Official College Football Thread

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
It looks like Tiller got the Boilers focused again! It was good to see the offense and defense bounce back from their beating at UofM.

An added bonus was that ESPN cooperated and showed the game on the West Coast.

This week, we play No. 10 Iowa at home.

~Todd

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Man, I can't believe Virginia Tech laid such an ass-whupping on Miami. Looks like USC might sneek in the title game against Oklahoma, I think Florida St. is a little overrated and should not play for the Nat'l Title. Michigan or Ohio St. can also possibly get in there

txwakeskater

Awards
Big 10 aint got nothin on the big 12 :D Of course my Sooners are still killing it. Who's USC again? :D That miami game was nuts..... :)

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
I agree that the Sooners are the real deal, but in the BCS I only see two Big 12 teams compared to four Big 10 teams. IMO all four ranked Big 10 teams are better than the Texas Longhorns (the second Big 12 team).

~Todd

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Who's USC again? :D
Don't underestimate my Trojans, they had a hiccup against Cal, but they've dominated Washington St, Auburn, and everyone else they've played. I think they can give the Sooners are scare, but yeah, Oklahoma is better than the rest of the pack. Texas and Nebraska can't hold a candle to the Sooners right now. The Big 12 would be pretty weak for a big conference if they didn't have Oklahoma. BTW, don't the Gators feel jealous watching Bob Stoops dominate at Oklahoma

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Ok, so PSU lost so hard I almost wept :D

As much as I love them.......damn they suck this year!! :D

I was at last years' game against NW and it was when Larry Johnson broke 2000 yards. They were 53 (or 56, whatever) to 0 by the half just bitchslapping NW, and they get beaten this year?! WTF?!! :mad:

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
Purdue manhandled Iowa today (until they put in the prevent defense). All in all, a good win against a higher ranked team. ESPN cooperated once again and played the game on the West Coast.

The 8-2 Boilers have a tough road game at Ohio State next weekend.

~Todd

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Well TN handed Miami a home loss and Auburn got beat by Ole Miss
and Bama won big against Miss State.. all in all good day in the SEC :D

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Man, some surprises IMO. I thought Miami was good enough to beat Tennessee at home but go figure. Florida St got the **** kicked out of them by Clemson, which they should have beaten. I still think it'll be USC playing Oklahoma. Damm Sooners look real scary, 77-0 over Texas A&M, OUCH !

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
I liked that OU win because they beat the hell out of Coach Fran.. sorry just don't like the man.. maybe alittle bit more that Mike "The Stripper King" Price but not much..

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
"The Stripper King"
LMAO, good one Matt. I can't comprehend for the life of me why he would risk such a great job at Bama for some lap dances, I guess there still is no cure for stupidity. He would have a tough time recruiting good players because of this incident.

txwakeskater

Awards
Damn Good game with OU this weekend. Once again im super impressed with their performance. I wish they wouldve scored on their last drive and beat their record instead of being classy and kneeling the ball. THen Joe Jolly gives him( OU back) a big suplex because he's a frustrated big boy i guess.... :p

I really liked Miami this year but they have had sum hard losses and Kellen Winslow's comments about knocking people out and being glad along with it pissed me off. And then he thinks he's Master P's side kick and say's he a " Fu*king soldier". That bit&h ass needs to be taken to iraq and see who the real soldier's are.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
That bit&h ass needs to be taken to iraq and see who the real soldier's are.
I wholeheartedly agree with you, football somehow makes players believe that they're in the military. When I played in a community college we would have a "hit the beach" reference after we called the play on defense. I was like WTF, we're not in Normandy during WWII. What Winslow said is disrespectful to the REAL SOLDIERS, but he's right about trying to hurt players, just don't make an ass out of yourself when talking about. It wouldn't have cost him a damm thing to say the politically correct thing in respect to Tennessee and the injured player.

