Party Marty's Workout Log

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
I've been hiking the Ozark Trail for the last few years. I've got the first few sections done, about halfway, probably. Typically will do a week at a time, hitting 70 miles per week. As I work my way south, the daily mileage increases as the trail gets easier.

View attachment 153246

This is the typical terrain. Loose rocks on the hillsides, rock "glades" on the tops and creeks and rivers in the valleys. Total calf workout!

If it wasn't so far, I'd come out that way for a hike
That is my favorite kind of hike. I want to step and climb over rocks. I hate when it's just a dirt path or even worse... paved. That's called walking at that point! I strongly recommend Billy Goat Trail Concourse A if you ever find yourself around DC. There are points where you're jumping from rock to rock. It started raining on us and I had old shoes with no tread. It was terrifying. Safe to say I bought new shoes since then... Despite the lack of mountains here, the Potomac has some pretty cool cliffs along it. Of course, you can also drive south to VA or west to WV/Maryland panhandle. It's my favorite part of living here. Florida, my home state, is flaaaaaat. Those beaches, though! And no snow!

And my wife starts getting complain-y when we hit 3-4 hours on a hike. I keep trying to convince her to do a 6-hour hike and bring food and granola bars and stuff. She's not having it. I think I'm going to try to win the kayak battle before I tackle that one. A state park near us lets you rent kayaks and ride on the lake. I've been wanting to do it the whole three years I've been here, but stuff keeps coming up. That, and my wife keeps not wanting to do it.

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
(copied from HyperMax XT log)

A scoop and a half is the bomb for me. I did it again and once again, I'm buzzing after getting home from the gym. I mixed it with 16 oz of water, it mixed smooth, and I gulped it down. Ten minutes later, I got in the gym ready to kill it. I ran hot again and got a nice sweat on, which I prefer, and I actually got nearly 5 sets into my workout before I realized my music wasn't on. I was just wearing my headphones with nothing playing. Haha! Also, for the first time, I noticed a vein popping on my right shoulder while I was curling. I'm on the higher BF% and on a cut, so that's a huge sign of progress for me. That wasn't there when I started using HyperMax XT three weeks ago. ;) What a great day in the gym again. You better believe I'm doing a scoop and a half for the rest of the container. Man, I feel good! (still buzzing)

Fat Gripz Hammer Curls 20x3x20, 20x3x16
Fat Gripz Standing DB Skull Crushers 20/each armx6x12
Standing Alternating DB Curls 40x4x10
Overhead Rope Extensions (Apartment) 100x4x12
Straight Bar Cable Curls/Straight Bar Pushdowns (Superset) 80x1x10, 80x1x10, 80x1x10

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
Also, my weight has hung at about 260 lbs for the last week, so I shaved my total calorie consumption from 2,450 per day to 2,200. I will see if this will unstick my progress. Either way, I'm feeling good, and I think I look better. I know weight isn't everything, but I do have a lot to lose so that's why I will tweak that number.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You're right. It's better to focus on looks and how you feel, instead of the scale!!

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
You're right. It's better to focus on looks and how you feel, instead of the scale!!
Don't go giving me an out. You're fat, Marty! Be ashamed!

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You fat, lazy bastard!!

(better?)

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I should have paid better attention. My 5,000th post was calling you a fat lazy bastard. Might have to edit it to something a little nicer.

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
I should have paid better attention. My 5,000th post was calling you a fat lazy bastard. Might have to edit it to something a little nicer.
Haha. I'm glad I could he part of such a milestone. That is motivation if I ever saw it!

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
I had to bail on the gym after 6 sets of Incline Press because of an emergency, but I did a bunch of push ups.. Yeah, my chest day was kind of blown this week. I'll make up for it. Sometimes life happens. :/

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
(copied from HyperMax XT log)

Week Four / Log Three

I got 9 hours of sleep and woke up ready to hit the gym. I ate a Quest bar and then took a scoop and a half of HyperMax XT and went straight to the gym. I felt great. I was buzzing with clean powerful energy like usual. The thing I love about HyperMax is that instead of hitting hard and then feeling it slip away as you do sets, it almost ramps up and up and by the time I'm on my 6-8th set, I'm on top of the world. That's not to say that it lacks on the front-end. I love this stuff. Today was a shoulder day. Lots of burning and pumps. Another note is that after I'm done working out, I'm whooped, but I still feel good... like I'm mentally buzzing. It's hard to explain, but I've been jumping around preworkouts for the last year or so and I haven't felt one quite like this.

