to improve. Any program can work when the lifter has good form. Any program can fail due to poor technique

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Made that weight look easy! You need to have more whole body tightness. Legs need to be engaged the whole time, and you need to pull your shoulder blades down into your back pockets and let the weight settle them into the pad. Right now you're getting a lot of leaks in the system from it all being disconnected, think of it more as a whole body exercise.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Made that weight look easy! You need to have more whole body tightness. Legs need to be engaged the whole time, and you need to pull your shoulder blades down into your back pockets and let the weight settle them into the pad. Right now you're getting a lot of leaks in the system from it all being disconnected, think of it more as a whole body exercise.
Thanks man I'm trying. I've been watching a lot of videos to try to mimic the movements. Practice makes perfect. Besides that would you say there is anything else with form or a weakness within Delts/tri's or chest?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks man I'm trying. I've been watching a lot of videos to try to mimic the movements. Practice makes perfect. Besides that would you say there is anything else with form or a weakness within Delts/tri's or chest?
No, start there. We fix one thing at a time and also there wasn't enough weight/form wasn't yet good enough to evaluate muscular weakness.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Ok man I'll work on it. Taking today off and doing deads tomorrow.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Day 7 Week 2:

Conventional Deads
3x8@345

Box Squat
2x5@315 w/42.5lb chain
1x5@365 w/42.5lb chain

Seated OHP
80lb x 7
80lb x 12
80lb x 9

Db rows
3x20@70

Weight assisted pull up w/ 120 assist
1x10
1x10

This got sloppy so I switched to lat pull downs for 3 sets of 10@ 150lb

Hammer curls
3x15@30lb

Machine preacher curl
3x8@20lb

Finished with stretching and bike.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Day 1 Week 4:

Bench (67.5%) (245)
2x8 (Paused)
1x13

Close Grip Bench
3x5@275
1x3@275

Db Incline Press
1x20@70
1x15@70
1x12@80

Pull-ups Weight Assisted (120)
50reps-15/10/10/7/4/4

Dips Weight Assisted (120)
75reps-25/15/12/12/11

Db Rows
3x20@70

Finished with 10min bike and stretch.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Filmed my last set on Close Grip but camera guy didn't catch my form so I had him do it over for another set of 3. I think I'm still loose I feel like my leg shake a bit.
https://vimeo.com/182016146

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Looked better!

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Is it normal to lose tension/form as reps increase? For example on my last set of bench for 13 reps my form was tight then the last few reps I felt my traps weren't dug into the bench almost as if I went flat back.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is it normal to lose tension/form as reps increase? For example on my last set of bench for 13 reps my form was tight then the last few reps I felt my traps weren't dug into the bench almost as if I went flat back.
Very normal, happens to the best of us. A good rep range for keeping perfect form is usually 3-5. But don't let that discourage you, the higher rep sets are very important. Just do your best.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Very normal, happens to the best of us. A good rep range for keeping perfect form is usually 3-5. But don't let that discourage you, the higher rep sets are very important. Just do your best.
That's what I was thinking. Will do.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Day 2 Week 4:

Low Bar Squat (67.5%) (300)
3x8

Front Squat
3x10@185

BW Back Ext
3x15

Leg Curl
5x20@75

Leg Ext
1x50@70
1x30/10/10 Rest Pause @70

Db OHP
3x8@80
1x10@80

Hammer Curl
3x15@30

Machine Preacher Curl
3x8@20

Finished with stretching no bike today.

Taking tomorrow off.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Now question... Is it normal for knees to be sore/ in pain? Like I don't feel hurt I don't feel any issues while squatting my knees just kinda are nagging me. At work when I hop in and out of the truck it feels weird but when I do a walking route they feel fine.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Took yesterday and the day before off wasn't feeling the best. I was taking to sinus pills like no other.

Assistance day today went ****ty. Been noticing my lifts after a day off have been junk.

Pull-ups (Weight Assisted) 120lb
15/10/5/10/5/5 these were hard today

Dips (Weight Assisted) 120lb
30/20/25

Close Grip Bench
2x5@275
1x6@275

Switched up to Barbell Rows for today.
135x20,30
185x12

Seated EZ Bar Skulls
2x25@80

Db Shrugs
1x20/30@ 80

Finished with Tire Hammers/ stretching.

Got me a book on Powerlifting to help me understand things better and learn new tips and tricks Week 4 is almost coming to a close so I'm looking to tweak the things around to better my plan.