NOxidant Write-Up

Flyboy

Flyboy

Awards
  • Established
I've printed off this page, so I now have that in writing...

I'll let you off the hook If someone intervenes with high explosives and the like, I doubt nOxidant is much use there! That however is the only exception, I expect full protection from other more mundane forms of death such as being run over by the number 53 bus from oxford.

And hurry up and release that mullet protection system will you, I needz mah luscious locks to stay intact for all those years.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've printed off this page, so I now have that in writing...

I'll let you off the hook If someone intervenes with high explosives and the like, I doubt nOxidant is much use there! That however is the only exception, I expect full protection from other more mundane forms of death such as being run over by the number 53 bus from oxford.

And hurry up and release that mullet protection system will you, I needz mah luscious locks to stay intact for all those years.
Lol - That was classic! :lol:

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
SideNote....be sure to pick up the September issue of PowerliftingUSA and check out the great article on Antioxidants and their role in muscle growth and contractions, with a nice feature on NOxidant.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
SideNote....be sure to pick up the September issue of PowerliftingUSA and check out the great article on Antioxidants and their role in muscle growth and contractions, with a nice feature on NOxidant.
A great article indeed!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A VERY good and VERY indepth article on Antioxidants and Oxidative Stress:

Invited Review: Oxidation of Biological Systems: Oxidative Stress Phenomena, Antioxidants, Redox Reactions, and Methods for Their Quantification -- Kohen and Nyska 30 (6): 620 -- Toxicologic Pathology

Here is the abstract of this article for those that may have a hard time understanding it:

Invited Review: Oxidation of Biological Systems: Oxidative Stress Phenomena, Antioxidants, Redox Reactions, and Methods for Their Quantification
Ron Kohen
Department of Pharmaceutics, School of Pharmacy, the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel, [email protected]

Abraham Nyska

Laboratory of Experimental Pathology, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS), Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA

Reactive oxygen species (ROS) and other radicals are involved in a variety of biological phenomena, such as mutation, carcinogenesis, degenerative and other diseases, inflammation, aging, and development. ROS are well recognized for playing a dual role as deleterious and beneficial species. The objectives of this review are to describe oxidative stress phenomena, terminology, definitions, and basic chemical characteristics of the species involved; examine the biological targets susceptible to oxidation and the defense mechanisms of the organism against these reactive metabolites; and analyze methodologies, including immunohistochemical markers, used in toxicological pathology in the visualization of oxidative stress phenomena. Direct detection of ROS and other free radicals is difficult, because these molecules are short-lived and highly reactive in a nonspecific manner. Ongoing oxidative damage is, thus, generally analyzed by measurement of secondary products including derivatives of amino acids, nuclei acids, and lipid peroxidation. Attention has been focused on electrochemical methods based on voltammetry measurements for evaluating the total reducing power of biological fluids and tissues. This approach can function as a tool to assess the antioxidant-reducing profile of a biological site and follow changes in pathological situations. This review thus includes different topics essential for understanding oxidative stress phenomena and provides tools for those intending to conduct study and research in this field.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Just picked up my first bottle of NoXidant with the nutra sale order. I smell a new staple along with my NOW Adam!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just picked up my first bottle of NoXidant with the nutra sale order. I smell a new staple along with my NOW Adam!
Sounds like a plan to me! :thumbsup:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
BUMP for some more NOxidant questions or success stories!

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Just got my first bottle of NoXidant and looking forward to my first dose.

Just had a quick question. I am going to do the 3 before bed on training days, and 3 in the morning on non training days, but want to make sure I won't interfere with it with my other supplementation at the moment. Would there be any issues taking NoXidant along with my Powerfull dose before bed? I also don't see any issues taking the non workout dose with my first meal, but would there be any issues if I had taken in ReCreate or P-Slin prior to this dose.

I assume it won't matter for the later, but just wanted to confirm that its straight to take it with Powerfull.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
no problems that I see at all.

Flyboy

Flyboy

Awards
  • Established
Just started noxidant last week after finally getting my shipment through.

Not really noticed any difference in my life yet, although i didn't expect to either. It's more for the long term health benefits that i'm interested in this product!

Just a note - I'm wondering if this might have some benefits (as one small part of a regime) as regards hairloss... some of the ingredients look promising in that respect. Any thoughts? What type of apple poly's do you use? procyanidin B-2 by any chance?

Cheers (oh, DCP seems awesome by the way!)

