Old Navy's Quest to be Bigger, Badder & Better in 2010

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Weight: 157.4 pounds

Widow-Maker Power Workout: A Four-Week Plan

The purpose of this plan is to grow lean, hard muscle mass by lifting heavy for several sets with little rest in between, using the same weight load and then doing a Widow-Maker set of many reps for the same exercise. Here is the Plan:

Keep the same weight for all 6 sets, but you may lose a rep or two at the end. For example set 1 - 4 you get the 6 reps, set 5, 5 reps and the last set 4. Pick a good weight and don't lower it even if it means 2-3 reps total on the last set.

On the high rep sets don't just do them light and go through the motions, go heavy and hard. For example on the 50 reps of squats pick a weight you can only get 20-30 reps with and then just take 2-3 deep breaths and bang out 4-6 more reps, breath and do more until you get the reps in. This is the Widow Maker set!

The rest between sets is 60-seconds and do a few warm-up sets before you begin the exercise. Stretch the working muscle between sets for 20-30 seconds.

Calves and Abs work is done twice a week. Pick one exercise and do 5-6 sets of as many reps as you can do for each.

Do Cardio on off days from weights, 20 minutes of HITT or intervals.
Do 5 min warm-up and 5 minute cool down so total time is 30 min with 20 minutes being interval or HITT.

Today it was Chest, Triceps and Shoulders

Incline Bench Dumbbell Press 6 x 6 x 50 pound dumb bells, 1 X 20 x 45 pound dumb bells

Flat Bench Dumbbell Press 6 x 6 x 52.5 pound dumb bells, 1 X 20 x 45 pound dumb bells

High Pulls (wide grip upright row, but you pull to the forehead) – 4 x 4 x 75 pounds

Heavy Laterals – 3 x 8 x 22.5 pound dumb bells

Press Down – 4 x 10 x 70 pounds (rope, v-bar, straight bar)

Decline Dumbbell or Barbell Extensions - 4 X 8 x 50 pound fixed barbell

Supplements:

I am using the Flex Wheeler Signature Series as part of my training regimen:

Kre-Alkalyn EFX PRO Pre-Workout Energy and Muscle Activator
Nytric EFX PRO Vascularity and Muscle-Pump Intensifier
CELL RUSH Post Workout Muscle Cell Re-fueling System
LBA PRO Liquid Amino Acid and Protein Complex
LG5 PRO Liquid Glutamine and Cell Volumizer
NF-PRO 100% Pro-Grade Whey Protein

I'm getting close to max on a few exercises. I'll keep pushing.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Friday, January 15, 2010

Weight: 157.0

The purpose of this plan is to grow lean, hard muscle mass by lifting heavy for several sets with little rest in between, using the same weight load and then doing a Widow-Maker set of many reps for the same exercise. Here is the Plan:

Keep the same weight for all 6 sets, but you may lose a rep or two at the end. For example set 1 - 4 you get the 6 reps, set 5, 5 reps and the last set 4. Pick a good weight and don't lower it even if it means 2-3 reps total on the last set.

On the high rep sets don't just do them light and go through the motions, go heavy and hard. For example on the 50 reps of squats pick a weight you can only get 20-30 reps with and then just take 2-3 deep breaths and bang out 4-6 more reps, breath and do more until you get the reps in. This is the Widow Maker set!

The rest between sets is 60-seconds and do a few warm-up sets before you begin the exercise. Stretch the working muscle between sets for 20-30 seconds.

Today I did Legs and Calves:

Leg Press 6 x 6 x 275 pounds, 1 X 40 x 240 pounds

Squats 6 x 6 x 185 pounds, 1 X 30 x 145 pounds

Hack Squat 6 x 6 x 170 pounds, 1 X 20 x 145 pounds

Seated Leg Curls 5 x 8 x 160 pounds

Leg Extensions 4 x 10 x 115 pounds

Seated Calve Raises 3 x 20 x 150 pounds

Crunches 5 x 20 reps

I did Cardio on Thursday, 20 minutes of HITT and 20 minutes of moderate treadmill.

Supplements:

I worked today with a slight muscle pull in my lower back due to the Dead Lifts I did earlier in the week. Hopefully a weekend off from weight training will make it better.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Tuesday, January 19 and Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Weight: 156.0 pounds

Calves and Abs work is done twice a week. Pick one exercise and do 5-6 sets of as many reps as you can do for each.

Do 5 min warm-up and 5 minute cool down so total time is 30 min with 20 minutes being interval or HITT.

Tuesday was Chest, Triceps and Shoulders

Incline Bench Dumbbell Press 6 x 6 x 52.5 pound dumb bells, 1 X 20 x 47.5 pound dumb bells

Flat Bench Dumbbell Press 6 x 6 x 55 pound dumb bells, 1 X 20 x 47.5 pound dumb bells

High Pulls (wide grip upright row, but you pull to the forehead) – 4 x 4 x 80 pounds

Heavy Laterals – 3 x 8 x 25.0 pound dumb bells

Wednesday I did Legs and Calves:

Leg Press 6 x 6 x 285 pounds, 1 X 40 x 245 pounds

Squats 6 x 6 x 190 pounds, 1 X 30 x 150 pounds

Hack Squat 6 x 6 x 175 pounds, 1 X 20 x 150 pounds

Seated Leg Curls 5 x 8 x 160 pounds

Leg Extensions 4 x 10 x 120 pounds

Seated Calve Raises 3 x 20 x 160 pounds

Crunches 5 x 20 reps

Supplements:

The YMCA was closed on Monday for the MLK Jr. Holiday so I trained Tuesday and Wednesday. I'll do cardio tomorrow and pick up the plan again on Friday.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Friday, January 22, 2010