Rictor33

Awards
  • Established
"ITS A WAR OUT THERE, THEIR TRYING TO KILL ME SO IL KILL THEM 1st IM A FUCKING SOLDIER" that **** was funny. Did anyone see him punch brandon manning in the VT game? What an asshole, I wonder if he has an entourage with people around him telling him how great he is all the time, he sure behaves like it calling himself "the chosen one". Now the guy is awesome and I think he's the next Shockey or better when he hits the NFL, but what the **** is with these tight ends talking so much **** (miami ones). Can't they just shut the **** up and let their playing do the talking i.e. Tony Gonzalez.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Well Rictor, these guys somehow think it's cool to talk **** and be a "bad boy". I'm surprised he turned out this way since his father was a helluva player and he didn't act like this, maybe it's just a Miami attitude thing which we have seen from Warren Sapp, Michael Irvin, Jeremy Shockey. I wouldn't put Ray Lewis in this group 'cause he doesn't talk ****, he just scares the hell out of you.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
Shannon Sharpe was the mouth that roared long before the Miami boys.

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
Purdue took the Buckeyes into overtime before succumbing. That puts the Boilers at 8 & 3 going into their last game with Indiana. A 9 & 3 season should put the Boilers in a decent bowl game, but it won't be the Rose Bowl :(

Looks like the Buckeyes control their own destiny. IF they beat Michigan next weekend, their strength of schedule should put them above USC, and they should be playing the Sooners for the championship.

~Todd

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I'd rather see USC vs. Oklahoma Todd. I love the Trojans as Cali guy, and I think they'd beat Ohio St in a neutral site. Ohio St has been way too lucky this year, they could have easily lost 4-5 games by now. Too bad there is no play-off system 'cause that would determine the real champion better than a freakin computer

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
You know......

as much as I love Penn State, I think a much better idea from now on is for them to simply don clown outfits and ride out onto the field on little teeny bikes. At least that way we'll all laugh when they get their asses handed to them :)

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
now I've generally kept out of this thread because of my past affiliation with Oklahoma and my long standing hatred of the state (10 years worth, to be exact), BUT I feel that I should go ahead and say OU will continue to lay waste and generally pluck the eyes out and **** the sockets of everybody in their path (if you'll pardon the French)... now, back to the real football thread for me!

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Here we go brother, Pitt vs. the U tomorrow at 8:00. This will be an eye opener. At least if we win, we will have something to show for this season.

What do you guys think of the Heisman? I gotta take Fitzgerald all the way, any thoughts?

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
Fitzgerald is great, but I have to go with OU's quarterback.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Fitzgerald is the best player in college football, but since Josh White will get the Heisman because he's the QB for top ranked Oklahoma. QB's get way too much preference for the Heisman trophy.

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
ESPN has been pimping Fitzgerald like they have some alterior motive. If you compare White's numbers to past Heisman QB winners then it'd be a crime for him not to get it.

~Todd

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
WOW, its been a dissapointing year for Pittsburgh, thats for sure.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
ESPN has been pimping Fitzgerald like they have some alterior motive.
~Todd
Yep, they have many Big East games in their programming and no Big 12 games, so that gives them a motive to pimp Fitzgerald. This guy will tear it up in the pros when he leaves Pitt, if any sophomore should be draft eligible it's him, not Maurice Clarett

lvtrojan

Awards
Damn, ive never noticed this thread before..guess i should have looked around.

Glad to see my Trojans getting a little respect. After all that is my handle (and my alma mater).

First we pound the beavers...then the sooners. Sooners are an awesome team, but they are NOT unbeatable.

Jweave my condolences on PSU. Time to pull the plug there. When schools from Cali are snagging studs out of JoePa's backyard, well youve got problems.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Holy cow, what kind of drugs were the Sooners taking yesterday. I know K-State isn't sorry, but they killed the Sooners 35-7. Do you guys think that hurts Jason White's Heisman run ?

Also, I don't think Oklahoma should be in the title game. They lost their conference and USC + LSU won theirs. It's just a mess with this system anyways. They better not leave the Trojans out dammit, that would be criminal.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
The BCS is such bullshit. No way the Trojans shouldn't be playing for the National Championship. They've only destroyed the last 2.5 months worth of opponents. Bullshit I say.

lvtrojan

Awards
couldnt agree more...

i dont consider playing Michigan in the Rose Bowl a consolation prize. We beat Michigan and its a split NC (AP vs. BCS). Consequence is that the BCS is forced to change, and hopefully place less emphasis on the f'in computers and more on common sense. A playoff would ultimately be the best, obviously.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by lvtrojan
Jweave my condolences on PSU. Time to pull the plug there. When schools from Cali are snagging studs out of JoePa's backyard, well youve got problems.
Tell me about it. I think it's just so sad thaey had a strong season last year with Larry Johnson and all, then.......it all went to ****, even thought there is some decent talent on the team. I don't think JoePa is exactly to blame, but something has got to give for next season.

