Off season training question

SR83

SR83

Awards
Have been reading/watching a lot of interviews with pro's and most of them were talking about their off season training and how they only lift 4 days a week. My question is why do they lift only 4 days? I know a lot of it is for recovery, but in my off season I am eating a **** ton and using and typically lift atleast 5 days a week sometimes 6. Should I be stixking to a 4 day split?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Hm depends on how you recover and what you are used to , I rather power-lifting or strength geared programs 4 days a week since they do include whole body compounds and I'll throw in the hypertrophy I desire in the assistance work, besides compounds are just best for growing.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
IMO pros can hit their workouts with such vigor that they need that time to recover. its the whole relationship between volume, intensity, and frequency.

many times people will do more thinking they need to do more. these same people are also horrible at adjusting the intensity and volume to account for the frequency. and these variables also change with your work capacity and recovery ability which do not change in unison. to me this is where knowing the science is great but not knowing the art of exercise programming can cause you to have a subpar workout. paralysis by analysis is what some call it.

also Pros will do other work on what can be called off days. things that they may not consider a workout, like mobility work. some like jim wendler recommends will do conditioning work on non lifting days. or some powerlifters i know will do high volume low intensity active recovery stuff 3 days a week while lifting and conditioning 4 days a week so they are doing something every day but will generally only talk about a 4 day a week lifting program.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Have been reading/watching a lot of interviews with pro's and most of them were talking about their off season training and how they only lift 4 days a week. My question is why do they lift only 4 days? I know a lot of it is for recovery, but in my off season I am eating a **** ton and using and typically lift atleast 5 days a week sometimes 6. Should I be stixking to a 4 day split?
Could also be (especially with IFBB pros) in order to reduce wear and tear on the joints, and try to reduce the risk of overuse injuries.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
OP, only you can answer this question as you should know better than anyone what your body reacts positively to and what your ideal load is.

Tboz

Banned
Awards
there are also alot of pros that work out 5-7 days a week.. Arnold did 7 straight in his hay day