Phat style or powerbuilding routine

MJW

MJW

Awards
  • Established
Im looking for a new routine to start. I love the phat style training that has power days. Anything out there similar to this that I should try? I also like having days that have high volume.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Have you tried PHAT training or just looking into it? What are your goals?

MJW

MJW

Awards
  • Established
I have tried phat. Love it. Just want to switch it up and come back to it

MJW

MJW

Awards
  • Established
And im trying to gain lean mass while making strength gains.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
And im trying to gain lean mass while making strength gains.
Well, I can't see why you cannot do both with many routines. There are many PL'ers who have a great deal of lean mass. Remember generally, if "any" rep numbers are going up, so is strength in some way. It is not really that easy to train entirely or specifically for just one, or the other. If lifters are trying to stay in a certain weight class, then that is more diet than anything. And paying closer attention to diet/cals in etc., may have one looking more svelte than some PL'ers who are not as concerned with definition, as they are defying gravity.
That being said, many strength athletes use a combination of both volume and high intensity in a single W/O (I know I do) in lower (say sets/reps as low as x3's x2's x1's) and then say assistance or auxiliary or even more iso exercises with higher rep/sets x6's x10's x12's x15's+)

enraged_chris

Awards
Personally I structure my training like so: 1 main movement for the day (I have 2 bench days, a squat and a deadlift day) that I rotate between mostly either heavy or speedwork usually doubles or triples usually very submaximal, followed by one major accessory movement usually in the 5-8 rep range. For example if it's a squat day, I may do a good morning variation for a few sets. I then basically shift to more bodybuilding style training for the rest of my movement. I don't have a specific number of sets/reps/exercises but I go based on how I am feeling week to week and how my recovery is. Feel great on a day? More volume, heavier weights. Feeling beat up? Get in and out quick.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I have both a 5 day PHAT and 6 day modified version template that I could share with you if you'd like. Lots of guys here (including myself) are runnign the 6 day version with great results. just shoot me an email (in my sig)

GettinSwolen

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have both a 5 day PHAT and 6 day modified version template that I could share with you if you'd like. Lots of guys here (including myself) are runnign the 6 day version with great results. just shoot me an email (in my sig)
Phat being 2 power days (upper and lower) along with 3 hyper days, what is the 6th day of your modified version? Interested as I have been running some sort of PHAT for quite some time on a 5 day split.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Phat being 2 power days (upper and lower) along with 3 hyper days, what is the 6th day of your modified version? Interested as I have been running some sort of PHAT for quite some time on a 5 day split.
I just split the 2 power days into 3 and made it basically a ppl style with 3 hyper, 3 power days and the set and rep schemes like PHAT. It also has a build in progressive set/rep scheme to build up to a 1rm every 6 weeks

GettinSwolen

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just split the 2 power days into 3 and made it basically a ppl style with 3 hyper, 3 power days and the set and rep schemes like PHAT. It also has a build in progressive set/rep scheme to build up to a 1rm every 6 weeks
Oh nice, mind sending it to me so I can check it out? On my hyper days I have combined PHAT with things like DTP, Y3T, and FST-7 along with Phillip Coan Deadlift. Always open to something new.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Oh nice, mind sending it to me so I can check it out? On my hyper days I have combined PHAT with things like DTP, Y3T, and FST-7 along with Phillip Coan Deadlift. Always open to something new.
you have to email me... cant send it thru AM