Hammer Strength Shoulder Press 205x6x10
Seated DB Side Lateral Raises 30x4x10
Seated DB Front Raises 30x4x10
EZ-Bar Upright Row 80x6x10
Barbell Shrugs 275x4x10

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
Leg day. I felt pretty good today after solid sleep (I only seem to get this on weekends).

Leg Extension Machine 190x4x10
Lying Leg Curl Machine 100x6x12
Leg Press 450x4x10
Barbell Squats 135x4x10
Seated Calf Raise Machine 90x4x12

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
Weigh-in:

8/21/2017: 257.5 lbs, 32.4% BF

Previous:

8/9/2017: 261 lbs, 33.0% BF

My weight loss finally got unstuck by lowering my daily calories from 2,450 to 2,200. I will hang around the 2,200 mark until my weight loss stalls or I hit the end of my cut at the end of September (which comes first).

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
I bought and drank a Sour Heads Bang energy drink on the way to the gym and then took 3/4 of a scoop of HyperMax XT. Solid back workout today. I felt good and I got my sweat on. The best part is that I have a Lemon Drop Bang for tomorrow morning.

Seated Cable Row 175x6x10
High Row Machine 240x3x8
Bentover Barbell Row 155x4x10
Row Machine 270x4x8
Narrow Grip Lat Pulldown 150x4x10

Elliptical HIIT Cardio 20 mins

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Have you ever tried cable face pulls??

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
Have you ever tried cable face pulls??
Yeah, I incorporate them on shoulder day sometimes. I do my rear delts on shoulder day usually. I prefer the cable face pulls way more than any of the rear delt machines.

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
I took an unplanned rest day yesterday and was going to make up for it today, but work kept me too long. It is the 4th Quarter and I work for the govt. It's only going to get crazier. I am going to try to not have it affect my gym time, but it did today.

Tomorrow will be chest day and I'm looking forward to it.

Now I'm going to get my Maryland-mandated emissions test on my car and then stop by a Vitamin Shoppe to try the Cotton Candy Bang energy if they have it...

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
I popped a sample with two servings of Muscletech Vapor X5 Icy Rocket Freeze. The flavor was very interesting. It was like tangy and had the flavor of a classic blue snowcone, but it had a mint component to it. It gave the illusion that the drink was cold. I liked it a lot. In terms of the effect, it hit pretty hard. I even got a little nauseous at first but once it subsided, I had a great workout and a great pump. I would probably do one scoop if I had a container of it, but since the sample had two servings, I took them both.

Flat Barbell Bench Press 185x4x10
Incline Hammer Strength Chest Press 225x6x8
Pec Deck Flies 205x6x10
Flat Machine Close Grip Press 150x4x8

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
Had a quick shoulder session and then had to clean my apartment because a friend and his wife are stopping by (first friends to visit in 3 years living in the DC area). It's been a frantic day. I popped a Controlled Labs watermelon White Pipes sample and it really made my workout nice.

Hammer Strength Shoulder Press 225x6x8
Standing DB Side Lateral Raises 30x4x10
Seated DB Front Raises 30x4x10
EZ-Bar Upright Rows 80x6x10

Cardio... cleaning my apartment in fast forward? Lol.

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
turn and burn kind of leg day. Now we're going to go hiking at Cunningham Falls Nature Trail. Sort of a two-part leg day, I suppose. Then, shopping and Game of Throne finale.

Leg Extension Machine 190x8x10
Lying Leg Curl Machine 100x6x12
Leg Press 450x4x10

cardio: hiking (idk for how long yet)

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Will need pics from the hike, please.

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
Cunningham Falls Nature Trail had no crazy views but there was a cool waterfall and it was nice and somewhat challenging. This was easier than what I wanted to do but I made my wife agree to doing the much harder Wolf Rock and Chimney Rock Trail next time.