Originally posted by tatortodd

It looks like it's going to be a classic Big 10 vs. Pac 10 game at the Rose Bowl.

~Todd
Agreed. :)

size

Awards
  • Established
I am not sure how much you guys follow everything, but I do it very closely, as, it is part of my income.

Now I would like to see LSU play USC but let me give you some facts and then you can decide. However to me, the facts point that it should be OU vs LSU. My main problem is that OU did not win there conference. The facts:

USC has not played a current top-15 team, and the Trojans are only 2-1 vs. the current top-40, despite playing #38 and #40.
The 2nd-best team USC has played is #38 Cal, which beat the Trojans.

OU is 2-1 against current top 25.
LSU is 4-1 against current top 25.
USC is 1-0 against current top 25 with their loss coming from #38.

6 teams have scored 20+ pts on USC yet the lack of top 25 teams played.
5 teams have scored 20+ pts, on OU.
1 team scored 20+ on LSU, mind you all the top 25 teams played.

Also, LSU just on the SEC title in a game that was essentially a home game for Georgia.

I have more if you want it. But these stats say alot to me.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
The only reason teams were scoring on USC was that USC had a huge lead by halftime and maybe gave some points up late in the game except for this last game. USC would kill LSU and if OU plays the way they did Saturday night they would have been killed too. USC got robbed. Playoffs. We need stinkin Playoffs:D

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
The one loss Division 1 Teams

NOTE: I put this together, but some of the records against ranked teams look different than what size posted. :(

The one loss Division 1 Teams

Oklahoma
Oklahoma beat two top 20 ranked teams by an average margin of victory of 42 points. Their only loss did not occur during regular season, and was to a team that was ranked 13th at the time and finished 10th in the final BCS standings. Finished the season 12 & 1.

LSU
LSU beat three top 20 ranked teams by an average margin of victory of 10.3 points. Their only loss was to a team that was ranked 15th in the final BCS standings. Finished the season 12 & 1.

USC
USC beat one top 20 ranked teams by a margin of victory of 25 points. Their only loss was to a team that was never ranked. Finished the season 11 & 1.

Miami of Ohio (MAC)
The Redhawks did not beat one single top 20 ranked teams. Their only loss occurred on opening day to a team that was ranked 13th in the final BCS standings. Finished the season 12 & 1.

Boise State
Boise State did not beat one single top 20 ranked teams. Their only loss was to a team that was never ranked. Finished the season 12 & 1.

TCU
TCU did not beat one single top 20 ranked teams. Their only loss was to a team that was never ranked. Finished the season 11 & 1.

~Todd

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
Now, on to something less controversial, but I care more about.

Purdue is playing in the Capital One Bowl vs. Georgia on New Year's Day at 1:00 PM EST.

~Todd

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
That will be a game to watch. Georgia has a lot to prove to themselves and the rest of the country. In each of the games that they played ranked oppentents they didn't do as well as expected. Also coming off the spanking that they took at the hands of the next national champs in the SEC championships, they are going to be headhunting and Purdue will make as good as any target around.

size

Awards
  • Established
First, let me apologize. Those stats I threw up were from stuff I wrote down last night before today's polls came out. So it is a little off but only by 1 day. They still show some interesting pts.

USC would kill LSU and if OU plays the way they did Saturday night they would have been killed too. USC got robbed. Playoffs. We need stinkin Playoffs:D
If you believe USC would kill LSU, it is obvious that you are very partial towards USC. It would be a good game to watch though b/c it would be interesting to see how USC could handle LSU blitz packages.

More info though:
USC has only won 2 games against teams with 8 or more wins.
OU has won 4 games against teams with 8 or more wins.
LSU has won 4 games against teams with 8 or more wins.

Lets face it, the argument will not die and people who are partial to one team or another will not back down. Playoffs are logical but not applicable at this time. So I will move on.