Weight: 156.0

Today I did Legs and Calves

Lunges 6 x 6 x 135 pounds, 1 x 20 x 115 pounds (reps are both legs)

Seated Leg Curls 6 x 6 x 135 pounds

Wide Stance Squats 6 x 6 x 175 pounds, 1 x 50 x 150 pounds (Same weight as last time. Tough)

Dumbbell Stiff Leg Dead Lifts 6 x 6 x 35 pound dumbbells

Step Ups (Step up, one leg at a time, on a high bench or aerobic step) 6 x 6

Seated Calves 3 x 15 x 100 pounds

Plus 20-minutes of moderate speed cardio and 125 crunches

Supplements:

I'm feeling a little under the weather with a head cold. I toughed it out anyway.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, January 25, 2010

Weight: 156.0

Today I did Back and Biceps

Reverse Grip Barbell Row, 6 x 6 x 150 pounds, 1 X 20 x 125 pounds

Medium Grip Pull Down, 6 x 6 x 125 pounds, 1 X 20 x 120 pounds

Dead Lifts 6 x 6, 1 X 30
I didn't do this exercise today as I am still nursing a slightly sore back.

Instead I did bent-over dumb bell rows.

Bent-Over Dumb Bell Rows, 6 x 6 x 35 pounders, 1 x 30 x 30 pounders

Barbell Curls, 4 x 6 x 50 pounds

Preacher Curls, 4 x 10 x 50 pounds

20 minutes of moderate cardio and 125 crunches

Supplements:

I am lifting heavy and staying strong. Good training plan.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Weight: 155.8 pounds

Leg Press, 6 x 6 x 290 pounds, 1 X 40 x 250 pounds

Squats, 6 x 6 x 195 pounds, 1 X 30 x 155 pounds

Hack Squat, 6 x 6 x 180 pounds, 1 X 20 x 155 pounds

Seated Leg Curls, 5 x 8 x 165 pounds

Leg Extensions, 4 x 10 x 130 pounds

Seated Calve Raises, 3 x 20 x 165 pounds

Crunches, 5 x 20 reps

Supplements:

Man, I didn't think adding 5 pounds to every exercise was a big deal. My legs were toast after this session.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Friday, January 29, 2010

Weight: 156.0 pounds

Today was Chest, Triceps and Shoulders

Incline Bench Dumbbell Press 6 x 6 x 55.0 pound dumb bells, 1 X 20 x 50 pound dumb bells. This exercise got my attention.

Flat Bench Dumbbell Press 6 x 6 x 60 pound dumb bells, 1 X 20 x 50 pound dumb bells

High Pulls (wide grip upright row, but you pull to the forehead) – 4 x 4 x 80 pounds

Heavy Laterals – 3 x 8 x 25.0 pound dumb bells

Supplements:

After upping the weights on the first two exercises, I didn't have enough left to up the weights for any of the others. This plan is ending soon. Maybe not soon enough. Ha.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, February 1, 2010

Weight: 155.0 pounds

Widow-Maker Power Workout: A Four-Week Plan, Final Week

Leg Press, 6 x 6 x 200 pounds, 1 X 40 x 250 pounds

Squats, 6 x 6 x 200 pounds, 1 X 30 x 150 pounds

Hack Squat, 6 x 6 x 185 pounds, 1 X 20 x 160 pounds

Seated Leg Curls, 5 x 8 x 165 pounds

Leg Extensions, 4 x 10 x 135 pounds

Seated Calve Raises, 3 x 20 x 165 pounds

Crunches, 5 x 20 reps

Supplements:

I'm glad this great plan is nearly done. It was very tough.

Stand by next week for “The Phoenix,” A Full-Body Hypertrophy Workout

Phoenix (mythology), a mythical bird that dies in flames and is reborn from the ashes.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Friday, February 5, 2010

Weight: 154.0

We completed The Widow Maker program on Wednesday and did circuit training today to finish the week. The circuit training consisted of 8 sets of 8 reps of unassisted pull ups, unassisted dips, hanging leg lifts, crunches, push ups and 8 x 25 of skip rope. My training partner and I got through the eight sets and then spent 15 minutes boxing, with me holding the pads and my partner wearing the gloves. It was an aerobic session.

On Monday, we start a new program called The Phoenix. Here it is:

“The Phoenix,” A Full-Body Hypertrophy Workout

Phoenix (mythology), a mythical bird that dies in flames and is reborn from the ashes.

DAY ONE of Weight Training

Pull Ups, medium grip: as many sets as needed to get in 50 reps.

Dumbbell Row: 3 X 4-6 with a drop on the last set (drop sets do 6 reps drop the weight 30% and go to failure).

Pull Down with V bar: 3 X 6.

Rack Dead Lifts: 2 X 4-6, 1 X 30.

Curls: 3 X 4-6 with last set as a drop.

Preacher Curl: 2 X 6-8 with burns on last set (burns are 1/4 reps at the mid point).

Dumbbell Bench/Flies: 3 X 10-12, Positive stroke is a press, negative stroke is a fly.

Upright Row, medium grip: 2 X 10-12.

Seated Triceps Extension: 2 X 10-12.

Leg Extension: 1 X 50-100 (on 50-100 rep sets pick a light weight and go for 50-100 nonstop, this burns).

Seated Leg Curl: 1 X 50-100.

Calf press: 1 X 50-100.

In each case, try to do the higher reps for each set.

This is a great change-of-pace plan and you should look forward to adding weights to every exercise over the four-weeks of The Phoenix.

