Pain in left elbow during one arm tricep extensions

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I keep getting pain in my left, whenever I do tricep extensions. I don't have this pain doing dips using my bench. I think I might be able to avoid pain, as long as I don't go all the way down and flex at the bottom, once I go all the way down it hurts, if I go just before all the way I still feel some pressure but it's manageable. What could be causing this and can I just not fully flex on the bottom and still get a good workout, or would that leave my tricep less developed? I have no elbow pain with any other exercise, I only have free weight, no cables. THe pain was worse when I was using an ez bar, now the pain isn't as bad but still there. The pain is just enough that I can finish a set but it hurts after ward and alittle the next day, with the ez bar I had a lot of trouble doing a full set.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Bump any advice? I do these seated btw.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I had this happen to me before. I wore one of the under armour "shooting sleeves" that basketball players wear for the next 6 months or so and avoided anything that made it flare up and hurt it and it eventually healed.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
This is how I am doing them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnNB_Yuidgc&feature=related
I will be fine if I have to switch to something else, but I want bigger arms which is why I want to have a good isolation tricep exercise. Like I said it's not as bad if I don't go all the way done. Should I maybe switch to kickbacks, or are they not as good? Kick backs Have never given me trouble, I just did tricep extensions because I could do more weight, but if they will work my tris good maybe I should switch to them. Are they a good alternative to extensions?

shovelheaddev

shovelheaddev

Awards
Does it hurt only for that exercise? If so do something else, triangle pushups, even dips(elbows in)

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Does it hurt only for that exercise? If so do something else, triangle pushups, even dips(elbows in)
extensions, skull crushers. That's why I was askign about kickbacks as an alt., but I heard they aren't as good of a mass builder.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dips and close grip bench will put the most size on your triceps because of the amount of weight you can move. Have you tried using DBs with a neutral grip for overhead extensions?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Dips and close grip bench will put the most size on your triceps because of the amount of weight you can move. Have you tried using DBs with a neutral grip for overhead extensions?
Please explain, I didn't know you could do extensions with different grips

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
[video=youtube_share;X72QvpDQz4M]http://youtu.be/X72QvpDQz4M[/video]

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I will also do these on a decline bench or you can try this 2 hand variety below..

[video=youtube_share;v_kIlMDA5Ho]http://youtu.be/v_kIlMDA5Ho[/video]

VitaminJB

Awards
From what I gather, I have the same problem as you right now. I am deployed overseas and have been doing a pretty rigorous workout regimen for the last 4 months, with my main goal being raising my bench press. I have made really nice gains, but at the cost of some pain in my right elbow very similar to yours.

I have been hitting my chest, tri's, and shoulders very hard. A few weeks ago I noticed this pain flare up while I was doing skullcrushers. It is kind of hard to describe the pain, its not really sharp, but not really dull either, just nagging and it hurts to finish sets sometimes. I have 2 months to go before I go back home and really don't want to take a break...there really isn't anything else to do in my offtime other than go to the gym and eat.

At this point with this apparent injury, skullcrushers, overhead tri extensions, rope pulldowns, etc are out of the question. It seems like it hurts if I have to use my elbow as stabilization. I have found that the pain is almost non existent on close grip bench press, and i have become a huge fan of decline and incline close grip presses the last few months. Weighted dips don't hurt much either as long as I keep my elbows tucked. I'm trying to get accumstomed to tucking my elbows (more) than I do currently on all these lifts.

I don't think its tendonitis, but might be something in the joint. I just started taking cissus and glucosamine to see if that will help.

Hope this info helps you man.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Guys I found something out tonight. I can do extensions seated without pain, as long as I don't go lower than 90 degrees when my forearm meets my bicep. Any lower than that I get pain no matter what. I also foundout I can do lying tricep extensions without pain with an EZ bar, but I can't do them lying with dumbbells or I get the same pressure.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
When are you doing this exercise with regards to your triceps workout? Are you doing them first? last?

I found that the pain in my elbows can be solved by doing a couple of things:

1) Do Triceps Pushdowns first to warm up the elbow and get the triceps warm

2) Lighten the load and focus on both the stretch and the form. Going too heavy on a lot of triceps exercises will cause you to recruit chest/shoulders.

3) Don't lock your elbows but pause for a couple of seconds right before 90 degrees

4) Only do supported over-head triceps exercises. Set up an incline bench with the back facing a cable system and do your over-head presses that way.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
When are you doing this exercise with regards to your triceps workout? Are you doing them first? last?

I found that the pain in my elbows can be solved by doing a couple of things:

1) Do Triceps Pushdowns first to warm up the elbow and get the triceps warm

2) Lighten the load and focus on both the stretch and the form. Going too heavy on a lot of triceps exercises will cause you to recruit chest/shoulders.

3) Don't lock your elbows but pause for a couple of seconds right before 90 degrees

4) Only do supported over-head triceps exercises. Set up an incline bench with the back facing a cable system and do your over-head presses that way.
Can't do cables right now man. No transportation to the gym. I'm limited to free weights. I do my tricep exercises after my chest exercises. Last night I did this
incline bench
flat bench press with dumbbells
decline flies
seated tricep extension
lying tricep extension with ez bar
3 sets on all exercises rep range 8-12