Phosphatidic Acid (Fearn's) is awesome but I think it makes me gain belly fat

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
I've used PA (Fearns soy granules) periodically since November 2015. Personally, I think it's one of the best OTC anabolics I've used.

However, after using it for several days straight, it starts making me fat, particularly in the abdominal area (and pretty bloated also). Does this happen to anyone else? It's great stuff but at the moment I'm limiting it to 3x/week due to this issue.

I think I read on here once that SL increases fat cell proliferation, particularly in the abdominal region.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
You have to remember it's pretty much all fat calories, so you have to take that into you daily macros. You can choose to use something like phosphamuscle for zero calorie versions.

mike33511

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure how much you're taking but if it's the serving size that gives 1200mg of PA, then what you're basically saying is that 110 calories of food is making you fat in a few days.

Bloating is one thing, but what you're suggesting is impossible.

bb333

Awards
  • Established
Soy lecithin, basically, contains "fat", and as we know, 1g of fat, bring 9kcal. The mistake that many make is to hire more lecithin can, and they forgot the many calories it contains. I've always said, excellent supplement (food), but must be careful to exceed. (I'm a manic type with diet, calculating everything in grams ... but many follow a more flexible diet ... everyone has their own, respect!) Now ... time ago, there was talk of this very sense of "muscle fullness", similar to creatine! From personal experience, if I had to choose between the soy lecithin, or creatine, I choose soy lecithin, because, besides giving me that feeling of muscle fullness, me too much immediate strength, better than creatine, IMHO! HOWEVER, you have to calculate the FATS that contains! ... And when I eat up 30g of fat per day, here it becomes a problem ... However, the "swelling" of which you speak, I think it's just "fogging", due extracellular water.

scump

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hot tip - eat less food.

If you can't manage your macros to factor in the calories of SL, then you shouldn't be supplementing **** to begin with.

Otherwise what would be you counter argument? Without excess calories this supplement is making me gain more muscle (you called it an anabolic) and also gain more fat. In which case you have completely re-written the most fundamental laws of physics.

Now if its bloating you're more concerned about, try something to ale this, such as a probiotic. (evo muse gut health seems popular too)

UNbuff

Awards
This stuff is great whilst on keto and keeping the muscles full.

Just deduct the cals u take in from SL from your diets fat intake if youre that paranoid

Chefdeez

Chefdeez

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I know you guys disagree but I'm with the OP on this one. Not sure if it's an allergy or whatever but I get noticeably puffy after a few weeks. Tried it on a cut with adjusted cals/macros and swelled up like a balloon.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
I've used PA (Fearns soy granules) periodically since November 2015. Personally, I think it's one of the best OTC anabolics I've used.

However, after using it for several days straight, it starts making me fat, particularly in the abdominal area (and pretty bloated also). Does this happen to anyone else? It's great stuff but at the moment I'm limiting it to 3x/week due to this issue.

I think I read on here once that SL increases fat cell proliferation, particularly in the abdominal region.
why not cut down and use on training days only

mcc23

Awards
  • Established

Yea it's bloat dude. Toss in some dandelion root and you'll be straight

Chefdeez

Chefdeez

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yea it's bloat dude. Toss in some dandelion root and you'll be straight
What? So you're determining that it's water retention? Based on what? Taking something like dandelion root daily can be pretty dangerous.

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
What? So you're determining that it's water retention? Based on what? Taking something like dandelion root daily can be pretty dangerous.
The OP said that he's been taking it for a few days. Do you really think that it's actual accumulation of fat tissue in that short span of time? I'd hope not. And yes, dandelion root at a low dose is perfectly fine to take daily.

Chefdeez

Chefdeez

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just have no reason to believe anything in soy lecithin causes water retention like that. I'm honestly not sure what it is. Could even be a food allergy causing GI issues.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm with you on the bloating from the soy lecithin...when I was taking the fearns brand I had bloating going on....added some thickness but to me wasn't worth it with the bloating that happened

currently using OL Tr1umph and haven't seen the bloat, also haven't noticed a huge increase in thickness either but rather a nice recomp style effect

pro45

Awards
I've never experienced any bloat or water retention with Solgars Soy Lecithin granules. I take 10 grams a day. Sometimes 15 grams, divided into two doses. Haven't tried Fearns yet.

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
I'm not sure how much you're taking but if it's the serving size that gives 1200mg of PA, then what you're basically saying is that 110 calories of food is making you fat in a few days.

Bloating is one thing, but what you're suggesting is impossible.
No, I'm saying it seems to be promoting increased fat gain (specifically abdominal fat) in a way similar to it promoting increased LBM. (As in, nothing to do with the extra calories but the effect of something in SL itself).

I've taken quite a bit of SL and I'm almost certain some compound in it promotes increased fat gain, particularly in the abdominal region. And like I said, I think I read someone on here stated that SL causes fat cell proliferation.

The fat gain IMO has little to do with the added calories.

compan

compan

Awards
I just have no reason to believe anything in soy lecithin causes water retention like that. I'm honestly not sure what it is. Could even be a food allergy causing GI issues.
I had some GI issues from it as well.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I take either 2Tbs of SLG or a serving of Triumph (depending on the training that day). Currently in a deficit and losing belly fat (lower ab veins a good indicator). While not impossible, it's not normal to have lipogenesis in a caloric deficit. I also tested Supernova at maintenance calories and lost belly fat (small amount, 1-2mm). Since I always take SL for the healthy fat source - I didn't add belly fat there either. In another thread, IIRC, someone found an actual study that showed fat cell proliferation though - but I can't remember if it was de-bunked as a poor study? Who knows????