Please critique my designed workout

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
I've been running 5/3/1 for the past few months and have really enjoyed the gains from it.. However, since doing this program my arm size has decreased noticeably..The lack of direct arm work I feel is the cause.On rowing movements, I feel that the bi's and forearms go too soon before the back.. Even with all the rowing and pressing, I haven't added any size (w/ a 500 cal surplus). I've gained about 10 pounds since July but most of its in my upper back and chest area.. I was thinking 5 days/week, 4 of them hitting my main compound first for a 5x5, then some volume work. Each successive week, I'd change the rep range from 5x5 to 5x3, then 3,3,3,1,1 then 5x1, followed by a deload.
Here's a quick example:
Week 1 day 1: Chest
Flat Bench 5x5 @85%
Incline Bench 4x8-12
Pec Deck/Flies 3x8-12
Curling movement 4x6-8
Farmers Walk or other forearm work

Day 2: Back
Deadlift 5x5
DB/BB row 4x6-8
Pullups/Pull-downs/Chin-ups-4x6-8
Tricep extension/Floor Press/CGB/Presdown 4x6-8

Day 3: Legs
Squat- 5x5
Front Squat 3x6-8
SLDL 3x6-8
Calf movement- 4x12-15

Day 4-Shoulders
Military Press 5x5
Upright Row/High Pull 3x6-8
Front raises (weak part in horiz. press) 3x8-12
BB/DB Shrugs 4x8-12

Day 5 Arms
Superset Tri followed by bi movement
A1- Rope Pressdown 3x8-12
B1- Cross body hammer curl 3x8-12

A2- CGB 4x6-8
B2- Preacher Curl 4x6-8

A3- Skull Crush/Dips 4x6-8
B3- Incline DB curl 3x8-12

A4- Farmers Walk or other forearm exercise

Now for week 2, the only thing that will change is the reps for the first lift, and perhaps increasing the total volume of accesory work a little each week..For my deload weeks, I think I'll do a straight BB type of workout with decreased volume but everything 12-15 reps..
Also, I've been back and forth between the rep ranges for arm work.. I'd like to increase my total capacity for bi's and tri's as I feel that after 4 sets of 6-8 my bi's feel gassed.. So Perhaps on the arms day, make most of it in the 8-12 rep range, but the arm work I do on the other days is still medium rep..Constructive advice and opinions are welcome.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
why not just do some curls with 5/3/1 if you were enjoying the gains

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
why not just do some curls with 5/3/1 if you were enjoying the gains
I may just do 5/3/1 for the main compounds, then do my own variation of assistance work as I see necessary

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Even Wedler says you can throw in curls and stuff on any of the days you want.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Ok why not follow PHAT? If you are worried more for looks, and want to train 5x a week it would be pretty good for you bro. My concern here is that you are exposing yourself to injuries training like this, too much shoulder involvement in the week , not enough lower body days and also dead lifts are not an upper back movement at all bro! They are a lower body, posterior chain , hip dominant motion. Check out PHAT by layne norton, it might be best for yah if you want the arm and overall growth and worry not much about the strength gains!

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
Ok why not follow PHAT? If you are worried more for looks, and want to train 5x a week it would be pretty good for you bro. My concern here is that you are exposing yourself to injuries training like this, too much shoulder involvement in the week , not enough lower body days and also dead lifts are not an upper back movement at all bro! They are a lower body, posterior chain , hip dominant motion. Check out PHAT by layne norton, it might be best for yah if you want the arm and overall growth and worry not much about the strength gains!
I second this PHAT is a great 5 day a week split and it hits both goals strength and hypertrophy.

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
Third on p.h.a.t. I started doing that 7 months ago and modified a needed, and it is by far the best training program I've tried...plus it doesn't get boring...I've gained about 12 pounds on a lean bulk since I've started...