DAY TWO of Weight Training

Squats:
4 x 8
1 x 30

Hack Squat: last set with static hold in the 1/2 position for 30 sec.
3 x 6

Lunges: last set do a drop to failure
3 x 6

Leg Curls: last set do slow 8-10 seconds of negative
3 x 6

Glute Ham Rises: If you don't have this equipment, you can substitute another ham string exercise
2 X 6

Seated Calf Rises: hold bottom and top 2 seconds
3 x 10

Standing Calf Rises: drop set on 2nd set to failure
2 X 30

Lat Pull Downs:
2 X 12

Cable Rows:
2 X 12

Cable Curls:
2 X 12

Peck Deck:
1 X 50-100

Machine Laterals:
1 X 50

Machine Triceps Extensions:
1 x 50

DAY THREE of Weight Training

Incline Dumbbell Press: 3 X 6 with last set a drop

Dips:

3 X 6 last set do burns (1/4 movements at the mid-range)

Dumb Bell Flat Bench:

2 X 6

Push Press: (chest machine)

3 X 6

Side Laterals:

2 x 6 (Seated)

Bent Over Laterals:

2 X 6

Decline Dumb Bell Triceps Extensions:

3 X 6 with slow negatives

Triceps Dip:

2 X 8 with static hold (5-seconds)

Sissy Squats:

2 X 12

Seated Leg Curls:

2 X 12

Calf Press:

3 X 15 (feet straight, toes in, heels in)

Straight Arm Pull Down:

1 X 100

Machine Curls:

1 x 50

Experiment with different weight levels and strive to add weights to each exercise each week. You will add endurance and strength. The Phoenix Full Body Hypertrophy Workout is an excellent program.

Cardio Workout

Combat Cardio: 5 cycles of the following:

Jump Rope - 2 minutes

30 Mountain Climbers - to an elevated platform

30 Squat Thrusts - From a squat to an explosive leap up

30 Push Ups - slow and full

30 Side Straddle Hops - done quickly

Puke once and repeat!

Do Day 1 of Weight Training, Combat Cardio, Day 2 of Weight Training, Combat Cardio and Day 3 of Weight Training, Combat Cardio. Fun Stuff.

Supplements:

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, February 8, 2010

Weight: 155.0

Pull Ups, medium grip: as many sets as needed to get in 50 reps.
I did 3 x 10. I can usually do 50, but after watchng the Super Bowl last night, I was beat.

Dumbbell Row: 3 X 4-6 with a drop on the last set (drop sets do 6 reps drop the weight 30% and go to failure).
2 x 6 x 35 pound dumbbells1 x 20 x 30 pounders

Pull Down with V bar: 3 X 6.
3 x 6 x 130 pounds

Rack Dead Lifts: 2 X 4-6, 1 X 30.
Didn't do these today.

Curls: 3 X 4-6 with last set as a drop.
2 x 6 x 30 pound dumbbells,

Preacher Curl: 2 X 6-8 with burns on last set (burns are 1/4 reps at the mid point).
2 x 8 x 60 with 1/4 reps

Dumbbell Bench/Flies: 3 X 10-12, Positive stroke is a press, negative stroke is a fly.
3 x 12 x 30 pound dumbbells

Upright Row, medium grip: 2 X 10-12.
Didn't do this today

Seated Triceps Extension: 2 X 10-12.
2 x 12 x 40 pounds

Leg Extension: 1 X 50-100 (on 50-100 rep sets pick a light weight and go for 50-100 nonstop, this burns).
1 x 50 x 60 pounds (I will hit 100 next time)

Seated Leg Curl: 1 X 50-100.
1 x 50 x 60 pounds (I will hit 100 next time)

Seated Calf press: 1 X 50-100.
3 x 25 x 70 pounds

Abdominals
5 x 20 reps

Supplements:

This is a lengthy program. I did not have enough time to do all of the exercises today. I will try to pick up the pace between exercises.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, February 10, 2010

"The Phoenix," A Full-Body Hypertrophy Workout

Squats:
4 x 8 x 155 (too easy)
1 x 30 x 125 (too easy)

3 x 6 x 160

3 x 6 x 30 pound dumb bells

3 x 6 x 140

3 x 10 x 140

2 X 30 x 40 pound dumb bells (did 40 reps on the drop set)

Lat Pull Downs:
2 X 12 x 135 (tough)

Cable Rows:
2 X 12 x 155 (tough)

Cable Curls:
2 X 12 x 70

Peck Deck:
1 X 50 x 40

Machine Laterals:
1 X 50 x 20

1 x 50 x 120

On Tuesday (February 9) I did Combat Cardio

Jump Rope - 2 minutes

I didn't puke, but after the fourth cycle, going into the fifth cycle, I felt like it.

Supplements:

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Friday, February 12, 2010

Weight: 153.0

Incline Dumbbell Press: 2 x 6 x 37.5 and drop 1 x 20 x 32.5

Dips: 3 x 6 x bodyweight with 1/4 pump at mid-range

Dumb Bell Flat Bench: 2 x 6 x 52.5

Push Press (chest machine): 3 x 6 x 175

Side Laterals (seated): 2 x 6 x 17.5

Bent Over Laterals: 2 x 6 x 22.5

Decline Dumb Bell Triceps Extensions: 3 x 6 x 22.5 with slow negatives

Triceps Dip: 2 X 8 x bodyweight with static hold (5-seconds)

Sissy Squats: 2 X 12 slow hold at the bottom

Seated Leg Curls: 2 X 12 x 150

Calf Press: 3 X 20 x 110 (feet straight, toes in, heels in)

Straight Arm Pull Down: 1 X 100 x 40

Machine Curls:1 x 50 x 55

Cardio Workout on Thursday

Jump Rope - 2 minutes

Supplements:

This is the first full week of The Phoenix. Great plan. It will get harder. So will I.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, February 15, 2010

