Pasta vs Wholemeal pasta vs Rice

kevker

Awards
Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the nutrition thread, but seeing as I'm mainl;y concerned with fat loss I've gone with this section.

A little background, I'm an engineer, so drive round to various sites during the day. Never allowed food or drink on the sites, so it has to remain in my car, in my six pack bag. Now this usually does a good job of keeping things fairly cool, but on some days if the sun is strong, it just can't cope with it, and sometimes the food is approaching room temp by mid afternoon (and yes, sometimes it does get warm here in the UK). So my question is, how do the three compare for a diet? With all the scare stories surrounding cooked rice (eat it after two hours and you'll die a slow agonising death, I know, I'm exaggerating), but I just feel more comfortable with pasta that has warmed up a bit (and I'm completely ignoring the chicken here). Am I going to be able to lose weight using pasta instead of rice, and would I be better going for wholemeal. The way I look at it, rice is a fairly simple carb as is pasta, so as long as I'm in deficit I should be good to go?

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
As long as the calories are aquated for there is not much difference between rice and pasta when it comes to nutrients. So whichever you prefer will be fine.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
As long as the calories are aquated for there is not much difference between rice and pasta when it comes to nutrients. So whichever you prefer will be fine.
Agreed. All about those macros ;)

I prefer brown rice probably 75% of the time and will do whole wheat pasta the other 25%.

JoeMicro

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Just a suggestion, toss with a touch if any type of vinegar will help limit bacterial growth and spoilage.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

It will not run when the car is off but this combined with a coolpak will take care of you. Otherwise just get a better cooler with more room for ice packs.

A heavy blanket over your cooler can also help significantly as it keeps the direct sun off if that is an issue.