20170827_163557.jpg
20170827_163625.jpg
20170827_164139.jpg
20170827_171035.jpg
20170827_170934.jpg
20170827_172211.jpg
20170827_172630.jpg

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
It's Monday, which means official weigh-in day. My BF is determined by my scale, which is not very accurate, but I figure it usually measures me inaccurately in a consistent manner. However, late last week, I was down in the upper 31% range before yesterday, when I rocketed back into the high 32% range. I don't know what to think about that, but I'm sure it is inaccurate and that I did not gain BF %. Next week's weigh-in will answer that anomaly. The weight is still going down.

Weigh-in:

8/28/2017: 254.4 lbs, 32.6% BF

Previous:

8/21/2017: 257.5 lbs, 32.4% BF

TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS SINCE STARTING KETO (7/24/2017)

-17.3 lbs

I also will list the supplements I'm taking at the moment:

Morning:
2 caps Shizophrenic Psycho (thermo)
1 250mg tablet magnesium
4 99mg tablets potassium
1 cube chicken bouillon

Lunch:
1 pak Animal Pak multi vitamins
4 99mg tablets potassium

Pre-workout:
1.5 scoops HyperMax XT strawberry kiwi PWO
1 cap Schizophrenic Psycho (thermo)
1 250mg tablet magnesium
1 scoop Ergogenix pineapple mango Amino+
1 cube chicken bouillon

Post workout:
1 scoop MyProtein cinnamon roll protein powder w/ 12 oz of unsweetened almond milk and 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
1 scoop EVL cafe latte Energy BCAAs

APC80

APC80

Awards
Scales are totally useless for bf readings mate. Mine jumps all over the place. It tells me I'm 16% and I hardly have any fat on me I can see all my abs. One day it'll say 15.6 the next day it could say 16.2. Load of pish.

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
Scales are totally useless for bf readings mate. Mine jumps all over the place. It tells me I'm 16% and I hardly have any fat on me I can see all my abs. One day it'll say 15.6 the next day it could say 16.2. Load of pish.
I know. I figure the scale's built-in feature will help me know the ballpark that I'm in, which is helpful as I'm so high right now. Once I get low enough to where it really matters, I will find a better way for determining it. At the end of the day, I'm more worried about holding muscle and how I look. I KNOW when I've lost weight, but it satisfies a part of my brain being able to sort of quantify it.

APC80

APC80

Awards
Do you think you're over 30%? I remember seeing your pics at the start of your last log and thinking you were only about mid twenties. Hard to judge from pics tho.

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
Do you think you're over 30%? I remember seeing your pics at the start of your last log and thinking you were only about mid twenties. Hard to judge from pics tho.
It's funny that you say that. That has been a mental sticking point for me because I was dumbfounded that I was over 30%. I have looked at countless pictures of average visualizations of body fat percentage and thought I looked more like 25%. I guess my next question for you is how to do you determine your BF %? Do you use calipers or some other form of technology that is more accurate? I know there are places you can go to get legitimate tests, but I'd like something simple that I can do at the house with ease. I know that means it will be inaccurate, but I am not trying to get it down to a scientific level. I just use it to see the trend of my fat loss and to make sure I'm not burning muscle.

APC80

APC80

Awards
Every morning after my pee I jump on the scale and then measure my waist at the navel.

IMG_0331.jpg

You can pick one of these up dirt cheap on amazon they give you a more consistent reading than an ordinary tape measure. Not sure what you call it tho.

It's not perfect but I find it a good indicator of body comp changes. Best thing is once you're done cutting and happy with how lean you are you know what waist size you need to get down to next time.

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
Back Day!

Seated Cable Row 175x6x10
Row Machine 270x6x8
High Row Machine 230x4x8
Behind-the-Back Lat Pulldown 180x4x8
Straight-Arm Cable Pushdown 62.5x4x10

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
I'm getting hit hard at work. I do procurement for the Federal government and it's not only the 4th Quarter, but we're going into dreaded September. I'm getting less sleep, working overtime every day, and am skipping lunch every day (although eating at my desk while working). It's a real shame because I normally walk during my hour lunch break, which helps contribute to my fat loss. My workouts are also suffering and I even had to skip my last arm day because we had to go grocery shopping and I already got home late because of work. My agency's soft deadline is September 15, so it should all return to normal after that. Of course, depending on certain things, that could extend to September 30. It will only be like this for a couple more weeks, so I'll stop boo hoo-ing.

