Postworkout nutrition opinions

srx600

srx600

Awards
  • Established
I currently take a scoop of Phosphagen HP (Dextrose + Creatine) for carbs and a scoop of Whey Isolate for my protein. I have been doing this forever and want to try something different, but want your opinions on which one.

1. Just take Cytogainer (40g carbs, 25g protein, 3g creatine) Everything I take in one convienient powder. Maltodextrin any different than dextrose?

2. Buy wazy maize and replace that with the Phosphagen HP for PWO.

3. Swap Phosphagen with a large banana.

4. Something else?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Try neovar and a large banana in place of phosphagen, and still add the whey

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Go for the banana. Real food is your friend.

Should get Trip in here to teach you about bananas :twisted:

srx600

srx600

Awards
  • Established
change

I am changing it because I am tired of the same thing and want to try something different. Wouldn't the banana be less efficient at absorbtion than say wazy maize?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
it also contains other nutrients too. I bet in the span of a month, the difference in muscle gained wouldnt' be a measurable amount. Try neovar as a different creatine tho, its well worthwhile

ManInTheBox

ManInTheBox

Awards
i like waximaize just because it's conveinent. one scoop (40 grams) pre workout with my NO boosters and w/e else I have in there, and then one scoop post workout with my protein. BCAA's during my workout, and life is good : )

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Whole foods are your best friends. I'm not a fan of these malto-dextrin, dextrose, ribose, and other sugars postworkout. I drink Oryx Goat Whey or hydrolyzed whey (50 grams) for ultra fast absorption and a honey sandwich (2 pieces of Ezekiel bread with honey in the middle) and it works amazing. Everyone is different, but it's best to experiment with different whole foods IMO than these chemical concoctions.

MarkPerry

Awards
what do yall think about the concept of fast digesting protein-whey- and slow digesting protein-casein- post workout.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
what do yall think about the concept of fast digesting protein-whey- and slow digesting protein-casein- post workout.
I find BCAAs (with extra L-Leucine) are excellent pre-, intra, and post-workout.

In terms of proteins, I prefer a combination of a fast protein (whey) and a not-so-fast protein (soy). A whey-casein mix is also fine. I definitely prefer a mix to a pure-whey option.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
Whole foods are your best friends. I'm not a fan of these malto-dextrin, dextrose, ribose, and other sugars postworkout. I drink Oryx Goat Whey or hydrolyzed whey (50 grams) for ultra fast absorption and a honey sandwich (2 pieces of Ezekiel bread with honey in the middle) and it works amazing. Everyone is different, but it's best to experiment with different whole foods IMO than these chemical concoctions.
I agree with this statement. I used to get all caught up in the simple sugar thing (dextrose for instance), but after a while, i just decided to go with whole foods or keep it simple. For instance, this is what i have been doing over the last few months and i like it alot. I workout at 7pm. When i get home i take immediately.....

10-15g LEUCINE
40g WHEY
for my carb source, i just take either oats, rice cakes. Seems to be working really well.

I just not gonna jump on the ole' WMS bandwagon yet, and dont believe your carbs have to be basically 'SUGAR' to work postworkout....thats all bull in my opinion. just eat clean and you will be fine

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
i'm in agreement with all those supporting real foods for pre/PWO consumption. your body responds most efficiently to whole food sources. why replace whole foods with less-than-perfect substitutes?

dextrose and maltodextrin look good, theoretically, on paper. but in reality i think they'll only bloat you up, resulting in eventual water retention if not fat gain.

i think PWO you're best shooting for a combination of slow/fast acting carb sources per se. 1/2 cup oats and banana or some raisins might be a good mix. interestingly, even carrots would be a decent source because carrots are a fast absorbing carbohydrate, not to mention healthy and natural.

experiment with what you wish, but my .02 is to go with FOOD.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
This was the biggest thing for me to adjust to when i started.

I tried all different things, like dumb to basics. The best thing i like for my body is either.
Whey in water with some fruit.
Banana & whey in water
BCAAs right after WO then 30min later shake and meal

Now i usually wait 20-30 minutes after my WO.
1. to let my body return to normal operating speed.
2. so it can focus on proper digestion.

My next thing to try is goin to be straight carb complex, Energy drink(spike insulin and sugar source)BCAAs, and whey.

10 minutes later eat.

I think it is ture though just to eat right and get some whey & BCAAs after your WO and you should be fine.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I go:

Preworkout
2g Beta Alanine
2g Dicreatine Malate
2g Citrulline Malate
2 Scoops Xtend

Postworkout
2 Scoops WPI
2g Beta Alanine
2g Dicreatine Malate
1 Large whole wheat bagel
2 Tablespoons Jelly

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I tried all different things, like dumb to basics. The best thing i like for my body is either.
Banana & whey in water

My next thing to try is goin to be straight carb complex, Energy drink(spike insulin and sugar source)BCAAs, and whey.

10 minutes later eat.

I think it is ture though just to eat right and get some whey & BCAAs after your WO and you should be fine.
the banana + whey in water sounds good. a nice chocolate banana shake

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
I agree with this statement. I used to get all caught up in the simple sugar thing (dextrose for instance), but after a while, i just decided to go with whole foods or keep it simple. For instance, this is what i have been doing over the last few months and i like it alot. I workout at 7pm. When i get home i take immediately.....

10-15g LEUCINE
40g WHEY
for my carb source, i just take either oats, rice cakes. Seems to be working really well.

I just not gonna jump on the ole' WMS bandwagon yet, and dont believe your carbs have to be basically 'SUGAR' to work postworkout....thats all bull in my opinion. just eat clean and you will be fine
Sounds like a nice combo! I'm sure it not only seems like it's working well, I'm sure it IS working well my friend. Nice setup. It's basic, it's adequate, and to the point.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
i'm in agreement with all those supporting real foods for pre/PWO consumption. your body responds most efficiently to whole food sources. why replace whole foods with less-than-perfect substitutes?

dextrose and maltodextrin look good, theoretically, on paper. but in reality i think they'll only bloat you up, resulting in eventual water retention if not fat gain.

i think PWO you're best shooting for a combination of slow/fast acting carb sources per se. 1/2 cup oats and banana or some raisins might be a good mix. interestingly, even carrots would be a decent source because carrots are a fast absorbing carbohydrate, not to mention healthy and natural.

experiment with what you wish, but my .02 is to go with FOOD.
I just tried reppin' you... But props anyhow. The dextrose, malto, etc. look wonderful on paper. They especially look extra wonderful in the orginal Cell Tech writeup. There are some people... and I mean SOME that I know that can drink a 6 pack of Coca Cola all day and stay lean, and I'm sure these types of people can handle the simple sugar PWO scheme, however, for all intensive purposes, I'd for sure endorse only whole foods.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established

Banana & whey in water

10 minutes later eat.

Whey and bananas sound good! I've done that a few times (and still will to switch it up).

I don't totally buy into the food combining theory, but to an extent it does make sense in vivo, in vitro, logically, and chemically. Be careful with what fruits you mix with the whey. I know certain foods will throw off the pH during digestion, rendering both the protein and the fruit semi-indigestible.

Also, go for the banana moreso than berries and whatnot. It has sucrose and fructose at a perfect ratio IMO. You can bounce your energy levels back by feeding your liver glycogen and you can replenish lost muscle glycogen with the sucrose.