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I thought this was an interesting addition to this write-up in regard to gamma-tocopherol's role in colon cancer prevention as well as inflammatory and cardiovascular disorders:

Gamma (gamma) tocopherol upregulates peroxisome proliferator activated receptor (PPAR) gamma (gamma) expression in SW 480 human colon cancer cell lines.Campbell

SE, Stone WL, Whaley SG, Qui M, Krishnan K.
Division of Hematology-Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, East Tennessee State University and James H, Quillen VA Medical Center, Johnson City, TN 37614, USA. [email protected]

BACKGROUND: Tocopherols are lipid soluble antioxidants that exist as eight structurally different isoforms. The intake of gamma-tocopherol is higher than alpha-tocopherol in the average US diet. The clinical results of the effects of vitamin E as a cancer preventive agent have been inconsistent. All published clinical trials with vitamin E have used alpha-tocopherol. Recent epidemiological, experimental and molecular studies suggest that gamma-tocopherol may be a more potent chemopreventive form of vitamin E compared to the more-studied alpha-tocopherol. Gamma-tocopherol exhibits differences in its ability to detoxify nitrogen dioxide, growth inhibitory effects on selected cancer cell lines, inhibition of neoplastic transformation in embryonic fibroblasts, and inhibition of cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) activity in macrophages and epithelial cells. Peroxisome proliferator activator receptor gamma (PPARgamma) is a promising molecular target for colon cancer prevention. Upregulation of PPARgamma activity is anticarcinogenic through its effects on downstream genes that affect cellular proliferation and apoptosis. The thiazolidine class of drugs are powerful PPARgamma ligands. Vitamin E has structural similarity to the thiazolidine, troglitazone. In this investigation, we tested the effects of both alpha and gamma tocopherol on the expression of PPARgamma mRNA and protein in SW 480 colon cancer cell lines. We also measured the intracellular concentrations of vitamin E in SW 480 colon cancer cell lines. RESULTS: We have discovered that the alpha and gamma isoforms of vitamin E upregulate PPARgamma mRNA and protein expression in the SW480 colon cancer cell lines. gamma-Tocopherol is a better modulator of PPARgamma expression than alpha-tocopherol at the concentrations tested. Intracellular concentrations increased as the vitamin E concentration added to the media was increased. Further, gamma-tocopherol-treated cells have higher intracellular tocopherol concentrations than those treated with the same concentrations of alpha-tocopherol. CONCLUSION: Our data suggest that both alpha and gamma tocopherol can upregulate the expression of PPARgamma which is considered an important molecular target for colon cancer chemoprevention. We show that the expression of PPARgamma mRNA and protein are increased and these effects are more pronounced with gamma-tocopherol. Gamma-tocopherol's ability to upregulate PPARgamma expression and achieve higher intracellular concentrations in the colonic tissue may be relevant to colon cancer prevention. We also show that the intracellular concentrations of gamma-tocopherol are several fold higher than alpha-tocopherol. Further work on other colon cancer cell lines are required to quantitate differences in the ability of these forms of vitamin E to induce apoptosis, suppress cell proliferation and act as PPAR ligands as well as determine their effects in conjunction with other chemopreventive agents. Upregulation of PPARgamma by the tocopherols and in particular by gamma-tocopherol may have relevance not only to cancer prevention but also to the management of inflammatory and cardiovascular disorders.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Another good read on the benefits of Gamma-Tocopherol:

gamma-tocopherol, the major form of vitamin E in the US diet, deserves more attention.Jiang Q, Christen S, Shigenaga MK, Ames BN.
University of California, the Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, Berkeley, USA.

gamma-tocopherol is the major form of vitamin E in many plant seeds and in the US diet, but has drawn little attention compared with alpha-tocopherol, the predominant form of vitamin E in tissues and the primary form in supplements. However, recent studies indicate that gamma-tocopherol may be important to human health and that it possesses unique features that distinguish it from alpha-tocopherol. gamma-Tocopherol appears to be a more effective trap for lipophilic electrophiles than is alpha-tocopherol. gamma-Tocopherol is well absorbed and accumulates to a significant degree in some human tissues; it is metabolized, however, largely to 2,7,8-trimethyl-2-(beta-carboxyethyl)-6-hydroxychroman (gamma-CEHC), which is mainly excreted in the urine. gamma-CEHC, but not the corresponding metabolite derived from alpha-tocopherol, has natriuretic activity that may be of physiologic importance. Both gamma-tocopherol and gamma-CEHC, but not alpha-tocopherol, inhibit cyclooxygenase activity and, thus, possess antiinflammatory properties. Some human and animal studies indicate that plasma concentrations of gamma-tocopherol are inversely associated with the incidence of cardiovascular disease and prostate cancer. These distinguishing features of gamma-tocopherol and its metabolite suggest that gamma-tocopherol may contribute significantly to human health in ways not recognized previously. This possibility should be further evaluated, especially considering that high doses of alpha-tocopherol deplete plasma and tissue gamma-tocopherol, in contrast with supplementation with gamma-tocopherol, which increases both. We review current information on the bioavailability, metabolism, chemistry, and nonantioxidant activities of gamma-tocopherol and epidemiologic data concerning the relation between gamma-tocopherol and cardiovascular disease and cancer.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Another GREAT read on Gamma-Tocopherol:

Enhancement of intracellular gamma-tocopherol levels in cytokine-stimulated C3H 10T1/2 fibroblasts: relation to NO synthesis, isoprostane formation, and tocopherol oxidation.Tanaka Y, Wood LA, Cooney RV.
University of Hawaii Cancer Research Center, Natural Products and Cancer Biology Program, 1236 Lauhala Street, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813, USA. [email protected]

BACKGROUND: Stimulation of C3H 10T1/2 murine fibroblasts with interferon-gamma(IFN) and bacterial lipopolysaccharide (LPS) generates reactive oxygen and nitrogen species leading to DNA damage, lipid oxidation, and tocopherol oxidation. The tocopherols possess unique chemical and biological properties that suggest they have important roles related to intracellular defense against radical-mediated damage. RESULTS: Despite increased levels of reactive oxidants and decreased media tocopherol, cellular levels of gamma-tocopherol, but not alpha-tocopherol, were observed to increase significantly when cells were treated with IFN/LPS. Inhibition of nitric oxide (NO) synthesis by a specific inhibitor of inducible NO synthase (iNOS) increased both intracellular alpha-tocopherol and gamma-tocopherol concentrations, but did not significantly alter the reduction in media tocopherol levels caused by IFN/LPS treatment. Both exposure to exogenous NO and cellular synthesis of NO in cell culture increased media levels of 8-epi-prostaglandin F2alpha, a marker of oxidative lipid damage, whereas inhibition of endogenous NO synthesis reduced media 8-epi-prostaglandin F2alpha formation to control levels. CONCLUSION: Elevated intracellular levels of gamma-tocopherol in response to the cellular inflammatory state may indicate that it serves a unique role in minimizing cellular damage resulting from endogenous NO synthesis. Results of the current study suggest that NO is an important mediator of damage within the cell, as well as in the oxidation of both alpha- and gamma-tocopherols. The paradoxical increase in cellular tocopherol associated with the induction of NO synthesis may indicate either enhanced cellular transport/decreased export for tocopherols or recruitment of free tocopherol from tocopherol storage molecules.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
One more! It's worth it. :D

This has some GREAT info on Gamma-Tocopherol and diabetes type 1 prevention:

gamma-tocopherol partially protects insulin-secreting cells against functional inhibition by nitric oxide.Sjöholm A, Berggren PO, Cooney RV.
Cancer Research Center of Hawaii, Molecular Carcinogenesis Program, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 1236 Lauhala Street, Honolulu, Hawaii, 96813-2424, USA. [email protected]