In good news, I got my wife to agree to hike the 8.6 mile Catoctin Mountain Extended Loop Trail that is rated as "hard" on AllTrails. The only other "hard" trail we've done is Billy Goat Trail Concourse A and we were jumping from rock to rock (it was insane and awesome). I am also trying to get my wife to agree to let me buy a legit hiking backpack and a water bladder with a drinking hose that will run out of the backpack. We have been using my backsack that I take to the gym on normal days and it just isn't big enough. We fill it up so much that the string straps squeeze into my chest and quickly start chaffing. Plus, we put this giant plastic water jug in there and it juts into the middle of my back. With the hiking backpack, we could throw food, a powerbank for our phones, extra water bottles, and even a Bluetooth speaker in there. It would be so rad. I will keep bugging her until I get it. Haha.

And it is my friend's birthday today and he is having a little shindig at a local bar after work. I am not going to drink anything and I am half-hoping I somehow can make it to the gym for chest day afterward. I'm not really seeing it happening but I do have all of my supps and gym gear with me. I might just end up doing a weird 3-in-1 day on Saturday, where I do arms, chest, and shoulders.

Pretty stoked about that hike, though. It is probably going to take 4-5 hours. It really depends how "hard" it actually is. My wife is going to HAAATE it. Hahaha.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
With all of the hiking in your area, I would think Craigslist would be a great place to pick up a backpack. And I'm not sure that the water bladder is the way to go. I have several, and use them sometimes, depending on what I'm doing. For single day hiking they're not bad, but multi-day it depends on the water situation. If I can filter water several times a day I'll just carry an MSR Dromedary bag and a couple of Smart water bottles. The Dromedary lets me carry 3 liters of water if I want, or I can just fill the 1 liter Smart water bottles and carry them in the belt pouches on the backpack.

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
With all of the hiking in your area, I would think Craigslist would be a great place to pick up a backpack. And I'm not sure that the water bladder is the way to go. I have several, and use them sometimes, depending on what I'm doing. For single day hiking they're not bad, but multi-day it depends on the water situation. If I can filter water several times a day I'll just carry an MSR Dromedary bag and a couple of Smart water bottles. The Dromedary lets me carry 3 liters of water if I want, or I can just fill the 1 liter Smart water bottles and carry them in the belt pouches on the backpack.
She let me get the bag and the bladder. I see what you're saying about the bladder and I do agree, but we are nowhere near doing a multi-day hike. It is hard enough to get her to do hikes from the 2-4 hour range. I think the bladder fits our needs pretty well and we can throw some bottles in the bag too. I would love to actually be out there long enough to where I have to filter water and things, but I might have to do that on my own at some point. You definitely know your stuff and I will pick your brain in the future. I am new to this hiking thing and I'm trying to get the wife on board.

Also, as expected, I wasn't able to work out. I will do my arm day tomorrow, which normally Friday is a rest day. Then I will blow it out Saturday on a chest and shoulder day. Then as I go into Sunday, everything will be back to normal. That's the plan. I also got my Forged that I am supposed to log. I will start it Saturday and then log 4x per week for 4 weeks. I will also post here as I'm sure that log doesn't care about my hiking and pictures. Nobody should be suggested to seeing my ugly mug unless they choose to be subjected to it.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Make sure you post the tag list when you start the log

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
Make sure you post the tag list when you start the log
I don't have a tag list. I'm not likeable and funny like you, or at least I'm not as good at pretending I am!

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just looked up that up on Alltrails. Jealous man! Wish I had that type of terrain close to me! I'd be out for weeks at a time.

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
Just looked up that up on Alltrails. Jealous man! Wish I had that type of terrain close to me! I'd be out for weeks at a time.
Coming from Florida, I hardly know where to start. There isn't really hiking in FL. Just walking outside. There are some things in work that might cause me to move down to Atlanta in the coming months, so I will be bummed to be away from here, but luckily Atlanta is fairly close to some nice hikes. Not as close as I am now, but at least they're not non-existent... like in Florida.

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
Arm Day. I had a nice workout. A scoop and a half of the HyperMax XT really hits the button. I'm bummed because I'm almost out. I have a lot of unopened tubs of PWOs. So many that I didn't get Re1gn because I couldn't justify it. I might pop open my Ultimate Orange. I'm pretty curious about that Forged Burner I'm going to log. It has a lot of weird ingredients in it that I've never seen. I'm on a full-blown cut, so hopefully it helps!