Weight: 155.0

Pull Ups, medium grip: 5 x 10

Dumbbell Row: 2 x 6 x 37.5 pound dumbbells, 1 x 20 x 32.5 pounders

Pull Down with V bar: 3 x 6 x 135 pounds

Rack Dead Lifts: 2 x 6 x 135, 1 x 30 x 115

Curls: 2 x 6 x 30 pound dumbbells, 1 x 20 x 25 pound dumb bells

Preacher Curl: 2 x 8 x 60 with 1/4 reps

Dumbbell Bench/Flies: 3 x 12 x 32.5 pound dumbbells

Upright Row, medium grip: 2 X 12 x 105

Seated Triceps Extension: 2 x 12 x 45 pounds

Leg Extension: 1 x 100 x 50 pounds (had to pause a couple of times)

Seated Leg Curl: 1 X 100 x 50 pounds

Seated Calf press: 3 x 25 x 75 pounds

Abdominals: 5 x 20 reps

Supplements:

I am watching the Winter Olympics and really respect all of the athletes.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Squats:
4 x 8 x 175
1 x 30 x 150

3 x 6 x 170

2 x 6 x 35 pound dumb bells 1 x 20 x 25 both legs

3 x 6 x 150

3 x 10 x 150

2 X 30 x 50 pound dumb bells (did 40 reps on the drop set)

Lat Pull Downs:
2 X 12 x 140

Cable Rows:
2 X 12 x 155

Cable Curls:
2 X 12 x 70

Peck Deck:
1 X 50 x 45

Machine Laterals:
1 X 50 x 22.5

1 x 50 x 125

Friday, February 19, 2010

Incline Dumbbell Press: 2 x 6 x 40 and drop 1 x 20 x 37.5

Dumb Bell Flat Bench: 2 x 6 x 55

Push Press (chest machine): 3 x 6 x 175

Side Laterals (seated): 2 x 6 x 20

Bent Over Laterals: 2 x 6 x 25

Decline Dumb Bell Triceps Extensions: 3 x 6 x 25 with slow negatives

Seated Leg Curls: 2 X 12 x 155

Calf Press: 3 X 20 x 115 (feet straight, toes in, heels in)

Jump Rope - 2 minutes

Supplements:

This is the second week of The Phoenix. I added a small amount of weight to most exercises.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, February 22, 2010

Pull Ups, medium grip: 5 x 10

Dumbbell Row: 2 x 6 x 40.0 pound dumbbells, 1 x 20 x 35 pounders (whew)

Pull Down with V bar: 3 x 6 x 140 pounds

Rack Dead Lifts: 2 x 6 x 140, 1 x 30 x 125

Curls: 2 x 6 x 30 pound dumbbells, 1 x 20 x 25 pound dumb bells

Preacher Curl: 2 x 8 x 60 with 1/4 reps

Dumbbell Bench/Flies: 3 x 12 x 35 pound dumbbells

Upright Row, medium grip: 2 X 12 x 105

Seated Triceps Extension: 2 x 12 x 50 pounds

Leg Extension: 1 x 100 x 50 pounds (made it. I'll up the weight next time)

Seated Leg Curl: 1 X 100 x 50 pounds (same here)

Seated Calf press: 3 x 25 x 80 pounds

Abdominals: 5 x 20 reps

Supplements:

Excellent work out. It's good to change what you are doing from time to time. Keeps it interesting.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Squats:
4 x 8 x 180
1 x 30 x 155

3 x 6 x 175

2 x 6 x 40 pound dumb bells 1 x 20 x 30 both legs

3 x 6 x 155

3 x 10 x 155

Lat Pull Downs:
2 X 12 x 145

Cable Rows:
2 X 12 x 155

Cable Curls:
2 X 12 x 70

Peck Deck:
1 X 50 x 45

Machine Laterals:
1 X 50 x 22.5

1 x 50 x 125

Friday, February 26, 2010

Incline Dumbbell Press: 2 x 6 x 45 and drop 1 x 20 x 40

Dumb Bell Flat Bench: 2 x 6 x 60

Push Press (chest machine): 3 x 6 x 180

Side Laterals (seated): 2 x 6 x 22.5

Decline Dumb Bell Triceps Extensions: 3 x 6 x 30 with slow negatives

Seated Leg Curls: 2 X 12 x 155

Calf Press: 3 X 20 x 115 (feet straight, toes in, heels in)

Jump Rope - 2 minutes

Supplements:

This is the third week of The Phoenix. I tried to add a small amount of weight to most exercises.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, March 1, 2010

Pull Ups, medium grip: 5 x 12 (kicked it up 2 reps)

Dumbbell Row: 2 x 6 x 42.5 pound dumbbells, 1 x 20 x 37.5 pounders (whew)

Pull Down with V bar: 3 x 6 x 145 pounds

Rack Dead Lifts: 2 x 6 x 145, 1 x 30 x 130

Curls: 2 x 6 x 30 pound dumbbells, 1 x 20 x 25 pound dumb bells (maxed)

Preacher Curl: 2 x 8 x 60 with 1/4 reps (maxed)

Dumbbell Bench/Flies: 3 x 12 x 35 pound dumbbells (maxed, lose form)

Upright Row, medium grip: 2 X 12 x 105 (maxed - slight shoulder issue)

Seated Triceps Extension: 2 x 12 x 55 pounds

Leg Extension: 1 x 100 x 55 pounds

Seated Leg Curl: 1 X 100 x 55 pounds

Seated Calf press: 3 x 25 x 85 pounds

Abdominals: 5 x 25 reps

Supplements:

It gets tougher each week. But, on March 1st I came in like a Lion and I am going out like a Lion on March 31st. No Lamb for me.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Weight: 151.8 pounds

20-Somethings

My training partner had to go out of town today so I decided to take a break from The Phoenix and have fun with something else. I did a leg and calves workout I call 20-Somethings. You can actually do 20-Somethings with any body part.