Preceding the onset of type 1 diabetes mellitus, pancreatic islets are infiltrated by macrophages secreting interleukin-1beta (IL-1beta) which induces beta-cell apoptosis and exerts inhibitory actions on islet beta-cell insulin secretion. IL-1beta seems to act chiefly through induction of nitric oxide (NO) synthesis. Hence, IL-1beta and NO have been implicated as key effector molecules in type 1 diabetes mellitus. In this paper, the influence of endogenously produced and exogenously delivered NO on the regulation of cell proliferation, cell viability and discrete parts of the stimulus-secretion coupling in insulin-secreting RINm5F cells was investigated. Because vitamin E may delay diabetes onset in animal models, we also investigated whether tocopherols may protect beta-cells from the suppressive actions of IL-1 and NO in vitro. To this end, the impact of NO on insulin secretory responses to activation of phospholipase C (by carbamylcholine), protein kinase C (by phorbol ester), adenylyl cyclase (by forskolin), and Ca(2+) influx through voltage-activated Ca(2+) channels (by K(+)-induced depolarization) was monitored in culture after treatment with IL-1beta or by co-incubation with the NO donor spermine-NONOate. It was found that cell proliferation, viability, insulin production and the stimulation of insulin release evoked by carbamylcholine and phorbol ester were impeded by IL-1beta or spermine-NONOate, whereas the hormone output by the other secretagogues was not altered by NO. Pretreatment with gamma-tocopherol (but not alpha-tocopherol) afforded a partial protection against the inhibitory effects of NO, whereas specifically inhibiting inducible NO synthase with N-nitro-L-arginine completely reversed the IL-1beta effects. In contrast, inhibiting guanylyl cyclase with ODQ (1H-[1,2, 4]oxadiazolo[4,3-alpha]-quinoxaline-1-one) or blocking low voltage-activated Ca(2+) channels with NiCl(2) failed to influence the actions of NO. In conclusion, our data show that NO inhibits growth and insulin secretion in RINm5F cells, and that gamma-tocopherol may partially prevent this. The results suggest that phospholipase C or protein kinase C may be targeted by NO. In contrast, cGMP or low voltage-activated Ca(2+) channels appear not to mediate the toxicity of NO in these cells. These adverse effects of NO on the beta-cell, and the protection by gamma-tocopherol, may be of importance for the development of the impaired insulin secretion characterizing type 1 diabetes mellitus, and offer possibilities for intervention in this process.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That Urine excretion note is highly interesting, as it sets me wondering about free radical roles in kidney damage, and the possible prevention with the unique structure of gamma-tocopherol and its metabolites.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That Urine excretion note is highly interesting, as it sets me wondering about free radical roles in kidney damage, and the possible prevention with the unique structure of gamma-tocopherol and its metabolites.
This is most definitely a point of interest. Gamma-Tocopherol is proving to be the antioxidant of primary interest in not only specific, but systemic disease prevention. If much of what these studies holds true, a powerful supportive treatment for disease prevention is on the horizon.

RPN's NOxidant is on par (and even bests) the vast majority of effective antioxidant protection supplements on the market for the price. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
1: Free Radic Res. 2008 Jul;42(7):674-87.Click here to read Links
Gamma-tocopheryl quinone, not alpha-tocopheryl quinone, induces adaptive response through up-regulation of cellular glutathione and cysteine availability via activation of ATF4.
Ogawa Y, Saito Y, Nishio K, Yoshida Y, Ashida H, Niki E.

Human Stress Signal Research Center (HSSRC), National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), Ikeda, Osaka, Japan.

alpha-Tocopheryl quinone (alpha-TQ) and gamma-TQ are oxidized metabolites of the corresponding tocopherol (T) isoforms, which are vitamin E homologues. Unlike alpha-TQ, gamma-TQ functions as an arylating agent that reacts with nucleophiles such as reduced sulphydryl groups and it has unique biological properties such as high toxicity. Increasing evidence indicates that reactive oxygen species and other physiologically existing oxidative stimuli upregulate the antioxidant system, thereby triggering the adaptive response. The present study used PC12 cells and immature primary cortical cells to examine the possible adaptive cytoprotective effects of gamma-TQ against oxidative stress. Pre-treatment with gamma-TQ at sub-lethal concentrations resulted in cytoprotective effects against oxidative stress. gamma-TQ induced a significant increase in the cellular glutathione (GSH) levels while alpha-TQ did not. gamma-TQ did not induce any considerable change in the activity of glutamate-cysteine ligase (GCL), the rate-limiting enzyme in GSH synthesis, whereas it increased the cellular GSH levels by facilitating the availability of cysteine through the induction of xCT, which is the core sub-unit of the x(c)(-) high-affinity cystine transporter system. An activating transcription factor 4 (ATF4)-small interfering RNA effectively attenuated the xCT mRNA level as well as the increase in cellular cysteine levels induced by gamma-TQ, while the NF-E2-related factor (Nrf2)-small interfering RNA treatment did not. Collectively, these findings indicate that gamma-TQ acts as a signal messenger to induce adaptive response through the upregulation of intracellular GSH synthesis via transcriptional activation of ATF4 in order to cope with the forthcoming oxidative insult.