Fat Gripz Hammer Curls 25x6x10
Fat Gripz Standing DB Skull Crushers 20/each armx6x12
Seated Alternating DB Curls 40x4x10
Cable V-Pushdowns 87.5x4x12
Straight Bar Cable Curls (Apartment)(Superset)/ 110x1x10, 110x1x10, 90x1x10
Overhead Rope Extensions (Apartment)(Superset) 100x1x10, 100x1x10, 100x1x10

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
And my Buckeyes looked like dog **** for the first half. Luckily they woke up at halftime. No. 7 Oklahoma is coming to town this next weekend and the Bucks CANNOT play like that. Yikes... We are really missing our secondary players who went to the NFL. Those guys looked like deer in headlights out there.

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
Fun times. 8.5 mile hike. 5 hours. Whew!

Catoctin Mountain tracker.png

Us before the hike:
20170903_145829.jpg

Blue Ridge Summit:
20170903_152342.jpg

Wolf Rock:
20170903_185028.jpg

20170903_185139.jpg

Chimney Rock:
20170903_183338.jpg

Us at the end of the hike:

20170903_192449.jpg

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nice!

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
It is Monday so it's weigh-in day. My numbers came out to:

Weigh-in:

9/04/2017: 250.5 lbs, 32.0% BF

Previous:

8/28/2017: 254.4 lbs, 32.6% BF

It was also back day:

Behind-the-Back Lat Pulldown 180x6x10
Bent-Over Barbell Row 155x4x10
Diverging Seated Row Machine 100x6x10
Straight-Arm Straight-Bar Cable Push Down 62.5x4x10

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
Worked a couple hours of overtime today and had to skip arm day. Unfortunate. I may be squishing some muscle groups again this weekend...

Also, I'm very interested in AndroShred by MuscleGelz and the Ghost Cereal Milk Protein after reading different reviews/logs. I will have to pull the trigger on those in the future when they go on sale.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The Cereal Milk Protein really appeals to the fat kid who still lives inside me.

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
The Cereal Milk Protein really appeals to the fat kid who still lives inside me.
I'm jealous. Everyone spoke so highly of it, so I knew it was legit. What cereal does it taste like? Cap'n Crunch?

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
Weigh-in:

9/11/2017: 249.5 lbs, 31.1% BF

Previous:

Didn't lose much weight this week. Kind of ramped back up 253 before coming down, but I am trending downward now. I am not going to mess with my macros and I will see where this trend takes me. If I stall or go back up again, I will start playing with numbers. I'm still sitting at 2,200 calories per day.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm jealous. Everyone spoke so highly of it, so I knew it was legit. What cereal does it taste like? Cap'n Crunch?
Sorry, never had it. It just sounds like something I would really like

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Weigh-in:

9/11/2017: 249.5 lbs, 31.1% BF

Previous:

Didn't lose much weight this week. Kind of ramped back up 253 before coming down, but I am trending downward now. I am not going to mess with my macros and I will see where this trend takes me. If I stall or go back up again, I will start playing with numbers. I'm still sitting at 2,200 calories per day.
Tough watching the scale. I typically try to never step on a scale, or at least wait as long as I can

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
Sorry, never had it. It just sounds like something I would really like
Ah! You're saying you want to try it too. Then we both agree. And it definitely appeals to me. I could crush some Cinnamon Toast Crunch right now.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yep, back when I was a fat bastard, my favorite thing to eat after getting home from work at midnight was some kind of kids cereal. Cap'n Crunch, Frosted Flakes or Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
(copied from Forged Burner log)

Alright. I have finished my workload for this fiscal year. I won't have to work any more overtime and my workout schedule will return to normal, 5x per week with 20 minutes of HIIT after each session. FINALLY!

Today was chest day. I felt good and hot as usual on Burner. I sweated like crazy and had sweat dripping down my forehead on my drive home. Awesome workout today.

Flat Barbell Bench Press 185x4x8
Decline Hammer Strength Press 225x6x10
Incline Hammer Strength Press 215x4x8
Pec Deck Flies 205x8x10

Elliptical HIIT Cardio 20 minutes (2 minute intervals)

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
My wife and I are hiking the "Appalachian Trail: I-40 to Pogo Campground" trail tomorrow after I get done with my shoulder day at the gym. I can't wait! I'll get to use my new hiking backpack as well.