Please rate my workout or recommend another

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
Hey all,

I have been doing a 2-day upper body, 2-day lower body routine every week for the past 3 months. The problem is with the lower body routine. My squats and leg presses have gotten very heavy as of late and my legs/knees can't take two days a week of that pounding.

I thought that maybe working my lower body once a week as heavy as possible would be enough, but now I have three days in which to work my upper body instead of two. How should I go about this? I would like to work chest as much as possible, since it is my weakest area, but in those three days, how should I distribute shoulders, chest, arms, back and abs.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

RCL86

RCL86

Awards
  • Established
Push/Pull works very well. I wouldnt do squats twice a week anyways. Do squats on one day and maybe do lunges the second. It works well for me.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
There is a lot that you can do in your situation.

You could keep your same routine and:
- Train one pair of days heavy and one day light
- Drop the weight down and move your rep range up
- Drop the weight down and work the negatives (FYI eccentric movements are shown to improve tendons)
- Rotate in some different exercise as already mentioned

In my experience if you lift heavy every workout you will eventually develop an injury. The fact that you already have knee pain shows that you do. You may have to back off more than simply spacing out your leg days until you recover.

If you just want to space it out more the easiest is to keep you existing routine but only train 3 days per week (DC style). One week you will hit upper twice, lower once - the next week will be the opposite and so on.