Yes yes...Gamma-Tocopherol is teh awesomeness.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Added bonus:

Titre du document / Document title
Oligomeric procyanidins in apple polyphenol are main active components for inhibition of pancreatic lipase and triglyceride absorption
Auteur(s) / Author(s)
SUGIYAMA Hiroshi (1) ; AKAZOME Yoko (1) ; SHOJI Toshihiko (1) ; YAMAGUCHI Atsuko (1) ; YASUE Masaaki (1) ; KANDA Tomomasa (1) ; OHTAKE Yasuyuki (1) ;
Affiliation(s) du ou des auteurs / Author(s) Affiliation(s)
(1) Fundamental Research Laboratory, Asahi Breweries Limited, 1-21, Midori 1-chome, Moriya-shi, Ibaraki 302-0106, JAPON
Résumé / Abstract
Inhibitory effects of apple polyphenol extract (AP) and procyanidin contained in AP on in vitro pancreatic lipase activity and in vivo triglyceride absorption in mice and humans were examined. AP and procyanidin considerably inhibited in vitro pancreatic lipase activity. However, polyphenols, except for procyanidin, in AP (i.e., catechins, chalcones, and phenol carboxylic acids) showed weak inhibitory activities on pancreatic lipase. Procyanidins separated by normal-phase chromatography according to the degree of polymerization were also examined. Inhibitory effects of procyanidins increased according to the degree of polymerization from dimer to pentamer. On the other hand, pentamer or greater procyanidins showed maximal inhibitory effects on pancreatic lipase. These results suggested that with respect to in vitro pancreatic lipase inhibition, the degree of polymerization was an important factor and oligomeric procyanidin mainly contributed. Next, we performed a triglyceride tolerance test in mice and humans. Simultaneous ingestion of AP and triglyceride significantly inhibited an increase of plasma triglyceride levels in both models. These results suggested that the oligomeric procyanidins contained in AP inhibited triglyceride absorption by inhibiting pancreatic lipase activity in mice and humans.
Revue / Journal Title
Journal of agricultural and food chemistry ISSN 0021-8561 CODEN JAFCAU

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
...Yes yes...Gamma-Tocopherol is teh awesomeness.
And stacked with sesame lignans, it is ruthlessly effective in a compounded manner! :)

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
And stacked with sesame lignans, it is ruthlessly effective in a compounded manner! :)
TTA qualifies too.

That last study I posted elucidates somewhat the reason users are reporting a leaning effect, in addition to the enhanced vascularity.

I know the combination of DCP and NOxidant, as well as Gut health's reduction of bloat and enhanced nutrient uptake, has resulted in me coming in QUITE lean.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
TTA qualifies too.

That last study I posted elucidates somewhat the reason users are reporting a leaning effect, in addition to the enhanced vascularity.

I know the combination of DCP and NOxidant, as well as Gut health's reduction of bloat and enhanced nutrient uptake, has resulted in me coming in QUITE lean.
I have now had a chance to try NOxidant and really enjoyed it. High-powered anti-oxidant protection! The Apple Polyphenols in there alone are worth the price. Not to mention the added benefits of Grape Seed Extract, Greet Tea Extract, and Alpha Lipoic Acid (that recycles some of the other antioxidants), to name a few. Solid value for money! :thumbsup:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have now had a chance to try NOxidant and really enjoyed it. High-powered anti-oxidant protection! The Apple Polyphenols in there alone are worth the price. Not to mention the added benefits of Grape Seed Extract, Greet Tea Extract, and Alpha Lipoic Acid (that recycles some of the other antioxidants), to name a few. Solid value for money! :thumbsup:
Definitely, agree. :)

ViperKing666

Awards
Is this supplement also good for general health/immune system health? I wanted to buy some for my mom.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Is this supplement also good for general health/immune system health? I wanted to buy some for my mom.
Absolutely. It is the most comprehensive and balanced anti-oxidant formula currently available.

ViperKing666

Awards
Absolutely. It is the most comprehensive and balanced anti-oxidant formula currently available.
Ya the formula looks great. Do you know what the ORAC rating is?

Thanks

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have posted an individual ORAC breakdown estimate for the individual ingredients somewhere, but ORAC is a flawed rating system of evaluation free radical quenching/damage prevention ability.

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
so what is the best time to take this? and this will take with GH Products like Powerfull ?

On training days we recommend that you take (3)capsules preferably before bed at night to combat the excessive formation of training induced free radical formation. Taking this before bed at night allows ample time for training induced free-radical formation to act upon cellular/muscle damage, and allowing for cell signaling to occur.(which is very beneficial leading to better gains)

On non-training days, we recommend you take NOxidant first thing in the morning. Dosing would be (3)capsules upon rising in the a.m.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
On workiout days, about 2-3 hours after workout.

On non-training days, anytime in the morning.