I did three slow sets of 20 reps of several legs and calves exercises. I tried to lift each set as heavy as I could for as long as I could and then dropped the weight one plate to finish the 20-rep set.

Leg Press 3 x 20 reps

Leg Extension 3 x 20 reps

Seated Leg Curls 3 x 20 reps

Abductors 3 x 20 reps

Adductors 3 x 20 reps

Seated Calf Raises 3 x 20 reps

Standing Calf Raises 3 x 20 reps

Total 20-Somethings Heavy Reps 420 in 60-minutes

Gotta Love It

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Friday, March 5, 2010

Weight: 151.6

Incline Dumbbell Press: 2 x 6 x 47.5 and drop 1 x 20 x 42.5

Dumb Bell Flat Bench: 2 x 6 x 60

Push Press (chest machine): 3 x 6 x 180

Side Laterals (seated): 2 x 6 x 22.5

Decline Dumb Bell Triceps Extensions: 3 x 6 x 32.5 with slow negatives

Seated Leg Curls: 2 X 12 x 160

Calf Press: 3 X 20 x 120 (feet straight, toes in, heels in)

Straight Arm Pull Down: 1 X 100 x 42.5

Jump Rope - 2 minutes

Supplements:

I'm starting to max out on more exercises. I can lift just so much while keeping my form and technique in check. I leave my ego in the parking lot.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, March 8, 2010

Weight: 154.2 (Up a little. Bad weekend.)

Pull Ups, medium grip: 5 x 12 (kicked it up 2 reps)

Dumbbell Row: 2 x 6 x 45.0 pound dumbbells, 1 x 20 x 40 pounders (tough)

Pull Down with V bar: 3 x 6 x 145 pounds

Rack Dead Lifts: 2 x 6 x 150, 1 x 30 x 135

Curls: 2 x 6 x 30 pound dumbbells, 1 x 20 x 25 pound dumb bells (maxed)

Preacher Curl: 2 x 8 x 60 with 1/4 reps (maxed)

Dumbbell Bench/Flies: 3 x 12 x 35 pound dumbbells (maxed, lose form)

Upright Row, medium grip: 2 X 12 x 105 (maxed - slight shoulder issue)

Seated Triceps Extension: 2 x 12 x 60 pounds (maxed)

Leg Extension: 1 x 100 x 55 pounds

Seated Leg Curl: 1 X 100 x 55 pounds

Seated Calf press: 3 x 25 x 90 pounds

Abdominals: 5 x 25 reps

Supplements:

I'm maxing most of the exercises in this plan. It's a good feeling, though.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Squats:
4 x 8 x 200
1 x 30 x 160 (had to stop and rest at 15)

3 x 6 x 180 (legs were shaking at the 1/2 position hold)

2 x 6 x 45 pound dumb bells 1 x 20 x 35 both legs

3 x 6 x 155 (maxed)

3 x 10 x 160

Lat Pull Downs:
2 X 12 x 145 (maxed)

Cable Rows:
2 X 12 x 155 (maxed)

Cable Curls:
2 X 12 x 70 (maxed)

Peck Deck:
1 X 50 x 45 (maxed and crashed)

Machine Laterals:
1 X 50 x 22.5 (maxed and crashed and burned)

1 x 50 x 125

Cardio Workout on Thursday, March 11

Jump Rope - 2 minutes

Supplements:

I am rapping up this stupid program (ha, it really rocks, it's just hard).

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Friday, March 12, 2010

Off-Season Weight: 152.0

On Monday I will begin training my clients and myself using a new plan designed to BUILD MUSCLE.

Hypertrophy Strength Training

Day 1:
Incline Bench Press – 4 x 4
Flat Dumb Bell Press – 4 x 4
Wide Grip Lat Pull – 4 x 4
Heavy Laterals – 3 x 6 each way (side, bent)
Triceps Press down – 4 x 6

Day 2:
Leg Press – 4 x 4
Squats – 4 x 6
Hack Squat – 4 x 5
Leg Curl – 4 x 5
Leg Extension – 3 x 4
Calf Raises – 3 x 10

Day 3:
Dips – 4 x 4 (add hanging weight as needed)
Incline Dumb Bell Flies 3 x 4
Shoulder Press – 4 x 4
Close Grip Bench Press – 4 x 4
Decline Triceps Extension – 3 x 6

Day 4:
Reverse Grip Barbell Row – 4 x 4
Medium Grip Lat Pull – 4 x 4
Medium Grip Chin-ups – 4 x 6
Barbell Curl – 4 x 4
Preacher or Dumb Bell Curl – 4 x 6

Cardio:
After training 30 min. 4 X week, moderate pace at 70% VO2 Max

Notice there are only 4, 5, or 6 reps in each set. This is a Heavy Lifting plan, so pick a weight where you will come close to failure at the end of each set. Be deliberate in your pace. Squeeze the muscle at the top of the lift. Lower the weight slowly for negative effect. Try for a four-count rep. One count, power up, then, two, three and four count, a slow decent.

Do Day 1 and Day 2, rest a day, and then do Day 3 and Day 4. Take the weekend off.

Supplements:

Tomorrow I am driving from Birmigham to Trinity, Alabama near Huntsville, to conduct a posing clinic and contest prep seminar at The Rock Fitness Center for four bodybuilders and two figure competitors. They are all training for upcoming shows.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, March 15, 2010

Day 1

Incline Bench Press
4 x 4 x 52.5 pound dumb bells

Flat Dumb Bell Press
4 x 4 x 52.5 pound dumb bells

Wide Grip Lat Pull
4 x 4 x 136 pounds

Heavy Laterals Side
3 x 6 x 17.5 pound dumb bells

Heavy Laterals Bent
3 x 6 x 20 pound dumb bells

Triceps Press down
4 x 6 x 50 pounds

Every rep was performed with a four count. 1, power lift, 2, 3, 4 controlled decent for the negative effect. The muscle group exercised in each lift stayed fully engaged. Great workout.