GA vs Purdue- Purdue is 9-3 against the spread but you really need to see the pts first.
If I had to pick straight up, I would take GA b/c of the defense and they are close to home.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
The funny thing about LSU is that they are all young. Their 3 awesome running back are all freshmen.. so this is a team on the rise if injuries don't hurt them in the next few years. I also agree with size on the USC, LSU match up.. I don't know if USC has had to try to handle a team with the speed and size that LSU has on defense..

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
TatorTodd, I thought USC's one loss came against Auburn at the beginning of the season who at the time were ranked #6.

tphillip23

tphillip23

Awards
well let me first say that i'm from MS, so i'm a little partial to LSU and the SEC, but i don't think many are doubting that LSU should be in the sugar bowl. i do think it is a little ridiculous for a team that loses its conf. championship to be in the nat'l championship, but i was unaware of the stats some of you posted regarding the teams' opponents and such. those stats make it seem a little more reasonable, but it still bothers me that OU lost its last game and are still in the championship.

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
That will be a game to watch. Georgia has a lot to prove to themselves and the rest of the country. In each of the games that they played ranked oppentents they didn't do as well as expected. Also coming off the spanking that they took at the hands of the next national champs in the SEC championships, they are going to be headhunting and Purdue will make as good as any target around.
GA vs Purdue- Purdue is 9-3 against the spread but you really need to see the pts first.
If I had to pick straight up, I would take GA b/c of the defense and they are close to home.
I'm just happy that we didn't get passed over this year. In the past, Bowls have selected lower ranked Big 10 teams over Purdue because of some perceived difference in attendance.

Also, in the 2000 Outback Bowl, Purdue had a huge lead and shutout going into half-time against Georgia, but the second half Georgia pitched a shutout and won. There are a handful of seniors left on the team that were present for that debacle, and I expect Tiller will use it for motivation.

~Todd

size

Awards
  • Established
GA has a very good team. Greene is a smart QB who has played well all year except against LSU. Defense is very strong.

lvtrojan

Awards
good points

Basically good points all around.

Unfortunately for USC the OOC they scheduled went on to have crappy year (Auburn, ND, BYU, Hawaii). with the exception of Hawaii three of those teams are year in year out decent teams, however not this year. Hawaii usually does ok though. On top of that the pac-10 had a crappy year as well. Hopefully they can salvage some dignity in the bowl games.

Obviously the computers cannot watch games, and go strictly by wins-losses, with no emphasis on margin of victory. So in the end USC (or any other team) could have won every game on the same schedule by 300 points and because of a road game 3-OT loss in conference, they would still wind up #3 in the BCS.

But like i said we may wind up with a split NC and this should force a change in the system for the better. But dont forget this whole BCS thing is ABC's creation of a way to genereate the most $$$ they could by basically calling the bowls they show the "elite bowls" and then setting up a computer system o determine who plays in them, not the NCAA. There is still not an NCAA champion in football.

size

Awards
  • Established
Re: good points

But like i said we may wind up with a split NC and this should force a change in the system for the better. But dont forget this whole BCS thing is ABC's creation of a way to genereate the most $$$ they could by basically calling the bowls they show the "elite bowls" and then setting up a computer system o determine who plays in them, not the NCAA. There is still not an NCAA champion in football.
This is true but it was agreed upon by Universities as it generates more money for them also.

By the way, Hawaii was one of the two victories by USC over an 8+ win team, they were 8-5, and Wash. St. was 9-3.

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
I've always liked the idea of turning the smaller bowl games into the beginning rounds of a playoff system, and the big name bowl games for the semi-finals and championship. That'd keep the corporate sponsorship to satisfy the $$$, and the rotating locations to help with local tourism. Best of all, we'd have a playoff system to determine the real national championship.

Now, if we could only get rid of them pesky final exams, papers, and projects so we could have our boys playing the entire month of December without distractions. :D

~Todd

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
I liked the idea they floated on Around the Horn today. Get Don King to make a deal with the two winners of the Sugar Bowl and Rose Bowl and one of the networks and make a game two weeks after the Bowls. Hell, if anyone could get it done, it would be Don King.

labrad

Awards
  • Established
Yes, there should be a playoff. I think it would be feasible to have the top 8 teams in a tournament.

Having said that, I feel that the BCS picked the 2 best teams to play in the Sugar Bowl.