Supplements:

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, March 17, 2010 Happy St. Patrick's Day

Off-Season Weight: 153.0

Day Two

Leg Press
4 x 6 x 300 pounds

Squats
4 x 6 x 200 pounds

Hack Squat
4 x 5 x 150 pounds

Leg Curl
4 x 5 x 150 pounds

Leg Extension
3 x 4 x 125 pounds

Calf Raises
3 x 10 x 150 pounds

Each rep was done with a one-count push and a three-count negative.

Cardio:

After training 30-minutes of moderate speed treadmill.

Supplements:

Doing the work by controlling the pace of each rep gives me an excellent pump.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, March 22, 2010

Off-Season Weight: 149.0

Weight loss breakthrough. Lose five pounds in two days. How? Contract a stomach virus. I did just that last Wednesday and spent Thursday and Friday with my head in the toilet and Saturday and Sunday in bed, recovering from the illness. I hit the gym this morning wondering how I would train. I did better than I had hoped.

Back and Biceps

Reverse Grip Barbell Row
4 x 4 x 125 pounds

Medium Grip Lat Pull
4 x 4 x 130 pounds

Medium Grip Chin-ups
4 x 6 x bodyweight

Barbell Curl
4 x 4 x 60 pounds

Dumb Bell Curl
4 x 6 x 27.5 pounds

Each rep in this workout was performed with a slow four-count, squeezing the muscle at the top of the rep and lowering the weight for three counts to control the negative.

Cardio:
30 minutes, moderate pace at 70% VO2 Max

Supplements:

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Off-Season Weight: 151.8 pounds

Legs and Calves

Leg Press
4 x 6 x 310 pounds

Squats
4 x 6 x 210 pounds

Hack Squat
4 x 5 x 160 pounds

Leg Curl
4 x 5 x 155 pounds

Leg Extension
3 x 4 x 130 pounds

Calf Raises
3 x 10 x 155 pounds

Cardio:

Supplements:

Doing the work by controlling the pace of each rep gives me an excellent pump.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Friday, March 26, 2010

Off-Season Weight: 151.0

Chest, Shoulders and Triceps:

Dips
4 x 4 x 35 pound hanging plate

Incline Dumb Bell Flies
3 x 4 x 37.5 pounds

Shoulder Press
4 x 4 x 37.5 pound dumb bells (Arnold's)

Seated Behind-the-Head Tricep Extensions
4 x 4 x 55 pound dumb bell

Decline Triceps Extension (skull crushers)
3 x 6 x 60 pound barbell

All reps were performed slowly, power up, slow negative.

Cardio:
After training 30 minutes of moderate pace at 70% VO2 Max

Supplements:

Planet Muscle’s 2010 Platinum “Best of The Best” Award

Planet Muscle's 2010 Gold Award (For Nitric Oxide-Based Products)

I'm fully recovered from my bout of stomach flu and will hit it heavy on Monday.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, March 29, 2010

Incline Bench Press
4 x 4 x 55 pound dumb bells

Flat Dumb Bell Press
4 x 4 x 60 pound dumb bells

Wide Grip Lat Pull
4 x 4 x 146 pounds

Heavy Laterals Side
3 x 6 x 17.5 pound dumb bells

Heavy Laterals Bent

Triceps Press down
4 x 6 x 60 pounds - burn baby

Every rep was performed with a four count. 1, power lift, 2, 3, 4 controlled decent for the negative effect. The muscle group exercised in each lift stayed fully engaged. Great workout.

Cardio:

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Legs and Calves

Leg Press
4 x 6 x 310 pounds

Squats
4 x 6 x 210 pounds

Hack Squat
4 x 5 x 160 pounds

Leg Curl
4 x 5 x 155 pounds

Leg Extension
3 x 4 x 130 pounds

Calf Raises
3 x 10 x 155 pounds

Cardio:

Supplements:

I really like this workout plan. It's intense.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Friday, April 2, 2010

Off-Season Weight: 150.8

Dips
4 x 4 x 45 pound hanging plate. This was a little intense.

Incline Dumb Bell Flies
3 x 4 x 40 pounds

Shoulder Press
4 x 4 x 40 pound dumb bells (Arnold's)

4 x 4 x 60 pound dumb bell

3 x 6 x 60 pound barbell

Cardio:

Supplements:

This was a great week of strength training. I'm winding down from this plan and am getting another one ready to tackle.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Best way to train that stimulates the most muscle mass. Nice work.
That's the way I do it and that's the way I have all of my personal training clients do it. Thanks. Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, April 5, 2010

Off-Season Weight: 152.5

Back and Biceps

Reverse Grip Barbell Row
4 x 4 x 135 pounds

Medium Grip Lat Pull
4 x 4 x 145 pounds

Medium Grip Chin-ups
4 x 6 x bodyweight

Barbell Curl
3 x 4 x 60 pounds
1 x 4 x 70 pounds

Dumb Bell Curl
4 x 6 x 32.5 pounds

Each rep in this workout was performed with a slow four-count, squeezing the muscle at the top of the rep and lowering the weight for three counts to control the negative.

Cardio:

Supplements:

This is the last week of this workout plan. I will began a new plan on Monday.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Weight: 150.4 pounds

20-Somethings

My training partner wanted to do something different today so we took a break from Hypethophy Strength Training and had some fun with a leg and calves workout I call 20-Somethings. You can actually do 20-Somethings with any body part.

We did three slow sets of 20 reps of several legs and calves exercises. We tried to lift each set as heavy as we could for as long as we could and then dropped the weight one plate to finish the 20-rep set.

Leg Press 3 x 20 x 200

Leg Extension 3 x 20 x 140

Seated Leg Curls 3 x 20 x 100

Abductors 3 x 20 x 70

Adductors 3 x 20 reps x 70

Seated Calf Raises 3 x 20 reps x 100

Standing Calf Raises 3 x 20 x bodyweight

Total 20-Somethings Heavy Reps 420 in 60-minutes

Gotta Love It

Cardio:

Supplements:

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Friday, April 9, 2010

I had a body comp done today with a comparason to last year on this date:

2009 Weight 157 pounds
2010 Weight 152 pounds

2009 7-Site Skinfold 13.5% Body Fat
2010 7-Site Skinfold 10.3% Body Fat

2009 Lean Body Mass 136 pounds
2010 Lean Body Mass 136 pounds

Incline Bench Press
4 x 4 x 60 pound dumb bells

Flat Dumb Bell Press
4 x 4 x 65 pound dumb bells

Wide Grip Lat Pull
4 x 4 x 150 pounds

Heavy Laterals Side

Heavy Laterals Bent
3 x 6 x 25 pound dumb bells

Triceps Press down
4 x 6 x 65 pounds - burn baby

Every rep was performed with a four count. 1, power lift, 2, 3, 4 controlled decent for the negative effect. The muscle group exercised in each lift stayed fully engaged. Another great workout.

Cardio:

Supplements:

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, April 12, 2010

Off-Season Weight: 154.0 (Spent too much time this weekend sitting in front of the TV watching the Masters. You can't sit that long without munching.) LOL

Dips
4 x 6 x 45 pound hanging plate.

Incline Dumb Bell Flies
3 x 4 x 45 pounds

Shoulder Press
4 x 4 x 45 pound dumb bells (Arnold's)

4 x 6 x 60 pound dumb bell

4 x 6 x 60 pound barbell

Cardio:

Supplements:

My training partner wants to stay on this plan for a few more weeks, so we will.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Legs and Calves

Leg Press
4 x 6 x 325 pounds

Squats
4 x 6 x 225 pounds

Hack Squat
4 x 5 x 175 pounds

Leg Curl
4 x 5 x 160 pounds

Leg Extension
3 x 4 x 135 pounds

Calf Raises
3 x 10 x 160 pounds

Cardio:

Supplements:

We added weight to every exercise.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Friday, April 16, 2010

Well, I weigh less than I did yesterday. My wallet is a little lighter after paying my taxes.

Back and Biceps

Reverse Grip Barbell Row
4 x 4 x 140 pounds

Medium Grip Lat Pull
4 x 4 x 150 pounds

Medium Grip Chin-ups
4 x 6 x bodyweight

Barbell Curl
3 x 4 x 60 pounds
1 x 4 x 70 pounds

Dumb Bell Curl
4 x 6 x 32.5 pounds

Cardio:

Supplements:

I am using the award winning Flex Wheeler Signature Series as part of my training regimen:

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, April 19, 2010

My training partner was out of town on Friday when I did this workout. He really wanted to do it today, so we did and I increased my weights from Friday.

Back and Biceps

Reverse Grip Barbell Row
4 x 4 x 155 pounds

Medium Grip Lat Pull
4 x 4 x 160 pounds

Medium Grip Chin-ups
4 x 6 x bodyweight

Barbell Curl
2 x 4 x 60 pounds
2 x 4 x 70 pounds

Dumb Bell Curl
4 x 6 x 35 pounds

Cardio:

Supplements:

I am using the award winning Flex Wheeler Signature Series as part of my training regimen:

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Off-Season Weight: 151.4 pounds

Legs and Calves

Leg Press
4 x 6 x 325 pounds

Squats
4 x 6 x 225 pounds

Hack Squat
4 x 6 x 175 pounds

Leg Curl
4 x 6 x 160 pounds

Leg Extension
4 x 6 x 135 pounds

Calf Raises
3 x 20 x 160 pounds

Cardio:

Supplements:

Slamming, jamming legs workout!

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Saturday, April 24, 2010

Incline Bench Press
4 x 6 x 60 pound dumb bells

Flat Dumb Bell Press
4 x 6 x 65 pound dumb bells

Wide Grip Lat Pull
4 x 6 x 160 pounds

Heavy Laterals Side
4 x 6 x 22.5 pound dumb bells

Heavy Laterals Bent
4 x 6 x 25 pound dumb bells

Triceps Press down
4 x 6 x 65 pounds

Every rep was performed with a four count. 1, power lift, 2, 3, 4 controlled decent for the negative effect. The muscle group exercised in each lift stayed fully engaged. Another great workout.

Cardio:

Supplements:

I'm getting ready to celebrate my 67th birthday on Wedneday. Funny, I used to think 60 was old. Now, as I near 67, I'm wondering what it's like to be old? Maybe when I turn 80? :006:

Old Navy Captain

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, April 26, 2010

Back, Shoulders and Biceps

Reverse Grip Barbell Row
4 x 6 x 155 pounds

Medium Grip Lat Pull
4 x 6 x 160 pounds

Medium Grip Chin-ups
4 x 6 x bodyweight

Dumb Bell Shrugs (front, side, back, side shrug count as one rep)
4 x 6 x 35 pounds

Bar Bell Shoulder Presses
4 x 6 x 60 pounds

Barbell Curl
4 x 6 x 60 pounds

Dumb Bell Curl
4 x 6 x 35 pounds

Cardio:

Supplements:

We are still winding down from this plan. The problem of quitting is that we like doing this work. We will start something new on May 1st.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Off-Season Weight: 151.4 pounds

Legs and Calves

Leg Press
4 x 6 x 325 pounds

Squats
4 x 6 x 225 pounds

Hack Squat
4 x 6 x 175 pounds

Leg Curl
4 x 6 x 160 pounds

Leg Extension
4 x 6 x 135 pounds

Calf Raises
3 x 20 x 160 pounds

Cardio:

Supplements:

Real Men do Squats on their Birthday! Ha, ha, ha.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Weight: 151.4 pounds

One Set Max of 20-Somethings

We did one slow-paced set of 20 reps of several legs and calves exercises. We tried to lift each set as heavy as we could for as long as we could without dropping the weight.

Leg Press 1 x 20 x 300

Leg Extension 1 x 20 x 160

Seated Leg Curls 1 x 20 x 140

Abductors 1 x 20 x 75

Adductors 1 x 20 x 75

Seated Calf Raises 3 x 25 x 110

Standing Calf Raises 3 x 25 x Bodyweight

Gotta Love It.

This early morning session followed yesterday evening's U.S. Navy Day at my YMCA where I am the Fitness Director. I participated in the U.S. Navy Seals Fitness Challenge which included a 250 yards swim, a mile and-a-half run (12:30), 2-minutes of sit ups (67), 2-minutes of push ups (40) and full pull ups, full extension down and chin over the bar (11). I won the 60 years and older class.

Supplements:

Old Navy

Attachments

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Old Navy's New Training Regimen

Full-Body Hypertrophy Workout

DAY 1

Pull Ups, medium grip: as many sets as needed to get in 50 reps

Dumbbell Row: 3 X 4-6 with a drop on the last set (drop sets do 6 reps drop the weight 30% and go to failure)

Pull Down with V bar: 3 X 6

Rack Dead Lifts: 2 X 4-6, 1 X 30

Curls: 3 X 4-6 with last set as a drop

Preacher Curl 2 X 6-8 with burns on last set (burns are 1/4 reps at the mid point)

Dumbbell Bench/Flies: 3 X 10-12, Positive stroke a press, negative stroke is a fly

Upright Row, medium grip: 2 X 10-12

Seated Triceps Extension: 2 X 10-12

Leg Extension: 1 X 50-100 (on 50-100 rep sets pick a light weight and go for 50-100 nonstop, this burns)

Seated Leg Curl: 1 X 50-100

Calf press: 1 X 50-100

DAY 2

Squats: 4 X 4-8, 1 X 30

Hack Squat 3 X 4-6 last set with static hold in the 1/2 position for 30 seconds

Lunges 3 X 4-6, last set do a drop

Leg Curl 3 X 4-6 last set do slow 8-10 seconds of negative

Hyperextensions or Glute Ham rise: 2 X 4-6

Seated Calf Raises: 2 X 8-10 hold bottom and top 2 seconds

Standing calf: 2 X 20-30 drop sets

Lat Pull Downs: 2 X 12

Cable rows: 2 X 12

Cable curls: 2 X 12

Peck deck: 1 X 50-100

Machine laterals: 1 X 30-50

Machine triceps extension: 1 X 30-50

DAY 3

Incline press: 3 X 4-6 with last set a drop

Dips: 3 X 4-6 last set do burns (1/4 movements at the midrange)

Dumb Bell Flat Bench: 2 X 4-6

Push Press: 3 X 4-6

Side Laterals: 2 X 4-6

Bent Over Laterals: 2 X 4-6

Decline Dumb Bell Triceps Extensions: 3 X 4-6 with slow negatives

Triceps Dip: 2 X 6-8 with static hold

Sissy Squats: 2 X 12

Seated Leg Curls: 2 X 12

Calf Press: 2 X 15

Straight Arm Pull Down: 1 X 50-100

Machine Curls: 1 X 30-50

Do Cardio Between Workout Days:

DAY 1

30 min intervals on Stairmaster or treadmill, 2 minutes of medium and 1 minute of all out gut buster, then back down.

DAY 2

Combat cardio: 5 cycles of the following

Jump Rope 2 min
30 Mountain Climbers
30 Squat Thrust
30 Push-Ups
30 Side Straddle Hops

Puke Once and Repeat

DAY 3

45 Minutes of Moderate Cardio

My training partner and I will start this plan on Monday.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, May 10, 2010

Full-Body Hypertrophy Workout

Off Season Weight 154.2 pounds

DAY ONE

Pull Ups, Medium Grip
5 x 10 x bodyweight

Dumbbell Row
3 x 6 x 40 pound dumb bells
1 x 15 x 35 pound dumb bells drop set

Pull Down with V bar
3 X 6 x 130 pounds

Rack Dead Lifts
2 x 6 x 155 pounds
1 x 30 x 105 pounds

Dumb Bell Curls
3 x 6 x 25 pound dumb bells
1 x 15 x 20 pound dumb bells drop set

Preacher Curl
2 x 8 x 35 pounds
1 x 20 x 35 pounds short pump reps for a burn

Dumbbell Bench Press/Flies with the positive stroke as a press, negative stroke as a fly
3 x 12 x 35 pound dumb bells (this was tough)

Upright Cable Row, medium grip
2 x 12 x 50 pounds

Seated Triceps Cable Extension
2 x 12 x 50 pounds

Leg Extension
1 x 50 x 55 pounds (burn baby, burn)

Seated Leg Curl
1 x 50 x 95 pounds (too easy)

Calf press
1 X 75 x 115

Cardio
30 minutes of tread mill with some HITT speed work thrown in

Kre-Alkalyn EFX PRO Pre-Workout Energy and Muscle Activator Supplements:

This was the first day of our new training regimen. By moving quickly, we managed to finish the session in 60-minutes.

Old Navy